HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Rinaldo...

Old
10-11-2011, 12:59 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
hes better then Shelley at this point but that is not saying much.

looking forward to that inevitable Rinaldo/Read/Shelley line.

you know its gonna happen

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:54 AM
FlyersFanatic

vCash: 500
Nope the line was Carcillo-Betts-Lappy.

Powe was playing with Asham and Giroux.

FlyersFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:30 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
That's how i'm remembering it, i'm sure one of those statistical websites could shed some light on it.

*Queue the number crunchers*
Yeah, I believe we used to go like this in the regular season

Hartnell-Carter-Brière
Gagné-Richards-Carcillo
JvR-Giroux-Asham
Powe-Betts-Lappy
Leino

I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanatic View Post
Nope the line was Carcillo-Betts-Lappy.

Powe was playing with Asham and Giroux.
Different seasons I believe. That was sometime during 08-09, when Lappy and Betts wasn't on the team yet.

Towards the end of that year we had something like this going (when healthy), iirc

Gagné-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Asham-Brière-Giroux
Carcillo-Powe-Cote

Then in the playoffs, Ross took the center position on the fourth line and Cote was out of the team.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:25 AM
FlyersFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Yeah, I believe we used to go like this in the regular season

Hartnell-Carter-Brière
Gagné-Richards-Carcillo
JvR-Giroux-Asham
Powe-Betts-Lappy
Leino

I could be wrong though.

Different seasons I believe. That was sometime during 08-09, when Lappy and Betts wasn't on the team yet.
I know the 4th line was Carcillo-Betts-Lappy. I went and saw them up in Buffalo in Novermber of 2009 and they wer together.

Edit: Just watched hightlights of the game lines were

Hartnell-Richards-Giroux
Jvr-Carter-Briere
Asham-Powe-Pyorala
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

So i'm guessing Gagne was hurt and once he came back Pyorala got shown the door so lines eventually looked something like

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Jvr-Powe-Asham
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

FlyersFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:43 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanatic View Post
I know the 4th line was Carcillo-Betts-Lappy. I went and saw them up in Buffalo in Novermber of 2009 and they wer together.

Edit: Just watched hightlights of the game lines were

Hartnell-Richards-Giroux
Jvr-Carter-Briere
Asham-Powe-Pyorala
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

So i'm guessing Gagne was hurt and once he came back Pyorala got shown the door so lines eventually looked something like

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Jvr-Powe-Asham
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy
We're derailing the thread a bit I'm afraid, but nevertheless.

Yeah, I mean of course the lines didn't look the same every game. I'm sure Carcillo was used with Betts and Lappy a fair bit, but when talking about how the team looked in general, Powe wasn't used much as third line (or however you wish to describe that line) center, whereas Giroux saw quite a lot of time in that position. I don't remember seeing Powe playing much with Gagné and Richards. In fact, I think I remember me arguing that he should be their instead of Carcillo (might not have been on these forums though).

Edit: Maybe we should wait for the number crunchers decadentia mentioned to come in and set things straigt, before derailing this thread further.
Edit 2: So, I'm extremely bored at work so I looked it up, and it appears I might've got a pretty terrible memory at times.

Betts had Lappy out with him 84.5% of the time when 5v5 and Carcillo 56.1, but Powe only 20.6, if I've understood this correctly.
Lappy also had Betts and Carcillo as his linemates a lot more often than anyone else.
Carcillo had Richards as his linemate almost as often as he had Betts though, but Lappy was his most common linemate.

Last edited by mirimon: 10-11-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old
10-11-2011, 11:50 AM
kicksave27

I still see no reason for why the flyers need an idiot in their everyday line up, be it shelley or rinaldo. Why not just roll 4 solid lines. Homer's love for the fighter even plays out in his drafts, klotz being the worst, and passing on Hyka to draft a fighter. though that falls into the whole flyers not knowing the CBA thoroughly enough thing as well.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:58 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I still see no reason for why the flyers need an idiot in their everyday line up, be it shelley or rinaldo. Why not just roll 4 solid lines. Homer's love for the fighter even plays out in his drafts, klotz being the worst, and passing on Hyka to draft a fighter. though that falls into the whole flyers not knowing the CBA thoroughly enough thing as well.
I agree with you in that I'd like to see a fourth line that can eat up some minutes. Maybe this Mathers pick can work out though (even if it's highly unlikely). He's off to a good start this season, I believe.

Old
10-11-2011, 02:51 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with you in that I'd like to see a fourth line that can eat up some minutes. Maybe this Mathers pick can work out though (even if it's highly unlikely). He's off to a good start this season, I believe.
rinaldo has done nothing to earn a spot in the pressbox he has been effective in what he brings i have no problem with him in the line up so no changes needed . Shelley @ betts are a down grade not a upgrade only upgrade at this time would be schenn being called up.Young fast not old @ slow is the way we are going this season..........

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:57 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
rinaldo has done nothing to earn a spot in the pressbox he has been effective in what he brings i have no problem with him in the line up so no changes needed . Shelley @ betts are a down grade not a upgrade only upgrade at this time would be schenn being called up.Young fast not old @ slow is the way we are going this season..........
So, no place for Pronger then. Good to know.

Old
10-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Blair Betts is 31. He is not old.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:33 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Except that so far this Season, Rinaldo hasn't been an idiot. He's been effective on the 4th line.

Quote:
The 4th line is already playing more minutes than it has in the recent past.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:42 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Except that so far this Season, Rinaldo hasn't been an idiot. He's been effective on the 4th line.

The 4th line is already playing more minutes than it has in the recent past.
It was replacing Rinaldo we were talking about. He's seen less than 7 minutes per game so far. The 4th line seems to be getting about 1 more minute on even strength so far compared to last year.

Still, only two games into the season though. He might actually get his minutes increased if he continues to keep his cool.

Old
10-11-2011, 07:27 PM
kicksave27

I just get annoyed when a guy makes no effort to make a play on the puck and just looks to bury people.

Old
10-11-2011, 08:07 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
I just get annoyed when a guy makes no effort to make a play on the puck and just looks to bury people.
Hits are cumulative in a game. They wear players down, and cause them to make bad decisions with the puck. The physical game is very important in Hockey

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:22 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Blair Betts is 31. He is not old.
Betts isn't old, but his shoulder is. He has the shoulder of a 65 year old.

He wasn't nearly as effective last year as he was the year before. I'm not sold on Rinaldo just yet, nor am I convinced that he can't be an effective guy on the 4th line (as some seem to have already made up their mind to be).

He's an energy guy, and I like having energy guys on the team. I liked Carcillo, so I'm more than willing to give Rinaldo a chance.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Dr. Octagon

Quote:
I must have missed when Rinaldo hurt the team by doing that this year

Dr. Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:10 AM
hockeyphan25

I would have went through the whole Phantoms team before putting Rinaldo in the line up. His suspension to goal ratio speaks for itself but he has been very impressive so far. The 4th line as a whole has been extremely effective so far. He had a penalty in each game and one was costly but they were more bs penalties likely more to do with his rep. I'm not sure why you'd want him or anyone else in his position getting more than the 7 min he's getting (keep in mind that his 7 min are all even strength).

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
all the calls on Rinaldo were legit calls and earned so far this year.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:11 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Ahahah, go watch a non-contact sport then, *****.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:32 AM
PuckBoy33

He should change his number to "13" and grow a 'stash

Carcillo re-hash. We don't need another bone-headed player on this team. His penalty cost us a goal last night.

And while we are at it, can we PLEASE trade Hartnell already? Either this dude is clumsy or intoxicated, but he is ALWAYS falling down on the ice.

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:57 AM
sectachrome

I hope the best for this guy, but so far it seems like the good things he does just get canceled out by the bad.

sectachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I'm so glad some of you guys are not the GM. Rinaldo has actually played very well, oh and hartnell was awesome in the second and third period last night.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Baddogg

His bone headed penalties in every game so far remind me of car bomb's stupid crap. I'd have to agree with other posters that question why we need this kind of player anyway.

Baddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:06 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Ahahah, go watch a non-contact sport then, *****.
Say you are going to pressure a D in the offensive zone against the boards. If you are an effective forechecker, you have your stick down, to attempt to either get a piece of his pass or close off passing lanes so your teamate up high can intercept it. Usually with a wide low base. You can lay a solid check with your shoulder once you get to him, ala John leclair. The problem with guys like Rinaldo is when they are forchecking they aren't looking to make a play on the way to the hit. Usually they have both hands up chest high to try to shove a guy into a hit. I like hitting, but there's a smart way to do it.

His roughing penalty had nothing to do with a hockey play, it was late and idiotic.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:41 PM
phlocky

He's a better hockey player than Shelly. He's cheaper than Shelly. He's taking the stupid "Carcillo-type" penalties. He's not nearly as good of a fighter as Shelly. He's not as good of an enforcer nor as good at protecting his teammates as shelly.

Unfortunately we "need" Shelly and what he can pring to the team much more than what Rinaldo can bring to the team. Once Shelly is done with his suspension then I think that Rinaldo will be sent back down and Shelly will become the 13th forward and inserted in games where we feel we might need him to step up and fight the other teams tough guy. I'd bet that Rinaldo is sent down and Schenn is brought up. I think that Read will be "demoted" to the 4th line and replaced by Shelly about every 4th game.

Read has laready shown he's more than capable on the 3rd line. I think they will look at how Schenn and Couturier work on the 3rd line and if they look good together then I think Holmgren may feel comfortable with a Schenn - Couturier - Read line and that only then will Hartnell be shopped.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote