HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bad Form?

Old
10-09-2011, 09:45 PM
silkypaws

vCash: 500
Bad Form?

If you can pull off a mike legg goal, should you do it? had a couple opportunities and can do it but do not think its right and feel like its showing off! what are your opinions?

silkypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have no problem with it if you're doing it at high level competitive hockey in order to win a game. If you're blowing out the other team and just showing off, or if you're playing beer league below your level, then it's classless. If someone did it at drop in I'd find it hilarious and obviously if you can do it in a big game like Minnesota - Holy Cross or Granlund's goal in the WC, that's awesome.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:35 PM
silkypaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have no problem with it if you're doing it at high level competitive hockey in order to win a game. If you're blowing out the other team and just showing off, or if you're playing beer league below your level, then it's classless. If someone did it at drop in I'd find it hilarious and obviously if you can do it in a big game like Minnesota - Holy Cross or Granlund's goal in the WC, that's awesome.
in a lower level, where i belong! down a goal or two behind the net but instead i just fed it to the point men. Its a pretty sure-goal but think its showing off too much?

silkypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:16 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I think it's really cheeky and you need to have a lot more game than just being able to do the Michigan if you actually want to do it in a competitive match. It belongs in drop-in and scrimmages, for the most part.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:54 PM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
I disagree - if they're not going to D you up and you can get away with it in a game, in a drop in, go for it. Like it was said - if you're running it up against a bunch of bad players then I doubt you'd ask or care but if someone on my team pulled that off in a game to keep us close I'd be just as thankful as if he'd passed it to me in the slot.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:17 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

A goals a goal. As long as you're not running up the score with it. As far as I'm concerned as long as it works it's no different than a shot from the point or dangling the goalie

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:19 AM
ponder

Agreed with a few of the other posters, as long as you aren't running up the score, and as long as you're not way too good for the level of game you're playing at, then it's just another way to score, go for it. Keep the celebration minimal if you score though.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Rebels21

if you can do it and wanna try it then i say go for it but a kid in one of our games tried it and it fell off his blade. we were coming at him with elbows all night. The other team wont be happy.

Rebels21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:40 AM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
There's nothing worth doing in hockey that won't get you an elbow or two

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Man I spent at least an hour this weekend trying to do puck scoops...the people who can pull it off get a lot of respect. So long as they showboat in a blowout.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:42 PM
SJGoalie32

Concur with the others.

Close game (I'd say within a goal or two, three is borderline, depending on your level and how much time is left) and playing at your level, it's fine. Just another way to try to score.

Blowout game or you playing in a league below your talent level.....don't do it.

Basically what it boils down to is this.....are you trying to do the move in an effort to help your team win the game and you can see that the goaltender is exposing the upper portion of the net on wraparounds; or are you trying to do the move as an egotistical way of showing off your own skill and/or at the expense of your opponent's inferior skill level which you're using to your advantage?

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:53 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Man I spent at least an hour this weekend trying to do puck scoops...the people who can pull it off get a lot of respect. So long as they showboat in a blowout.
I agree with this completely. I can do it no problem on like a garage floor or something, but can't do it on ice for the life of me. Don't think I ever will be either

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:12 PM
spitfires07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere View Post
I agree with this completely. I can do it no problem on like a garage floor or something, but can't do it on ice for the life of me. Don't think I ever will be either
i can do it standing still on the ice

but while skating its a whole other story, and between the legs...no chance

a tip i was told is to pull up with your top hand and push down with your bottom hand at the same time

...in response to the original question, if you can do it 100% then do it, but if you screw up just be prepared for the embarrassment and the other team gunning for you the rest of the game

spitfires07 is offline   Reply With Quote