HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Couturier and Read

Old
10-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
You speak wisdom.

The argument made by some that they MAY flame out is also specious
Not really. Rookies flame out all the time.

10-11-2011, 10:30 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflowd View Post
I still feel like the Flyers are gonna send Couterier down after game 9 for Schenn.
I don't think that would be the worst thing in the world. I'd love to have them both, but with this Betts situation and the organization's reluctance to waive Shelley for some reason I am not sure it is possible. If it isn't, having Schenn up alone would probably have the same impact this season as having Couturier up alone and sending Couturier down would give the Flyers an extra year on the Contract. Also having both up could hinder the development of one if they are stuck on the fourth line or moved to wing. I'm not sure if either have experience playing on the wing, but I'd rather have Couturier learn to do it in the Q than in the NHL. That being said, I'd still like to see them both on this team at the same time this season, but if it doesn't happen (either because Schenn stays down or Couturier gets sent back) it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:17 PM
deflowd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think that would be the worst thing in the world. I'd love to have them both, but with this Betts situation and the organization's reluctance to waive Shelley for some reason I am not sure it is possible.
Yeah unless Read falls off a cliff, or someone suffers a season ending injury in the top 3, it really doesn't make sense to lose Couturier's year of eligibility (he's 18 also) when you have Schenn who's clearly ready. Putting one of them on the fourth line is also really pointless.

Of course this is a good problem to have. I am quite jealous of the current Flyers team, especially after their embarassing destruction of the Devils.

deflowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Not really. Rookies flame out all the time
Your better rookies of which I think Read and Couts are..hit walls but do not totally flame out over the course of a season. Couts does need to put on some lbs and he may hit a wall quicker but Read maybe less so given his age and how he's built.

Now sophomore slumps are another thing....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
I still feel like the Flyers are gonna send Couterier down after game 9 for Schenn.
He might be right...

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:50 PM
PF

I'm just wondering if you send Couturier back after 9 games can you bring him up again later if we aren't against the 50 contract limit? Apart from using the emergency call-up rule that we used to bring Giroux up from his junior team for a game or two a few years ago that is. I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this.

What about once Couturier's team is finished for the year, can he be recalled then during the playoffs? Would this remove a year from his contract/affect his UFA eligibility? I'm not sure if playoff games affect these things.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF View Post
I'm just wondering if you send Couturier back after 9 games can you bring him up again later if we aren't against the 50 contract limit? Apart from using the emergency call-up rule that we used to bring Giroux up from his junior team for a game or two a few years ago that is. I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this.

What about once Couturier's team is finished for the year, can he be recalled then during the playoffs? Would this remove a year from his contract/affect his UFA eligibility? I'm not sure if playoff games affect these things.
He could only be recalled in an emergency situation or when his junior season is finished. I'm not sure if the playoffs count towards the 9 games. It wouldn't effect his UFA eligibility if he plays less than 40 games.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
He could only be recalled in an emergency situation or when his junior season is finished. I'm not sure if the playoffs count towards the 9 games. It wouldn't effect his UFA eligibility if he plays less than 40 games.
I think the playoffs do affect the 9 games, because I remember kings debating whether or not to bring schenn up for the playoffs last year because they were dealing with injuries, I am pretty sure the only thing holding them back was in fact the 9 game thing.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:38 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Keep in mind that it's not played 40 games, it's on the roster for 40 games.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intro9 View Post
How's about something like this?

JVR / Giroux / Jagr
Hartnell / Briere / Voracek
Simmonds / Schenn / Read
Talbot / Coutourier / Nodl

Give Briere back Hartnell, and Voracek can fill that Lieno role with the dishing.

The Schenn line could really do some damage with a good mix of young, feisty, talented players.

and that 4th line is a true, TRUE shutdown line. Nodl has looked fantastic as a 3rd/4th line checker since last seasons playoffs, and has continued that great play early this season. Couts has been great in his own end and Talbot is a very responsible, annoying player to play against.
I like this lineup. Getting Harts back with Danny is a must. Briere looks very frustrated out there right now. I know its only been two games, but Danny does not look like a happy camper. When you start to see him dish out the lazy penalties you just know he is not playing well.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Then after that next year is the sophomore jinx.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:15 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Yeah unless Read falls off a cliff, or someone suffers a season ending injury in the top 3, it really doesn't make sense to lose Couturier's year of eligibility (he's 18 also) when you have Schenn who's clearly ready. Putting one of them on the fourth line is also really pointless.
A week ago I would have agreed with this, and I still might. But given the probability of injuries in the top two lines over the course of the season, and given Couturier's performance in PK and late-game defensive situations, I'm not sure I wouldn't keep him on as a 4th center. You might need to make an effort to give him some additional ice time situationally, but given his most pressing need (at the moment) appears to be strength and (perhaps) professional skating instruction, I'm not certain that keeping him up is really a waste.

If you send him down, and then one of the other three centers go down with an injury, then your looking at, what, Talbot or Betts centering the 3rd line?

Could see it either way, though.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:53 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by intro9 View Post
How's about something like this?

JVR / Giroux / Jagr
Hartnell / Briere / Voracek
Simmonds / Schenn / Read
Talbot / Coutourier / Nodl

Give Briere back Hartnell, and Voracek can fill that Lieno role with the dishing.

The Schenn line could really do some damage with a good mix of young, feisty, talented players.

and that 4th line is a true, TRUE shutdown line. Nodl has looked fantastic as a 3rd/4th line checker since last seasons playoffs, and has continued that great play early this season. Couts has been great in his own end and Talbot is a very responsible, annoying player to play against.
Can tweak as needed, but it's pretty close to what I was thinking.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:25 AM
Guy Incognito

I'd go with:

Simmonds - Giroux - Jagr

JVR - Briere - Voracek

Hartnell - Schenn - Read

Talbot - Couturier - Nodl

Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:57 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I'm still wary of putting Couturier on the 4th line against other teams checkers and enforcers. He won't get a chance to build is defense playing against lesser players (although he would often play against top lines as well) and wouldn't build his offensive skill up playing with Talbot and Nodl (compared to Schenn and Hartnell)

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Why would he play against lesser opposition. Carcillo - Betts - Lappy played against other top lines all game?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:17 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Why would he play against lesser opposition. Carcillo - Betts - Lappy played against other top lines all game?
they won't all the time, not in away games when we don't have the last change, and they'll be matched up against other teams 3rd and 4th lines just by random chance.

Old
10-12-2011, 05:25 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

So does it look like hartnell will be stuck on the 3rd line all year? Making a fantasy decision here. thanks

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:58 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
So does it look like hartnell will be stuck on the 3rd line all year? Making a fantasy decision here. thanks
Probably

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
they won't all the time, not in away games when we don't have the last change, and they'll be matched up against other teams 3rd and 4th lines just by random chance.
Well that all depends how good they are together doesn't it?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:29 PM
DeflatedFootball7

I'm still not sold on Couturier.

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but I cringed several times tonight watching Couturier screw around with the puck in the defensive zone. IMO he still needs to show a bit more defensive awareness before being here permanently. On the plus side his offensive awareness is excellent.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:35 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but I cringed several times tonight watching Couturier screw around with the puck in the defensive zone. IMO he still needs to show a bit more defensive awareness before being here permanently. On the plus side his offensive awareness is excellent.
Where did he screw around with the puck? Serious question, because I missed 2/3rds of the game are you sure he wasn't just taking his time to make the right play, rather than a kneejerk reaction when the puck hits his stick?

Old
10-12-2011, 09:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well you might not want him here, but Lavy playing all the time on the pk, and on the ice with a minute left shows us he wants him here. Did he make mistakes? Yes, but go back all last season and look at our pk. Every one of them made mistakes also.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:37 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
His defensive awareness for an 18 year old player in the NHL as a Rookie, is outstanding. Why do you think he has the 2nd highest TOI total among Forwards on the PK. Including a whopping 7+ minutes tonight on the PK. And he's put on the ice at the end of games with a 1 goal lead. Not sure at all what your looking at. He's the real deal. He has Hockey sense that you can't teach.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote