HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXV (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Hockey Night in Toronto is one of the most compelling reasons to cut funding to the CBC.
If taht happened we'd probably see more of Cherry as he is one of the few things that brings ratings. His views are ridiculous and outdated but people still tune in.

Old
10-11-2011, 12:22 PM
neofury*

Just curious why you think if it were some clueless guy on MTV it would be alright but since it's Cherry on HNIC it isn't okay.

Don't get me wrong I think Cherry is a total tool but I also think suing him over it is quite laughable. He called them pukes and it was pathetic, he misunderstood them and misquoted him which makes him stupid, but why bother sinking to his level or even acknowledging his stupidity? In the past nobody has cared but now that a bunch of folks used these deaths as part of their agenda against fighting and Cherry blabbed his mouth all of the sudden now lawsuits are happening. I didn't see people suing Cherry before nor did I see him being taken off the air due to his prejudice tirades against euros and other players/teams. It's only now that it becomes worthy of suing. I really wish the ex players would stop trying to get 15 minutes of more fame and just stop inciting stupid **** like this aiding the ******** agenda of the media and some fans to eliminate fighting. Suing Cherry is just to bring more publicity to the situation in general

He said what he said and he's an idiot, but he didn't exactly ruin these guys careers with his comments At the end of the day he's entitled to his opinion no matter how stupid he is or how much he misunderstands another persons opinion. There are comparable things said about our own players by the likes of the Antichambre, 110%, Radio, Le Match people all the time.

Old
10-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Following up on Dallas' attendance yesterday: 6305... And Cuba Gooding Jr.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp14590

Old
10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Just curious why you think if it were some clueless guy on MTV it would be alright but since it's Cherry on HNIC it isn't okay.
I don't think it would be alright. I think it would have passed more unnoticed, and maybe those guys wouldn't have made a big thing out of it because it isn't a supposed hockey analyst blasting them away on Saturday night in front of millions of hockey fans. It would have been easier to dismiss as ''wtv, this guy doesn't know anything anyways''.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I think Cherry is a total tool but I also think suing him over it is quite laughable. He called them pukes and it was pathetic, he misunderstood them and misquoted him which makes him stupid, but why bother sinking to his level or even acknowledging his stupidity? In the past nobody has cared but now that a bunch of folks used these deaths as part of their agenda against fighting and Cherry blabbed his mouth all of the sudden now lawsuits are happening. I didn't see people suing Cherry before nor did I see him being taken off the air due to his prejudice tirades against euros and other players/teams. It's only now that it becomes worthy of suing. I really wish the ex players would stop trying to get 15 minutes of more fame and just stop inciting stupid **** like this aiding the ******** agenda of the media and some fans to eliminate fighting. Suing Cherry is just to bring more publicity to the situation in general
I don't think Nilan used these death as an agenda. People have to stop using the word agenda. It's been used incorrectly on so many occasions. Heck, I was told by another poster that I had an agenda, which is ridiculous.

A lot of people used these three deaths to raise questions, and that's absolutely normal. Fighting in hockey was already being debated for quite some time. Over the summer, not one, not two, but three deaths to these type of players happened. I don't see how one can just toss it to the side and not even raise questions.
Not sure about the other two guys, but I know that's all Nilan has done.

Nilan simply said with the way the NHL has evolved and changed their rules, might as well take fighting out. He said if you want to keep it in, remove the instigator rule. There's nothing wrong with that, and I agree with him. That's not having an agenda. That's nothing more than an opinion. If he was hinting that fighting should be removed in every interview, wrote columns or blogged about it, then yea, you could consider him having an agenda, but that's not the case. Just wanted to clear this up.

I don't care if they sue him or not. Good for them. If he refuses to apologize, he will lose if they decide to move forward with that.

Quote:
He said what he said and he's an idiot, but he didn't exactly ruin these guys careers with his comments At the end of the day he's entitled to his opinion no matter how stupid he is or how much he misunderstands another persons opinion. There are comparable things said about our own players by the likes of the Antichambre, 110%, Radio, Le Match people all the time.
The guys on our local shows have never gone that far. The most I can remember is Michel Beaudry saying ''Tom f...... Kostopolous'', but he apologized for it, something Cherry didn't do. They spread rumors, they raised questions, they criticized players. That's all part of the game. But nobody ever flat out insulted them.

Not quite the same.

At the end of the day, I don't really care. Just hoping any bad press will eventually make CBC move away from Cherry. Didn't happen before, so hoping it might now.

Old
10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Following up on Dallas' attendance yesterday: 6305... And Cuba Gooding Jr.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp14590
It was embarrassing watching that game yesterday.

It's very easy to see why Cherry is a hypocrite in that video.

One guy is black and gold.

The other is white, red, and blue.

Old
10-11-2011, 12:59 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:

First of all, a lawsuit is by no means a given. All that's been said so far is that Grimson, Thomson and Nilan are considering further recourse. That could pretty much mean anything from a meeting with Cherry, to expecting an apology, to pursuing legal action, to doing nothing at all after releasing the statement. I can see how people jumped to the conclusion that a law suit would follow (seeing how a legal firm is involved), but that's not necessarily a given.

Secondly, as a member of broadcast media, it's Cherry's responsibility to know where his power ends. He's entitled to his opinions, but his freedom of opinion will never allow him to use his soapbox for baseless personal attacks. He decided to take the discussion away from specific hockey talk and used his time to attack the character of the guys he targeted. It doesn't matter whether it's a VJ on MTV, a weatherman or a talk-show host, you can't baselessly attack an individual's character on the air.

Cherry has definitely said inflammatory things in the past, but they were usually:
1) Specifically providing some kind of commentary on hockey.
2) Spoken in the general (like his attacks on European players).
3) Brushed off by the victim (his attacks on Subban are a good example of this).

Cherry's getting called out for saying something on-air that he had no right to say and quite frankly I think it's been a long time coming.

Old
10-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Andy

Krejci hurt in practice. Might miss the Bruins road trip. See the Bruins board for details.

Old
10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sure he did. But he's still there while the other 2 aren't.
And the team he was with in 07-08 is 95% gone. See the relevance?

Old
10-11-2011, 02:05 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
First of all, a lawsuit is by no means a given. All that's been said so far is that Grimson, Thomson and Nilan are considering further recourse. That could pretty much mean anything from a meeting with Cherry, to expecting an apology, to pursuing legal action, to doing nothing at all after releasing the statement. I can see how people jumped to the conclusion that a law suit would follow (seeing how a legal firm is involved), but that's not necessarily a given.

Secondly, as a member of broadcast media, it's Cherry's responsibility to know where his power ends. He's entitled to his opinions, but his freedom of opinion will never allow him to use his soapbox for baseless personal attacks. He decided to take the discussion away from specific hockey talk and used his time to attack the character of the guys he targeted. It doesn't matter whether it's a VJ on MTV, a weatherman or a talk-show host, you can't baselessly attack an individual's character on the air.

Cherry has definitely said inflammatory things in the past, but they were usually:
1) Specifically providing some kind of commentary on hockey.
2) Spoken in the general (like his attacks on European players).
3) Brushed off by the victim (his attacks on Subban are a good example of this).

Cherry's getting called out for saying something on-air that he had no right to say and quite frankly I think it's been a long time coming.
First of all I'd just like to point out that I never did any research regarding the lawsuit, lawyers, whatever has gone down I was just basing it off word of mouth. Sorry for that but pretty much everyone is making it out to be a lawsuit. Either way I was misinformed.

Secondly I don't disagree with anything you've said I just think legal action is going a bit far. Really why even sink to Cherry's level or dignify him with a response? He doesn't even deserve it. All this is doing is giving the situation and Cherry publicity they don't deserve and believe me when I say this Cherry doesn't care whether or not the publicity is good or bad.

@Kriss E I didn't mean Nilan has an agenda, I meant fans and the media do and they're using Nilan and others as a result. The whole Cherry thing is just another way to give that agenda any kind of publicity. I won't stop using the word agenda because that's exactly what it is, their agenda against fighting or their agenda to stir the pot and get hits, viewers, etc, their opinions are ultimately just there for that reason anyways.

When people are trying to take three tragic incidents and claim like they're all related when they aren't just to try and push their anti-fighting smear campaign, then yeah, it's an agenda.

There's raising questions and then there's abusing a situation to help your stance on something unrelated to it by trying to relate them. I'm not saying it didn't deserve a look but people reacting to it and not giving it any thought and just jumping on the anti-fighting bandwagon is all this is doing and it's exactly what they wanted out of it, because yes it does help further their agenda against fighting. The one area where Cherry was actually right is that people did exactly that, took a situation and tried to relate it to something it isn't related to. These deaths aren't as a result of fighting no matter how many times people try to spin it that way. They were sad unfortunate deaths that all had a reason behind them and people would rather plug their ears, hop on a media bandwagon and go "lalalala" rather than actually face the facts. There is no conclusive evidence to support saying fighting and these deaths are even remotely linked. Media brainwash is pretty much the only reason most people are blabbing on about it.

Last edited by neofury*: 10-11-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old
10-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Don't know if it's been mentioned but there's a rumor saying Eric Nystrom will be claimed. (We all know he will be claimed this time anyways)

Dallas (First team) and Montreal (Second team) are interested. Take it for what it's worth.

The rumor basically says that Dallas' GM told Chuck Fletcher that he'd claim him. There's a bit of talk Montreal is also interested since they lost Betts.

You can read more about the Nystrom situation here.

Last edited by Fel 96: 10-11-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old
10-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned but there's a rumor saying Eric Nystrom will be claimed. (We all know he will be claimed this time anyways)

Dallas and Montreal are interested. Take it for what's it's worth.
Where's the rumor coming from?

Old
10-11-2011, 03:54 PM
ClasslessGuy

Wow carey price sister is hot.... And pk is after her (twitter)

Old
10-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Andy

@fel....Russo's pretty connected. I wonder if Montreal gets their waiver position restored after the Betts fiasco because that would mean that their claim would supercede dallas' if I'm not mistaken.

Closed Thread