HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis claims T.Chorney, NSH claims B.McGrattan

Old
10-11-2011, 03:45 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
As long as the Blues have at least 1 LHD hurt all year (and with Colaiacovo and Jackman on the roster, it's a distinct possibility), it's not inconceivable that they could hang onto Chorney as a 7th defenseman for the duration of the season.

If a 2nd defenseman goes down at the same time, which is almost inevitable, then you'll see Cole called up for some regular NHL playing time. Until then, it's better that he get the minutes in Peoria.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:47 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Because he has to stay on the NHL roster and I doubt he is better than Cole
But he is better than calling Cole up to be a healthy scratch.

Petro
Shatty
Polak
Jackman
Nikitin
Huskins

Nikitin and Huskins will split Cola's minutes and if Chorney deserves to skate more than Huskins, he will but I imagine he is just having a cup of coffee until Cola's injuries are determined.

He was available and filled a need right now, so a smart move by the team.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:18 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
But he is better than calling Cole up to be a healthy scratch.

Petro
Shatty
Polak
Jackman
Nikitin
Huskins

Nikitin and Huskins will split Cola's minutes and if Chorney deserves to skate more than Huskins, he will but I imagine he is just having a cup of coffee until Cola's injuries are determined.

He was available and filled a need right now, so a smart move by the team.
I get what your saying but id rather have Cole in the lineup than Nikitin or Huskins

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:31 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
I get what your saying but id rather have Cole in the lineup than Nikitin or Huskins
Last year, down the stretch, Nikitin was more consistent and better all around. Cole had flashes and he looked really good paired with Shattenkirk. He didn't just get passed over in training camp, either. Cole is an NHL-ready player, but Nikitin is best served playing in the NHL and Cole is best served getting big minutes in the AHL, getting more consistent, and showing he can stay healthy. He's not going to spoil, and I don't think the Blues would get more wins this year because he's in the lineup.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Because he has to stay on the NHL roster and I doubt he is better than Cole

I figured it was something like that.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:34 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Chorney is the definition of a tweener. Kind of sucks for the Oilers organization though, our AHL team really needs help on defense with the Oilers having 3 of their starting d men called up right now.

Looks like Tambellini has to make some moves and bolster the defense.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:20 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Thank god. Good luck Chorney. Edmonton now has 49 contracts.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
dear st louis, please waive chorney within the next 30 days so he can go back to the oilers farm, we really need some D down there
Chorney would have to stay on the roster if he was claimed back by Edmonton if St. Louis ever waived him. He would then have to get waived again by the Oilers and clear to make it down to Oklahoma City. A team claiming a player can't just send him down without again putting him on waivers and having him clear.

I take McGrattan over Stortini so not a bad move by Nashville. McGrattan's the better fighter and as most already said, a better overall player. He doesn't look out of place like Stortini can and has been before.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:50 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Chorney would have to stay on the roster if he was claimed back by Edmonton if St. Louis ever waived him. He would then have to get waived again by the Oilers and clear to make it down to Oklahoma City. A team claiming a player can't just send him down without again putting him on waivers and having him clear.

I take McGrattan over Stortini so not a bad move by Nashville. McGrattan's the better fighter and as most already said, a better overall player. He doesn't look out of place like Stortini can and has been before.
I was under the impression that if the Oilers claimed him back, they'd be able to send him down without having to clear again. Maybe that hinges on whether or not a team other than the Blues put in a claim the first time?

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:59 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Huskins has looked good out there in his limited ice role, Nikitin is a bit ahead of Cole, imo.

I'd prefer Cole get dominant in the AHL before we move him up to play less than 10 minutes a night.

Old
10-11-2011, 07:01 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I was under the impression that if the Oilers claimed him back, they'd be able to send him down without having to clear again. Maybe that hinges on whether or not a team other than the Blues put in a claim the first time?
Waivers works the same for everyone. The only advantage Edmonton has (I believe) is that if St. Louis puts him back on waivers, they get the first choice versus their waiver position. but if they claim him, its for their NHL roster, if they want to send him down they need to put him back on waivers again.

Old
10-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
Waivers works the same for everyone. The only advantage Edmonton has (I believe) is that if St. Louis puts him back on waivers, they get the first choice versus their waiver position. but if they claim him, its for their NHL roster, if they want to send him down they need to put him back on waivers again.
You are correct on the last part, but Edmonton has no advantage in waiver priority. Waiver priority goes by last season's standings until November 1st, when it then changes to this season's current standings (last place team wins the claim if it puts one in and so on).

Old
10-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
If the Oilers claimed him back, he'd be back on their roster and if they wanted to get him to Oklahoma City, he'd have to clear waivers again but he'd again be available to any of the 29 other teams to claim him.

This happened with Chris Bourque a few years ago. The Caps waived him, the Penguins claimed him and he played some games in Pittsburgh before going on waivers once more, only to have the Caps claim him back again. The Caps had to then put him on waivers for the second time and he had to clear in order to get down to Hershey (which I think did eventually happen that year).

Old
10-11-2011, 09:49 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Well I guess we, Nashville, have our enforcer to put in games against Chicago now.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:34 AM
MerryJ99

From the BOH board in regards to waivers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
The original team can put in a waiver claim when new team puts player on waivers. However, if any other team also puts a claim in, the original team has to keep the re-claimed player on their NHL roster (so cap $s and roster #s do count). But if no other team but the original puts a claim in, they can immediately assign him to their AHL affiliate.

(For instance, a few years ago... Sharks lost Traverse to Montreal via waivers and when Montreal put him on waivers, the Sharks did not put a claim in as they had no roster space. Montreal assigned him to their affiliate. Eventually, just before Christmas, the Sharks and Montreal ended up doing a trade so Traverse could be home with family for the holidays.)

After 10 NHL games, or 30 days on the NHL roster -- cumulative -- he has to clear waivers to be assigned to the AHL (regardless of his recall waiver status).

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote