HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): How Many Aces Does It Take To Win A Playoff Series?

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I hang up immediately.
not if he going to test free agency...

Old
10-11-2011, 10:34 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
If they dont make any moves for a 1b, I would be fine with having Mayberry play there full time with the possibility of Utley getting to play there some times to take less stress off of him. I would like Brown to play full time in LF. I personally think that goal #1 should be Hamels this off season.
My thoughts exactly. Mayberry deserves a shot to make the team as an everyday player based on his performance this year and with Howard potentially out to start the season, having him at first works perfectly. Gives Brown a shot nail down the outfield and gives Mayberry equal opportunity to showcase his abilities. When Howard comes back you can move Mayberry to 4th OF or Brown to 4th OF depending on who is playing better or even make a trade at that point if they are both playing well. Who knows. Should be a wild offseason. Maybe Ruben will talk to Homer and have some crazy lineup shuffle discussions.

Old
10-11-2011, 01:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
He's a career .270/.338/.389 hitter which isn't bad, but he's 35 years old. I guess if he's cheap he could be a stop gap to something else later.

I believe Furcal is a free agent.

I don't think that's a good idea. Martinez isn't really good at anything, and I don't think Galvis is ready for the majors.

I think Jimmy is their best option. If he wants 5 years you give him 3 with 2 years of options. Unless they want a stop gap to Galvis. Then I'd probably look at Furcal or Scutaro for a cheaper 2 year deal.

There's a decent chance Howard will be ready to play in April. The rehab is 6-9 months, and professional athletes tend to be on the shorter side of recovery times.
Even if it may be 6-9 months, he'd have to get back into shape as well, but can only do that plus with practice when he's all better. He can't even get surgery right now till the swelling goes down.

Old
10-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
"If I was older I'd take a shorter term. I'll be 33 by the time I get the contract. I've probably got a good six years left of being able to perform at a high level, possibly even more."

Rollins is hilarious. Who does he think he is, lidstrom?

Old
10-11-2011, 02:32 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
"If I was older I'd take a shorter term. I'll be 33 by the time I get the contract. I've probably got a good six years left of being able to perform at a high level, possibly even more."

Rollins is hilarious. Who does he think he is, lidstrom?
Where has the "high" level been the last couple years?

10-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Even if it may be 6-9 months, he'd have to get back into shape as well, but can only do that plus with practice when he's all better. He can't even get surgery right now till the swelling goes down.
True, but luckily you don't have to be in awesome shape to play 1st base.

Is it time for the Marlins to go on a trading binge again? I might try to get Hanley Ramirez after a down year. I know he seems like a ***** but that might be curable by a room full of good dudes, and winning.

Old
10-11-2011, 05:13 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:

Is it time for the Marlins to go on a trading binge again? I might try to get Hanley Ramirez after a down year. I know he seems like a ***** but that might be curable by a room full of good dudes, and winning.
I would LOVE to get him, but I don't think the Marlins would take a chance with Howard. Also, why would we trade him to a competitor?

Old
10-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Jester

Quote:

No. Just no. Ramirez is a grade A d-bag with low compete levels.

Old
10-12-2011, 01:06 AM
SolidSnakeUS

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-10171981

Maybe we could swing for Votto?

Also, does anyone think we could ever tear away Hosmer from the Royals?

Old
10-12-2011, 07:38 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-10171981

Maybe we could swing for Votto?

Also, does anyone think we could ever tear away Hosmer from the Royals?
No and no no no no NO. This isn't fantasy baseball. Eric Hosmer is as untouchable as it gets coming from a horrible rebuilding KC team. Votto may be moved next season, but the Reds are certainly going to at least try to resign him.

Old
10-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
I would LOVE to get him, but I don't think the Marlins would take a chance with Howard. Also, why would we trade him to a competitor?
I didn't mean trade Howard for him, sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No. Just no. Ramirez is a grade A d-bag with low compete levels.
You'd be banking on the idea that moving from Florida to here would have an impact on his negative personal qualities. It'd be a risk for sure, but there's no denying his talent.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Jester

Quote:
You'd be banking on the idea that moving from Florida to here would have an impact on his negative personal qualities. It'd be a risk for sure, but there's no denying his talent.
Well, he hit .243 with 10HR this year, so there are questions about his talent. Largely because his work ethic is questionable.

On top of that he is a bad defensive player.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Well, he hit .243 with 10HR this year, so there are questions about his talent.
Really? Maybe by you...

He's a career .306/.380/.506 hitter, who has hit .330+ twice. His OBP this year was .005 lower than Rollins', despite only hitting .243. Which, by the way, might have had something to do with his .275 BABIP, which is 64 points lower than his career average BABIP.

Say what you want about his attitude, but there is NO questioning his talent.

EDIT: Also his 10 HR's came in 338 AB's. That would be 19 HR's with his career average AB's.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Jester

Might have something to do with the fact that he's quit on his team multiple times the last couple years, and the only person in FLA that can stand him at this point is the owner (who apparently loves him).

Your talent is worth jack **** if you don't care enough to use it.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Might have something to do with the fact that he's quit on his team multiple times the last couple years, and the only person in FLA that can stand him at this point is the owner (who apparently loves him).

I tend to butt heads with Jester's opinions but he's right on this one. Hanley Ramirez is a lazy sack of **** who wouldn't last 10 minutes in this city with that kind of play.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

I'm not sure how a 64 point drop from his career BABIP is related to him quitting on his teammates.

Anyway, I said question his attitude all you want, just not his talent. I also said it'd be a risk and you'd be banking on the change of scenery, the clubhouse, and playing for a winning team having an effect on his attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I tend to butt heads with Jester's opinions but he's right on this one. Hanley Ramirez is a lazy sack of **** who wouldn't last 10 minutes in this city with that kind of play.
Maybe it has something to do with playing in front of 12 people in a ****** stadium on a team that is in the same division as us and the Braves?

Don't get me wrong I think he's a jerk, but so are plenty of good ball players.

Last edited by Protest: 10-12-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old
10-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Jester

Quote:
I'm not sure how a 64 point drop from his career BABIP is related to him quitting on his teammates.

Anyway, I said question his attitude all you want, just not his talent. I also said it'd be a risk and you'd be banking on the change of scenery, the clubhouse, and playing for a winning team having an effect on his attitude.
How much attention have you paid to the Hanley Ramirez circus in FLA other than his stat lines?

BABIP can easily fall off if you stop squaring the ball up as much because you stop caring about working at your craft.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Hanley was traded by the Red Sox because of his attitude right?

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
10-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Hanley was traded by the Red Sox because of his attitude right?
Eh... he was traded because they wanted/needed Beckett. This attitude thing has really surfaced over the last few years.

Independent of his attitude is the fact that Ramirez is not a good SS defensively. There has been a lot of chatter over the years of moving him to the OF.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
How much attention have you paid to the Hanley Ramirez circus in FLA other than his stat lines?

BABIP can easily fall off if you stop squaring the ball up as much because you stop caring about working at your craft.
Yea I know he's a d-bag. He's been benched more than once, he's been criticized a lot for his lack of effort, his manager has been fired etc.

That's what would make it a risk, and also would be the only reason you'd be able to get him at all. If he wasn't a risk there would be no shot at getting him because he's an immense talent.

There's also the chance he doesn't care because he plays on a team that draws 137 people on a good night. Maybe he'd actually play for a good team, with a player friendly manager, and a strong fan base? Maybe he needs to get out of Florida? Maybe he's just a d-bag that will never change regardless of his situation? I don't know, that's why its a risk.

But if you could get him for a good deal, it'd might be a risk worth taking.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Eh... he was traded because they wanted/needed Beckett. This attitude thing has really surfaced over the last few years.

Independent of his attitude is the fact that Ramirez is not a good SS defensively. There has been a lot of chatter over the years of moving him to the OF.
What is your preferred course of action at short stop this off season?

Closed Thread