HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injuries and player sizes

Old
10-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Chara and the band of idiots were pretty friggin quiet when Laraque was on the bench.
We still saw cheap shots like the guy on Phenix with the head shot on AK taht put him out, I'm sure we could bring up a lot of incidents.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:20 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Chara and the band of idiots were pretty friggin quiet when Laraque was on the bench.

And in case you need the proof that Laraque was dressed:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2009041801

So. You know. Yeah.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Aeneas

i don't think you can accurately correlate a tough guy with preventing injuries, unless you did some sort of anonymous questionnaire among hockey players asking if they held back on certain players because they were afraid of retaliation from a tough guy. I feel like a lot of our injuries have been fluke injuries, i.e markov, cammy, campoli.... looking at pacioretty's injury we all wanted chara to be punished in some sort of way, but i am not sure if anyone in the league is up to doing that in a fight, would have been nice to see a suspension but i think we can all agree if that happened this year he'd be gone. Best revenge is beating them on the scoreboard in my books... an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Windymind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
i don't think you can accurately correlate a tough guy with preventing injuries, unless you did some sort of anonymous questionnaire among hockey players asking if they held back on certain players because they were afraid of retaliation from a tough guy. I feel like a lot of our injuries have been fluke injuries, i.e markov, cammy, campoli.... looking at pacioretty's injury we all wanted chara to be punished in some sort of way, but i am not sure if anyone in the league is up to doing that in a fight, would have been nice to see a suspension but i think we can all agree if that happened this year he'd be gone. Best revenge is beating them on the scoreboard in my books... an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind
The problem is when they beat your players, you can't beat them on the scoreboard.

Windymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:45 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windymind View Post
Thank you all! Short thread are the best. They remain on topic and you can read all comments.

So, according to our group, the main reason is:
1. Bad luck
2. Jacques Martin's defensive system
3. Bad summer training

Tough guys don't really prevent injuries of others.
AK has a six pack.
You left out the most important reason. Martin's Offensive system.

Like it or not, the team we have on the ice is the team we have. We can complain all we want about size (or lack of) or lack of toughness or anything. But it will not change a thing. We are small on offense.

Martin has the Habs playing an offensive system that is not suited for smaller forwards. Chip the puck into the offensive zone and then go fight for the puck on the boards. Our little guys are willing to do it but over a period of time, they cannot take the punishment as shown by Cammy's injury last year. Ditto for DD.

With our speed and skill level, the Habs should be spending more time skating the puck into the offensive zone instead of dumping and chasing. But that's Martin. Sticking to his guns regardless of what talent he has sitting in front of him.

One more reason JM will never win a Cup. Successful coaches mold their game plan around the players to take advantage of their strengths instead of forcing the players to play a system that exposes their weaknesses. Sort of like trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote