HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tonight on RDI : a 2 hours debate on violence in hockey.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:52 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

vCash: 500
Tonight on RDI : a 2 hours debate on violence in hockey.

That should be interesting. The Réseau de l'Information (RDI) will hold a 2 hours debate at the show "24 heures en 60 minutes" tonight at 7 PM, Eastern time. The question launching the debate will be : "Has hockey become a dangerous sport?".

But it's their guest list that should make it an interesting (and intelligent) debate. There will be interviews with :

- Ken Dryden
- Ian Laperrière

Also invited at the debate :

- Dany Dubé
- Philippe Cantin (La Presse)
- Gilles Courteau (commissioner of the QMJHL)
- Richard Trottier (former referee and current head of the officiating in the QMJHL)
- Sylvain Lalonde (head of Hockey Québec)
- Danièle Sauvageau (in charge of a QMJHL committee on violence in hockey)
- Maryse Lassonde (neuropsychologist, works for the Habs)
- Also 2 mothers of hockey players with different views on the topic

Don Cherry has not been invited, but hopefully his followers will also watch this...

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Aeneas

this would be interesting, i wish i understood french better

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:41 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Of course hockey is dangerous, what a useless question.

"They play their sport on the hardest surface in the world, with knifes on their feet!"

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:44 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
There's a difference between being cut by a skate and be intentionally struck in the head. Not a dumb question at all.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

looks like the most knowledgeable person to be having such a debate. The rest will be heated personal biased opinions trying to push their agenda (pro or anti fighting).

Might be interesting nonetheless.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:01 PM
PricePkPatch

Will the option of getting violent on hockey commentators considered?

'cause I am all in for fights in hockey if I can punch Edward or Cherry

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Meandmyself

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post

looks like the most knowledgeable person to be having such a debate. The rest will be heated personal biased opinions trying to push their agenda (pro or anti fighting).

Might be interesting nonetheless.
And you think that she won't push her agenda? She is against violence in sports. Here is the proof...

Meandmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:23 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
There's a difference between being cut by a skate and be intentionally struck in the head. Not a dumb question at all.
The video wasn't meant to be my argument, just a fun (and admittedly only partially related) way of showing how blatantly obvious it is that hockey is dangerous. 200+ lbs athletes who are getting stronger and faster with each passing year rip around the ice and hit each other into walls, clearly not safe to say the least. More players are injured every night, so "Is hockey dangerous?" is a huge oversimplification of the problem and useless to discuss, "How can we reduce head injuries in hockey?" would be a much more productive starting point.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Maxpac

Phillippe Cantin

I remember him saying on CKAC that it was a bad thing that Habs fans cheered when Men fought Prust at the bell center....

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:31 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmyself View Post
And you think that she won't push her agenda? She is against violence in sports. Here is the proof...

Her agenda is related to the study of the brain, specifically concussions. Doesnt take a genius to be aware that violence leads to many of those incidents, and that people (like she says) dont realize how terrible a concussion is for the human body, thus people not caring about fights and violence. There is no positive to violence. It's negative by nature.
Yea she has her agenda i guess, everyone does. At least shell be (hopefully) be using more scientific arguments. if they let her

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:50 PM
neofury*

Quote:

I didn't even know about this video and I immediately thought of that when reading his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Her agenda is related to the study of the brain, specifically concussions. Doesnt take a genius to be aware that violence leads to many of those incidents, and that people (like she says) dont realize how terrible a concussion is for the human body, thus people not caring about fights and violence. There is no positive to violence. It's negative by nature.
Yea she has her agenda i guess, everyone does. At least shell be (hopefully) be using more scientific arguments. if they let her
The problem isn't fighting the problem is cheap shots. You choose to fight most cases, you don't choose to be cheap shot. If you get concussed in a fight that's really a shame but at least it's something you chose to do.

Eliminate these from happening and fighting will be less common. They won't need enforcers if the NHL actually enforced their own rules and got rid of the instigator rule. I agree with people saying it's an over-simplified version of the issue at hand and frankly it's yet another way for the media and bandwagoner's to push their agenda against fighting.

The problem isn't fighting, the problem is cheap shots. If the NHL actually punished players accordingly cheap shots would be less frequent, fights would therefore be less frequent eliminating the need for a fighter, thus resulting in less staged fights if any, and then real fights would occur only when emotions boil over, between actual players not 6'4" 230lbs ogres who have no skill and are only on the ice for the purpose of fighting.

Again I must say it's another obvious example of media people and others in general using anything they can to push their agenda against fighting. No doubt the three unrelated deaths are routinely brought up in this discussion as well, which to be quite frank is pathetic.

Also saying there is no positive to violence is just silly. Tons of sports use violence as their bread and butter, Hockey, Rugby, Football, it's all about the crushing hits and all that. Stuff that is far more likely to give you a concussion than a less than 1 minute scrap where you have the refs tugging away at you and only get a few actual shots off each in most cases. Not saying you can't be concussed by it but the focus is misplaced. If it weren't for fighting who knows where the state of hockey popularity in the states would be like right now but I'd imagine it did help to grow the sport. We are the only sport outside of professional fighting that allows it and personally I don't see anything wrong with it. It's staged fighting I don't like, or forcing a guy to fight and then slapping him silly with an elbow pad while the officials to jack ****. If a person chooses to fight due to emotions boiling over and it's mutual I see no problem with it. It's better than pulling a Bertuzzi and keeping it bottled up and then just absolutely killing the guy with a cheap shot.

Last edited by neofury*: 10-12-2011 at 01:02 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:55 PM
BBrowser

I remember an interview with Laperriere where he said his worse hockey memory was breaking a guy's neck. And that the next time he sees a guy with his head down, he'll do it again.

Forget the rules and the debates, start by dressing actual human beings for the games.

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:05 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I didn't even know about this video and I immediately thought of that when reading his post.

The problem isn't fighting the problem is cheap shots. You choose to fight most cases, you don't choose to be cheap shot. If you get concussed in a fight that's really a shame but at least it's something you chose to do.

Eliminate these from happening and fighting will be less common. They won't need enforcers if the NHL actually enforced their own rules and got rid of the instigator rule. I agree with people saying it's an over-simplified version of the issue at hand and frankly it's yet another way for the media and bandwagoner's to push their agenda against fighting.

The problem isn't fighting, the problem is cheap shots. If the NHL actually punished players accordingly cheap shots would be less frequent, fights would therefore be less frequent eliminating the need for a fighter, thus resulting in less staged fights if any, and then real fights would occur only when emotions boil over, between actual players not 6'4" 230lbs ogres who have no skill and are only on the ice for the purpose of fighting.

Again I must say it's another obvious example of media people and others in general using anything they can to push their agenda against fighting. No doubt the three unrelated deaths are routinely brought up in this discussion as well, which to be quite frank is pathetic.

Also saying there is no positive to violence is just silly. Tons of sports use violence as their bread and butter, Hockey, Rugby, Football, it's all about the crushing hits and all that. Stuff that is far more likely to give you a concussion than a less than 1 minute scrap where you have the refs tugging away at you and only get a few actual shots off each in most cases. Not saying you can't be concussed by it but the focus is misplaced. If it weren't for fighting who knows where the state of hockey popularity in the states would be like right now but I'd imagine it did help to grow the sport. We are the only sport outside of professional fighting that allows it and personally I don't see anything wrong with it. It's staged fighting I don't like, or forcing a guy to fight and then slapping him silly with an elbow pad while the officials to jack ****. If a person chooses to fight due to emotions boiling over and it's mutual I see no problem with it. It's better than pulling a Bertuzzi and keeping it bottled up and then just absolutely killing the guy with a cheap shot.
No offense but that pretty much sums up your post.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:16 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Interesting debate right now...

Old
10-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:

Well at least her ''agenda'' is based on medical facts, and not on ''less violence will make hockey gay!!11''

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Meandmyself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Well at least her ''agenda'' is based on medical facts, and not on ''less violence will make hockey gay!!11''
I didn't had the time to watch the show, did someone really said that?

By the way someone know where I can watch that show on internet?

Old
10-13-2011, 01:13 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
I didn't had the time to watch the show, did someone really said that?

By the way someone know where I can watch that show on internet?
Here

Old
10-13-2011, 01:50 AM
Meandmyself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Thanks!

Old
10-13-2011, 02:03 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

great debate.

BTW, Doc Brown from Back to the future is in the front row

MooseOllini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Aurel Joliat

I'm tire of this debate about violence.

Hockey is a violent sport since 1875 ! It's for this reason that it became so popular. Now we want to change everything...

Baseball has the same rules since forever but in hockey, there is always a debate to change the rules

If you don't like violence, don't play hockey or go watch soccer

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:23 PM
BeerHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
I'm tire of this debate about violence.

Hockey is a violent sport since 1875 ! It's for this reason that it became so popular. Now we want to change everything...

Baseball has the same rules since forever but in hockey, there is always a debate to change the rules

If you don't like violence, don't play hockey or go watch soccer
Gladiator were really popular back, but it disapeared.

Football is a violent game, but they change the rule to protect the player.
Why can't hockey do the same. Quick question, next game against pittsburgh what do you rather see, a beautifull goal set up by Crosby and Malkin, or Matt Cooke elbowing PK? a great clean body check along the boards or Chara's "hit" on MaxPac?
and don't make me cry like cherry saying that teaching people not to Head hunt while hitting someone will remove all bodychecks from the game...come on...

just to know...

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote