HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Where in the World is Kirill Kabanov ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2011, 11:48 AM
  #26
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Also, Kabanov cant play for the Armada because he hasn't reported to the club.

I think he's bound for Sweden but haven't heard an official word on it yet.

Some interesting quotes from him via Sports.ru this morning:
http://futureconsiderations.ca/kaban...areer-choices/
This interview is very disheartening. And very worrisome. I hear a lot of woe is me, why me, instead of, "wherever I wind up, I will work my hardest to make the Islanders next year". Sounds like we might have another Filatov on our hands. Send him to Sweden and let him stay there for the next 2 years. This kid will never learn.

I may sound like I'm overreacting, but it sounds like the same old Kabanov. I can understand his frustration, especially since this isn't his fault (this time), but you can't talk like that. He certainly didn't say things like that when he signed his contract. He sounds like a spoiled little kid. "I didn't make the Islanders, so the NHL and North America suck" He's basically saying that.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:50 AM
  #27
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,877
vCash: 500
That quote could have very easily been taken out of context and could simply be him talking ill of his time in the Q where his stock dropped like a stone.


As far as development goes... this is golden. Yes, we lose a year out of his contract but he gets to play against men and he learns the all-around Swedish game.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:51 AM
  #28
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,846
vCash: 500
I dunno how much stock I put in these Russian interviews they always seem to have an anti-NHL bias so I don't buy it.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:57 AM
  #29
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,873
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
This interview is very disheartening. And very worrisome. I hear a lot of woe is me, why me, instead of, "wherever I wind up, I will work my hardest to make the Islanders next year". Sounds like we might have another Filatov on our hands. Send him to Sweden and let him stay there for the next 2 years. This kid will never learn.

I may sound like I'm overreacting, but it sounds like the same old Kabanov. I can understand his frustration, especially since this isn't his fault (this time), but you can't talk like that. He certainly didn't say things like that when he signed his contract. He sounds like a spoiled little kid. "I didn't make the Islanders, so the NHL and North America suck" He's basically saying that.
I agree but the more I think about it this article really means nothing with out knowing the context of his quotes. He could have said the things you mentioned but the writer just chose to exclude them.

His quote could have been manipulated like the press does quite often and it could be the question he was answering is what did you expect from coming to North America? His first quote wasn't that bad all it really said was in Russia every one kept telling me come to America your gonna be a star kid I came and it wasn't like that at all. I still think he's changed a bit since he was first drafted and this situation clearly isn't his fault really and got to remember we only used a 3rd round pick on him this is no where near Filatov situation.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:06 PM
  #30
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
So this is another example about how flat out awful that rule is with the CHL that you can't put anyone under the age of 20 in the minors. Kabanov should've been starting the season with Bridgeport and allowed to grow there but no here comes the CHL rule not allowing that. Then he gets picked up by a team that already has their 2 foreign import players. So the kid then gets hamstrung and crap like this happens. It really has become bad comedy.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:17 PM
  #31
UkraineTrain
Registered User
 
UkraineTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ukraine
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
That quote could have very easily been taken out of context and could simply be him talking ill of his time in the Q where his stock dropped like a stone.


As far as development goes... this is golden. Yes, we lose a year out of his contract but he gets to play against men and he learns the all-around Swedish game.
I've read this interview in Russian and yes, quotes have been taken out of context. KK doesn't seem frustrated, he seems pretty excited about whole Islanders organization and coach Capuano. He said that he made a lot of mistakes in the past and he blames nobody but himself. Nice interview with nice kid.

UkraineTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:26 PM
  #32
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UkraineTrain View Post
I've read this interview in Russian and yes, quotes have been taken out of context. KK doesn't seem frustrated, he seems pretty excited about whole Islanders organization and coach Capuano. He said that he made a lot of mistakes in the past and he blames nobody but himself. Nice interview with nice kid.
Can you speak a little bit about that quote?

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:27 PM
  #33
NYI78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Milford CT
Country: United States
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
So this is another example about how flat out awful that rule is with the CHL that you can't put anyone under the age of 20 in the minors. Kabanov should've been starting the season with Bridgeport and allowed to grow there but no here comes the CHL rule not allowing that. Then he gets picked up by a team that already has their 2 foreign import players. So the kid then gets hamstrung and crap like this happens. It really has become bad comedy.
exactly...its seems that his frustartion is not with the nhl its that he has nowhere to play in north america...thats why this rule sucks he should be in bport right now

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
  #34
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
exactly...its seems that his frustartion is not with the nhl its that he has nowhere to play in north america...thats why this rule sucks he should be in bport right now
It's been said before by several posters, Sid for one, but I'll just re-iterate. As frustrating as it can be to have players that are sore of I'm between in their development, like Nino as well, it is a sound rule. If this wasn't in place, junior hockey would get completely cannibalized by minor league hockey and the NHL would begin to lose one of it's premiere developmental leagues.

So as much as it can stink, there's a good reason the rule is there.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:49 PM
  #35
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
That quote could have very easily been taken out of context and could simply be him talking ill of his time in the Q where his stock dropped like a stone.


As far as development goes... this is golden. Yes, we lose a year out of his contract but he gets to play against men and he learns the all-around Swedish game.
I disagree completely with the bolded part. Kabanov needs to dominate on a North American rink this year ! He needs to learn the North American game. Playing 4th line minutes in Sweden does not help him learn the North American game. To me, this is a wasted year. I wish both Johan Sunstrom and KK were in junior hockey this year. Dominating gives you confidence (look at Strome), playing on the 4th line does not. Big mistake (just my opinion, what do I know ?).

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:57 PM
  #36
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
It's been said before by several posters, Sid for one, but I'll just re-iterate. As frustrating as it can be to have players that are sore of I'm between in their development, like Nino as well, it is a sound rule. If this wasn't in place, junior hockey would get completely cannibalized by minor league hockey and the NHL would begin to lose one of it's premiere developmental leagues.

So as much as it can stink, there's a good reason the rule is there.
Quite the opposite, it would add more legitimacy to leagues like the ECHL and AHL. I'm sorry but with the exception of some players the league itself really has turned to crap. Also it wouldn't cannibalize the CHL because it would also give other players the chance to make teams.

It's not like there is that many players that could have even made the jump to the ECHL/AHL based on size and maturity alone. Maybe some in the top 10 and that's it? The only reason the rule is in place is for the CHL to make money and that's it, and guys like Kabanov are hurting because of it because he could be in Bridgeport right now learning the system and playing with teamates instead of being sent to the SEL.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
  #37
E_Godard
Registered User
 
E_Godard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Section 103
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UkraineTrain View Post
I've read this interview in Russian and yes, quotes have been taken out of context. KK doesn't seem frustrated, he seems pretty excited about whole Islanders organization and coach Capuano. He said that he made a lot of mistakes in the past and he blames nobody but himself. Nice interview with nice kid.
Thanks for the rehash, I was a bit taken back when I read this:

Quote:
“Everyone [in Russia] kept saying ‘NHL, NHL.’ You get there and will be famous.. As a boy I had an impression [the NHL] was paradise. But when I came here I realized that the made-up image and reality are different things… Perhaps I made a mistake that I didn’t stay [in the KHL] and went [to North America] hoping I’d be the number one pick”

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:59 PM
  #38
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,692
vCash: 500
Yeah, the SEL was horrible for Zetterberg, Forsberg and others.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:15 PM
  #39
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 1130
I have never seen a person get so scrutanized for comments then Kabanov by you people. He wants to play for our organization and is frustrated that he will be in Europe playing instead.

It is just like last year when he was late and 2/3rd of you wanted to give him 20 lashes

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:17 PM
  #40
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I have never seen a person get so scrutanized for comments then Kabanov by you people. He wants to play for our organization and is frustrated that he will be in Europe playing instead.

It is just like last year when he was late and 2/3rd of you wanted to give him 20 lashes
ohhh kinky

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:18 PM
  #41
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
ohhh kinky
The other third wanting spanking.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:23 PM
  #42
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,873
vCash: 234
Hockey Break just posted this on his twitter:

Quote:
Kabanov says he did not say he doesn't like the NHL. He meant at the time, before the draft, he may have made a mistake going to N.A.
Quote:
More Kabanov: He says he is proud to be apart of the NHL, and to not always listen to the media because reporters may change interviews
Quote:
Kabanov is very upset that a comment he made was taken out of context and this is all a misunderstanding.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:30 PM
  #43
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I disagree completely with the bolded part. Kabanov needs to dominate on a North American rink this year ! He needs to learn the North American game. Playing 4th line minutes in Sweden does not help him learn the North American game. To me, this is a wasted year. I wish both Johan Sunstrom and KK were in junior hockey this year. Dominating gives you confidence (look at Strome), playing on the 4th line does not. Big mistake (just my opinion, what do I know ?).
I think the Swedes play a game that is very transferable across the sea. How many Swedes have we seen play top 6 minutes and bottom 6 minutes. They are being thought the all-around game. Nielsen is what he is because of his years in Sweden. Granted, Kabanov only get a year and he will probably be playing bottom 6 minutes but there is so much more than games. There is practice, there is the professional lifestyle. I'm sure he'll learn quite a bit both on and off the ice and he'll come back to us a better all around player who is already used to playing with grown adults.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:38 PM
  #44
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,605
vCash: 500
I think Kabanov would benefit from playing against men in pro hockey MORE THAN he would playing junior. Even with less playing time, that level of competition (talent, size/strength, less time/space to make plays) is something he'll face in the NHL, something he'll need to overcome.

I don't believe in rushing prospects, for sure, but especially Kabanov. He's got real enthusiasm for the game and a lot of potential, but we won't be an effective NHL player unless he gets stronger and learns to play different.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:41 PM
  #45
pattyb91
Registered User
 
pattyb91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,590
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Kabanov is pissed that people twisted that interview like that...he made it clear that he was talking about before his draft, but they failed to mention that in the article. That article should not be a concern at all.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:56 PM
  #46
UkraineTrain
Registered User
 
UkraineTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ukraine
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
First of all sorry for my bad English. I've tried to make translation of some parts of interview.

Quote:
- You have lost heavily in rating. Are you happy about Draft?

- Yes, very happy. Insanely happy, I would say. Because the "Islanders" - a team where the young have a chance. I just have to take that chance. It does not matter in what round I was selected.

- It was possible to watch a few matches from last year's Islanders rookie camp. I was surprised that you have paid great attention to defense, although this was not previously been seen.
- I am seriously working on this component, backchecking. I want to be a more versatile player. Perhaps that is why the stats in the junior league was low, as trying to keep up everywhere. In any case, the main thing - that the team won, but the personal stats is not so important.

- Speaking of training camp - until recently you were with the Islanders, but played only one game. Why?
- I do not know, you have to ask Jack Capuano. I had a chance, I played. The main task of our unit was not to score, but play well in defense and don't let them score. For this task we sort of managed.

- Assistant coach Dean Chynoweth was satisfied with you,but you didn't play anymore.
- Well, not all at once. Islanders have a lot of good players, and Capuano gave preference to others.

- They say that Capuano is very pleasant coach.
- Very good coach, very funny. He jokes frequently, I like it.

- How do you like North American hockey?
- It's very different hockey (from Russian), other preparation. Tough style. There is less time to think.

- Continuing the theme of the training camp: who are you most impressed with?
- Kyle Okposo, Frans Nielsen and Mark Streit.

- What about Tavares?
- Tavares is Tavares. He is the first draft pick, that says a lot.

- Did you manage to play with Ryan Strome?
- Ryan is a very good player, it was a pleasure to play with him. We played with him in the rookie camp and in the main training camp. Great guy and a very technical player.

- As far as we know, some Islanders legends visit team's trainings. Had to meet someone?
- I'm familiar with Mike Bossy, he's working on the Islanders. We've been talking a lot. What did he say? To work on himself. A couple of times met with Brian Trottier, with Denis Potvin and many others. I was surprised that all these legendary hockey players are very down to Earth and very friendly, always willing to give some advice. No neglecting to youngsters, only support.

- Are you ready to play in the AHL?
- Well, I am too young for the AHL, but ready. If they say to play there - I'll play. In principle, this is a good school.

- Do you want to play at WJC? This year is your last chance.
- Yes, but they will not call me ...

- And in general?
- Of course I do. How can you not want to play for your country? Yes, maybe I have said something bad in the past, but it remains in the past.

- Valery Bragin named you one of the candidates for the junior team.
- You cheered me. Of course, I'll go, no question I will go.

UkraineTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:09 PM
  #47
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UkraineTrain View Post
First of all sorry for my bad English. I've tried to make translation of some parts of interview.
Thanks... different tone than the quoted bits from *********** would have you think.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:18 PM
  #48
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
- Do you want to play at WJC? This year is your last chance.
- Yes, but they will not call me ...

- And in general?
- Of course I do. How can you not want to play for your country? Yes, maybe I have said something bad in the past, but it remains in the past.

- Valery Bragin named you one of the candidates for the junior team.
- You cheered me. Of course, I'll go, no question I will go.


This part I'm very psyched about. If he plays in the WJC I'd be thrilled !

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:24 PM
  #49
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,014
vCash: 500
I had a strong feeling that he'd be all sad panda face when he was sent down. The comments he made when he was given his ELC sounded to me as though he felt that he has arrived & his spot on the Islanders was secured. Clearly it wasn't.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:36 PM
  #50
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UkraineTrain View Post
First of all sorry for my bad English. I've tried to make translation of some parts of interview.
thanks for translating and posting the interview.

And that was NOT bad English....I've seen worse from those who were born and educated in North America, sadly

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.