HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The guys you wanted from the last drafts!

Old
10-12-2011, 01:01 PM
ruski17

vCash: 500
2005: Wanted Brule
2006: Wanted Summers & Marchand
2007: Wanted Ellerby, Godfrey, Legein & Bashkirov
2008: Wanted Deschamps
2009: Wanted Leblanc, Caron & Ashton
2010: Wanted McFarland, Etem, Curtis Hamilton, Kabanov & Kitsyn
2011: Wanted McNeill, Biggs, Miller, Rackell, Scott Harrington, St. Croix & Brent Benson

Can't believe how wrong I was about Godfrey, I was sure he was gonna be something special...

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

2005: Pouliot
2006: Giroux
2007: Mcdonaugh and Perron
2008: Carlson/Deschamps and Kristo as our 2nd rounder.
2009: Leblanc or Kreider, Rajala
2010: Bjugstad or Coyle, Bournival with the 2nd rounder
2011: I wanted either Scheifele/Phillips (trade down) or Morrow. Never thought Beaulieu would have been avaiable.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:21 PM
prevail

2003 - Andrei Kostitsyn - WANTED: Dustin Brown (remember him being profiled on canadiens.com on draft day and them saying he was really high for Montreal)

2004 - Kyle Chipchura - WANTED: Kyle Chipchura (I was sure he was going to be a great defensive forward and leader)

2005 - Carey Price - WANTED: Anze Kopitar (Big center we needed but I'll take an All Star goalie)

2006 - David Fischer - WANTED: Chris Summers/Ty Wishart (Summers was a bust, and Wishart was taken with our pick but we traded down)

2007 - Ryan McDonagh/Max Pacioretty - WANTED: Colton Gilles/David Perron (Gilles was another bad pick by me, and Perron was a tag along with everyone else)

2008 - NO PICK - WANTED: Tyler Ennis (I'm a little disappointed we traded that pick for Tanguay)

2009 - Louis Leblanc - WANTED: Chris Kreider (There was so much hype around him I knew there was something there, jury is still out though)

2010 - Jarred Tinordi - WANTED: Charlie Coyle (Speed, size, offense, *drools*)

2011 - Nathan Beaulieu - WANTED: Nathan Beaulieu/Oscar Klefbom/Mark McNeil (Let's see how Beaulieu does)

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:30 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Only going to do first round picks because there are too many late round guys to count.

2005: This is the first year I started getting serious about the draft, but did not have a guy that I wanted specifically.
2006: Patrik Berglund.
2007: Ryan McDonagh and Max Pacioretty
2008: Jordan Eberle (closer to the draft he appeared to not be available when we would've picked, so I was boarding the Nicolas Deschamps bandwagon)
2009: Jacob Josefson
2010: Evgeni Kuznetsov
2011: Mark Scheifele (picked way before us..). Wanted Beaulieu but didn't think he'd fall to us.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:59 PM
WestIslander

I look at all of these posts and in my opinion most of you are full of it and are going with the play of these players up to now and not with the player you wanted all along, it's easy to say you wanted this player or that player but when the draft comes most of you don't know anything about any player besides McKenzie's top 10 from TSN.

- Wanted Mikko Koivu, but he got taken right before us and we took Mike Komisarek

- Wanted Cam Ward, but Montreal took Chris Higgins

- Wanted Dion Phaneuf and if not then Zach Paris, but Montreal drafted Andrei Kostitsyn and when they did they made him sound like the next Kovalchuck

- Wanted Travis Zajac, but Montreal drafted Kyle Chipchura

- Wanted Sidney Crosby but when the top five balls were chosen and Montreal got the fifth pick overall I wanted Marc Staal

- Wanted Claude Giroux, but we drafted David Fischer

- Wanted Angelo Esposito and David Perron, but was happy with Pacioretty but not McDonagh, I still think Perron would of thrived in Montreal for years to come and wish he drafted him and Pacioretty

- Wanted Joe Colborne, but Montreal traded the 1st round draft pick for Alex Tanguay

- Wanted Simon Despres, but we drafted Louis Leblanc

- Wanted Riley Sheahan or Nick Bjugstad, but they were already chosen so we moved up and took Jarred Tinordi who I am still not sold on

- Wanted Tyler Biggs, Montreal took Nathan Beaulieu and I still cannot believe that he fell to 17th overall, I love this pick

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I look at all of these posts and in my opinion most of you are full of it and are going with the play of these players up to now and not with the player you wanted all along, it's easy to say you wanted this player or that player but when the draft comes most of you don't know anything about any player besides McKenzie's top 10 from TSN.
So what ?

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Hank Scorpio

The only one I remember are this years draft where I wanted a hard-hitting forward with some hands (but am far from disappointed), the only ones I got right (as in we drafted them) have been Price and Chipchura.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:52 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
So what ?
Well, any one can search my posts if they want in draft threads. It's well documented that Berglund was Whitesnake's and I's boy going into the Fischer draft.

Old
10-12-2011, 07:03 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
2001 : Wanted Ruutu and Spiller, was happy with Komisarek though, and didn't know Perezhogin.
2002 : Wanted Babchuk, but was happy with Higgins...
2003 : Brown or Getzlaf would of been nice, wanted power up front, but from what I heard on Kostitsyn, I was still happy with the pick.
2004 : Wanted Korpikosi or Meszaros, was happy with Chipchura.
2005 : Well, I wanted Brule too, and was angry when I heard who we picked'my'... (not a friggin goalie !) Real glad it didn't work like I wanted...
2006 : Stewart was my pick, was damn angry when we traded our initial 1st and Stewart got drafted before our own great pick...
2007 : Wanted Gillies and Pacioretty, at least got one of the 2
2008 : Wanted Beach badly, but was picked pretty early, so I thought that Nemisz or Carlson would of been nice (before we traded our pick for a creampuff, whom I was initially happy with )
2009 : I was sure we'd end up with Leblanc, but well, if by any chance Kassian or Holland would have dropped to us, they were 'my' picks.
2010 : Wanted Bjugstad or Brad Ross, but was happy with Tinordi, still am.
2011 : Too many interesting players in that draft, am greatly happy with Beaulieu, but Miller, Bartschi, Puempel, Jensen, McNeil would have been nice too (well, aside from Miller and Bartschi who were already picked...)

You guessed it, I like big aggressive players...

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:59 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Ironic because I felt that way after reading your post and I hadn't even read that first line I skipped to each year. Then I see somebody commenting on it. Couldn't help but think "self projection".

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:15 PM
feds91

2003 Andrei Kostitsyn
2004 Rob Schremp
2005 Gilbert Brule or Anze Kopitar
2006 Was hoping we'd draft Chris Stewart but Habs traded pick to SJ
2007 Alexei Cherepanov or Angelo Esposito
2008 no 1st round pick
2009 Jordan Schroeder
2010 Emerson Etem or Evgeny Kuznetsov
2011 Nathan Beaulieu or Brandon Saad

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:38 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Couple of my ND's looking good.. namely Angelo Esposito.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:53 PM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
2011 - I was high on Scheifele and Jenner. Expected Scheifele might be gone....was he ever.... same thing with Beaulieu, who I also liked but expected would be gone in the top 14... Was also surprised that Jenner didn't go in the first round - i think Columbus got a steal.

2010 - I wanted Tinordi, Toffoli, Sheahan, Kuznetsov or Merrill. I was at Trevor's place a few days before the draft and he asked me who we should take - I told him Tinordi or Sheahan but I still had a soft spot for Toffoli having seen him about a dozen times and noticing his goal scoring talents. Trevor liked Toffoli too, but more than the rest of the staff except me. Funny thing is..we saw him more than anyone else on the staff given that we live close to Ottawa. Kuznetsov was my first choice actually, but I knew Trevor wouldn't consider him. He just figures there's too much risk with Russian prospects in the first round (unless you're a Yakupov), especially if they're still playing in Russia.

2009 - Leblanc or Despres - figured at least one would be at 18, and was really hoping it was Leblanc. In the third round I was hoping for Cody Eakin and Bennett.

2008 - Carlson was the guy..never expected him to be there at 26...was really disappointed when we traded our first for Tanguay. I also liked Deschamps with that pick if Carlson was gone. Trevor really liked Carlson - I have no doubt that he would have picked him had Bob kept the pick.

2007 - McDonagh, Eller or Shattenkirk - I would have been happy with any of the three. For the other first I liked Patch, MacLean and Billy Sweatt. For the second rounder I liked Tyrell and Subban. Overall I was very happy with this draft.

2006 - I wanted Giroux all the way - live 45 minutes from Hull..saw lots of Giroux and loved him.

2005 - Marc Staal was my guy - loved him, wanted him. Didn't mind the Price pick though.

2004 - Wasn't crazy about many of the players in this draft - I was fine with the Chipchura pick..also would have been okay with Bolland.

2003 - Getzlaf was the guy...really wanted him..thought he was exactly what the team needed...big, tough top-line center..haven't had one since Jean Beliveau. Also liked Parise, Brown and Richards. Thought it was risky taking a Euro with so many quality NA's available.

2002 - Another blah draft for me. Didn't mind Grebeshkov and Paille..hadn't seen Higgins.

2001 - I wanted Komo all the way..thought we need a big tough, shutdown defenceman. didn't quite pan out that way, although there were glimpses of it before Lucic. Really liked Derek Roy as our second first rounder over Peerzhogin.

2000 - We got Hainsey and Hossa...wanted Orpik and Volchenkov/Frolik.
Just for fun:

Pacioretty-Getzlaf-Giroux
Eakin-Roy-Leblanc
Paille-Bolland-White

Staal-Subban
Orpik-Carlson
McDonagh-Volchenkov
Komisarek

Halak

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Le depisteur

2002 - Martin Wagner (Chris Higgins)
2003 - Zach Parise (Andrei Kostitsyn)
2004 - Wojtek Wolski (Kyle Chipchura)
2005 - Gilbert Brulé (Carey Price)
2006 - Bob Sanguinetti (David Fisher)
2007 - Alexei Cherepanov (Ryan McDonagh)
2007 - Billy Sweatt (Max Pacioretty)
2008 - Nicolas Deschamps (Alex Tanguay)
2009 - Jordan Schroeder (Louis Leblanc)
2010 - Evgeny Kuznetsov (Jarred Tinordi)
2011 - Rocco Grimaldi (Nathan Beaulieu)

Last edited by Le depisteur: 10-12-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Phozzwald

2003 Wanted: Ryan Getzlaf Drafted: Andrei Kostitsyn
2004 Wanted: Alexander Radulov Drafted:Kyle Chipchura
2005 Wanted: Gilbert Brule Drafted: Carey Price (Thank God)
2006 Wanted: Claude Giroux Drafted: David Fischer
2007 Wanted: Thomas Hickey Drafted: Ryan McDonagh
Wanted: Angelo Esposito Drafted: Max Pacioretty
2008 Wanted: Tyler Ennis Traded the pick to Calgary
2009 Wanted: Ryan Ellis Drafted: Louis Leblanc
2010 Wanted: Beau Bennett Drafted: Jared Tinordi
2011 Wanted: Mark McNeil Drafted: Nathan Beaulieu

Phozzwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:55 PM
JAVO16

2008) Carlson or Deschamps: I had heard that Carlson could've been part of the big 3 of that year had he been playing in the CHL instead of the USHL and I loved his size and stats(lol). Deschamps had a good U18 that year and was boosted as a potential 1st round pick and I figured the Habs might draft him. Both players I thought the Habs might draft actually (american D and Q Player)

2009) Leblanc or Josefson: I was sold on Leblanc by all the boosters. Still think it was a good pick. Also, I loved the way Josefson played the game and I think he can develop into a good top6 defensively responsable center.

2010) Bjugstad or Merrill: Didn't think Bjugstad would fall to us and he didn't. I was hoping for Merrill, but in the light of this new suspension and the possible character problems I'm happy we didn't pick him. Still not thrilled about Tinordi, but I'm waiting to pass judgement.

2011) McNeill, Oleksiak or Armia: Would've taken Armia anytime if he fell to us(almost) and McNeill was my top choice otherwise. I also liked Oleksiak(funny since I'm not in love with Tinordi) because I think he might have offensive potential. Like the Beaulieu pick.

JAVO16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
2011 - I was high on Scheifele and Jenner. Expected Scheifele might be gone....was he ever.... same thing with Beaulieu, who I also liked but expected would be gone in the top 14... Was also surprised that Jenner didn't go in the first round - i think Columbus got a steal.

2010 - I wanted Tinordi, Toffoli, Sheahan, Kuznetsov or Merrill. I was at Trevor's place a few days before the draft and he asked me who we should take - I told him Tinordi or Sheahan but I still had a soft spot for Toffoli having seen him about a dozen times and noticing his goal scoring talents. Trevor liked Toffoli too, but more than the rest of the staff except me. Funny thing is..we saw him more than anyone else on the staff given that we live close to Ottawa. Kuznetsov was my first choice actually, but I knew Trevor wouldn't consider him. He just figures there's too much risk with Russian prospects in the first round (unless you're a Yakupov), especially if they're still playing in Russia.

2009 - Leblanc or Despres - figured at least one would be at 18, and was really hoping it was Leblanc. In the third round I was hoping for Cody Eakin and Bennett.

2008 - Carlson was the guy..never expected him to be there at 26...was really disappointed when we traded our first for Tanguay. I also liked Deschamps with that pick if Carlson was gone. Trevor really liked Carlson - I have no doubt that he would have picked him had Bob kept the pick.

2007 - McDonagh, Eller or Shattenkirk - I would have been happy with any of the three. For the other first I liked Patch, MacLean and Billy Sweatt. For the second rounder I liked Tyrell and Subban. Overall I was very happy with this draft.

2006 - I wanted Giroux all the way - live 45 minutes from Hull..saw lots of Giroux and loved him.

2005 - Marc Staal was my guy - loved him, wanted him. Didn't mind the Price pick though.

2004 - Wasn't crazy about many of the players in this draft - I was fine with the Chipchura pick..also would have been okay with Bolland.

2003 - Getzlaf was the guy...really wanted him..thought he was exactly what the team needed...big, tough top-line center..haven't had one since Jean Beliveau. Also liked Parise, Brown and Richards. Thought it was risky taking a Euro with so many quality NA's available.

2002 - Another blah draft for me. Didn't mind Grebeshkov and Paille..hadn't seen Higgins.

2001 - I wanted Komo all the way..thought we need a big tough, shutdown defenceman. didn't quite pan out that way, although there were glimpses of it before Lucic. Really liked Derek Roy as our second first rounder over Peerzhogin.

2000 - We got Hainsey and Hossa...wanted Orpik and Volchenkov/Frolik.
If we don't trade for Gomez or Tanguay how would things look now?

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:37 PM
habitue*

2003: Getzlaf or Carter, a big offensive center. Something we don't have since ages.

2006: Giroux over Fischer any day of the week

2010: Emerson Etem. Do we need offense ?

year ??? : Dan Brière instead of MATT Higgins, anytime.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:45 PM
DJyellow
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
wanted: M. Straka or V. Bure
drafted: David Wilkie (although was very happy we got Bure in the second round)

wanted: wished we traded up for J. Thibault
drafted: S. Koivu

wanted: Brett Lindros
drafted: Brad Brown

- 1995:
wanted: Shane Doan (I remember being really pissed that he got drafted 1 pick before us)
drafted: Terry Ryan

- 1996:
wanted: Daniel Briere
drafted: Matt Higgins

- 1997:
wanted: no clue, but Samsonov was dropping and was hopping we'd get him
drafted: Jason Ward

- 1998:
wanted: Simon Gagne, Ramzi Abid
drafted: E. Chouinard

- 1999: no pick

- 2000:
wanted: Marcel Hossa
drafted: Ron Hainsey, Marcel Hossa

- 2001:
wanted: S. Chistov, T. Ruttuu (i did not want Mikko Koivu)
drafted: M. Komisarek

- 2002:
wanted: Kovalchuk (there were rumors we made the best offer for the 1st overall pick), Steve Eminger
drafted: C. Higgins

- 2003:
wanted: Z. Parise (wished we had an extra 1st round pick as i was really high on C. Perry, M. Richards who were safe picks to me, so a bit early with the 10th pick)
drafted: AK46 (was actually happy with the pick). The board was really high on Getzlaf at the time, but not me.

- 2004:
wanted: Ovechkin, Wolski
drafted: Chipchura

- 2005:
wanted: Crosby, G. Brule
drafted: C. Price (like most people at the time, thought we wasted a pick)

- 2006:
wanted: Frolik, Sheppard, Joenssu
drafted: D. Fischer

- 2007:
wanted: A. Cherapanov, A. Esposito
drafted: McDonagh, Pacioretty

- 2008: no pick

- 2009:
wanted: L. Leblanc
drafted: L. Leblanc

2010:
wanted: was hoping that Tarasenko or Cam Fowler would fall
drafted: J. Tinordi

2011:
wanted: Mark MacNeil
drafted: N. Beaulieu (was happy)

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:46 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

I wanted Tvrdon in the latter round.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:42 PM
PK76

I started watching the drafts in '04 and here are the guys I wanted when it was the Habs' turn to pick.

2004: Wojtek Wolski
2005: Anze Kopitar
2006: Patrik Berglund
2007: Alexei Cherepanov, David Perron
2008: No first round pick
2009: Louis Leblanc
2010: No preference, was happy with the Tinordi pick.
2011: Nathan Beaulieu

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I really wanted McNeil this year, but I've started to warm up to Beaulieu.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
MXD

Expected McNeil but was sure Beaulieu would have been picked 4 or 5 ranks before.

But still... Damn, every game I saw of Beaulieu (5 or 6 in the Q, plus the WJC) got me thinking : « This player is stupid ».

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:03 PM
tinyzombies

- 1998:
wanted: Simon Gagne
drafted: E. Chouinard

- 1999: no pick

- 2000:
wanted: Marcel Hossa
drafted: Ron Hainsey, Marcel Hossa

- 2001:
wanted: M. Komisarek
drafted: M. Komisarek

- 2002:
wanted: nobody really
drafted: C. Higgins

- 2003:
wanted: Getzlaf and Parise (trade w/Edm for pick)
got: another Euro stiff (was happy at the time tho)

- 2004:
wanted: nobody

- 2005:
wanted: Kopitar
drafted: C. Price (Gainey said he wanted a big righthanded centerman. wasn't happy)

- 2006:

- 2007:
drafted: Patches (he looked like a stupid player from the video I had seen)

- 2008: no pick

- 2009:
drafted: L. Leblanc (was happy about it)

2010:
wanted: J. Tinordi (was at this draft in LA and was very happy)
drafted: J. Tinordi

2011:
wanted: Mark MacNeil
drafted: N. Beaulieu (was happy)

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:55 AM
Naoned

2011: I wanted us to trade up to pick Couturier. If not, I wanted Armia, McNeill or Jensen. But I was really happy with Beaulieu, I did not think he would be available.
2010: I wanted Bjugstad or Kuznetsov. Not really happy with the Tinordi pick, especially trading up to get him. Still not a fan.
2009: I wanted Holland, Leblanc or Kreider. Was really happy when we selected Louis, even from behind my screen, the emotion in the Bell Center was something to watch.
2008: No real preference there, I didn't have much time for the draft that year
2007: I wanted Shattenkirk and Espo. I was intrigued by Jon Blum. And of course, when Cherepanov started dropping, I hoped we could draft him. Not that thrilled at Timmins' picks at the time. Boy was I wrong.
2006: No real preference there, I didn't have much time for the draft that year.
2005: First draft I really followed closely. I wanted Pouliot, Kopitar or Brule, in that order. Was really pissed about the Price pick.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote