HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price About To Join The Record Books

Old
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
Carey Price About To Join The Record Books

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|MTL|home

Quote:
Carey Price will have the chance to enter the record books during the Habs home-opener. With a victory, the young netminder would join the likes of Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur and Terry Sawchuk among the ranks of goaltenders to have won 100 games by the age of 24.
Quote:
Carey said "Things have been going great for me so far. This would be a great milestone to reach, but at the same time, I hope I can add another hundred wins on top of it”
Congratz Price!

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Bill McNeal

Wow. I usually don't attach too much importance to goalie wins, but that's some pretty nice company.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:20 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Only another hundred, Carey? How about another 300-400?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
WestIslander

Carey Price will win over 400 games in his career if you ask me! Hopefully all of them are here in La Belle Province.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
haayward

Very impressive company. Kudos to Price.

haayward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Leo Getz

Osgood was counted on one list but not another at Hockey Reference.. Here is a more clear list of 100 win goalies 24 years and younger. Ward, Fleury and Brodeur are the other active goalies to do it.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...y=games_goalie

Price is going to do it in the second fewest amount of games.

Last edited by Leo Getz: 10-12-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Leo Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

It's worth considering that Price doesn't play for an elite hockey team with a roster full of superstars.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Getz View Post
Hockey Reference only has data going back to 87-88, since then 7 goalies have hit 100 at age 24 or less. Fleury and Ward being the other actives.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...r_by=date_game

And because I'm bored, since the article says Price would be the 13th, the other 3 that aren't on that list and aren't Roy and Sawchuk, are Barrasso, Fuhr and Lumley.
You have to figure Price will be at the top of that list by the end of the season.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Bullsmith

Wish they'd wait to start talking it up till he'd actually won the 100th game.

Bullsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

Called it about a year ago:
http://www.lecollectif.ca/2010/11/ca...x-a-sa-portee/
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=841562

Congrats Carey

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Riddum

Thank God we kept him instead of Halak.

Riddum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
Dont thank God, thank Gainey and Gauthier.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Belso

I just hope he wins the first game at home. The better the start, the easier it is to keep the confidence up..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:11 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Getz View Post
Osgood was counted on one list but not another at Hockey Reference.. Here is a more clear list of 100 win goalies 24 years and younger. Ward, Fleury and Brodeur are the other active goalies to do it.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...y=games_goalie

Price is going to do it in the second fewest amount of games.
Wouldn't that be Don Edwards?

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
Price 99 wins in 209 games played.

Halak 84 wins in 160 games played.

Had Halak been treated like a number 1 goalie in Montreal he would have had a lot more games played. This thread isn't about who is going to be a better goalie. This thread is about Price having had a good start to his career like a few other all stars.

Good for Price. I'm happy for him. But it doesn't take away what Halak has done for Montreal or that he's also having a pretty good career despite the way he was used and treated by management..

Old
10-12-2011, 06:09 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post

Had Halak been treated like a number 1 goalie in Montreal he would have had a lot more games played. This thread isn't about who is going to be a better goalie. This thread is about Price having had a good start to his career like a few other all stars.

Good for Price. I'm happy for him. But it doesn't take away what Halak has done for Montreal or that he's also having a pretty good career despite the way he was used and treated by management..
Halak 2 years older. Wait till Price is 25 then compare.

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:31 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:

Are you referring to the resources they surrounded him with and opportunity provided to him so that if he worked hard enough he'd get the starting spot (which he did in his last season here). Or was it how they traded him so he could be a #1 goalie instead of a perennially backup?

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Are you referring to the resources they surrounded him with and opportunity provided to him so that if he worked hard enough he'd get the starting spot (which he did in his last season here). Or was it how they traded him so he could be a #1 goalie instead of a perennially backup?
Good points. The org did pretty well by Halak in retrospect.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Halak 2 years older. Wait till Price is 25 then compare.
You can never comapare this type of state with players who start playing at a younger age. If a team decides to play a player when he's younger, he get's an advantage over other player who the team decdides to play them at an older age.

Price was given the opportunity to play many games as soon as he could. The Habs chose to play Halak in Hamilton longer.

Halak was Drafted in 2003, played one season in the Q to have a chance to learn to play in North America, Started in the ECHL and played the reminder of 3 seasons in Hamilton because he had to compete against Huet, Danis and then Price. Despite appearing in the All-star game 2 season in a row in Hamilton, he was always considered a 9th round "small" goalie by the Habs.

Carey Price was then drafted in 2005. He played one season in the WHL, already knew the NA style of play, only appeared in the AHL play-offs to go on to win the Calder cup and was then considered a number one goalie never to play another game in the minors with Halak looking from the pine until Price stuggled endlessly in 2009.

Now again, I'm not knocking Price. I really think he will have an amazing career and I hope he signs long term in Montreal. I just don't think it's fair to compare the two as what they have achieved at a young age. Halak had it harder and had more adjustments to make than Price. If Halak would have played Hockey in Canada as opposed to Slovakia and had been a few inches taller, who knows where he would have been drafted and how sooner he would have played in the NHL given the opportunity.

Will Price be a better goalie at the end of his career statswise over Halak? Maybe, but we will only see when their careers are over. Is it fair to say that Price is way better than Halak and "Thank god they kept Price"? I don't believe it fair to say it now based on who had more wins at the age of 24.

I don't even see how this can be hard to understand.

Old
10-12-2011, 07:05 PM
SonOfGom

Please, no more Halak vs. Price threads, please no more, please

SonOfGom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Great reflection on Carey's abilities but it's easier these days to get wins as a goalie. The league leader usually has 37-47 wins these days but no goalies won 40 games between 1978 and 1990- partly due to the platoon system becoming popular and hardly any goalie starting over 60 games. To compare him with goalies of old, you have to take away his shootout wins If we do this, Price has probably got about 85-90 wins right about now. One of Luongo, Ward or Price will beat Brodeur's record one day thanks to the shootout function that was unavailable to Marty through his first 11 seasons in the league.

It was also never available to Terry Sawchuk (same goes for OT when it comes to him as he never had that option to turn a tie into a win and while these guys were usually made to start all the games in the 50s, they only had 70 max and injury was a much realer part of their hockey lives). The stat I take a lot of stock in is winning percentage and I believe the #1 guy there is Ken Dryden (258-57-74 all-time record!). I guarantee that in 20 years from now, the entirety of the top 10 in goalie wins are going to be guys who played in the last 5 years and in the future. Price will hopefully be among them

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Are you refering to when Halak had stellar seasons back to back in Hailton being invited to 2 All-star games or when he was thrown into the fire and held the fort with 10 wins in 16 games from Feburary through April when Huet was injured with a ripped muscle in his leg only to have Huet play the last game of the season and get shelled? they miss the play-off by one point.

Am I the only one with a memory or what? We aren't talking about 20 years ago.. We are talking about 4.

Old
10-12-2011, 07:26 PM
S Bah

Nice to see Carey get there the one I'm sure he wants is in the Stanley Cup column. #25 perhaps?

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:32 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Are you refering to when Halak had stellar seasons back to back in Hailton being invited to 2 All-star games or when he was thrown into the fire and held the fort with 10 wins in 16 games from Feburary through April when Huet was injured with a ripped muscle in his leg only to have Huet play the last game of the season and get shelled? they miss the play-off by one point.

Am I the only one with a memory or what? We aren't talking about 20 years ago.. We are talking about 4.
No need for a debate here.

Congratulations to the Habs for drafting and developing two good goaltenders in the last few years. This has enabled them to still have one and to have traded the other one for a promising first-round pick.

Meanwhile both goaltenders are now #1s on their teams and both have the Habs, and their own hard work, to thank for it.

Oh, and yeah, as for the thread, GO Carey!!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Nice to see Carey get there the one I'm sure he wants is in the Stanley Cup column. #25 perhaps?
I hope he has cup #25, #26, #27, and so on...

Edit: Did I forget to mention as a HAB!!??