HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We MUST sign Price ASAP

Old
10-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Max et Guillaume

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Give him Gomez's PIN
hahahahaha classic!

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
I'm glad this thread was created, else the issue would have just slipped PG's mind...
We still sign contracts like we're in the 80's. Wait after the season, short-term, no frontload money. This is not the way the NHL works today.

Thinking about this gives me a sick feeling tbh, I'm very worried the management will treat the Price negotiations like dog ****, short-term deal with a flat salary that doesn't give any flexibility w/ the cap. Apparently some people here won't bother when he can walk away UFA in 4 years, I mean look what happend with DiPietro.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
Lets just tank for 10 years straight..will save much of the trouble
What about a tank that would continually trade its top prospects for even greater picks ? Eventually they could have an entire team of 1st rounders on ELCs that would kick ass every season and regenerate itself through more trades.

Old
10-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Gary320

I dont see Price being signed until June. For both games.

His agent will hold out talking contracts because if Price has a great season (Vezina worthy).. he will be making even more $$$. If they win the cup... even more $$$

Gauthier will hold out talking contract because what if Price doesnt end up doing well all season. Less money to pay.

Price's new contract can be a difference between two million dollars and alot of years.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:27 AM
HabsDood

5/35

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:34 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post

His agent will hold out talking contracts because if Price has a great season (Vezina worthy).. he will be making even more $$$. If they win the cup... even more $$$

Gauthier will hold out talking contract because what if Price doesnt end up doing well all season. Less money to pay.

Price's new contract can be a difference between two million dollars and alot of years.
I kinda disagree here. Waiting only really benefits Carey Price. I don't see how PG can win here, although I'm not gonna panic like others, but the likelihood of Carey Price completely self destructing is very small. The likelihood of him improving or at least matching last year are significantly higher. Carey will get paid either way, but waiting only gives him a stronger opportunity to pad his case. That being said, maybe Price doesn't want to sign right now and wants the chance to increase his worth, thus leaving PG no choice, I would be confident if PG could get a deal done now that it would work in the clubs favor, but doubt it gets done, not because of lack of effort or disinterest from Price, but because Price is confident in his ability to improve and improvement only makes him worth more.

I use to think Carey would want to dash at first chance, because of the grief the media and certain fans gave him, but now I'm confident he wants to be the goaltender in the toughest best hockey city in the world. Playing net for the habs will only add to his legacy. I'm not at all concerned.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:45 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I'm not worried, still early in the seasons and I have got to the think that the Habs brain trust, including the ownership, know how important Carey is to the future of the franchise. He will be signed along Subban another important cog in the Montreal Canadiens machine.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:46 AM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I'm not worried, still early in the seasons and I have got to the think that the Habs brain trust, including the ownership, know how important Carey is to the future of the franchise. He will be signed along Subban another important cog in the Montreal Canadiens machine.
There's no doubt in my mind that the Habs and Price will get a deal done. I don't even care what Price asks for, give him everything.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I kinda disagree here. Waiting only really benefits Carey Price. I don't see how PG can win here, although I'm not gonna panic like others, but the likelihood of Carey Price completely self destructing is very small. The likelihood of him improving or at least matching last year are significantly higher. Carey will get paid either way, but waiting only gives him a stronger opportunity to pad his case. That being said, maybe Price doesn't want to sign right now and wants the chance to increase his worth, thus leaving PG no choice, I would be confident if PG could get a deal done now that it would work in the clubs favor, but doubt it gets done, not because of lack of effort or disinterest from Price, but because Price is confident in his ability to improve and improvement only makes him worth more.

I use to think Carey would want to dash at first chance, because of the grief the media and certain fans gave him, but now I'm confident he wants to be the goaltender in the toughest best hockey city in the world. Playing net for the habs will only add to his legacy. I'm not at all concerned.
Oh I agree, I don't think PG really has anything to gain from waiting, I'm just throwing the idea out there. I think Price's agent and Price are going to be the bigger factor in determining when his contract gets signed. Like you mentioned, I think if it were up to PG.. he'd be signed already. At this point, 4 million? But I still think, the possibility of PG waiting to see what happens with Price is also a factor, none the less not that big..

As for Carey, like you and I mentioned. This guy can be between 2-3 million dollars richer if he signs now or has a career year.. Vezina (dare I say even Hart + Conn Smyth =-o) trophy winner. See no reason for him and his agent to want to sign right away. As for staying in Montreal, you can clearly see this guy likes it, he had so many opportunties to say "F-U Montreal, trade me" and didn't. He feeds off the stardom and the passion of the city, I dont see why he'd want to leave.. unless PG was stupid enough not to give him what he wants.

In my opinion, he will be the second highest paid player in our team next year. This is if Gomez is still here.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:42 AM
NHLcrazy

Knowing how the Canadiens management works he will sign after the season is over of course and it will a short contract...2 years 11M$, maybe 3 years 18M$.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Knowing how the Canadiens management works he will sign after the season is over of course and it will a short contract...2 years 11M$, maybe 3 years 18M$.

I really, really doubt it. MINIMUM 6 years. I don't want a 15 year contract. But I do want more than 5. If Pleks signed for 6 years, you know that Mr. Franchise will sign for 5+ years.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think some of you are on drugs if you think the Habs could sign Price for 5-6 years at 6 mil or less they would have already done it. I'm sure his agent wants him to play this year and if he has a monster year he can ask for Lundquist/Luongo type money.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:32 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post

If they won the cup cause of him may as well just give him 7 mil a season...

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Marchy79

I think the perceptions of the Canadiens signing strategy, IMO I dont hear too many complaints over their strategy. Yes, there are some that want big contracts, signed up over long terms... Price is IMO in no rush to sign up long term, and for big money RIGHT this second.

There are different likes and dislikes from every type of player out there. Some guys PREFER not to talk contract mid-season, others feel it's a do or die situation.

Have we been burned by this? yeah, I guess so. (Thinking primarily of Komisarek, and Souray as 2 examples of guys whose startegy midseason signings would have been effective.

However, with Montreal, it's a premium destination, and once a player has won over the city, arguably it is the greatest city to play in when you have it like that. Furthermore, it's Carey's team, and he's got a great base of characters, and winners in the room. IMO he's not going anywhere else anytime soon.

IMHO I think the Habs have a great reputation by way of their contracts and what not... Think about this... Pleks was given another chance, and performed very well, before getting a very fair and valid contract offer that was suitable for both teams.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Protest the Hero

It's just like trying to pick up a pretty woman.

We feign interest, don't return his calls, tell him if he wants to sign somewhere else he can. After receiving a ton of calls from every other GM in the league on July 1st, he'll realise how important we are to him. He'll come crawling back and sign for below market value.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
It's just like trying to pick up a pretty woman.

We feign interest, don't return his calls, tell him if he wants to sign somewhere else he can. After receiving a ton of calls from every other GM in the league on July 1st, he'll realise how important we are to him. He'll come crawling back and sign for below market value.
Well, we still own his rights via rfa this year, and signing a contract, his first year under that one as well... Its not so much that scenario, at it is that both sides can attain a full market value on the contract. We may have high taxes, however we have been fair in our negotiations imo.

Carey will get his contract, but it will be based on a summary, not a work in progress midseason. Having his rfa rights affords us the luxury of that.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:26 PM
guest1467

Tell me why Price would sign a contract right now.

It will get signed in the offseason, just like everyone else.

Price knows damn well that the organization is behind him, haven't they proven that enough times already?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Tell me why Price would sign a contract right now.

It will get signed in the offseason, just like everyone else.

Price knows damn well that the organization is behind him, haven't they proven that enough times already?
It adds security for himself, doesn't have to worry about getting injured for a long time, doesn't have to think about contract negotiations during short stints of bad peformances, basically his financial future is set the day he signs his next contract (that's very valuable).

If he has made a decision that he wants to settle here, no reason he couldn't sign right now. Like some guy said, you hand him the contract and he fills the lines himself already. Sure if he won the Hart/Cup his theorical value would be even higher, but do you think there's a team who would handle an 8m+ offer sheet for a goalie ?

IF he doesn't want to sign long term, then play it hardball like Lombardi with Doughty. If he only wants 5 years or less at least get a great cap hit so we can sign as many guys to surround him as we can for the years that remain. But that would be disastrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
That would be boldly ridiculous. I think a 2 years contract puts him UFA. If they sign something this stupidly short like 3-4 or even 5 years they better sign him for ****IN cheap because once that contract over, the rebuild is starting. And we all know that the word "rebuild" has never been used in any habs management meeting ever.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-13-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: merged
Old
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Adam91

I'd like to throw Gorges into this category

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

TB only re-signed Stamkos 1 month after he became a RFA last summer, yet some on here that say Gauthier is "asleep at the switch" think Yzerman is a genius...go figure!

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Bullsmith

Price is RFA. Why not wait till the season's over? Then lock him up long term, absolutely, but there's really no rush at this moment.

Edit- To echo Adam 91, put Gorges on the list. He's not as important to the team, but IMO it's more important to sign him during the season. The sooner the better, frankly.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote