HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

You're Howson....

View Poll Results: You're Howson. What do you do at 0-3-1?
Stand Pat. The answer is in the room. Do nothing. Hope for best. The team will come around! 24 34.78%
Freshen up my resume, and put my house up for sale. 11 15.94%
Get rid of Mason. Enough is enough. Find another G through trade or FA 15 21.74%
Make a big move to resuscitate the D (i.e. trade RyJo for #1D) 13 18.84%
Invite Hitch out to Tim's for coffee and some bits, get ready to beg for help 6 8.70%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-12-2011, 09:10 PM
St1ngr

vCash: 500
You're Howson....

What do you do?

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:16 PM
CapnCornelius

The only moves Howson needs to consider at this point involve call-ups from
Springy an sending Johansen to Portland before the stench of this season taints him.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:18 PM
MFRONE

Can't really do anything at this point. A shake up is an admission of failure and should get him fired on the spot.

He can try and find a goalie, but it's something that he should have done last year and he didn't feel the need to address it.

As said every year, you can't trade crap for a diamond. He's stuck, especially with all the contracts that he gave out.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Start talking to all of those scouts at the game and see if there is anything on this team that they want.

Iron Balls McGinty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:23 PM
St1ngr

IMO The only significant change we can make right now to affect the outcome of the season is at G.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quit...lol

To be honest there isn't much he can do other than make a trade. I know Mason is not the only one at fault but if the Jackets can't score or defend they better have a veteran goalie the team trusts. I don't think there's one CBJ player that would say Mason builds confidence in the room or on the ice (in private or after a few beers that is).

Howson blew it not signing a veteran GT with a higher profile than Sanford.. the other guy (Duc or whatever) is a freaking non NHL player, what good is that when we need stability in the net.

Howson could make a trade for a goaltender within a week, Iím thinking the Flyers would take Mason, but, Howson wonít do that out of fear that Mason might someday become a superstar.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:26 PM
St1ngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Quit...lol

To be honest there isn't much he can do other than make a trade. I know Mason is not the only one at fault but if the Jackets can't score or defend they better have a veteran goalie the team trusts. I don't think there's one CBJ player that would say Mason builds confidence in the room or on the ice (in private or after a few beers that is).

Howson blew it not signing a veteran GT with a higher profile than Sanford.. the other guy (Duc or whatever) is a freaking non NHL player, what good is that when we need stability in the net.

Howson could make a trade for a goaltender within a week, Iím thinking the Flyers would take Mason, but, Howson wonít do that out of fear that Mason might someday become a superstar.
Howson had better be fearing for his job right now more than worrying about Mason making him look bad years down the road

Old
10-12-2011, 09:27 PM
MapleJ

Mason Has Not Been The Problem This Season, Watch The Games

MapleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:29 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Quit...lol

Howson made a gamble, saved the money for the roster. I supported his decision then and I support it game 4. I don't want some over the hill average goalie. I also like most of the rest of the moves. Give Sanford and Dek a shot before you go all angsty. From what I've seen in the past, I don't think Garon is much, if any better than Sanford honestly.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:30 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleJ View Post
This ^

The defense has been sub-par and the offense other than line 1 has been invisible.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by St1ngr View Post
Howson had better be fearing for his job right now more than worrying about Mason making him look bad years down the road
Point taken.... The Jackets are in serious trouble sport fans, I'm being very timid in my posts but MF is right... teams that can't win a game in the first four games of a season simply don't have the roster to make the playoffs. Or, they are not happy being in Columbus or confident in management as a whole.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Pigs On The Wing

Try to make a big trade for a top pairing defenseman. Our defense can't play D for crap and neither can Wizniewski.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I'd try and get Bobrovsky. Something about Russian goaltenders....they are all so good. Look at what freaking Varlamov did to us tonight. Mason for Bob and a pick/player.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:35 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
I'd try and get Bobrovsky. Something about Russian goaltenders....they are all so good. Look at what freaking Varlamov did to us tonight. Mason for Bob and a pick/player.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:36 PM
MapleJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
This ^

The defense has been sub-par and the offense other than line 1 has been invisible.
Calvert And Atkinson have been getting some quality chances

MapleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Howson made a gamble, saved the money for the roster. I supported his decision then and I support it game 4. I don't want some over the hill average goalie. I also like most of the rest of the moves. Give Sanford and Dek a shot before you go all angsty. From what I've seen in the past, I don't think Garon is much, if any better than Sanford honestly.
Mason is not the total problem but he's not getting any one goal games either is he? He's giving up 3 goals a game, as he has done for over two years. Can't always blame the rest of the team to make Mason look good, not for over two years.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:38 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
This is correct, but he hasn't stolen a game for us (like good goalies do) and it's the only "easy" move that can be made. You can't get top D/F for crap.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:39 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Yeah, the Flyers are going to want to trade their goalie under and entry level contract for Mason's contract while up against the cap. Why in the world would they want Mason, contracts aside?

Old
10-12-2011, 09:39 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Mason is not the total problem but he's not getting any one goal games either is he? He's giving up 3 goals a game, as he has done for over two years. Can't always blame the rest of the team to make Mason look good, not for over two years.
Didn't address what you quoted. Trying not to be offensive, but you kind of rambling on about Mason when I was talking about the backups. The odds of moving Mason's contract is fairly remote. I think Howson did what he could with a bad situation (that he created no less).

Old
10-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Springy an sending Johansen to Portland before the stench of this season taints him.
Pretty much agree with this, except for the reason behind sending Johansen down: I just don't think he looks at all ready. He either has an epiphany in the next couple of games or he goes down.

I'd be fine with not seeing Dorsett again. I like his style of play and his work ethic, but I don't think he's necessary. I'd rather see a player with more potential given a shot. I'll leave the name to whomever saw more of the preseason games than I did. I just hope there is someone.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:43 PM
jacketsinDC

johansen and a salary dump for schenn (or schenn plus, whatever)

what kind of defenseman do you think johansen could return, since people voted for it?

jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Matt Foley
Blue Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Yep and yep.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:45 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Calvert And Atkinson have been getting some quality chances
But they only have 1 goal. Need to bury your chances.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Yeah, the Flyers are going to want to trade their goalie under and entry level contract for Mason's contract while up against the cap. Why in the world would they want Mason, contracts aside?
I'm thinking hypothetically calm the f down. What you just witnessed was a team that had their goaltender keep them in it long enough so they could make a comeback. It's obvious what we need. Either we score more than 2 goals a game, or we get the best goaltender in the league.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:47 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsinDC View Post
johansen and a salary dump for schenn (or schenn plus, whatever)

what kind of defenseman do you think johansen could return, since people voted for it?