HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Couturier and Read

Old
10-12-2011, 09:37 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Where did he screw around with the puck? Serious question, because I missed 2/3rds of the game are you sure he wasn't just taking his time to make the right play, rather than a kneejerk reaction when the puck hits his stick?
He made one clear mistake, where he tried to clear and failed. A mistake many players make. Nodl did the same thing and they scored off of it.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:40 PM
mirimon

He had a giveaway or two, but I think if they do send him to juniors in the end, it will be because they fear a full season in the NHL will grind him down too much. Not that he's not good enough defensively. He's showing a lot of maturity in his game so far.

He and Talbot had a few rough shifts on the pk, but they are not the first to have trouble against the Sedins and Vancouver.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:43 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
He had a giveaway or two, but I think if they do send him to juniors in the end, it will be because they fear a full season in the NHL will grind him down too much. Not that he's not good enough defensively. He's showing a lot of maturity in his game so far.

He and Talbot had a few rough shifts on the pk, but they are not the first to have trouble against the Sedins and Vancouver.
I'll be absolutely shocked if he goes back to Juniors. I don't see it happening.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Snipsnap12

His in zone play has been flawless through the first two games including serious time on the pk, tonight he made a couple of mistakes with the puck in the defensive zone but he is 18 years old, playing in philly for the first time, against the SCFinalists I mean he isnt going to go through the whole year without a couple bumps.

To add to the fact he hit the post while being sneaky in the slot, and set up voracek goal with an amazing cross ice feed from behind the net.

I mean honestly I dont really know if you could have expected much more from him at this point.

Not only should everyone be sold so far, but they should be shocked just how well this young kid is playing.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but I cringed several times tonight watching Couturier screw around with the puck in the defensive zone. IMO he still needs to show a bit more defensive awareness before being here permanently. On the plus side his offensive awareness is excellent.
My jaw just dropped. You can't possibly be serious.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:51 PM
MsWoof

I missed most of the game but it sounds like Lavi is testing him in a number of situations which is the right thing to do. If he makes a lot of mistakes and looks like he isn't ready, they'll know after 9 games. If they think otherwise, he'll stay. He's getting good minutes in various situations and that's exactly how it should be.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:51 PM
DeflatedFootball7

No I'm serious. I like Couts don't get me wrong. IMO his giveaway was avoidable by getting the puck out quicker instead of stickhandling around in the zone. As has been stated all rookies make mistakes, and I do expect Couts to probably stay the year. Just unimpressed with this game and especially the one giveaway.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
No I'm serious. I like Couts don't get me wrong. IMO his giveaway was avoidable by getting the puck out quicker instead of stickhandling around in the zone. As has been stated all rookies make mistakes, and I do expect Couts to probably stay the year. Just unimpressed with this game and especially the one giveaway.
One turnover in 3 games being put in pressure filled situations that 99% of rookies dont see I think he has played over and beyond what flyers fans could have expected. I will take that one turnover for all the other great things he is doing.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:55 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I thought he had a few gaffes defensively this game as in one or two as opposed to the prior games where he was perfect. That said, this was against the Sedin twins and the Vancouver Canucks and one of the deadliest powerplays in the NHL.

Don't dig too much into this. We'll know more after nine games.

I will also point out that he had a much better all-around offensive game today. He's starting to show that he can generate chances at the NHL level. That's not a good thing if you're an opposing team in the Flyers' division.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Flyerfan4life

I'd trade 2 Hartnells for him

I'll be VERY surprised if he doesn't stay on the roster in a big way

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
I'd trade 2 Hartnells for him

I'll be VERY surprised if he doesn't stay on the roster in a big way
I think the legein trade was done to ensure we could keep couturier imo.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Imagine if we could read this thread two months ago: 'Through 3 games, Couturier appears to be fallible."

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:04 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
I'll be absolutely shocked if he goes back to Juniors. I don't see it happening.
With the way he is playing, I expect him to stay as well. All I'm saying is, if he is sent to juniors, I don't think it will be because he "needs to show a bit more defensive awareness", but because of fears that he won't manage the wear and tear of a full season yet.

He looked a little tired out there towards the end of the game tonight, but that is only to be expected when you're logging 7+ minutes on the pk. That he's given that, and is used in the late stages of the home opener defending a one goal lead against Vancouver (and doing a pretty decent job of it as well), that is pretty damn impressive.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Prongo
Beer

Sean Couturier 17:45- Claude Giroux 16:31 TOI

Couts is out there in the biggest situations as a rookie. Played more than your best player, and played very well. He did have some mistakes but if i remember quickly they didn't end up in our net. Lavy already said he is the best defensive forward on the team and that was after the Devils game i believe. It took the head coach two games to already see the kid is the best d-forward on the team. There's really not much to be sold on here. He has played by far high and above what was expected of him. He will be here for the entire year so we all better get used to him shinning under pressure. He was also good in the offensive zone. He isnt really getting pushed around as much as everyone believed he would due to his lankyness

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:06 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
I don't know how you couldn't be impressed with him so far. If your looking for perfection, then maybe that's the issue. He's an 18 year old Rookie just drafted. He was 2nd among all Flyers Forwards in ice time with 17+ minutes of ice time, including over 7 minutes of PK time. Against the defending Western Conf Champs, and one of the best PP's in the League. And your not impressed. Something isn't right there.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:11 PM
FlyersFan61290

He is a top 3 defensive forward on the team this year. A few mistakes and a turnover or two against arguably the best offensive team in the league with a great powerplay doesn't change that. Considering he logged 7+ minutes on pk I thought he was one of our best players tonight

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:28 PM
AaronTrieu

Couturier was good. Not too many guys could be doing what he was doing out there regardless of their NHL experience. If you saw the game in person, i think you would be sold.

The player i loved most out there was Read. He was on the ice in every situation. PK, point man on the power play, even strength for energy, and closing minutes of the period. I'm really excited for these two players.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:33 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
Couturier was good. Not too many guys could be doing what he was doing out there regardless of their NHL experience. If you saw the game in person, i think you would be sold.

The player i loved most out there was Read. He was on the ice in every situation. PK, point man on the power play, even strength for energy, and closing minutes of the period. I'm really excited for these two players.
Read and Couturier seem to be developing some chemistry also which is nice. Honestly even with Hartnell who took some TERRIBLE penalties, I really like that 3rd line.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:37 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
More like all players make those mistakes. Most of the team had moments like that tonight where they tried to do too much with the puck rather than taking the smart percentage play and clearing/dumping. Overall he had another solid game defensively/on the PK. In the right spots at the right times.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:47 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Read and Couturier seem to be developing some chemistry also which is nice. Honestly even with Hartnell who took some TERRIBLE penalties, I really like that 3rd line.
They were probably the line who created the best sustained pressure in the offensive zone, while 5on5, tonight. Especially in the second period they had a few really good shifts, culminating with Couturier's great assist to Read's goal.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Teezax

Hartnell seems so irrelevant in this new lineup. Playing 12-13 mins at 4+ mill?
You barely see him out there anymore.
I could see a trade brewing with this guy.

But I am lovin me this youth man, gotta say, Couts looks unbelievable out there playing SH with Lavi having all the trust in the world with him, it's a pleasure to watch. He looks so calm and poised out there.

It's good to be a Flyers' fan today.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Wils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
Hartnell seems so irrelevant in this new lineup. Playing 12-13 mins at 4+ mill?
You barely see him out there anymore.
I could see a trade brewing with this guy.

But I am lovin me this youth man, gotta say, Couts looks unbelievable out there playing SH with Lavi having all the trust in the world with him, it's a pleasure to watch. He looks so calm and poised out there.

It's good to be a Flyers' fan today.
I think his poise is his biggest asset and attribute right now. It even cost him a few times last night, took his time in his zone to make a pass and got scrambled with one of his teammate that created a turnover at the blueline.

It was also nice to see Couturier setup Voracek for a nice snipe.

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Prongo
Beer

Chris Shafer where did you get your degree from??? I've been thinking about changing my major to journalism... was wondering where you went?

Old
10-13-2011, 10:00 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Chris Shafer where did you get your degree from??? I've been thinking about changing my major to journalism... was wondering where you went?
Don't do it. Journalism is a dying field. I graduated with a degree in journalism and the only job I could find that was even remotely livable regarding pay was at a weekly newspaper. Worked there for about a year, and don't get me wrong it was a lot of fun and I loved the job, but unless you have no student loans or a lot of savings (or are willing to have a second job), you won't be making any money any time soon.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Don't do it. Journalism is a dying field. I graduated with a degree in journalism and the only job I could find that was even remotely livable regarding pay was at a weekly newspaper. Worked there for about a year, and don't get me wrong it was a lot of fun and I loved the job, but unless you have no student loans or a lot of savings (or are willing to have a second job), you won't be making any money any time soon.
I've been researching the past couple of weeks and it seems like there is a good amount of available jobs out there.. I'm not content to just stay in Philly, I would go anywhere I could get a job that interest me. I would love to work for a newspaper if the opportunity would arise. I also wouldn't have much student Loans since i have gone to a community college and paid cash for all my courses. It's something I have always been interested in and feel its what I would like to do for a living