HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You're Howson....

View Poll Results: You're Howson. What do you do at 0-3-1?
Stand Pat. The answer is in the room. Do nothing. Hope for best. The team will come around! 24 34.78%
Freshen up my resume, and put my house up for sale. 11 15.94%
Get rid of Mason. Enough is enough. Find another G through trade or FA 15 21.74%
Make a big move to resuscitate the D (i.e. trade RyJo for #1D) 13 18.84%
Invite Hitch out to Tim's for coffee and some bits, get ready to beg for help 6 8.70%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-12-2011, 09:49 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
I'm thinking hypothetically calm the f down.
What part of my comment indicated I was riled up? It was the rebuttal. There was no emotion in the response to an idea that had no chance of playing out. So I called you on it. No harm, no foul.

News flash: Disagreement doesn't mean you need to "calm the f down".

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Pretty much agree with this, except for the reason behind sending Johansen down: I just don't think he looks at all ready. He either has an epiphany in the next couple of games or he goes down.
I didn't see anything wrong in his shifts. Though he looked decent for a 19 year old rookie that hasn't played in a week.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:57 PM
St1ngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsinDC View Post
johansen and a salary dump for schenn (or schenn plus, whatever)

what kind of defenseman do you think johansen could return, since people voted for it?
I don't know, I'd have to look at it - I think RyJo is about the only movable piece we have (save Nash and Carter) who could net a #1D at this point.

I don't see any way we could get anybody to give us anything for Mason at this point.

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:58 PM
jacketsinDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
i tried finding a better young defensive defenseman that isn't completely beyond getting with a top prospect. do you think john moore is going to return a defenseman that can fix this? or maybe we can pawn off pahlsson for someone like volchenkov? no one wants our crap. i'm curious what other people think they could realistically trade for a significant upgrade to the D corps

what could be traded for a quality defensive defenseman?

jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
What part of my comment indicated I was riled up? It was the rebuttal. There was no emotion in the response to an idea that had no chance of playing out. So I called you on it. No harm, no foul.

News flash: Disagreement doesn't mean you need to "calm the f down".
The part where you scrutinize everyone's posts, including mine like I was trying to personally send that to Howson. My point was getting Bobrovsky and ridding ourselves of Mason. If you want to come up and post a better proposal, be my guest.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I didn't see anything wrong in his shifts. Though he looked decent for a 19 year old rookie that hasn't played in a week.
My concern is that I haven't really seen any flashes that show he's about to move forward in his development. If a young defenseman isn't noticed on the ice, that's probably a good thing: If I don't really notice a promising, young, offensive forward on the ice, I don't consider that to be a good thing. From them, I expect flashes of offensive potential combined with the usual rookie mistakes. I don't notice many of those usual rookie mistakes from Johansen, which is wonderful, but I also don't see the flashes. Flash me, Johansen, and I'll be on your side

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
The part where you scrutinize everyone's posts, including mine like I was trying to personally send that to Howson. My point was getting Bobrovsky and ridding ourselves of Mason. If you want to come up and post a better proposal, be my guest.
THis could have been part of the Carter trade... I'll admit I'm not up to speed as to the impact of contracts on trade as this but if you do please post... thanks.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
My concern is that I haven't really seen any flashes that show he's about to move forward in his development. If a young defenseman isn't noticed on the ice, that's probably a good thing: If I don't really notice a promising, young, offensive forward on the ice, I don't consider that to be a good thing. From them, I expect flashes of offensive potential combined with the usual rookie mistakes. I don't notice many of those usual rookie mistakes from Johansen, which is wonderful, but I also don't see the flashes. Flash me, Johansen, and I'll be on your side
Calvert threw a cross crease pass that Jones broke up. If Jones wouldnt of been there Johansen would of scored to make it 3-1.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:22 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsinDC View Post
i tried finding a better young defensive defenseman that isn't completely beyond getting with a top prospect. do you think john moore is going to return a defenseman that can fix this? or maybe we can pawn off pahlsson for someone like volchenkov? no one wants our crap. i'm curious what other people think they could realistically trade for a significant upgrade to the D corps

what could be traded for a quality defensive defenseman?
We haven't even had our best defenseman play yet. Why trade Johansen for Schenn when we have 4 more games till Wis? Not saying Wis is better than Schenn, but he is at least in the top tier of Dmen.

Seriously, take a ****ing deep breath everyone before you start selling Vermette, Umberger, Johansen, Calvert, or Brassard for 4-5 defenseman or hopefuls. We have 79 games left. Its not March where the team has no time to turn it around. Look at Washington last year. Every team hits tough spots. We have ours early, no big deal. With all our new acquisitions and new players it will take time before they jell. I may be sounding like a broken record but its true. If we are no where close to .500 in December then I would be worried, fortunately it isn't close to that yet.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Renion

Quote:
Calvert threw a cross crease pass that Jones broke up. If Jones wouldnt of been there Johansen would of scored to make it 3-1.
Are we watching the same team?

In all seriousness, I'm sure Johansen has gotten opportunities and made nice plays. All I can do at the end of each game is determine which players I felt had an impact and which players I didn't really notice. Johansen has been in the latter category for the many many games he's played this season If that means people think I've overlooked numerous positive signs that Johansen is progressing nicely, well, I hope they end up being correct, because this team could use another top talent.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
We haven't even had our best defenseman play yet. Why trade Johansen for Schenn when we have 4 more games till Wis? Not saying Wis is better than Schenn, but he is at least in the top tier of Dmen.

Seriously, take a ****ing deep breath everyone before you start selling Vermette, Umberger, Johansen, Calvert, or Brassard for 4-5 defenseman or hopefuls. We have 79 games left. Its not March where the team has no time to turn it around. Look at Washington last year. Every team hits tough spots. We have ours early, no big deal. With all our new acquisitions and new players it will take time before they jell. I may be sounding like a broken record but its true. If we are no where close to .500 in December then I would be worried, fortunately it isn't close to that yet.
78 games...

Old
10-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I agree with you but if you're looking at Brass + Vermy/Calvert/Cam for Luke Schenn, I think you have to pull that trigger. Vermette honestly just doesnt score anymore. The whole rest of the team has been invisible its honestly amazing how pathetic it is.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:27 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
78 games...
Oh **** nevermind we are screwed.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:29 PM
calderone01

Quote:
I'm thinking hypothetically calm the f down. What you just witnessed was a team that had their goaltender keep them in it long enough so they could make a comeback. It's obvious what we need. Either we score more than 2 goals a game, or we get the best goaltender in the league.
Their goalie faced one shot in the 3rd period against us tonight. He was far from the reason for their comeback. I won't say Mason is the answer but he certainly wasn't the problem tonight.(till the shootout of course)

This team needs a defensive leader that isn't sitting in the press box or a Captain with balls of steel. Bottomline Howson better pray at this point cause the answer better be in that room.

calderone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Oh **** nevermind we are screwed.

I like you're postiveness, and from a few others... in the end you might be right but the stats don't lie... starting 0-3-1 does not bode well for any NHL team. I know what the Sabres did last year but something that Buffalo fan didn't mention, they had Ruff, Miller, Dineen sending guys to them and a playoff core from the prior season..

Old
10-12-2011, 10:50 PM
solomonsacct

Ask my financial adviser what he thinks would constitute a "conservative" budget relative to income. Decrease that number by 50 percent. Tell the wife while throwing the prenup in her face.

solomonsacct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonsacct View Post
Ask my financial adviser what he thinks would constitute a "conservative" budget relative to income. Decrease that number by 50 percent. Tell the wife while throwing the prenup in her face.
LOL

TY for the $ info,

Welcome rook.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:02 PM
FreeBoomer61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleJ View Post
Mason Has Not Been The Problem This Season, Watch The Games
this is 100% true. tonight, mason was stellar for 65 minutes. the offense doesnt know how to put the freakin puck in the net. thats the problem! our defense was much more sound tonight than the first three games, but i felt like jim tressel was running the offense the way the third period turned out. you cant win a one goal game if you get 1 measly shot in the final period.

with that said, i believe this is a coaching issue. now whose fault is it? idk. arniel always preaches the "go, go, go" mentality, but that clearly wasnt the gameplan for the third period tonight. something needs to change. im not saying something major like firing arny, making a blockbuster trade, etc. im saying the answer is indeed in the room. they need to switch up the lines more to get more depth in scoring. we cant win with one line getting all of our points!

heres what i think just for forwards:
22-50-61
18-7-11
15-26-8/33
16-24-13

basically 2 1/2 scoring lines with solid depth.

FreeBoomer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
this is 100% true. tonight, mason was stellar for 65 minutes. the offense doesnt know how to put the freakin puck in the net. thats the problem! our defense was much more sound tonight than the first three games, but i felt like jim tressel was running the offense the way the third period turned out. you cant win a one goal game if you get 1 measly shot in the final period.

with that said, i believe this is a coaching issue. now whose fault is it? idk. arniel always preaches the "go, go, go" mentality, but that clearly wasnt the gameplan for the third period tonight. something needs to change. im not saying something major like firing arny, making a blockbuster trade, etc. im saying the answer is indeed in the room. they need to switch up the lines more to get more depth in scoring. we cant win with one line getting all of our points!

heres what i think just for forwards:
22-50-61
18-7-11
15-26-8/33
16-24-13

basically 2 1/2 scoring lines with solid depth.
Although I don't think Mason is starting goalie caliber I will say it would help if the Jackets could score more than 2 goals a night... your new lines are a start.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:19 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

If I would be Howson I would trade one of the couple Brassard-Vermette because we have the first line center - Carter for draft pick.

And if Arniel, I would give more chances for Mayorov and Johansen, who showed their qualities and not for "players of worth" who played nothing. What they can think... they can try but they will not play because we have players who will play whether they play good or bad.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

if we're turning this into a speculation thread, a) i disagree with every choice up there and b) me thinks brass might be the odd man out here...it seemed as though brass and russell were both being showcased a good bit tonight...atleast i noticed them both more than the other games...

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:26 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Both of them, Mayorov and Atkinson belong to the roster, similar Johansen. Brassard showed soe good things... the last game he was whorse than Mayorov... in the first game he was not better than Johansen... he is the most time invisible... I cannot say about some unnamed vets... and play. I ask, why? Will we wait all season untill he plays a bit better?

I would like to ask Arniel for it.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Both of them, Mayorov and Atkinson belong to the roster, similar Johansen. Brassard showed soe good things... the last game he was whorse than Mayorov... in the first game he was not better than Johansen... he is the most time invisible... I cannot say about some unnamed vets... and play. I ask, why? Will we wait all season untill he plays a bit better?

I would like to ask Arniel for it.
Just being honest here MK and I do enjoy your posts; I simply have a hard time understanding your points sometimes... as for me, keep it simple..

Yes, I wanted Mayorov to play tonight.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:01 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Just being honest here MK and I do enjoy your posts; I simply have a hard time understanding your points sometimes... as for me, keep it simple..

Yes, I wanted Mayorov to play tonight.
Sorry but I am so angry for preffering some players only for his name that I do not concentrate my English...

Btw, when Mayorov will want trade Umberger can write about it on your twitter...

Old
10-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Sorry but I am so angry for preffering some players only for his name that I do not concentrate my English...

Btw, when Mayorov will want trade Umberger can write about it on your twitter...
I'd have Mayorov on the second line for a few games... RJ? he's a no comment player here.