HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carey Price About To Join The Record Books

Old
10-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Leo Getz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Wouldn't that be Don Edwards?
I was counting Don Edwards as getting it in the fewest. But I guess I am way off since for instance Cam Ward got 120 in 225 so his 100th would have been before 209. Same with Roy (133 in 241) and Fuhr (148 in 255) etc.

Don't mind me. Carry on.

Leo Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Habbadasher

I read an article a short while back that stated that Beaupre, Chevaldae, and Osgood were amongst the worst goalies of all time. Hmmm.

It was from bleacher report, but I can't find the link. grrrr.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
You can never comapare this type of state with players who start playing at a younger age. If a team decides to play a player when he's younger, he get's an advantage over other player who the team decdides to play them at an older age.

Price was given the opportunity to play many games as soon as he could. The Habs chose to play Halak in Hamilton longer.

Halak was Drafted in 2003, played one season in the Q to have a chance to learn to play in North America, Started in the ECHL and played the reminder of 3 seasons in Hamilton because he had to compete against Huet, Danis and then Price. Despite appearing in the All-star game 2 season in a row in Hamilton, he was always considered a 9th round "small" goalie by the Habs.

Carey Price was then drafted in 2005. He played one season in the WHL, already knew the NA style of play, only appeared in the AHL play-offs to go on to win the Calder cup and was then considered a number one goalie never to play another game in the minors with Halak looking from the pine until Price stuggled endlessly in 2009.

Now again, I'm not knocking Price. I really think he will have an amazing career and I hope he signs long term in Montreal. I just don't think it's fair to compare the two as what they have achieved at a young age. Halak had it harder and had more adjustments to make than Price. If Halak would have played Hockey in Canada as opposed to Slovakia and had been a few inches taller, who knows where he would have been drafted and how sooner he would have played in the NHL given the opportunity.

Will Price be a better goalie at the end of his career statswise over Halak? Maybe, but we will only see when their careers are over. Is it fair to say that Price is way better than Halak and "Thank god they kept Price"? I don't believe it fair to say it now based on who had more wins at the age of 24.

I don't even see how this can be hard to understand.
You lack imagination and foresight if "maybe" is all you're willing to say.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Price is in the company of 12 other goalies in an age when win totals are inflated by the OT/SO rule.

Patrick had 46 losses at 24
Carey has 77 to date.

Patrick was 22-11 in the playoffs
Carey 8-15

The whole story is that we're comparing apples to oranges.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:38 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Price is in the company of 12 other goalies in an age when win totals are inflated by the OT/SO rule.

Carey has 77 to date.

Carey 8-15

he's still getting 100 wins on paper, no matter what. You Mad?

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
not mad, but if you are going to put a player in a group with the greats of the game on win totals the loss totals should be disclosed as well.

If only to show that Patrick was the greatest goaltender in the history of the planet.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You lack imagination and foresight if "maybe" is all you're willing to say.
You lack imagination and foresight if all you read was "maybe".

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Viggo Mortensen

Quote:
not mad, but if you are going to put a player in a group with the greats of the game on win totals the loss totals should be disclosed as well.

If only to show that Patrick was the greatest goaltender in the history of the planet.
You are talking about OT/SO inflating win total, but it also inflates the loss total (compared to ties)....A goalie from this era will have more losses than before because of that part of the game too, and would then be a disadvantage in a comparison

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:56 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Price 99 wins in 209 games played.

Halak 84 wins in 160 games played.

Had Halak been treated like a number 1 goalie in Montreal he would have had a lot more games played. This thread isn't about who is going to be a better goalie. This thread is about Price having had a good start to his career like a few other all stars.

Good for Price. I'm happy for him. But it doesn't take away what Halak has done for Montreal or that he's also having a pretty good career despite the way he was used and treated by management..
Halak can't handle more games, that was the problem. The dude was completely gassed by the ECF and only had played 70 games all year including the playoffs and olympics. Price played more than that in the regular season and still had energy a plenty in the playoffs.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:14 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

you can cross analyse all you want. the list is still simply, a list of wins prior 24. Just like the milestone of goals scored, takes only goals scored as a variable. +/- and whether the player donated regularly to charities does not really matter for that list.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:

True that Roy is the greatest ever, but don't forget your comparison on losses is skewed.

Back in the day they had ties. So yes, they had less wins, but they also had less losses...

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
You are talking about OT/SO inflating win total, but it also inflates the loss total (compared to ties)....A goalie from this era will have more losses than before because of that part of the game too, and would then be a disadvantage in a comparison
Actually the L category doesn't include the OTL's and SOL's and if you include those numbers it tilts more in the favour of the legends.

In any case I think it's obvious Price has a long way to go to be legitimately put into the same sentence as Roy, Brodeur, and Sawchuk. Which is what the article tried to do.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:02 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
He used to be the post JimCareyPrice who basically ragged on Price constantly and favored Halak up until Price started to do well where he chose not to eat crow but rather go into hiding for months (name change) and resurface as Agnostic. Nuff said really, and this is not a flame it's just facts.

Quote:
Actually the L category doesn't include the OTL's and SOL's and if you include those numbers it tilts more in the favour of the legends.

In any case I think it's obvious Price has a long way to go to be legitimately put into the same sentence as Roy, Brodeur, and Sawchuk. Which is what the article tried to do.
But clearly he isn't, clearly he's only 1 win away from being categorized with those legends on one level or another. Does it mean he'll shatter their records? Of course not, some of those goalies also played on far more dominant teams. When you're looking at a goalie you need to factor in the team they had in front of him but even regardless of the team he's still fitting into that one category and likely many more for years to come. If that isn't a good sign then what else is.

He's played for a bubble team or close to his entire career. I understand you don't like Price but come on.

Quote:

Last I checked it wasn't based on winning % which is it's own thing. It's based on winning X amount of games before a certain age.

Last edited by neofury*: 10-13-2011 at 08:18 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Andy

Is Earl still butt-hurt about Halak being traded?

Geeze man get over it. It's still an accomplishment that very few goalies achieved. He also did it at the age of 24 despite struggling for about a year and a half. It's pretty impressive how far he's come.

Yah Price was favored, but rightfully so, he's an Elite goalie and when all is said and done he might be considered a generational talent.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

Carey has 77 to date.

Carey 8-15

It's not the whole story. On average, the Hab teams Patrick played for had greater scoring potential than the present crew.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Halak can't handle more games, that was the problem. The dude was completely gassed by the ECF and only had played 70 games all year including the playoffs and olympics. Price played more than that in the regular season and still had energy a plenty in the playoffs.
You're correct. Price's durability as well as his size and technique entered into Gauthier's decision to trade Halak. This doesn't mean that Halak isn't a good goaltender but it does mean that the quality of the second goaltender is not as much of a factor in Montréal as it is in St. Louis.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:58 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:

I can't breathe, this is too funny.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:02 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It's not the whole story. On average, the Hab teams Patrick played for had greater scoring potential than the present crew.
Not to mention better defenders.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:07 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:

Yeah but Ziggy Stopdust of Mars was the best in the galaxy.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote