HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will Schenn be recalled?

View Poll Results: When will Schenn be called up again?
After the first game 11 20.37%
Before game 10 26 48.15%
After more than 10 games are played 12 22.22%
Not before someone is injured 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-12-2011, 10:26 PM
DeflatedFootball7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
No. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Schenn until around Christmas.
That would be a joke.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:30 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
That would be a joke.
Why is that? Claude Giroux played 33 games with the Phantoms before coming up to the Flyers in his first year.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:31 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
That would be a joke.
I dont ussually agree with what anything Vansciver says, but with the emergence of Couturier, I can see Schenn only being called up during an injury at this point in time. Yea it is easy to say he takes Rinaldo's spot but where does he play? Other then the few people who see Read on the 4th line (now that he is also playing on the first pp unit, I HIGHLY doubt Read is one the 4th line at all this season), where does he play? Now if they went and traded Hartnell or whatnot, then yea I can see him on the 3rd line, but I dont think management does that. The only other option is that they move Couturier to 4th line center with top pk minutes. I dont know if they put their bluechip 18 yr old center on the 4th line.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Putting Couturier on the 4th would probably be worse for his development than getting 25 minutes per game in the Q.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I dont ussually agree with what anything Vansciver says, but with the emergence of Couturier, I can see Schenn only being called up during an injury at this point in time. Yea it is easy to say he takes Rinaldo's spot but where does he play? Other then the few people who see Read on the 4th line (now that he is also playing on the first pp unit, I HIGHLY doubt Read is one the 4th line at all this season), where does he play? Now if they went and traded Hartnell or whatnot, then yea I can see him on the 3rd line, but I dont think management does that. The only other option is that they move Couturier to 4th line center with top pk minutes. I dont know if they put their bluechip 18 yr old center on the 4th line.

I don't see what's so fearsome about that. I think the Flyers should roll the best four lines possible, and if that includes Couturier on the 4th line, then so be it. Having a truly great 4th line with shutdown ability is just another advantage that the Flyers will have, especially against coaches who cannot trust their 4th line to give them valuable and productive minutes. If the Flyers have 4 great lines, there's no reason for that to be the "graveyard" shift, getting only paltry minutes. It may take some more conscientious balancing, but a lot of the difference in individual minutes comes from special teams as well.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Putting Couturier on the 4th would probably be worse for his development than getting 25 minutes per game in the Q.
Eh, well a few teams did it last season, like Boston with Seguin, and in the Flyers case awhile ago in Umberger (yea he was older, but still rookie season as a 4th line center).

Honestly, Id be fine with a Schenn-Couturier-Read combo. They all can take faceoffs, and are defensively sound. Read and Couturier have shown they can easily hold their own. Now ya, halfway through the season I dont know how it would look if they hit a wall, but right now I think Id be comfortable with it.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I don't see what's so fearsome about that. I think the Flyers should roll the best four lines possible, and if that includes Couturier on the 4th line, then so be it. Having a truly great 4th line with shutdown ability is just another advantage that the Flyers will have, especially against coaches who cannot trust their 4th line to give them valuable and productive minutes. If the Flyers have 4 great lines, there's no reason for that to be the "graveyard" shift, getting only paltry minutes. It may take some more conscientious balancing, but a lot of the difference in individual minutes comes from special teams as well.
Never said I didnt like it, but said I dont know if they do it.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:41 PM
VanSciver

Not to mention if they keep Schenn down for a couple of months, his Cap charge to the Flyers decreases by around 500K

Old
10-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

Quote:
Not to mention if they keep Schenn down for a couple of months, his Cap charge to the Flyers decreases by around 500K
It does? Based on what?

Old
10-12-2011, 10:43 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If Lavy continues to roll the lines like he does at the moment, and we assume that Couturier and Talbot continues to be the 1st pairing out on the pk, he'd still see plenty of time out there.

This game was obviously a bit strange, what with the many penalties called, but Talbot was out there for more than 16 minutes as our 4th line center. He's been around 13 or so in the previous games I think.

I've been thinking about having Read on the 4th line previously (when Schenn gets the call), but if he plays like he did today there is no chance of that happening. He was splendid.

Wayne Simmonds - Claude Giroux - Jaromir Jagr
James van Riemsdyk - Daniel Brière - Jakub Voracek
Scott Hartnell - Brayden Schenn - Matt Read
Max Talbot - Sean Couturier - Andreas Nödl

maybe? JvR gets a little bit forgotten on the first line. Roo and Jagr are looking for each other a bit too much perhaps, not that things haven't worked out that way so far. Simmonds is a more natural player to simply "settle" for crashing the net.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:44 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
It does? Based on what?
How the Cap is calculated.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

Quote:
How the Cap is calculated.
His cap hit should remain the same, whether he's called up now when he's not bonus eligable or in January, right? What am I missin'?

Old
10-12-2011, 10:50 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
His cap hit should remain the same, whether he's called up now when he's not bonus eligable or in January, right? What am I missin'?
His Cap hit yes, but not his Cap charge. Each day, if the 1.7M Cap hit reduced by not hitting the minutes per game bonus is true, his Cap charge decreases by about 9K a day, that he spends in the AHL.

1.7M / 185 will give you his Daily Cap hit.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:08 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2151
Sam at the Inq. is on WIP now and he held to the belief that Schenn won't be promoted "until there's an injury. We all know there'll will be one."

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:59 PM
BillDineen

Hartnell looks more like a rookie that needs seasoning than Couturier in the first three games. He might play himself down to the fourth line first.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:40 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Why is everyone so quick to put Couturier on the 4th line and Schenn on the 3rd if/when Schenn gets called up? I beg to differ. I think Couturier stays on the 3rd and it'll be Schenn who gets the 4th line assignment with Talbot and Nodl.

I'm also wondering if Nodl continues to flounder, would the Flyers consider moving him and maybe bringing up Wellwood with Schenn to man the 4th with Talbot? I know some might say we'll have too many first year players in the lineup, but if I remember correctly, when Mike Keenan was coach, he had five of them in the lineup at one time.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Mota

It wont hurt him to play in the AHL for a while. Him and Couturier are the future and I personally dont want to see either of them moved to wing or the 4th line.

When they call him up, I'd look to move Briere to wing because he does not seem to be clicking with his current line.

Maybe something like..

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Schenn-Briere
Vorecek-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Talbot-Nodl
Rinaldo

I think its more likely they put Schenn at wing though unless one of their centers get hurt.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
It wont hurt him to play in the AHL for a while. Him and Couturier are the future and I personally dont want to see either of them moved to wing or the 4th line.

When they call him up, I'd look to move Briere to wing because he does not seem to be clicking with his current line.

Maybe something like..

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Schenn-Briere
Read-Talbot-Nodl
Rinaldo

I think its more likely they put Schenn at wing though unless one of their centers get hurt.
Interesting, but I don't see it happening. I'd love to see Schenn called up soon though.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:14 PM
lancer247

schenn or coots on the 4th line isn't that bad if they roll 4.
i remember forsberg saying playing on a 4th line his rookie year was great because he had no pressure to score and could just run around hitting people. of course he had simon onhis wing to protect him as opposed to talbot or nodl.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:30 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

Maybe something like..

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Schenn-Briere
Read-Talbot-Nodl
Rinaldo

I don't think they would shuffle all lines apart from the Giroux line just to provide the best fit fot Schenn. It's more realistic that he replaces Talbot as the 4th line center (with Max moving to wing) or he gets a chance on wing if someone else gets injured.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:50 AM
PALE PWNR

I want to see schenn if that means letting Couturier play with Talbot and Nodl then so be it let him develop his defensive game with a great pker and Nodl and Talbot are not that bad in the offensive side of the game. Or move hartnell. I'm not opposed to either but I want schenn here, very soon. Show him off against LA.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I want to see schenn if that means letting Couturier play with Talbot and Nodl then so be it let him develop his defensive game with a great pker and Nodl and Talbot are not that bad in the offensive side of the game. Or move hartnell. I'm not opposed to either but I want schenn here, very soon. Show him off against LA.
If Schenn were coming back for the LA game, he would be here already.

I like the idea of him with 3rd line and Couts on 4C with talbot. Schenn has more offensive skill, as great as Couts is.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:06 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
If Schenn were coming back for the LA game, he would be here already.

I like the idea of him with 3rd line and Couts on 4C with talbot. Schenn has more offensive skill, as great as Couts is.
And how do you know for sure that Schenn got more offensive upside?

Couturier had to focus on his defensive skills in the role Laviolette asked him to fill....it does not mean that he is not very good offensively.
Schenn has done nothing so far that deserves him to not have to prove himself on a 4th line.
IF he had proven that in camp and exhibition games, he would not be where he is now.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:35 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
And how do you know for sure that Schenn got more offensive upside?

Couturier had to focus on his defensive skills in the role Laviolette asked him to fill....it does not mean that he is not very good offensively.
Schenn has done nothing so far that deserves him to not have to prove himself on a 4th line.
IF he had proven that in camp and exhibition games, he would not be where he is now.
Schenn did not play him off the lineup he got hurt and Couturier played himsef into it. Big difference

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Snipsnap12

Wish we were playing him against the kings.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote