HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#3|Oct 12, 2011|Canucks at Flyers|7:30 p.m. ET

Old
10-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Neither team really deserved to win tonight, sloppy on both sides. The PK started out rough, but got better as they played more which was damned important at the end, what with Flyers getting penalized for existing.

10-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Neither team really deserved to win tonight, sloppy on both sides. The PK started out rough, but got better as they played more which was damned important at the end, what with Flyers getting penalized for existing.
I think we deserved to win.

Were you so sure that we had a viable team a month ago? I wasn't.

I fully expected (and would've been happy) with a few competitive losses.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Wont Couts be worn out super early at this ice time rate? Hopefully not.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Invictus146

Just got in from the game - weird cheering against my second favourite team (hometown team has got to come first) but a fun, albeit it really sloppy game.

Reffing was a little ridiculous, with a lot of the third period calls more "reputation" calls I feel. Thought there were way too many called overall. The Giroux-Jagr-JVR combination (all of them look individually awesome as well) is deadly and I thought the Flyers really outplayed any line that didn't have Sedins on it, and occasionally Hodgson/Higgins (miss Kes). Thought the shot count was not reflective of Bryz's work load, but couldn't really blame him on those goals. Couturier looked great at times, and a rookie at others. Luongo is Luongo (Jekyll/Hyde).

All in all - good time and excited to watch both teams this year and hopefully for a long time.

Invictus146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:27 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
They probably think Luongo was great in the SCF too
Hard to blame the first goal tonight on him, but shouldn't get that deep in his own net even on dump-arounds. The third goal was on a bungled clear by him and then mishandling Giroux's soft toss-in from the point.

Really hard to blame Bryz on any of those PP goals. Higgins' maybe shouldn't have gone in, but it happens.

One of the things that made me glad is seeing him make glove saves without having to flash it up. The glove isn't resting on top of the pad as we saw with Leighton/Boosh/Bob a lot, it's always at the ready.

I'd also love to hear what JVR actually motioned/said to the ref to get called for unsportsmanlike. You never really see that called in that kind of situation, players always whine and ***** for calls.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
This is a game we lose last year.

If we did, there would have been 6 threads on Blair Betts.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Can anyone make a good comparison for Couturier? He plays nothing like staal. Its weird i cant compare him to anyone.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Can anyone make a good comparison for Couturier? He plays nothing like staal. Its weird i cant compare him to anyone.
Reminds me of Handzus out there.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Invictus146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Doesn't look so much like it now - more so before (WJC) - maybe a fusion of Eric/Jordan? I know others were describing him as Thornton-like (which I disagree with)

Edit: For now, Handzus is not a bad comparison either

Invictus146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:58 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Apparently some fans booed a cancer ad on the jumbotron featuring Crosby, Toews, and Ryan Miller.

Of course they weren't booing the message, just the fact that it featured some of Flyer fans most hated players.

Kind of weird they would even think that would work out good in Philly... unless they planned it

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Reminds me of Handzus out there.
I see that, with much better hands though. i want to say he has parts of his game that remind me of jumbo joe.

Lecavalier?

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:00 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus146 View Post
Doesn't look so much like it now - more so before (WJC) - maybe a fusion of Eric/Jordan? I know others were describing him as Thornton-like (which I disagree with)
He mentioned both those players as a comparative during a Q and A prior to the Draft.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

He's got much, much worse hair than Zeus, though.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:08 PM
mirimon

Would Mikko Koivu be far off? Sometimes, I think I see a little bit of that in him.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
I think we deserved to win.

Were you so sure that we had a viable team a month ago? I wasn't.

I fully expected (and would've been happy) with a few competitive losses.
I wasn't either. But I'm still waiting to see if all these rookies burn out with the pace they're playing and the minutes they're getting.

Of course, if Briere wakes up he'd go a long way to resolving any issues they may have if that happens.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:17 PM
mirimon

Quote:
I wasn't either. But I'm still waiting to see if all these rookies burn out with the pace they're playing and the minutes they're getting.

Of course, if Briere wakes up he'd go a long way to resolving any issues they may have if that happens.
I'm enjoying the ride so far. It's been, not just three wins, but three pretty impressive wins against tough competition. I'm expecting things to go a bit up and down this season though.

Although, if Brière finds his game, and we can get that 20-minute absolutely dominating Jagr (this is sarcasm, no need to keep the thread going for 20 pages about this), maybe that will offset Read and Couturier tiring somewhat and Nödl hitting the sophomore slump...

Old
10-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

OT, but mirimon, where you from? I'm guessin' Göteborg, but that might be my anti-gbg nerve guessing the wrong town wrong.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:25 PM
mirimon

That would be it. It's kind of a nice town, actually. Except for the rain. And the never ending wind.

If you're cheering for AIK though, then it's definitely the wrong town.

I think I remember you being from Vimmerby, something about a bank robbery a while back? I think we're the only Swedes here, at least.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
That would be it. It's kind of a nice town, actually. Except for the rain. And the never ending wind.

If you're cheering for AIK though, then it's definitely the wrong town.

I think I remember you being from Vimmerby, something about a bank robbery a while back? I think we're the only Swedes here, at least.
I'm from Vimmerby, yeah. I kinda like GBG except for the sports fans and the accent, hah! I've been a Flyers fan almost as long as I've been a DIF fan, since I was about 5-6 years old 27 now.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:

This same thought crossed my mind as well at some point in the 3rd period, but that was before the Flyers killed a parade of Vancouver Power Plays, some of them very iffy. For all the things you could criticize (jittery clears, discombobulated d-units) the overall tenor of the Flyers play against an elite opponent was very positive and encouraging.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:12 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Like they say..good teams find ways to win. Flyers are a good team. Flyers last 3 games have found a way to win particularly against the two Stanley Cup finalists. I don't see anything negative about what the Flyers have accomplished thus far given all the new faces on the team. They have shown a defensive and offensive side to them against good competition. Bryzgalov made the saves tonight in the final stanza when they were most needed. He wasn't spectacular but solid IMO....he made the situational saves.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:49 AM
SEALBound

Didn't see the game. How does Jagr look out there for you guys?

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Mike2000z28

3 games in and i have to say im impressed. Sure they are going to go through slumps and its going to be a real PITA since its a whole new team. I think the goalie has already made a big difference in confidence on the team as well as making the routine saves he should make. No way we would have won this game tonight without him making routine saves. Its sad but true.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:36 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Didn't see the game. How does Jagr look out there for you guys?
Almost had a goal, and had a nice assist. He is so damn solid on the puck... I think I remember one giveaway..

So, he looked great.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:05 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Apparently some fans booed a cancer ad on the jumbotron featuring Crosby, Toews, and Ryan Miller.

Of course they weren't booing the message, just the fact that it featured some of Flyer fans most hated players.

Kind of weird they would even think that would work out good in Philly... unless they planned it
Yup, and some neutral hockey writers/tweeters tweeted about it, and PuckDaddy wrote an completely unnecessary article about it, and it showed up on the yahoo! front page...which has of course turned into a colossal Philly bashfest in the comment section, with ignorant people around the country thinking that a couple morons at the game represent the city, and that we all hate people with cancer...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote