HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where in the World is Kirill Kabanov ?

Old
10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
UkraineTrain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
thanks for translating and posting the interview.

And that was NOT bad English....I've seen worse from those who were born and educated in North America, sadly
Thanks a lot

UkraineTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Brunomics

Hell even Kabanov himself just wrote on FB how he's proud to be apart of the NHL and not to listen to the media.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:35 PM
JKP

A couple thoughts to this thread:

1) I want to see KK in the Q, not in the SEL. It would be a better environment for him to continue his maturation, IMO.

2) The CHL rule is good. As someone that lives in a CHL town, the hockey is certainly more entertaining to watch than the AHL was when it was here. The kids work harder and there aren't a bunch of over-the-hill stiffs and wannabes taking up the ice time. The top prospects are the stars of their teams and play in all situations.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
A couple thoughts to this thread:

1) I want to see KK in the Q, not in the SEL. It would be a better environment for him to continue his maturation, IMO.

2) The CHL rule is good. As someone that lives in a CHL town, the hockey is certainly more entertaining to watch than the AHL was when it was here. The kids work harder and there aren't a bunch of over-the-hill stiffs and wannabes taking up the ice time. The top prospects are the stars of their teams and play in all situations.
So it's good for kids to be playing against others that they should be moving on from? Hell even make it a rule that 1 year after being drafted they can go to the minors I'm fine with that but I feel that them starting in the ECHL moving to the AHL then the NHL is a much better route. Plus it expands the game down here when highly touted prospects are playing better competition in the minor league cities. The CHL becomes a waste of time to the top tier after they are drafted most of the time I feel. Personally I feel the reason the rule is there is purely profit motivated and it holds prospects back from moving up leagues.

Old
10-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I think Kabanov would benefit from playing against men in pro hockey MORE THAN he would playing junior. Even with less playing time, that level of competition (talent, size/strength, less time/space to make plays) is something he'll face in the NHL, something he'll need to overcome.

I don't believe in rushing prospects, for sure, but especially Kabanov. He's got real enthusiasm for the game and a lot of potential, but we won't be an effective NHL player unless he gets stronger and learns to play different.
I agree. Also, the shorter game schedule will make it easier to bulk up, and playing against men will help give him incentive to do so.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Sneekypete

KK is off to Euro from Katie Strang on Twitter... on my phone so i cant link

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
So it's good for kids to be playing against others that they should be moving on from? Hell even make it a rule that 1 year after being drafted they can go to the minors I'm fine with that but I feel that them starting in the ECHL moving to the AHL then the NHL is a much better route. Plus it expands the game down here when highly touted prospects are playing better competition in the minor league cities. The CHL becomes a waste of time to the top tier after they are drafted most of the time I feel. Personally I feel the reason the rule is there is purely profit motivated and it holds prospects back from moving up leagues.
A couple of main points.

The first, you make it sound like the CHL gets all the benefits, and the players get none. The players got to play in the CHL for two years prior to their draft year, and received the development during that time that enabled them to be able to get drafted by a NHL club. The NHL realizes that the CHL spends all that time, effort, and money in developing their future players, and thus they're perfectly fine with the rule in place.

Saying that it would give other players a chance also is misguided. Those "other players" would be guys only good enough for Tier II under the current circumstances. If they allowed CHL-aged players to play in the ECHL or AHL, then their spots would be filled by guys who aren't very good. That would hurt the overall quality of hockey at the junior level, including the quality of competition these future NHL players would be facing on a nightly basis. It would also cause less fans to want to attend games. There's a reason CHL arenas can fill 7000+ arenas on a nightly basis, while Tier II teams are lucky to get 1000. The quality of hockey played at that level. Taking the majority of drafted players out of the CHL means that quality drops tremendously, and thus so does interest by the fans.

It's a mutually beneficial agreement that, really, only "hurts" a tiny, tiny fraction of players. Those good enough to make the jump to the NHL right away aren't affected, and those who are almost there get an extra year or two of development against players their age before they move on.

And second, there's also the impact of the age of these kids. Playing in the NHL is one thing; I'm sure they watch their players especially close when you're in the spotlight. NHL clubs spring for all sorts of personnel staff that make sure the youngsters' transition to life in the NHL is as smooth as possible.

ECHL teams don't exactly have the same budget or staff available to make sure the same transition is there for a 19 year old kid suddenly on his own, left to his own devices. In the ECHL, the 19 year old is surrounded by adults, with a lot more freedom to do whatever they want (to an extent). They live on their own, they're basically living as adults. At least in junior, players aren't on their own. They have billets who look after them at home, there is a requirement that they attend classes, and they're surrounded by others their age.

I really think people who are against this rule haven't actually looked deeper into the benefits, both to the player AND to the league that spends money and time developing these players. I mean, if the CHL folds (and it would, given that NHL clubs pay these clubs development money each year a drafted player plays for that club), then where are these players going to develop? You going to send a bunch of 16 year olds to play in Europe or to play against men in the ECHL?

Last edited by Sidney the Kidney: 10-12-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Disappointing. I think he'd have been better served from a maturity standpoint by playing in the Q, especially if he was traded to a small town team.

Old
10-12-2011, 05:04 PM
IslandersFan17

This can not seem to stick anywhere. Hard to develop when you can not call a place "home" so-to-speak for more than a single season

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I think one of the Euro players on the Armada is now out with a concussion. We'll have to see if Kabanov can now slide in there.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
This can not seem to stick anywhere. Hard to develop when you can not call a place "home" so-to-speak for more than a single season
exactly.. this poor kid is traveling all over the place and cant his find his groove and then youll have the experts on this board claiming it was his attitude problems.

I cannot believe Garth and Wang cant petition the league or handle this matter with Betteman. Regardless what round he was drafted - Kabanov is a top rated prospect and him being in Europe and not here close to the organization where he can truly learn and grow is a major crime.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:03 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
exactly.. this poor kid is traveling all over the place and cant his find his groove and then youll have the experts on this board claiming it was his attitude problems.

I cannot believe Garth and Wang cant petition the league or handle this matter with Betteman. Regardless what round he was drafted - Kabanov is a top rated prospect and him being in Europe and not here close to the organization where he can truly learn and grow is a major crime.
Really does stink. I mean you look at some of these kids that are drafted whom have played on the same junior team for a couple of years. Yes, their junior roster might have some turnover in their time there and what have you but they can at least feel comfortable growing and developing in one spot. Most likely with the same coaches and same staff at the helm.

The fact that the league can not figure something out about this. The kid is being treated like a red-headed step child. I believe in what comes around goes around, and yes, KK has made some CHILDISH mistakes in his storied past. However, KK is just that a KID and made those mistakes and has shown a remarkable turn around in maturity.

At this point I almost wish the Islanders would have kept KK and had him on the 4th line or something. At least it would have been better than the kid being jerked around relentlessly.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:03 PM
drive45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
I hope she's wrong on this one.

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:10 PM
jarhead

A couple of other notable quotes from the article:

On taking responsibility for past mistakes:

You were not late to this training camp. What happened?

Well, as you can see, I have changed.

According to you, do people change?

Yes, especially at this age. I admitted to many mistakes of my youth. Smart learn on others' mistakes, stupid on your own. I learned on my own.

jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:29 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I think one of the Euro players on the Armada is now out with a concussion. We'll have to see if Kabanov can now slide in there.
I cant believe they want Nikolaev over kabanov. How stupid is that. 9 games 1 goal.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Parise9Crosby87

i was wondering why he wasnt playing hope he can get traded in qjmhl or something

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
I cant believe they want Nikolaev over kabanov. How stupid is that. 9 games 1 goal.
Nikolaev is their player since their start, not a player someone else cut. Kabanov is Kabanov, he will find a new team, and all.

10-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Jim Morrison

Kirill Kabanov will play with Färjestad BK in the Swedish Elite League.

http://eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=4

http://translate.google.se/translate...icle985551.ece

Same team as draftees such as Jonas Brodin and Oscar Klefbom.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Strummergas

So, the kid goes off to Sweden to play with men for 1 year and then off to Bridgeport next season when he turns 20. Am I the only one who doesn't see this as a travesty?

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:35 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
So, the kid goes off to Sweden to play with men for 1 year and then off to Bridgeport next season when he turns 20. Am I the only one who doesn't see this as a travesty?
My worry with KK at this point is less about his skill development and more about his maturity development.

I think being in Lewiston did wonders for that because it's small and distraction-free. Being in Montreal worried me and I was hopeful he'd get traded to a smaller Q town.

Going to a men's team in Sweden doesn't fill me with hope that it will aid in his maturation. Would have preferred him to be playing a veteran role on a tight team of kids around his own age in a small town where he could be focused.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I'd prefer him to play in the AHL but due to that rule it's not going to happen this year. But I'm fine with it because he'll be playing a man's game which means he can't pull attitude like he did in the CHL(which I think he's past anyways). It'll be a good experience for him.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:53 AM
OpAck

Well, Farjestad has won 2 Championships in the past 3 seasons and is usually a pretty good team (also Jorgen Jonsson's former team). I don't think they're off to a good start this year...and I don't see any Islander connections on the team...and I think Czarnecki is their new coach and Hakan Loob runs the team. Question should be, is he going to get ice-time and does this help his development and maturity?

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Well, Farjestad has won 2 Championships in the past 3 seasons and is usually a pretty good team (also Jorgen Jonsson's former team). I don't think they're off to a good start this year...and I don't see any Islander connections on the team...and I think Czarnecki is their new coach and Hakan Loob runs the team. Question should be, is he going to get ice-time and does this help his development and maturity?
Ehhh it's the best he'll get this year, that's all that can really be said about it.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
My worry with KK at this point is less about his skill development and more about his maturity development.

I think being in Lewiston did wonders for that because it's small and distraction-free. Being in Montreal worried me and I was hopeful he'd get traded to a smaller Q town.

Going to a men's team in Sweden doesn't fill me with hope that it will aid in his maturation. Would have preferred him to be playing a veteran role on a tight team of kids around his own age in a small town where he could be focused.
Possibly, but I feel like a boy playing amongst men would be less inclined to act immaturely. His teammates won't stand for it and also won't have any qualms about calling him out for acting like a spoiled child. While it's not the best case scenario, I think it'll turn out fine.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Opposite for me. Kid has missed a lot of hockey time. Being given terrible advice by people you trust is not a maturity issue, just an unfortunate slap to the face.

Hipster Doofus is online now   Reply With Quote