HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames vs Canadiens 7:30 ET Price looking for win 100!

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2011, 07:50 AM
dfk711*
The real #11

vCash: 500
AK with the hatty

5-2 Habs

Old
10-13-2011, 07:53 AM
neofury*

I have a feeling much like last game where people saw doom and gloom cause it was Winnipeg's first game and we won, the same will happen tonight and Calgary will go 0-3.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:04 AM
FrankMTL

Is Moen seriously on the first line? What's JM's obssesion with giving him Top 6 minutes as soon as somebody goes down!!??

Old
10-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Feels like forever since I've seen the Habs play!!

Old
10-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Is Moen seriously on the first line? What's JM's obssesion with giving him Top 6 minutes as soon as somebody goes down!!??
Well seeing as he scored a goal and an assist last game playing with Plekanec, maybe JM wants to stay with that combination while its hot? What a novel concept.... if it aint broke don't fix it.

I assume it will only take a bad period or two for Moen to be switched with Kostitsyn or Eller.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Not sure if he is on the top line or just to maybe start the game, I don't agree with it but if there is a time Travis has deserved this it's tonight after his great game on Sunday

Old
10-13-2011, 08:24 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Well seeing as he scored a goal and an assist last game playing with Plekanec, maybe JM wants to stay with that combination while its hot? What a novel concept.... if it aint broke don't fix it.

I assume it will only take a bad period or two for Moen to be switched with Kostitsyn or Eller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Not sure if he is on the top line or just to maybe start the game, I don't agree with it but if there is a time Travis has deserved this it's tonight after his great game on Sunday
That would explain it..I saw the boxscore but didn't have the chance to watch the game on Sunday, I didn't know he played most of the game with Pleks. Moen frustrates me in the sense that he'll have a great game once in a while, where you see that he has some offensive potential. You stick him on an offensive line and he does nothing for 5 games after that...Hopefully i'm wrong!

Old
10-13-2011, 08:29 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post

Problem is if you put a 4th line plug with a guy like Plekanec who makes those around him better, they're bound to get a 1-2pt game now and then Doesn't mean Moen is suited for a top 6 role.

I'm actually one of the few around here who has supported Moen from day one, continues to and aside from two preseasons where Moen looked like he just didn't care, the guy has been fine in the regular and post season playing above his level and doing anything the coaches ask of him, and yet around here you'd expect that he's totally useless. He isn't totally useless but he shouldn't be on the 1st line he should be on the 3rd or 4th.

Putting him in the top lines here or there just to shake things up during a bad game I can understand if it gets other lines going or the line he's put on, but to actually start games with him penciled into the 1st line...

I understand Cammy is injured but did we not keep Kostitsyn and then acquire Cole to have depth in the top 6?

Old
10-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I understand Cammy is injured but did we not keep Kostitsyn and then acquire Cole to have depth in the top 6?
thank you !

i don't think id mind it so much if we end up rolling ak46-eller-dd , try and build chemistry and what not, but i think this is the perfect time to give kostistyn 1st line time

Old
PricePkPatch

I believe the reason you have Moen on the top 6 has more to do with putting AK back with Eller than anything else. JM wants to see them as a power 3rd line.

Pretty much the reason why Cole was on the 3rd line. JM wanted to give top 6 duty to AK before Eller was back, just to make sure he could rely on him in his line-shuffling.

Old
Bullsmith

Quote:
Problem is if you put a 4th line plug with a guy like Plekanec who makes those around him better, they're bound to get a 1-2pt game now and then Doesn't mean Moen is suited for a top 6 role.

I'm actually one of the few around here who has supported Moen from day one, continues to and aside from two preseasons where Moen looked like he just didn't care, the guy has been fine in the regular and post season playing above his level and doing anything the coaches ask of him, and yet around here you'd expect that he's totally useless. He isn't totally useless but he shouldn't be on the 1st line he should be on the 3rd or 4th.

Putting him in the top lines here or there just to shake things up during a bad game I can understand if it gets other lines going or the line he's put on, but to actually start games with him penciled into the 1st line...

I think it's pretty clear Martin's trying to keep offense on his third line, with the injuries that means at the expense of concentrating it on the top two. Obvisouly Moen's a terrible choice to play top six minutes long term, but in the meantime I totally understanding not wanting to put him with Desharnais. Hopefully Eller or Palushaj play well enough that JM gets enough confidence to rely on them a bit, allowing Moen to drop to his more proper role. If he feels confident playing either of those guys regular minutes on the third line, then he can move someone like AK up to the Pleks line instantly. For the moment though, Moen played a fantastic game and is getting rewarded in practice and to start the next game. The odds of JM NOT shuffling his lines are about zero, so I really think it's early to get too upset about it.

I remember Pat Burns' obsession with playing Brian Skrudland in the final minutes of games we were losing by a goal. Even the best coaches lean too heavily on their defensive vets sometimes. When he's going into his fourth straight game in that role, I'll join the yelling. In the meantime having Moen fill in on a top line is nothing new, while having DD, AK and Eller all available to play on the third line is a reason to be hopeful that line can pick up some of the slack we know Moen's not going to.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:51 AM
PricePkPatch

Have some of you considered that JM hopes to use Darche and Moen as patches when he has a hole in his Top-9 rather than meddling with his 3rd line to fix the top-6?

If you can still compete using 4th line patches in your top 9, isn't it good?

Old
10-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I believe the reason you have Moen on the top 6 has more to do with putting AK back with Eller than anything else. JM wants to see them as a power 3rd line.

Pretty much the reason why Cole was on the 3rd line. JM wanted to give top 6 duty to AK before Eller was back, just to make sure he could rely on him in his line-shuffling.
This makes sense, but as for right now, they are keeping Eller on the 4th line wing.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
This makes sense, but as for right now, they are keeping Eller on the 4th line wing.
Is he trying to ease Eller in? I dont see why JM would put a guy who always looks better at C and seems to be in the plans as a #2 or 3 C at worst on the fourth line wing. Especially since he has good chemistry with AK.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:06 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Is he trying to ease Eller in? I dont see why JM would put a guy who always looks better at C and seems to be in the plans as a #2 or 3 C at worst on the fourth line wing. Especially since he has good chemistry with AK.
I would assume that Eller will play at wing until he gets his timing back and takes a few hits to get comfortable with his shoulder.

It's important to remember that one of Eller's most prominent weaknesses last season was taking faceoffs (42.4%). This is an area he'll have to improve at. It's probably a good idea to shelter him from taking faceoffs until he gets his confidence back in his shoulder, otherwise Martin would most likely be dooming him to a terrible start in the faceoff circle.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:45 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
I would assume that Eller will play at wing until he gets his timing back and takes a few hits to get comfortable with his shoulder.

It's important to remember that one of Eller's most prominent weaknesses last season was taking faceoffs (42.4%). This is an area he'll have to improve at. It's probably a good idea to shelter him from taking faceoffs until he gets his confidence back in his shoulder, otherwise Martin would most likely be dooming him to a terrible start in the faceoff circle.
With a bad shoulder odds he improved that % are slim too. Wouldn't have been able to practice taking draws enough.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:49 AM
HomaridII

For your information friends:

CanadiensMTL Montreal Canadiens
En défensive/D pairings:Gorges - Yemelin, Gill - Weber, Subban - Diaz
3 minutes ago

Trios à l'entraînement/Lines at practice:Cole-Plekanec-Moen,Palushaj-Engqvist-Eller,Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta,Darche-Desharnais-Kostitsyn

Old
10-13-2011, 09:57 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
With a bad shoulder odds he improved that % are slim too. Wouldn't have been able to practice taking draws enough.
Exactly. In the meantime it's easy to set a few minutes aside while the team is on the ice for him to practice faceoffs as well. Seems like a good way to set him up for success rather than failure as he looks to take the next step as a centre.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:03 AM
ClasslessGuy

Gorges and Yemelin

Like!

Old
10-13-2011, 10:09 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I like those D pairings a lot more than the previously mentioned ones. I think Gill-Weber is a great idea and could help Weber along like it did Subban last year.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
For your information friends:

En défensive/D pairings:Gorges - Yemelin, Gill - Weber, Subban - Diaz
3 minutes ago

Trios à l'entraînement/Lines at practice:Cole-Plekanec-Moen,Palushaj-Engqvist-Eller,Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta,Darche-Desharnais-Kostitsyn
Very well balanced lines, I'm sure we will see Kostitsyn a shift or two at the place of Moen maybe after some pk

Old
10-13-2011, 10:12 AM
gillyguzzler

I predict a very good game for the Gomez line - 2 or 3 goals for that line and a 6-3 win for the Habs.

Again, lots of line shuffling and Eller will get stints with AK and DD and look good.

First goal of the year also for PK and AK.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Belso

Go Habs Go!

Old
10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Just hope they are ready to play and don't take it too lightly, Flames had a closed door meeting after Monday's game against the Blues.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Protest the Hero

Cammy would've lit it up this game, he's always at his best in big games.

Closed Thread