HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JM got balls

Old
10-13-2011, 03:49 AM
pachorella

vCash: 500
JM got balls

While some criticized JM for not giving a lot of ice time for Cole in the first game. We will never the reason maybe Cole wasn't the fittest. But my guess is that JM have balls and he wanted to introduce Cole to his strict management. Not a lot of coach in the NHL has the balls to put a vet like Cole in his first game in a new team on the 3rd line( no special team time). For me, its telling Cole am the boss here, and telling the remaining of the vets on this team in the long term, everyone can play anywhere. So if one day gomez wants to get demoted to 3rd line, for DD or eller going to 2nd line, gomez wont cause any problems for his diminished ice time or any vet.

pachorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:08 AM
HabsDood

Naaa he's just dumb..

HabsDood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Well, he does have a low voice. But let's not get carried away here.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:40 AM
LyleOdelein

I doubt it was some kind of power-trip move. Odds are Martin was hoping to get AKost rolling early and possibly spread out the scoring if Cole and Desharnais worked well together. He probably also clearly explained his reasoning to Cole to make sure they were on the same page.

People are definitely overestimating the significance of starting Cole on the third line. It lasted for less than 2 of the 6 periods the Habs have played this year.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:48 AM
neofury*

I know, it's like what I would totally do to Ovie if he became a hab, make him feel unwanted and that I am boss!

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I know, it's like what I would totally do to Ovie if he became a hab, make him feel unwanted and that I am boss!
Yup, no hot water for you, Ovie.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Beakermania*

Or maybe Cole doesn't get PP time, because Montreal has had a good PP for a few years now and Cole has never really produced a lot on the PP.

3 goals on the PP last year.

Cole was brought in to address a weakness in Even Strength scoring.... not to score on the PP (which will be fine, especially once Markov returns).

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:15 AM
gillyguzzler

Well, you know, Cole isn't quite in the Desharnais or Darche talent level. They deserve the PP time. Cole and the other skill players can sit because JM has balls. And when the team is losing in the final minute of a game, sit your skill players and line up the awesome offense of Josh Gorges as a forward and the physical presence of Desharnais while your skill players sit on the bench. Why? To show them that you got balls.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Oh, sure, the Caps went all the way to the championship when Boudreau allowed him to do whatever he pleased. Coaches have their methods. Are you old enough to remember when Jacques Lemaire put the reins on his old linemate, Guy Lafleur? Was Lemaire stupid? Certainly not, considering the success he's had in his coaching career. Martin happens to like having Cole but his first consideration is the team.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:28 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Yes Martin, Moen deserves to be on the first line much more than that bum Cole !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Bullsmith

Cole not being on the PP is really the least of our worries. He just signed a four year contract, he doesn't need to worry about padding his stats this season.

Honestly, the panic in this town over who's playing where. OMG MOEN PRACTICED WITH PLEKANEC!!!!!

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:41 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Cole not being on the PP is really the least of our worries. He just signed a four year contract, he doesn't need to worry about padding his stats this season.

Honestly, the panic in this town over who's playing where. OMG MOEN PRACTICED WITH PLEKANEC!!!!!
OMG MOEN WILL PLAY WITH PLEKANEC !!!! Now it's time to panic.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Jigger77

Probably one of the most underrated coaches in the league.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Its pretty simple, as some have mentioned, it was just to give A.Kost a chance to start the season with some confidence, but it took one game for AK to find himself off that line, and as we saw, JM quickly put Cole with Cammy and Pleck in game 2.

I think A.Kost game will pick up if they actually form a line of DD-Eller-AK, both other guys are smart defensively and can pass, hopeful that plans out.

In regards to Cole on the PP, he is horrible, as Commandant mentioned, he had only 3 or 4 out of his 26 goals last year. He was brought in for his size and even strength play.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Yes Martin, Moen deserves to be on the first line much more than that bum Cole !
You are aware that Moen played in Cammalleri's spot with Plekanec AND Cole, right?

Old
10-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post

Extremely annoying. Agreed.

I really wish people had more faith in the guy who, you know, has coached over 1000 games in the NHL.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:08 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
You are aware that Moen played in Cammalleri's spot with Plekanec AND Cole, right?
Nope, i was in Atlantic city since last Thursday. But if i remember right, he was the fill in on the first line last year. And well he isnt first line material.

And to the guy who said JM is underated, please fill me in on what he accomplished in the NHL ? And i am not trying to start a pissing match with you, i am just curious, for a coach who has been around so long. He hasn't accomplished anything.

And to quote you over 1000 games

Old
10-13-2011, 09:10 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
The reasosn why he put Cole on the third line was explained before: pit AK in the top 6 and spread the love offensively. It didn't work, so he switched AK and Cole. It's that ****ing simple, no conspiracy, nobody in any doghouses...
Cole getting less ice time can simply be explained by moving him in the system, slowly

Also, I'd trust this guy over any of you maniac any day of the week.

Quote:
Nope, i was in Atlantic city since last Thursday. But if i remember right, he was the fill in on the first line last year. And well he isnt first line material.

And to the guy who said JM is underated, please fill me in on what he accomplished in the NHL ? And i am not trying to start a pissing match with you, i am just curious, for a coach who has been around so long. He hasn't accomplished anything.

And to quote you over 1000 games
easy:

Brought us to the playoffs two years in a row, beat the first and second seed. Without markov, gorges, patches.

Need I say more?

Edit: look at our roster the last two years. I'd bet my lawnmower that if you would switch Martin with, say, Wilson in Toronto, they'd be in the playoffs and we wouldn't.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Jigger77

Quote:

There are only 9 NHL coaches who have reached 600 wins in the NHL and you say he hasn't accomplished anything. Do you know how rediculous that makes you sound? Talk to me about what you like and dislike about him, but don't tell me he hasn't accomplished anything when the guy has stayed in one of the most difficult jobs to keep in the world for almost 30 years. Until then, there is zero point in talking to you about JM. You have your mind made up. Lynch mob him out of town with the rest of your armchair coach/gm friends for all I care.

And like MasterDecoy alluded to it's like people forget how good this team is in the playoffs since he took over.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:22 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
There are only 9 NHL coaches who have reached 600 wins in the NHL and you say he hasn't accomplished anything. Do you know how rediculous that makes you sound? Talk to me about what you like and dislike about him, but don't tell me he hasn't accomplished anything when the guy has stayed in one of the most difficult jobs to keep in the world for almost 30 years. Until then, there is zero point in talking to you about JM. You have your mind made up. Lynch mob him out of town with the rest of your armchair coach/gm friends for all I care.
Wow,having a conversation with you guys is like pissing in your cornflakes.
Heaven forbid someone has a different opinion than your's about a coach who had a stacked Ottawa team and got nothing, and yay he got us in the playoffs two years in a row !! Satisfied with very little i see. He has coached 1000 games in the NHL, grats to JM. Still not my tyoe of coach. And as for the armchair remark, you would be actually quite surprised to know what i do in life.

Agree to disagree.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:23 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
That explains a lot. For your reference, here's a list of Habs forwards who have seen more ice time than Moen this season:

Plekanec
Gionta
Gomez
Desharnais
Pacioretty
Cole
Kostitsyn
Darche
Cammalleri (in 3.5 periods)

That is with Moen playing almost 20% of his total ice time short-handed.

As for last year... The top 6 (Pleks, Cammy, AKost, Gomez, Gio and MaxPac) all averaged much more even strength time per game than Moen. His ES ice-time per game was pretty much on par with Eller and Pouliot (other bottom 6 guys last year).

There are short spurts where Moen will get bumped up to the top 6, for one reason or another. However, history shows that these times don't last long and it all evens up over time as Moen's ice time ends up perfectly reflecting his role of a bottom 6 winger who spends a lot of time on the PK.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Wow,having a conversation with you guys is like pissing in your cornflakes.
Heaven forbid someone has a different opinion than your's about a coach who had a stacked Ottawa team and got nothing, and yay he got us in the playoffs two years in a row !! Satisfied with very little i see. He has coached 1000 games in the NHL, grats to JM. Still not my tyoe of coach. And as for the armchair remark, you would be actually quite surprised to know what i do in life.

Agree to disagree.
I have zero issues with someone who has a different opinion and brings up points about why he likes or dislikes a player, coach etc. But when you make blanket statements like "he has accomplished nothing" it's kind of hard to engage in any kind of meaningful debate. You don't like his approach, system, certain decisions etc that's one thing. Saying a guy who's been coaching for well over two decades in the strongest hockey league in the world has accomplished nothing is another. Most coaches don't last 3 years.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:29 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Oh, sure, the Caps went all the way to the championship when Boudreau allowed him to do whatever he pleased. Coaches have their methods. Are you old enough to remember when Jacques Lemaire put the reins on his old linemate, Guy Lafleur? Was Lemaire stupid? Certainly not, considering the success he's had in his coaching career. Martin happens to like having Cole but his first consideration is the team.
And the players will respect that. Hockey is a team game, it's in the blood of the sport.

I've said it before, they asked Cole to play a role on the third line, and he did it. I have no worries re Cole, or JM's handling of him. Cole is long term, and he will help where he is asked.

JM asked him to do this , and he did it. I can design an office building, but if my boss asks me to do some **** work for a bit, I do it. It's called being a pro.

I am really happy to see Cole on the team, because he will do the **** work some times, knowing he is helping the team. He's a pro, with no ego concerns. We need him. Still really happy about his signing.

So everyone chillax.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
That explains a lot. For your reference, here's a list of Habs forwards who have seen more ice time than Moen this season:

Plekanec
Gionta
Gomez
Desharnais
Pacioretty
Cole
Kostitsyn
Darche
Cammalleri (in 3.5 periods)

That is with Moen playing almost 20% of his total ice time short-handed.

As for last year... The top 6 (Pleks, Cammy, AKost, Gomez, Gio and MaxPac) all averaged much more even strength time per game than Moen. His ES ice-time per game was pretty much on par with Eller and Pouliot (other bottom 6 guys last year).

There are short spurts where Moen will get bumped up to the top 6, for one reason or another. However, history shows that these times don't last long and it all evens up over time as Moen's ice time ends up perfectly reflecting his role of a bottom 6 winger who spends a lot of time on the PK.
Hey hey hey! Your facts are getting in the way of my opinions!

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Habs 1909

Talk about making assumptions...He's put on the 3rd line and now there's an entire story behind it. Ever consider that the team just wants balance on the 3 lines which JM has expressly stated?

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote