HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Prospal

Old
10-13-2011, 09:28 AM
ilovemarkmessier

vCash: 500
Vinny Prospal

My first thread ever so bear with me. I just cant understand why we let this guy go. How good would Prospal be on leftwing with Gaborik and Richards right now? Also would have kept our Wolfpack line together. Not to mention how well Prospal played with both Gaborik in N.Y. and Richards in Tampa. Not to mention I know its early in the year but the guys leading the Bluejackets in scoring. But we keep Wolski and Avery instead. Do we really wanna a win a cup or no? Cmon Sather you dropped the ball on Prospal.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:35 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
My first thread ever so bear with me. I just cant understand why we let this guy go. How good would Prospal be on leftwing with Gaborik and Richards right now? Also would have kept our Wolfpack line together. Not to mention how well Prospal played with both Gaborik in N.Y. and Richards in Tampa. Not to mention I know its early in the year but the guys leading the Bluejackets in scoring. But we keep Wolski and Avery instead. Do we really wanna a win a cup or no? Cmon Sather you dropped the ball on Prospal.

it was just time to move on. he was getting older an his body is breaking down. he may be leading the BJ's in scoring, but i bet he misses alot of games as the season wears on. he DID have chemistry with BR and MG, but the powers that be wanted to move the team in a younger direction. i loved Vinny while he was here, but even i wasnt sad to see him go.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:36 AM
bmw2004

Welome!!! Agree 100%. Another blew by Sather.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:37 AM
mullichicken25

first, welcome to this nut house we call a forum

second, with the amount of youth this team has it bascially came down to Feds vs Vinny. Torts loves feds and see's him as more versitile.

third, even if prospal plays good this season, the laws of physics are working against him at this point and he cant have much left if the tank. Richards and Gaborik are looking to be our 1 & 2 for the next 5 years or so..im sure the team was looking to round out that line with someone who could potentially come along for the ride for the forseable future. Hense Dubi, WW, Stepan, Boyle all getting looks at that spot

here's your quick answer: they're thinking beyond just this season

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
first, welcome to this nut house we call a forum

second, with the amount of youth this team has it bascially came down to Feds vs Vinny. Torts loves feds and see's him as more versitile.

third, even if prospal plays good this season, the laws of physics are working against him at this point and he cant have much left if the tank. Richards and Gaborik are looking to be our 1 & 2 for the next 5 years or so..im sure the team was looking to round out that line with someone who could potentially come along for the ride for the forseable future. Hense Dubi, WW, Stepan, Boyle all getting looks at that spot

here's your quick answer: they're thinking beyond just this season
They're all getting looks, but none seem to be pleasing the head coach in terms of actually working.

Im all for the youth, but this was a mistake as far as Im concerned. Prospal has shown the most chemistry with Gaborik, by far, over the past 2 seasons. He could have been had for pretty cheap - if he breaks down or if ineffective, you're just back to where we are today.

There was no downside to keeping Vinny.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Barnaby

Prospal should have been retained. He may not have been on the wing next to Richards and Gabby, but he would have been a capable player on this team.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:56 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
They're all getting looks, but none seem to be pleasing the head coach in terms of actually working.

Im all for the youth, but this was a mistake as far as Im concerned. Prospal has shown the most chemistry with Gaborik, by far, over the past 2 seasons. He could have been had for pretty cheap - if he breaks down or if ineffective, you're just back to where we are today.

There was no downside to keeping Vinny.
i disagree...the bolded is the downside when you take time into consideration

i wouldnt prospal to have a so-so year, then assume one of our guys can fill the role next year, only to find out they cant midway through the 2012-2013 season

if Dubi, WW, Stepan, Boyle ect. really aren't going to cut it for that wing spot I want to find out sonner than later

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Prospal should have been retained. He may not have been on the wing next to Richards and Gabby, but he would have been a capable player on this team.
The ONLY reason to retain him would have been if he was on that line. Anywhere below that and Fedotenko was the better choice.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:33 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Its not like he's winning games for them or anything. It's not like he's helping their powerplay at all.
We've only played two games so far. We all know that Vinny starts out hot and then slows down. I love that guy. Just as much as everyone else on this forum. But it was time to move on because he's still an older player who is an injury risk. The rangers I'm sure are intimately aware of Vinny's medical history - they dealt with it for the majority of last season.
This kind of thread is what I like to call the "HF Boards Jump-To-Conclusions mat Special"

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

If the season were 6 games long, I'd be upset about not retaining Prospal, but until we see this team get some more games (and practices for that matter) under their belts, I think clamoring for Prospal is silly.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I'd keep Vinny over Lawlski and EC. That's for sure.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Welcome. You bring up a volid point. Because, honestly he may not have been a bad stopgap until Krieder is ready.

The only problem is he played so few games last year due to his knee & he's on the wrong side of 35. It's not ridiculous to think that having Vinnie sustain a season/career ending injury wasn't out of the question. If he came in a played great but then went down we'd be boned. If he came in and sucked or was injured we'd all be wondering why we signed a guy who doesn't fit the mold of this young team just to wear a suit.

It was a judgement call. Hindsight is 20/20 but it's a valid point. Of course in two months (or better yet, in April) if Prospal is injured or cools off and WW starts lighting it up with BR/Gabby then NYR look like geniuses (there's a first time for everything lol).

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:05 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
I'd keep Vinny over Lawlski and EC. That's for sure.
My position this offseason was that it was less of a gamble to hope Prospal was healthy than to hope Wolski could perform in our system. And that Wolski should have been moved, and Prospal re-signed. When It was clear Vinny wasn't coming back, I was okay with giving Wolski his chance. But he was far from the first choice...would have MUCH rather had Vinny.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i disagree...the bolded is the downside when you take time into consideration

i wouldnt prospal to have a so-so year, then assume one of our guys can fill the role next year, only to find out they cant midway through the 2012-2013 season

if Dubi, WW, Stepan, Boyle ect. really aren't going to cut it for that wing spot I want to find out sonner than later
In your heart of hearts, do you really think any of these guys can handle it? Dubinsky can, but Torts and the fanbase have a hard-on for the pack line, so that seems to be getting scrapped already.

Wolski is a dog, Boyle doesnt have the offensive chops to consistently do the job, and ripping a 21 year old Stepan from his natural center position for this experiment is probably the worst move of all.

This situation highlights the lack of high-end talent within the organization that can handle this type of assignment. Is Prospal the perfect solution? Nope, FAR from it - but his history with Gaborik suggests he'd have done a better job than anyone else not named Dubinsky.

The Rangers will be going hard after a high scoring LW at the deadline or in free agency next year. This is not something thats going to be settled from within.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Vinny was great as a Ranger.... I can see why one might start this thread but we've only played TWO games.

Injuries have obviously been a BIG issue. Last season they were questioning weather he could even play anymore. Not his heart, just the body.

Will he play 1/2 a season? It was a disruption to the gameplan. Will he play? Won't he play?

10-13-2011, 11:12 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If the season were 6 games long
..... maybe Vinny plays 1/2 the season

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:36 AM
bernmeister

Let him go cause of bad knees, aging wheels.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Let him go cause of bad knees, aging wheels.
and they just dumped Avery because of too many Forwards on the roster. Love Vinny but its the right move to go younger.

I would take him as a rental at the deadline of course. I am sure that will be a rumour.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
and they just dumped Avery because of too many Forwards on the roster. Love Vinny but its the right move to go younger.

I would take him as a rental at the deadline of course. I am sure that will be a rumour.
Didn't we just establish that we're the fourth-youngest team in the league? How young do we need to be?

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Prospal is doing great right now in Columbus, but by the end of the season I think that we will be singing a different tune. I loved Vinny while he was here and would have loved to keep him, but it was simply time to move on. He is injury prone and his body is breaking down.

He can not stand up to the grueling NHL schedual anymore. There is no doubt that he is very talented, and he did come up big for us down the stretch last year, but I can not see him being able to stay healthy for a full season anymore. His knees are shot, and he is on the decline. Sure he has been good for CBJ during the first couple of games, but come midseason, I do not see him being as effective. I hope that he proves me wrong because he is a great player and an awesome person.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:18 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I wasn't all that concerned about Prospal's knee...it's not as if he's had 8 surgeries on it. The surgery he had was major, but he held up fine when he came back and even came back earlier than expected (many thought he was done for the year).

To me, not signing Prospal was our biggest mistake this off-season. I'm sure Prospal wasn't demanding as much as he got from Columbus, and I would venture to say if it came down to re-signing Prospal and maybe not signing Mike Rupp or buying out Wolski that the choice was simple...

Prospal is playing great with Carter and Nash, while it's a small sample size, that line is instantly on fire. That doesn't happen too often, exhibit A is Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik, arguably just as much talent together.

Prospal already had great chemistry with Gaborik...I have little doubt they would've clicked.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

I haven't given up on Wolski just yet. Once his groin is 100% he should get better. He is in his contract year and that has seemed to motivate him in the past...

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I advocated retaining Prospal during the off-season, so that he could full out the LW spot on the top line, allowing them to keep the Pack line together and give us a more complete top 6....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:21 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Put me in the "bad move not to resign Vinny" camp.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

I almost cried when we let him go. He was probably our best guy in the playoffs. And he was extremely passionate, and feisty.

Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote