HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators claim Brian McGrattan from ANA, Waive Stortini

Old
10-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I realize the shock, but Stortini cleared BTW.
Im glad he cleared. You can never have enough depth.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:34 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I realize the shock, but Stortini cleared BTW.
and he is on a two way deal right?

anyone know if the minor league part of his deal is low enough that in the event we called him back up he would be exempt from re-entry waivers?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:16 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
and he is on a two way deal right?

anyone know if the minor league part of his deal is low enough that in the event we called him back up he would be exempt from re-entry waivers?
He makes $75k in the AHL.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:38 PM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Enforcers like McGrattan fight other enforcers. We can look forward to McGrattan v Parros ... McGrattan v Reeves .... McGrattan v Shelley ... other than than that we can expect McGrattan v pressbox seat.

He doesn't bring grit or toughness, he brings a sideshow when we play other teams with a goon. Once the guys start standing up for each other we'll have some toughness ... adding McGrattan does nothing for overall toughness.
When goons fight other teams goons in response to a cheap shot delivered by a different player earlier in the game or in a previous game they are still making the opposing team accountable for their cheap shot. For example if Backes delivers a cheap hit to a Preds player then later on Mcgrattan pumps Reaves in a fight, guys in the Blues locker room won't be to pleased that Reaves had to take a beating for Backes cheap shot and Backes will think twice before he delivers another cheap shot to a predator player in the future.

McGrattan isn't as terrible as he used to be, his skating has improved a ton since his days with the Sens and hes one of the top fighters in the game.

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:54 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
When goons fight other teams goons in response to a cheap shot delivered by a different player earlier in the game or in a previous game they are still making the opposing team accountable for their cheap shot. For example if Backes delivers a cheap hit to a Preds player then later on Mcgrattan pumps Reaves in a fight, guys in the Blues locker room won't be to pleased that Reaves had to take a beating for Backes cheap shot and Backes will think twice before he delivers another cheap shot to a predator player in the future.

McGrattan isn't as terrible as he used to be, his skating has improved a ton since his days with the Sens and hes one of the top fighters in the game.
We'll have to agree to disagree here. If your theory held up, the enforcer wouldn't be such a rare thing on NHL rosters any more.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:42 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Trotz was praising McGratton this morning on the air. He said a "source" tells him he impressed in Anaheim's camp. He also said our teams needs a guy like this. This way our players won't be afraid to play a little more physical becuase McGratton will be there to back them up if any issues arise. Sounds ok to me.

kypredsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 06:44 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Trotz was praising McGratton this morning on the air. He said a "source" tells him he impressed in Anaheim's camp. He also said our teams needs a guy like this. This way our players won't be afraid to play a little more physical becuase McGratton will be there to back them up if any issues arise. Sounds ok to me.
This is good news. I love the epiphany Tootoo has had as a player since he's been back from rehab but the first two games, I don't recall seeing him lay a hit on anyone. That's part of what makes him effective. I know he's playing a system but other teams need to be afraid he may lay a check on them. If bringing in McGrattan allows this to happen, then I'm all for it. Not just for Tootoo but for the rest of the team. It was one of the things I think we lacked in the first two games.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree here. If your theory held up, the enforcer wouldn't be such a rare thing on NHL rosters any more.
Not just fans theory, this position has been held by too many NHL players/coaches to cite them all.

The fall of the enforcer is due more to league rules making it more difficult for the role to exist, than the lack of need. And by that I mean, tougher penalties such as instigator, and increasing fines and suspensions. Then throw the salary cap in, and teams may not feel like a "goon" is a good use of limited cap space. But if you asked, i'm sure 90% of players, coaches and GM's would want one on their bench.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Quotes from the paper: "...And hes really gotten himself, according to sources, to where he has a chance to be a contributing player for us...I think hes gotten to the next level of his career..."

Whether you agree or disagree with getting McGrattan and whatever your viewpoint on the enforcer role, I think you have to agree that this is one of the all-time great Trotzian Minister of Disinformation statements.

Memo to Trotz: self edit!!!

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:44 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
great Trotzian Minister of Disinformation statements.
Hahahaha. He is a master minister of disinformation to be sure. Could've been a helluva politician.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:47 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Not just fans theory, this position has been held by too many NHL players/coaches to cite them all.

The fall of the enforcer is due more to league rules making it more difficult for the role to exist, than the lack of need. And by that I mean, tougher penalties such as instigator, and increasing fines and suspensions. Then throw the salary cap in, and teams may not feel like a "goon" is a good use of limited cap space. But if you asked, i'm sure 90% of players, coaches and GM's would want one on their bench.
90%? A bit much even during the days of the enforcer. The role is on its way to becoming as much of anachronism as the straight blade wooden stick, horsehair goalie pads, and rinks without glass. There was a time when players actually stood up for themselves and their linemates, now we have the goons who only fight other goons in sideshow attractions. It's one of the very things Belak spoke about causing him sleepless nights ... knowing that when a team with an enforcer on the roster plays another team with an active enforcer there is going to be a fight between them. It isn't based on events in the game, it's an expectation.

By all means ... leave fighting in the game but eliminate the staged fights. If things get out of hand on the ice, players need to step up and handle it.

It's such a wanted role that Godard and Stortini made it through waivers to the AHL. McGrattan spent all of last season in the A.

We just signed a 15 game or so guy who will average about as much time in the box as on the ice in the games he does play. Every game that he dresses for means we're essentially playing a man down that game. This isn't Hordi who could at least hold his own as a 4th liner and play regular minutes ... this isn't Laraque in his prime who could fight and score ... it's McGrattan of the 182 games played since the lockout.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
We just signed a 15 game or so guy who will average about as much time in the box as on the ice in the games he does play. Every game that he dresses for means we're essentially playing a man down that game. This isn't Hordi who could at least hold his own as a 4th liner and play regular minutes ... this isn't Laraque in his prime who could fight and score ... it's McGrattan of the 182 games played since the lockout.
Don't forget that inevitable point in the season when McGrattan will be the only extra player the Preds are carrying, and through illness or injury he'll get a handful of spot starts. Because the Preds don't typically have extra players on the Nashville roster, the Preds will be boxing themselves in and forced to play McG even when he shouldn't be out there. Kind of like when Belak dressed for Detroit once last year because of injuries and then didn't play a shift.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Quotes from the paper: "...And hes really gotten himself, according to sources, to where he has a chance to be a contributing player for us...I think hes gotten to the next level of his career..."
He and Nick "Top 6" Spailing have Rocket Richard futures ahead of them

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:05 PM
moog35

How has McGrattan looked so far? I'm hoping he surprises people and proves that he can be a serviceable 4th liner who's more than just a goon

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
How has McGrattan looked so far? I'm hoping he surprises people and proves that he can be a serviceable 4th liner who's more than just a goon
He's played almost every game since being picked up, had one epic fight with Cam Janssen and one surprisingly nice assist. better than the average enforcer for sure, he'll continue to split time with Bergfors.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:43 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

meh. bumped if anyone wants to reread initial thoughts. I do like that a guy we have pre-concieved notions about can do a 180.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Also, on this note the Ducks put Matt Beleskey on waivers. That name reminds me of the playoffs last year, and remembering that series is always a joyous thought.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote