HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Chris Kunitz hopes for long-term stay with Pens

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
I can see Doan still being able to easily demand at least 5 million a season though. He's a 60 point player on a weak Coyotes team, so just imagine the kind of numbers he can produce on a team with a quality cast around him.
Yeah. Just look at what Ponikarovsky has done since he got out of Toronto.

Doan is 35. Great player and all (I've been a fan since he was first drafted by the Jets...watched him play live when he was a teen), but a) he loves the Yotes and will almost certainly re-sign, b) he's a physical guy with 3 more years wear-and-tear than Kunitz, and c) he's going to be signing for significantly more than Kunitz...probably 1-1.5 mil more a season.

Old
10-10-2011, 07:47 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Yeah. Just look at what Ponikarovsky has done since he got out of Toronto.

Doan is 35. Great player and all (I've been a fan since he was first drafted by the Jets...watched him play live when he was a teen), but a) he loves the Yotes and will almost certainly re-sign, b) he's a physical guy with 3 more years wear-and-tear than Kunitz, and c) he's going to be signing for significantly more than Kunitz...probably 1-1.5 mil more a season.
He's been an 82 game a year player though. Kunitz has not. Not sure the age argument applies here.

I agree that he'll probably re-sign with the Yotes, but what if they are going to QC?

Old
10-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
He's been an 82 game a year player though. Kunitz has not. Not sure the age argument applies here.

I agree that he'll probably re-sign with the Yotes, but what if they are going to QC?
GP doesn't worry me as much as inevitable decline in the late 30s (not to mention the contract restrictions). Especially since I can't see Doan signing a short-term deal.

Old
10-10-2011, 08:24 PM
JTG

Quote:
GP doesn't worry me as much as inevitable decline in the late 30s (not to mention the contract restrictions). Especially since I can't see Doan signing a short-term deal.
You also don't know his motivations. He hasn't won a Cup. If he's motivated to win a Cup (or even have a shot at multiple Cups) to wind down his career, I'd stick my neck out there and say that he'd sign a shorter term deal.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:23 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And I could see Kunitz asking for something in the mid-4.0's

If we could get Kunitz at a salary that starts with a 3...you have to re-sign him.
That's kinda my attitude.

I believe that EVERY time we have thought Shero was going to re-sign one of our players, they ended up signing for less than expected (Cooke, Dupuis, Orpik, etc).

I don't expect this trend to change with Kunitz, otherwise he will not be retained, IMO. If he really wants to stay here he'll take less than what he could get on the open market.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
You also don't know his motivations. He hasn't won a Cup. If he's motivated to win a Cup (or even have a shot at multiple Cups) to wind down his career, I'd stick my neck out there and say that he'd sign a shorter term deal.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...de-rumors.html

If the Coyotes end up moving, all bets are off. Still, I don't see Doan being a big enough improvement over Kunitz, especially given his age, to warrant how much more he'll likely be getting on his next deal.

Old
10-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Jag68Sid87

Kunitz is only appealing if he signs in the $4 million-and-under/year range, imo. Otherwise, we should look more towards need...which is a natural RW.

Lots can happen over the course of the season but those 3 RW targets should be monitored imo. All three would look great next to Sid or Geno, whether Neal sticks on RW or not.

Old
10-11-2011, 10:11 AM
mpp9

Quote:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...de-rumors.html

If the Coyotes end up moving, all bets are off. Still, I don't see Doan being a big enough improvement over Kunitz, especially given his age, to warrant how much more he'll likely be getting on his next deal.
Having Neal and Doan flanking our top centers would be great to see. I don't think Doan (especially being a few years older) would produce much more than Kunitz in the regular season, but he turns into a beast in the playoffs and has a wicked one timer as a RHS we could use on the PP.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Kunitz resigned two more years. Same cap-hit I believe.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Closed Thread