HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Couturier and Read

Old
10-13-2011, 11:01 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Sean Couturier likely staying and moving in with Danny Briere
Quote:
I asked Couturier if he's going to charge Briere babysitting fees. He laughed and said he plans to "do his thing."
-RandyJMiller

Best quote though

Quote:
Danny Briere is one Flyers rookie away from being on To Catch a Predator.
-FlyGoalScoredBy

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:03 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
-RandyJMiller

Best quote though

-FlyGoalScoredBy
Lol @ the to catch a predator line. Classic.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
-RandyJMiller

Best quote though

-FlyGoalScoredBy
Lol. Is Giroux still living there as well, or did he move out?

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:11 AM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I've been researching the past couple of weeks and it seems like there is a good amount of available jobs out there.. I'm not content to just stay in Philly, I would go anywhere I could get a job that interest me. I would love to work for a newspaper if the opportunity would arise. I also wouldn't have much student Loans since i have gone to a community college and paid cash for all my courses. It's something I have always been interested in and feel its what I would like to do for a living
Don't do it. Seriously. If I could go back 15 years and stop younger me from doing it, I would do 11 times out of 10. It's a terrible future-less career that you'll have to abandon at some point in time.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:39 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I've been researching the past couple of weeks and it seems like there is a good amount of available jobs out there.. I'm not content to just stay in Philly, I would go anywhere I could get a job that interest me. I would love to work for a newspaper if the opportunity would arise. I also wouldn't have much student Loans since i have gone to a community college and paid cash for all my courses. It's something I have always been interested in and feel its what I would like to do for a living
Well best of luck to you. The salaries are low and getting lower and newspapers aren't really on the most stable footing. The job I had out of college was like $24k a year and no benefits. It was really a great job, and I did love it, but there is not much room for salary increases. Like I said, if you have savings or a low cost of living, then rock and roll (I would have loved to). But if you plan on moving out of your parents house, you'll need a second job. Not trying to be a dick, and I very well could be wrong, but that was my experience and I wish I knew that going into it.

Old
10-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Briere is practically running a Flyers barrack at this point.

10-13-2011, 11:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Briere is practically running a Flyers barrack at this point.
Danny Briere is the new Miss McGill?

Old
10-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Chris Shafer where did you get your degree from??? I've been thinking about changing my major to journalism... was wondering where you went?
I'm sure writing for HockeysFuture.com is a dream job.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:00 PM
FlyersCup08

So who all is living with Briere right now?

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:08 PM
sakicisgod

I think the third line is the best place for Couturier to develop, if it's 4th line duty, I'd rather see him back in the Q. There is a huge difference between 3rd and 4th line expectations and TOI. I wouldn't burn a year off an ELC for Couturier to be a teams 4th line center over some other defensive forward. Sure, he MIGHT be better at it, but by how much? It's not worth it.

sakicisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
tymed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStache View Post
I think the third line is the best place for Couturier to develop, if it's 4th line duty, I'd rather see him back in the Q. There is a huge difference between 3rd and 4th line expectations and TOI. I wouldn't burn a year off an ELC for Couturier to be a teams 4th line center over some other defensive forward. Sure, he MIGHT be better at it, but by how much? It's not worth it.
I still agree with this.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
3rd line would be best for Couturier to develop, but I'm most concerned with leaving him on an island and having no recourse in the way of another shutdown center.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:25 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Lol @ the to catch a predator line. Classic.
What we need is a little Jules magic, please.

• Change "DADDY" to "DANNY"
  • Brière's face in place of Eddie Murphy's
  • Faces of Giroux, Couturier, heck put in Voracek, Read and Rinaldo (in the Flash costume) in place of the kids' faces.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:27 PM
phlocky

I thought Couts played really well last night overall but my god, it looks like he had lead weights on his ankles when he skated. LOL, I kept thinking to myself "Pick up your feet and take more than one stride every 3 seconds!!!" He does have a very long stride and he is fast than he looks but jeez he looks like he skates in slow motion.

Anyways, I think it's safe to say that right now there is no plan to send him back. IF something happens later in the season they may end up sending ihm back like they did Sbisa but right now he looks to be staying (hence the reason for freeing up that contract spot, thanks Hexty for helping out on that one).

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:30 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel
Don't do it. Seriously. If I could go back 15 years and stop younger me from doing it, I would do 11 times out of 10. It's a terrible future-less career that you'll have to abandon at some point in time.
Quote:
Well best of luck to you. The salaries are low and getting lower and newspapers aren't really on the most stable footing. The job I had out of college was like $24k a year and no benefits. It was really a great job, and I did love it, but there is not much room for salary increases. Like I said, if you have savings or a low cost of living, then rock and roll (I would have loved to). But if you plan on moving out of your parents house, you'll need a second job. Not trying to be a dick, and I very well could be wrong, but that was my experience and I wish I knew that going into it.
Pure journalism is on the downswing, but a BJ degree – that acronym was the source of a lot of hilarity 20 years ago when I was in university – does have some versatility if you look outside of the traditional journalism outlets. Most big companies need communications personnel, and my degree got me into a medical publishing company and have been in this industry for the past 2 decades.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Yes i saw that jobs start out low and I wouldn't mind taking two jobs to support myself living on my own at all. I've done it already to pay for college already its not that big of a deal. From what i'm seeing most start at like 25-30k a year but they all have benefits and 401k plans. I appreciate you and the other people's advice on here but im pretty sure it's what i wanna do. Meteorology was my old major and I just got feed up with science...i've been debating changing for a while now and finally it all came to point a couple of weeks ago. I feel like I can make a name for myself!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:40 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Pure journalism is on the downswing, but a BJ degree – that acronym was the source of a lot of hilarity 20 years ago when I was in university – does have some versatility if you look outside of the traditional journalism outlets. Most big companies need communications personnel, and my degree got me into a medical publishing company and have been in this industry for the past 2 decades.
That may have been true 20 years ago, but I don't think it is so much right now. I went to a pretty well respected undergrad school with good grades, wrote for the school's paper, wrote for an independent sports magazine, and interned at MSG for the Knicks and Rangers. Couldn't get an interview anywhere but journalism related places and most of those offered a pittance as a salary (and believe me, I looked). Maybe that is just my experience.

I do have a friend with a master's in journalism and he has written for the NYT, ESPN, WSJ, and many others. So maybe the master's is key?

Old
10-13-2011, 12:43 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Yes i saw that jobs start out low and I wouldn't mind taking two jobs to support myself living on my own at all. I've done it already to pay for college already its not that big of a deal. From what i'm seeing most start at like 25-30k a year but they all have benefits and 401k plans. I appreciate you and the other people's advice on here but im pretty sure it's what i wanna do. Meteorology was my old major and I just got feed up with science...i've been debating changing for a while now and finally it all came to point a couple of weeks ago. I feel like I can make a name for myself!
I know nothing about the industry but....

What about majoring in something a little "safer" while perhaps minoring (or dual majoring) in journalism? Dual major really isn't that difficult, I wish I had done it in school, but it just sounds scary when really it isn't. Replace a couple electives with "real" classes and boom you have 2 majors.

You could also start your own blog and write for that while you have your other career, and ideally turn your writing into your career. Journalists hate bloggers because their career is dying while bloggers are stealing readers. Why not hop on the bandwagon?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:43 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I know I don't know you, but if you are able to get a degree in a science field, do it. You can be a journalist without a journalism degree. You can't be a scientist without a science degree. If you are switching from English to journalism, go for it because it is all the same. But you may wind up regretting this down the road when you are making $25k a year with no benefits for the first five years of your career, then not too much more after that. Journalism salaries, unless you are writing for a top outlet, probably top out around $60k. You won't have a normal schedule. You likely won't have benefits, at least not at first. And like I said, you can be a journalist without the degree.

Old
10-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I know nothing about the industry but....

What about majoring in something a little "safer" while perhaps minoring (or dual majoring) in journalism? Dual major really isn't that difficult, I wish I had done it in school, but it just sounds scary when really it isn't. Replace a couple electives with "real" classes and boom you have 2 majors.

You could also start your own blog and write for that while you have your other career, and ideally turn your writing into your career. Journalists hate bloggers because their career is dying while bloggers are stealing readers. Why not hop on the bandwagon?
This actually isnt a bad idea... My sister and I are close and she is the one who i have been discussing this with the most. She told me I should try to do maybe Journalism and try to become a sports statistician. I am fairly decent with mathematics, but i'm leaving the school I attend right now because I literally can't stand it. I'm gonna transfer to Temple next fall, but i'll be attending a community college in the spring.

Old
10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
This actually isnt a bad idea... My sister and I are close and she is the one who i have been discussing this with the most. She told me I should try to do maybe Journalism and try to become a sports statistician. I am fairly decent with mathematics, but i'm leaving the school I attend right now because I literally can't stand it. I'm gonna transfer to Temple next fall, but i'll be attending a community college in the spring.
Yea, I always try to tell people to do 2 majors. It really isn't hard. When you talk to the Temple advisors ask them about it.

Let's say you major in Sports Marketing (or something), and want to also add another major in Journalism. Instead of taking 6 Karate classes or something, you just take journalism classes, and you have yourself a double major. (MAYBE you'd have to take 1 or 2 extra classes, but worth it imo. Take as many as you can while you are there since you typically don't pay extra unless it's over 20 credits a term.)

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:27 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

How did this thread turn into Dear Abby..

Anyway, if you go into journalism you probably have a better chance of getting a living wage job after attending a for profit institution like the University of Phoenix and majoring in Theater.....that's how bad your chances are..seriously.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Why don't you learn something useful and take up writing as a hobby?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

Thank you everybody and sorry for swaying the thread in the wrong direction

Old
10-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
One turnover in 3 games being put in pressure filled situations that 99% of rookies dont see I think he has played over and beyond what flyers fans could have expected. I will take that one turnover for all the other great things he is doing.
Really. The kid will have to fall flat on his face in order to not make this team. It is not written in stone yet that he has made the team. But the odds look good in his favor. He does not look like a deer in the headlights if you get my drift. 18 and he is going up to the linesmen and the refs and talking to them in between play all serious and stuff. Pretty cool if you ask me. Lavi is putting him out in tough situations against the best teams in the league and to date he has responded very well.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote