HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Game Notes 10/25 - Wisconsin vs. Quinnipiac

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2003, 08:50 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Game Notes 10/25 - Wisconsin vs. Quinnipiac

The 2nd in the weekend matchup at the Kohl Centre in Madison, WI, started out to be a game totally dominated by the Badgers early. The Badgers outshot the Bobcats 21-3 in the opening stanza. Badger Dman Ryan Suter (NSH) alone had 5 shots on goal in the 1st period.

The game featured different Goaltenders from the night before. Junior Jamie Holden, who was very sharp early on, was in net for Quinnipiac. Freshman (and Ottawa Senators 2003 draftee) Brian Elliot made his collegiate playing debut for Wisconsin. While he wasn’t tested much early, Elliot was sharp when he had to be. Elliot is a goaltender with good size (6’2/175) and covers alot of net. He also possesses some excellent reflexes.

The first period didn’t feature many penalties, however in the short-handed situation that Quinnipiac was in, they did a very admirable job in killing off the only non-matching minor.

Wisconsin head coach, Mike Eaves once again did some line juggling as he re-worked his top line to feature Senior Rene Bourque, Freshman Andrew Joudrey (WSH) and Sophomore Ryan MacMurchy (STL). Another line change for the Badgers featured Freshman Mark Heatley, Sophomore A. J. Degenhardt and Senior John Eichelberger (PHI). The re-worked Andrew Joudrey line once again, created many excellent scoring chances, but the Bobcats goaltending once again was up to the task of shutting the door.

In the 2nd period, the Badgers picked up from where they left off in the first period. They continued to go at the Bobcats but still couldn’t score. At the 3:54 mark, that would all change. Senior Rene Bourque would put the Badgers up 1-0 on a goal that was the result of a great individual effort by Sophomore Ryan MacMurchy. MacMurchy showed tremendous strength in protecting the puck. He made a terrific move to split the Bobcats defense, then moving the puck from his backhand to forehand, he left the puck just outside the crease for an oncoming Rene Bourque. Bourque fought off a Bobcats backcheck to muscle his way to the front of the net and get his stick down to poke the puck past a sprawling Jamie Holden for the goal.

During much of the 2nd period, the Bobcats had trouble clearing both the puck and Badgers players out of their own zone. However, when the Badgers began to lay back, Quinnipiac saw their chance to get going offensively. The Bobcats’ hard work from the line of Senior Ryan Morton, Sophomore Joe Testa and Junior Matt Craig would payoff at the 9:05 mark when Craig would get the Bobcats on the board. A broken down play by the Badgers resulted in a 2 on 1 for the Bobcats. Matt Craig drove to net on the odd man rush, just as he approached the net with the feed from Ryan Morton, Freshman Netminer Brian Elliot went down to make the save only to have Craig slip the puck under his pads just enough for it to cross the goal line for the score. For a short time in the period, the Bobcats were much better at creating their offensive opportunities. But it would be short lived, thanks to excellent play of the Joudrey line for the Badgers. At the 12:27 mark, Ryan MacMurchy again would find his way onto the score sheet. This time scoring an absolutely gorgeous goal that was again a result by a great individual effort. MacMurchy got the pass from Bourque off the boards. He skated in towards the Quinnipiac net untouched. MacMurchy showed tremendous patience with the puck as he waited until Bobcats netminder Jamie Holdn commited first by going down, leaving the top half of the net unprotected. MacMurchy was then able to flip the puck high over Holden’s stick side for the goal.

At the end of the 2nd period, tempers began to flare as both teams has two players each being assessed for roughing minors.

The 3rd period began with 4 players (two from each team) in the Penalty Box for roughing minors. Then the Andrew Jourdrey line would once again work their magic. At the 28 second mark, Freshman Andrew Joudrey got into position, parking himself in front of the Quinnipiac net to accept a nice feed from Ryan MacMurchy. Joudrey flipped the puck past Bobcats netminder Jamie Holden to put the Badgers up 3-1. MacMurchy and Dman Ryan Suter were credited with the assists on the goal.

As the 3rd period progressed, the Badgers took charge of the game and eventually the Bobcats frustration would surface. At the 13:09 mark, Badgers Dman Ryan Suter was called on a retailiatory slash on Bobcats freshman John Kelly. Kelly got away with a hold and a sucker-punch to Suter before Suter was sent off for the slash that resulted following Kelly’s actions. Things would start to boil over even more at the 16:09 mark when Badgers senior Andy Wozniewski and Bobcats sophomore Tim Morrison would be called for matching roughing minors. From that point, the Bobcats frustration continued to manifest itself all the while the Badgers tried their hardest to let cooler heads prevail. But once again, Suter would be the recipient of the Bobcats ire as he and Tim Morrison would make returning trips to the Penalty Box for roughing.

At the 18:47 mark, the Badgers would put the nail in the Bobcats coffin when Ryan MacMurchy would cap off an all around excellent night by scoring his 2nd goal of the game. Once again, it was MacMurchy’s effort and great hands that would make the goal. He skated into the Quinnipiac zone on a breakaway with a full head of steam, moving from his forehand to backhand to try and catch Holden off guard or to have him commit early once again. MacMurchy then slipped the puck into the net between Holden’s right and the post, just as Holden went down into the splits. Just moments before the game came to end, Badgers freshman Robbie Earl got into a “semi-fight” with a Bobcats player that resulted in both players being sent to the Penalty Box.

The best player by far for either team was Ryan MacMurchy. His hard work and terrific playmaking resulted in having a hand in all four Badgers goals. If St. Louis Blues fans want to see MacMurchy at his best, this was the game to watch. His linemates of Rene Bourque and Andrew Joudrey also had an outstanding evening. Freshman Badgers netminder Brian Elliot played very well, despite the fact that he didn’t have much work. While he allowed one goal to be scored, his overall play was quite good and he should get better as he sees more ice time. While the Bobcats didn’t have much to get excited about this evening, the story for their team was once again goaltending. While Jamie Holden had some rough moments, including 4 goals against, he did manage to keep the Bobcats in the game much of the night, thanks to some great moves and saves. Overall, the Badgers played a solid game going into a bye week. Quinnipiac meanwhile, will need to address the issue of protecting and helping their goaltenders more often.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:09 AM
ttnorm

Solid report, OC. You are really quite good at this stuff.

The territorial problems thta Q has been having the last 4 games finally caught up with them on the socreboard.

Had to laugh hearing Suter jawing with Morrison across the pen boxes following the roughing calls late in the game. Suter: "You are 23 years old and going nowhere". Silly Ryan! Morrison is only 21.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:30 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnorm
Solid report, OC. You are really quite good at this stuff.

The territorial problems thta Q has been having the last 4 games finally caught up with them on the socreboard.

Had to laugh hearing Suter jawing with Morrison across the pen boxes following the roughing calls late in the game. Suter: "You are 23 years old and going nowhere". Silly Ryan! Morrison is only 21.

Yea that was some funny stuff. I loved it when Suter call him, well I won't say the word being a staff member. Also when he was saying to him, "look where you play. Quinnipaic, Where the hell is Quinnipaic anyway?"

I thought the MacMurchy kid was very good. I also like Bourque, I thought he used his size well in both games, but I don't remember watching him last year. Winchester was the only guy that stuck out in the 2 games I saw of UWiss last year.

The fans at UWiss were great. That must have been a fun game to be at. What a difference a year makes. Last year Wiss stunk bad. I watched them play a home and home with UAA and it was tough to sit through those games.

But that kid on Quinn. who kept running the goalie, what a jerk. They should have done something to him to send a message that you can't do that crap.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:43 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnorm
That whole exchange was pretty hilarious. "You go to Quinnipiac; where the hell is it?"

Old
10-26-2003, 11:28 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Yea that was some funny stuff. I loved it when Suter call him, well I won't say the word being a staff member. Also when he was saying to him, "look where you play. Quinnipaic, Where the hell is Quinnipaic anyway?"

I thought the MacMurchy kid was very good. I also like Bourque, I thought he used his size well in both games, but I don't remember watching him last year. Winchester was the only guy that stuck out in the 2 games I saw of UWiss last year.

The fans at UWiss were great. That must have been a fun game to be at. What a difference a year makes. Last year Wiss stunk bad. I watched them play a home and home with UAA and it was tough to sit through those games.

But that kid on Quinn. who kept running the goalie, what a jerk. They should have done something to him to send a message that you can't do that crap.
That line about "where is Quinnipiac" from Suter was a riot. I was laughing so hard when I heard that.

BTW which (Quinnipiac) Bobcat? The one that Suter was "harrassed" by was John Kelly. Tim Morrison was the one who was trying to rile everyone up who was on the ice wearing the red & white.

ttnorm: Thanks for the feedback. I try my best to keep everyone posted/up to date.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
That line about "where is Quinnipiac" from Suter was a riot. I was laughing so hard when I heard that.

BTW which (Quinnipiac) Bobcat? The one that Suter was "harrassed" by was John Kelly. Tim Morrison was the one who was trying to rile everyone up who was on the ice wearing the red & white.

ttnorm: Thanks for the feedback. I try my best to keep everyone posted/up to date.

It was Kelly. He took a clear shot at the goalie, and just seemed to be doing some cheap stuff on the ice.

Those games were good to watch. Better then the ND game on CSTV. I thought that game was kinda boaring.

Closed Thread