HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc-Andre Gragnani

Old
10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
Marc-Andre Gragnani

Hey

I was wondeering what the plan is for Gragnani this year. I know the addition of Ehrhoff will probably lower the ice time he gets and probably his PP time especially.

He looked really good in the playoffs for you guys last year after putting up huge AHL stats. What kind of minutes and PP time is he likely to get this year?

Thanks

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Seventh defenseman.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Jamie Walker

i believe he has to play in a certain amount of games (somewhere around 60 or so?) or he becomes an ufa after this season.

Last edited by Jamie Walker: 10-08-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Jamie Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:07 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Right now he is looking to be the 7th defenseman but should get in a lot of games both as a defenseman and some as a forward.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:12 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Walker View Post
i believe he has to play in a certain amount of games (somewhere around 60 or so?) or he becomes a ufa after this season.
How is this legitimate or possible? What if he got hurt? You've read the inner intricacies of Grags' deal, incentives and out clauses included? Or is that a rule for someone with a new deal at his age or some bizarro thing I've never heard of?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:22 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
How is this legitimate or possible? What if he got hurt? You've read the inner intricacies of Grags' deal, incentives and out clauses included? Or is that a rule for someone with a new deal at his age or some bizarro thing I've never heard of?
It's definitely the case, it was brought up in another thread before (think when he signed his deal) and jfb verified it. Something about the # of pro seasons he will have that changes his status from rfa to ufa.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:23 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
It's definitely the case, it was brought up in another thread before (think when he signed his deal) and jfb verified it. Something about the # of pro seasons he will have that changes his status from rfa to ufa.
Right, but 60 games? Isn't that high?

Old
10-07-2011, 03:28 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Here it is: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...9&postcount=19

60 seems pretty high, kinda doubt he gets that many unless there are a lot of injuries or he plays a ton of forward on the 4th line...

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:35 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Here it is: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...9&postcount=19

60 seems pretty high, kinda doubt he gets that many unless there are a lot of injuries or he plays a ton of forward on the 4th line...
But 60 is the actual number? I hope he becomes a UFA then, because I don't want to have to force him into games if the other six are playing well just to keep him here. Knowing our propensity for blueline travesties in the injury department, it certainly wouldn't shock me if he played 60. Whatever. Thanks for digging that up for me. I totally 100% missed that.

Old
10-07-2011, 04:45 AM
jfb392

Quote:
But 60 is the actual number? I hope he becomes a UFA then, because I don't want to have to force him into games if the other six are playing well just to keep him here. Knowing our propensity for blueline travesties in the injury department, it certainly wouldn't shock me if he played 60. Whatever. Thanks for digging that up for me. I totally 100% missed that.
The actual number is 58.

If a skater who has three seasons of professional experience doesn't play 80 NHL games before the age of 25, he becomes a Group VI free agent, which means they are a different type of unrestricted free agent than normal (Group III) unrestricted players.
The same thing happened this summer with Mancari and Whitmore; Mancari signed with Vancouver and Whitmore re-signed with us.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:14 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
The actual number is 58.

If a skater who has three seasons of professional experience doesn't play 80 NHL games before the age of 25, he becomes a Group VI free agent, which means they are a different type of unrestricted free agent than normal (Group III) unrestricted players.
The same thing happened this summer with Mancari and Whitmore; Mancari signed with Vancouver and Whitmore re-signed with us.
He should be able to reach that number, especially if he gets some games as a forward in addition to being the first guy to replace injured or struggling defensemen. I'm not worried in either case as obviously Regehr considered this heavily when signing him to a one year deal, and that indicates some combination of believing he will hit the number, believing he would resign here, or lack of concern over losing him. I would agree with the first and last points fully. Though we wouldn't want to lose him without some asset compensation, our combination of quality NHL defensemen locked in and quality defensive prospects at several development stages mean losing him is not a major concern.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:20 AM
Mergus merganser

According to WGR, he appears to have taken Webers spot as the 6th defenseman. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ruff swap back and forth between weber and grags.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:43 PM
HogtownSabresfan

I for one am amazed how good this kid has become. Happy to be wrong. I never expected him to ever be close to this good. Frankly I ranked up there with Persson. He's cleaned up his defensive zone coverage and rates solidly in offensive zone. He gives us tremendous flexibility and makes Leopold possible trade bait with his low cap hit of $3-million.
The way he played in the opening two, I can see him getting to 58 easily. It says a ton that he bumped Weber.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:11 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
According to WGR, he appears to have taken Webers spot as the 6th defenseman. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ruff swap back and forth between weber and grags.
After 20 regular season games, if Gragnani is on pace for more games than Weber I would be surprised. After 2, not so surprised. Weber is #6 until it is obvious that he absolutely isn't. Jumping to conclusions is bad m'kay.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:40 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Seventh defenseman.
at the moment he is the 6th defenseman. He has taken Webers spot which I dont approve of but they are 2-0-0 and he seems to be performing well so no qualms here. Until the team loses, or Grags does somethign stupid Weber is the 7th and Grags continues to play.. I wouldn't be suprised if Reggie gets yanked before MA as he seems to find his way into Ruffs "DOGHOUSE" very easily ..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:41 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I for one am amazed how good this kid has become. Happy to be wrong. I never expected him to ever be close to this good. Frankly I ranked up there with Persson. He's cleaned up his defensive zone coverage and rates solidly in offensive zone. He gives us tremendous flexibility and makes Leopold possible trade bait with his low cap hit of $3-million.
The way he played in the opening two, I can see him getting to 58 easily. It says a ton that he bumped Weber.
Same here, I never thought he would amount to anything. Its a great suprise and nice to be wrong for a change..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:04 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
After 20 regular season games, if Gragnani is on pace for more games than Weber I would be surprised. After 2, not so surprised. Weber is #6 until it is obvious that he absolutely isn't. Jumping to conclusions is bad m'kay.
For sure it's early. He had a great playoff which I didn't put much stock in. But he was real good in camp and exhibition games I saw and was solid in Europe. Plus, he's in the 5,6, pairing which should mean easier assignments.
Weber will get his time. Frankly, I didn't mind his game that much in preseason. He's solid. I think MAG won job as much as Weber lost it. Love his mean streak. I can't remember the last time Sabres made it through a whole season only using 7-day man, let alone six.
This is a better D in some ways than 05-06 when we had McKee, Campbell, Kalinen (who could still play) Numminen, Tallinder (before he got hurt) and Lydman (who is actually playing better now).
To me defenceman are like pitchers. You can never have enough.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:29 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
As long as the 1st PP unit of Vanek-Adam-Poms-Grags-Ehrhoff is rolling, MAG won't come out of the lineup. If that unit starts to falter, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Weber draw into the lineup in his spot.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:07 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
As long as the 1st PP unit of Vanek-Adam-Poms-Grags-Ehrhoff is rolling, MAG won't come out of the lineup. If that unit starts to falter, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Weber draw into the lineup in his spot.
I think that's a fair assessment of the situation.

With regards to Grags vs. Weber for the sixth spot... I was surprised it was Gragnani and not Weber at first, but I'm going to trust Ruff and co with this. I'm sure they have the best insight and obviously see tons of things we don't.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Mellifleur

Quote:
I think that's a fair assessment of the situation.

With regards to Grags vs. Weber for the sixth spot... I was surprised it was Gragnani and not Weber at first, but I'm going to trust Ruff and co with this. I'm sure they have the best insight and obviously see tons of things we don't.
I wonder if playing in Europe with bigger ice surface had some influence as to who to start when concerning Gragnani over Weber. Grags has more of an offensive game and so his game would fit better on the bigger ice surface.

I think the defensive roster will see variance according to who we are playing, if we need toughness Weber will be slotted in and whoever is the weaker playing of Sekera or Grags gets benched...

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:45 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOni View Post
I wonder if playing in Europe with bigger ice surface had some influence as to who to start when concerning Gragnani over Weber. Grags has more of an offensive game and so his game would fit better on the bigger ice surface.

I think the defensive roster will see variance according to who we are playing, if we need toughness Weber will be slotted in and whoever is the weaker playing of Sekera or Grags gets benched...
I'm pretty sure at least one if not both of the rinks were actually NHL regulation size and not Olympic.

EDIT: Hartwall reduced the ice surface to NHL dimensions for the game but its normally an Olympic sized surface. Can't find any info on whether or not Berlin did the same but I assume that would be the case.

Anyway, I don't think the ice surface influenced who dressed in Europe

Last edited by joshjull: 10-13-2011 at 12:57 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:01 PM
OcAirlines

The game in Berlin was on NA-sized ice too.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote