HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You're Howson....

View Poll Results: You're Howson. What do you do at 0-3-1?
Stand Pat. The answer is in the room. Do nothing. Hope for best. The team will come around! 24 34.78%
Freshen up my resume, and put my house up for sale. 11 15.94%
Get rid of Mason. Enough is enough. Find another G through trade or FA 15 21.74%
Make a big move to resuscitate the D (i.e. trade RyJo for #1D) 13 18.84%
Invite Hitch out to Tim's for coffee and some bits, get ready to beg for help 6 8.70%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-13-2011, 02:05 PM
CBJCougar

vCash: 500
What a mess...

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:07 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
What a mess...
Desperation demotions/promotions from you farm system is a sure sign of disarray to be sure.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:09 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Desperation demotions/promotions from you farm system is a sure sign of disarray to be sure.
Why that man still has a job boggles my mind. They should have replaced him with you a long time ago.

Old
10-13-2011, 02:19 PM
WALLY

They weren't going to win them all... they're just getting those pesky losses out of the way first before they start their 78-0-0 tear into the playoffs.

WALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:39 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Why that man still has a job boggles my mind. They should have replaced him with you a long time ago.
Do you think another will be more succesful? No. Howson is good for his job here IMO. (P.S. He traded Brule and Filatov not only Klesla )

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

I'm really glad I don't have to perform my job under intense public scrutiny. And that statement is meant not as condemnation. It's just a statement.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:07 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Do you think another will be more succesful? No. Howson is good for his job here IMO. (P.S. He traded Brule and Filatov not only Klesla )
WTF is this??? If you honestly believe that the ONLY reason I would be pissed at Howson is because he traded Klesla, then you don't respect my opinions, you don't read a thing I've ever said and you don't need to speak to me now. Thank you.

Old
10-13-2011, 03:08 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Oh I don't know...

Is this plan something ownership would want to hear? Starting with the assumption I can't trade Mason.

1. Fire Ariel.
2. Trade 3+ million (it could go higher) in salaries (total aggregate), mostly picks in return. Possible players include Dorse, Russell, Brassard, Pahlsson. Russell and Brassard would be the priorities.
3. Trade or otherwise acquire competition for Dek and Sanford. No over-the-hill vets.
4. Send Mason down to Springfield.
5. Scour the NHL for a 25 minute a night defensemen to play against the teams top line. Someone that can cover Wiz and let him do his thing. These are the guys that would be shadowing the other teams top players. That trade would probably hurt.
6. Extend DM.
7. Depending on what cap and budget looks like, find a top six RW.

The new coach, on an interim basis, would be based on internal discussions with ownership.

Old
10-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

If I was Howson and didn't see any progress made in the next few games, I think I'd go to the podium and make like Denis Savard...

It may be more appropriate for Arniel to do it, but whatever.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:30 PM
leafobserver

I wonder if management would be under so much scrutiny had they won 1 of the first 3 games (1 goal losses), then pulled off the SO win last night?

It's 4 games! Nearly half the roster has been turned over, and I really only see an issue with the 2nd line and the need for Tyutin and Martinek to play at the level they are capable of.

There is absolutely no sense worrying too much at this point, especially when the #1 D has not played a minute this season.

You have to give a team the first 10 games before any major changes should be considered. This team had a major facelift this summer, and it'll take some time to reap the benefits.

leafobserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:37 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Oh I don't know...

Is this plan something ownership would want to hear? Starting with the assumption I can't trade Mason.

1. Fire Ariel.
2. Trade 3+ million (it could go higher) in salaries (total aggregate), mostly picks in return. Possible players include Dorse, Russell, Brassard, Pahlsson. Russell and Brassard would be the priorities.
3. Trade or otherwise acquire competition for Dek and Sanford. No over-the-hill vets.
4. Send Mason down to Springfield.
5. Scour the NHL for a 25 minute a night defensemen to play against the teams top line. Someone that can cover Wiz and let him do his thing. These are the guys that would be shadowing the other teams top players. That trade would probably hurt.
6. Extend DM.
7. Depending on what cap and budget looks like, find a top six RW.

The new coach, on an interim basis, would be based on internal discussions with ownership.
You're hired. Especially #5.

Old
10-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Byrral

What we do with our current roster situation is what I'm concerned about. Trades never seem to be easy to pull off so I assume no trades are going to be made anytime soon. So when is it time to move Carter to the wing and put a center between him and Nash?

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:28 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
What we do with our current roster situation is what I'm concerned about. Trades never seem to be easy to pull off so I assume no trades are going to be made anytime soon. So when is it time to move Carter to the wing and put a center between him and Nash?
Well... Why? Last I checked that line has 4 goals and 12 points in 3 games. I guess I would need to understand the problem and what this is supposed to fix. I would think we would want around 90 goals from that line. We're at an 80 goal pace.

What I would be looking to "fix" is secondary scoring and specialty teams. What you propose doesn't fix that.

Old
10-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Well... Why? Last I checked that line has 4 goals and 12 points in 3 games. I guess I would need to understand the problem and what this is supposed to fix. I would think we would want around 90 goals from that line. We're at an 80 goal pace.

What I would be looking to "fix" is secondary scoring and specialty teams. What you propose doesn't fix that.
Maybe not to anyone's liking but it would move Prospal down a line.

Nash-Vermette-Carter
Prospal-Brassard-Umberger

At least until Juice gets back

I know. Grasping straws here. Or we hope that an entire bottom three lines wakes up.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Shelley#45

Mason hasnt looked very good there is no doubt about that. Im just not sure how the jackets have all this change over and yet the power play still looks as bad as usual. Im not sure they have had a decent power play in 5 years.

To me the power play is a bigger problem then Mason. Even the pk isnt looking all that great, how do you have someone that cant excel on either side of special teams. All the slow immobile dmen are gone now. And yet the power play still stinks, and now the pk stinks. I guess ill hope wiz just comes in and turns around the pp all by himself, so ill hold off hope there.

On to the pk. Who you going to throw out there? Tyutin and Methot are the #1 shutdown pair? I just dont see with the lack of shutdown dmen, jackets have none basicaly unless someone labels methot as that, how the goaltending feels even remotely comfortable out there. Jackets need another dman. Ask me anyone but Wiz and the top line should be up for grabs to get another dman that can play heavy minutes.

Its all boiling down to defense for me, maybe it will change up once they get Wiz back. Not sure if 1 person can have that much impact that appears may be needed though.

Shelley#45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:51 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Nash-Vermette-Carter

I know. Grasping straws here. Or we hope that an entire bottom three lines wakes up.
Vermette has done little on line two, RJ has done nothing on line two, and Brassard has done nothing anywhere. Looks like a good way to poison the only thing that seems to be working - line one.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
I'd try and get Bobrovsky. Something about Russian goaltenders....they are all so good. Look at what freaking Varlamov did to us tonight. Mason for Bob and a pick/player.
Varlamov may turn into a stud #1, but the rebounds he was spitting up last night was unreal. The Jackets didn't take advantage of this.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:13 PM
blahblah

Quote:

Nash-Vermette-Carter

Not sure we have to move Carter to wing to meet your desire to move Prospal down.

Old
10-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Matt

This team is really providing fuel for the anti arena crowd. Lousy team, no attendance. Inept coaching and management.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Howson has no choice but to pretty much stand-pat at this point.

The only moves he can make are the Cam Atkinson level moves. Maybe Brassard gets traded somehow? Not sure who would want his contract at this point in his career.

The team's most valuable assets are signed to long term contracts. Some of those guys (Vermette and Umby) aren't contributing. Nobody could have seen that coming.

Stand pat. It's what Howson is going to do.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 5300
Quote:
WTF is this??? If you honestly believe that the ONLY reason I would be pissed at Howson is because he traded Klesla, then you don't respect my opinions, you don't read a thing I've ever said and you don't need to speak to me now. Thank you.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:27 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
I'd try and get Bobrovsky. Something about Russian goaltenders....they are all so good. Look at what freaking Varlamov did to us tonight. Mason for Bob and a pick/player.

Sorry, that's crazy. I watched almost every start of Bobs last season. Mason is no world beater, but so far for the Jackets to win the goaltender would have to give up no more than 1 goal per game.

Please do me a favor and find a goalie who will average <2.00 GAA?

Bobs didn't do that with one of the very best blue lines in the NHL.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Varlamov may turn into a stud #1, but the rebounds he was spitting up last night was unreal. The Jackets didn't take advantage of this.
Um he made about 4-5 saves Mason would of let in and he wasnt flailing all over the place. Mason gives up rebounds on every other slap shot.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:24 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Um he made about 4-5 saves Mason would of let in and he wasnt flailing all over the place. Mason gives up rebounds on every other slap shot.
Oohh, more hyperbole.. Fun!

Old
10-14-2011, 01:09 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
LOL No, I'm not mad at Eva.