HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Where in the World is Kirill Kabanov ?

Old
10-13-2011, 12:49 PM
swedishhockeysupport

vCash: 500
Could he make it in SEL? I heard he did an ok camp?
The ppg from last season in the junior leauge wasn't any spectacular though, but i guess he wasn't inspired?

swedishhockeysupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishhockeysupport View Post
Could he make it in SEL? I heard he did an ok camp?
The ppg from last season in the junior leauge wasn't any spectacular though, but i guess he wasn't inspired?
I thought he looked very good in the preseason games, was creative, played well positionally. I think he'll fit right in over there.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:17 PM
swedishhockeysupport

Perfect, thank you very much.

If anyone have any description of him as a player that is very welcome.

Also could you please get me input how QMJHL compares WHL in quality? thanks

Last edited by swedishhockeysupport: 10-13-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old
10-13-2011, 02:33 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
So, the kid goes off to Sweden to play with men for 1 year and then off to Bridgeport next season when he turns 20. Am I the only one who doesn't see this as a travesty?
Best case scenario. Better than Russia, better than juniors IMHO.

He can work on his maturity and strength and most importantly his discipline and all around game. Sweden is the ideal culture IMHO for him. He'll be unable to a great extent to act like an immature jackarse. He'll be able to refine his skill with some of the best players in the world.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Best case scenario. Better than Russia, better than juniors IMHO.

He can work on his maturity and strength and most importantly his discipline and all around game. Sweden is the ideal culture IMHO for him. He'll be unable to a great extent to act like an immature jackarse. He'll be able to refine his skill with some of the best players in the world.
Spot on considering how beautiful the girls over there are

Old
10-13-2011, 02:48 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Spot on considering how beautiful the girls over there are
And very underrated beer.

Old
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
And very underrated beer.
Really? I wasn't aware they had good beer over there.

Old
10-13-2011, 03:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/swedintr.htm

No one is.

http://www.thelocal.se/4691/20060825/#

I had to try Hell and it was surprisingly good.

Old
10-13-2011, 03:17 PM
swedishhockeysupport

Kabanov confirmed, will play on a short contract ( 8 games ) with FBK in the SEL

http://www.vf.se/sport/ishockey/rund...klar-farjestad

Old
10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Kabanov confirmed, will play on a short contract ( 8 games ) with FBK in the SEL

http://www.vf.se/sport/ishockey/rund...klar-farjestad
So what happens after 8 games and no SEL team wants to sign him?? is there no way he can go to the AHL after the SEL this season?

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
They don't.

I've been to many European countries, but I haven't found a Swedish beer I truly like. Ciders are another thing...

When it comes to Euro-beers, I say stick to German, Irish, Czech and Belgian assortments. A few other individual brands are good as well, but those four countries have the broadest base of goodins IMHO.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Isles Junkie

Good luck KK

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:12 PM
SouthSwe

Regarding the subject if Kirill will take a spot in the SEL or not, I can tell u that he will play in our 1st line straight away. We have been playing utter rubbish for 11 games now with our new coach this year.

We're dead last in the standings with 16 goals in 11 games..... (17 if u count our penalty win)

Hopefully after the upcoming game on Saturday our coach will get sacked so Kirill might arrive at the same time as our future coach.

SouthSwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:26 PM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
They don't.

I've been to many European countries, but I haven't found a Swedish beer I truly like. Ciders are another thing...

When it comes to Euro-beers, I say stick to German, Irish, Czech and Belgian assortments. A few other individual brands are good as well, but those four countries have the broadest base of goodins IMHO.
My grandfather was the brew master for a number of years at Pilsner Urquell. Man, that is a d*** good beer...although I am biased.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 06:36 PM
swedishhockeysupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post
Regarding the subject if Kirill will take a spot in the SEL or not, I can tell u that he will play in our 1st line straight away. We have been playing utter rubbish for 11 games now with our new coach this year.

We're dead last in the standings with 16 goals in 11 games..... (17 if u count our penalty win)

Hopefully after the upcoming game on Saturday our coach will get sacked so Kirill might arrive at the same time as our future coach.
I don't think you shall listen to this person. Mr Kabanovs situation may not be the best, coming into a hockeyclub more or less in crisis. Especially for a russian player this will usually be very hard.

But you need to be reminded of that FBK has one of Europes most professional organisations and they will take care of Mr Kabanov. But it's up to the player himself how much icetime he will get. Certainly they haven't signed him as a star in the team, but several offensive players in FBK has underperformed, so i think he has a chance ( i don`t know his skills though ), to get some quality icetime. If not, they wouldn't have taken him in.

I quote Mr Rundquist who is responsible for transfers of players in FBK:
Quote:
"We take a chance when we take him in"
Quote:
"Islanders contacted us and asked if we could take him in"
Quote:
"I have heard that he had problems before, but Islanders says that his character has changed as of recent"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
So what happens after 8 games and no SEL team wants to sign him?? is there no way he can go to the AHL after the SEL this season?
In swedish official news they call it a 8 games long try-out contract. But i think ( i don't promise though ), that Kabanov himself, FBK and Islanders will decide what happens after 8 games. What i mean, is that ( what it seems atleast ) Islanders and Kabanov have no obligations or any binding contract with FBK after the 8 games have been played.

Old
10-13-2011, 07:54 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
In swedish official news they call it a 8 games long try-out contract. But i think ( i don't promise though ), that Kabanov himself, FBK and Islanders will decide what happens after 8 games. What i mean, is that ( what it seems atleast ) Islanders and Kabanov have no obligations or any binding contract with FBK after the 8 games have been played.
It'll be a good test for Kabanov. I don't think he'll do that well, not right away anyway, that's a tough league compared to the QMJHL. But it'll be god for him.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:31 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
They don't.

The article I posted explains it - no beer culture in the prohibition state. But the microbrews came out and they borrowed from the Germans, the Belgians and the English and there's some good stuff. Repression leads to some good ingenuity.

The Belgians still are the best. The Germans the purest (and Dinkel Acker Dark is Europe's best brew).

Old
10-13-2011, 09:26 PM
swedishhockeysupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
It'll be a good test for Kabanov. I don't think he'll do that well, not right away anyway, that's a tough league compared to the QMJHL. But it'll be god for him.
You might be surprised. If he had 6 games as a 16 year old in KHL, one would think he have developed atleast some skills since then. But last years stats from the junior leauge, i don't like. It was a disaster ( but it's typical east european players, they play in a vacuum just for themselves and not for the team, and when they will be given better linemates they immideatly looks alot better ), but atleast he managed to score somewhat over 1ppg in playoffs.

I don't question your knowledge, i'm just hoping like you that this player will go against the odds and make great plays in SEL. Both FBK and Islanders will have benifit of this.

I report back when i have seen him ( he will not play next game ). I will se all his games for Farjestad.

One further thing you might like. FBK got 2 injuries last game on wingers ( but maybe both of them might play as soon as next game, we don't know yet ). Also, one of the absolute top wingers got match penalty ( checking to the head ), he might very well be suspended several games. Kabanov maybe will get a fair chance.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:38 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
You might be surprised. If he had 6 games as a 16 year old in KHL, one would think he have developed atleast some skills since then. But last years stats from the junior leauge, i don't like. It was a disaster ( but it's typical east european players, they play in a vacuum just for themselves and not for the team, and when they will be given better linemates they immideatly looks alot better ), but atleast he managed to score somewhat over 1ppg in playoffs.

I don't question your knowledge, i'm just hoping like you that this player will go against the odds and make great plays in SEL. Both FBK and Islanders will have benifit of this.

I report back when i have seen him ( he will not play next game ). I will se all his games for Farjestad.

One further thing you might like. FBK got 2 injuries last game on wingers ( but maybe both of them might play as soon as next game, we don't know yet ). Also, one of the absolute top wingers got match penalty ( checking to the head ), he might very well be suspended several games. Kabanov maybe will get a fair chance.
Funny you say that about players who "play in a vacuum" - that's exactly how I see Kabanov playing, although he's gotten MUCH BETTER recently. He's a very talented kid, great skater, great puck-handler, but I never felt he was very productive on the ice. Just never put it together.

Although his stats weren't the best in the Q last year, he was dominant in the playoffs. Even his coach said Kabanov was incredible in the playoffs. And he's carried this forward this year. He only saw ONE pre-season game but he looked like a different player than what we'd seen prior.

He's got skills, he's not polished yet. He's still a really skinny kid, but he's gotten so much bigger. I'd guess that when he was drafted he was probably 155lbs. I'd say he's close to 170-175lbs now. His man-weight will probably cap out at 185-190lbs over the next 2-3 years, based on his skinny frame (not unlike Grabner) and if his game comes together, he could be a really good player.

I'm not sure how physical the SEL is, I know it's gotten more physical in recent years but probably not close to the NHL. Kabanov will find it difficult to adjust to that league IMO. But I'd guess by the 5th or 6th game he'll start to find his game and be more noticeable.

Not all 19 year olds are created equal. He's much more BOY than MAN. Strome is the same way. Matt Duchene was already a man at 18 though, really strong on his skates and could fly.

I hope Kabanov does well but I know it's a tough league for a 19 year old.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:18 PM
swedishhockeysupport

That was one hell of an explanation, and also definitely a positive one, thank you very much. Very low weight though, he must replace this with nice moves and look for open ice. The way his body is built could cause injury problems.

I will keep you updated of Mr Kabanov. Out for now.

Old
10-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
The article I posted explains it - no beer culture in the prohibition state. But the microbrews came out and they borrowed from the Germans, the Belgians and the English and there's some good stuff. Repression leads to some good ingenuity.

The Belgians still are the best. The Germans the purest (and Dinkel Acker Dark is Europe's best brew).
I'll have to find one of those microbreweries the next time I'm up there.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3340/4032

I'll have to try this. Not retailed up here, but when I'm around the Stuttgart area, I'll keep an eye open.

Old
10-14-2011, 06:33 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
I've been dying to try this Black Albert (see below), as I am a huge stout fan, but can't find it retail in Raleigh, and by mail you need to order a large amount plus shipping....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/15237/38334

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I'm not sure how physical the SEL is, I know it's gotten more physical in recent years but probably not close to the NHL. Kabanov will find it difficult to adjust to that league IMO. But I'd guess by the 5th or 6th game he'll start to find his game and be more noticeable.
The SEL is certainly no AHL when it comes to the physical game.

As I posted in another thread, my take is that the Euroleagues are becoming wimpier because you get a penalty every time you touch a guy. On top of it all, the suspension craze has caught on here too. What used to be a 2 or 5 minute penalty is quickly becoming a 4-6 game suspension. Three biggies between the DEL and SEL were issued just this week.

Personally, I'm disgusted. When I see a game here, I see a bunch of guys trying to play poke-check shinny. Any time an oppponent is halway hunched, no-one is touchin' him with a ten foot pole.

Anyhow, what concerns me more is that the SEL is an extremely low-scoring league (save for the 8-7 spectable 10 days ago). Just take Frolunda - they've allowed only 13 GA in 12(!) games. Are you kidding me!?! (I know the Danish goalie Andersen, by the way) I mean, that's just incredible. In general though, you look at a night of SEL scores and it often looks like you're checking out the soccer standings.

Thus, this could help Kabanov be a more defensively capable player. It could also stunt his offensive growth somewhat, especially if he's not out there with other offensively-oriented players (which his new team has few of at the moment).

Old
10-14-2011, 07:19 AM
ORYX

I would just like to clarify the Import rule in the CHL for everyone as there seems to be confusion.

In the CHL, a team can only hold the rights to two import players at any one time. The armada do not hold Kabonov's rights because they have two others.

This rule is put in place because unlike 98% of junior players in Canada who either cross the border or travel across the province to their teams, these imports cross the atlantic to another continent to play hockey. There need to be rules in place so that teams arent bringing over 5 kids, and letting them fight it out for the roster spots just to send 3 back. Also, teams are of different financial backing, so teams with deeper pockets could spring for 5 of the best to tryout while other financially strapped teams could only spring for 2 of the worst, or the left overs.

This happened in Kitchener of the OHL with regards to Gabriel Landeskog. The Kitchener Rangers owned his rights as well as Tobias Reider, an Edmonton draft pick. Once Landeskog was drafted 2nd overall to a team he was/is going to make, once the CHL import draft approached, GM Steve Spott had to decide to release Landeskog (As he was a shoe in for the NHL) in order to even draft a player, because under CHL rules, you can only own the rights to two import players at once. Therefore, if Landeskog was sent down to Junior, which he cannot play AHL due to the CHL/NHL age agreement, he would be a free agent eligible to sign with ANY CHL. He would not be required to pass through waivers because his rights were not traded, he was released, and would return as a free agent, eligable to decide which team he signed with, pending they only owned the rights to one Import.

The same can be said about Kabonov. Because the Armada already have 2 import players, regardless of injury, or where they play (If they owned the rights to a player who was sent back to europe but not released) they had to have released Kabonov's rights, making his signing in the SEL a possibility. If he was the property of any CHL team that would not be possible, and because his release came when he was not with the Armada (ie with the Islanders) he is not waiver eligible, to be 'claimed' by other teams.

If he was, you would have seen another team who only had plans for one Import this year, claim him as a "just in case he is back" idea.

Hope this helps to clarify some of the grey areas on the CHL import rules etc.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
That was one hell of an explanation, and also definitely a positive one, thank you very much. Very low weight though, he must replace this with nice moves and look for open ice. The way his body is built could cause injury problems.

I will keep you updated of Mr Kabanov. Out for now.
please do. thanks.

as for the beers in discussion, i'll take a belgian or german brew any day or night, though guinness is still a staple for me.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote