HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Couturier and Read

Old
10-13-2011, 02:27 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Chris Shafer where did you get your degree from??? I've been thinking about changing my major to journalism... was wondering where you went?
Don't do it.

I got a degree from CUA in Washington, DC.

Honestly I'll probably end up in some other job long-term before I ever end up as a journalist, whether the job is writing or not. I might even go back to school. There's no reason to sink a lifetime into a dying career. I like writing and doing research. I do both very well. But nobody reads anymore and the people who do give you the news don't even know what they're telling you. They're just actors paid to read a prompt that is written up by either some underpaid guy dreaming of becoming the next guy at the desk or some unpaid intern looking for college credits so he can one day be the guy writing the nonsense to never be a "reporter." This is not only the reality of ESPN but pretty much every news agency. If you look closely, a lot of "reporters" now are ex-athletes, ex-coaches, ex-managers.

Welcome to the industry.

If you want to make money, become a web content editor for a major "news" website. People will pay far more for quality control than they will for content.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:35 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Really. The kid will have to fall flat on his face in order to not make this team. It is not written in stone yet that he has made the team. But the odds look good in his favor. He does not look like a deer in the headlights if you get my drift. 18 and he is going up to the linesmen and the refs and talking to them in between play all serious and stuff. Pretty cool if you ask me. Lavi is putting him out in tough situations against the best teams in the league and to date he has responded very well.
Lavi is giving him the Eric Staal treatment. When Staal came into the league, there was Brind'Amour and Francis ahead of him on the depth chart. Eric started out on the third line and played his way through. If there's one big difference here, I'd say that Couturier is further along in his defensive game than Staal was.

The beauty behind this is that Couturier is playing with better linemates than Staal had in Carolina. If anything, I don't think it's out of line to expect 40 to 45 points from Couturier this year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:42 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Lavi is giving him the Eric Staal treatment. When Staal came into the league, there was Brind'Amour and Francis ahead of him on the depth chart. Eric started out on the third line and played his way through. If there's one big difference here, I'd say that Couturier is further along in his defensive game than Staal was.

The beauty behind this is that Couturier is playing with better linemates than Staal had in Carolina. If anything, I don't think it's out of line to expect 40 to 45 points from Couturier this year.
If Couturier sniffs 45 points with no PP time, all PK time, while remaining as defensively sound as he is right now as an 18-year-old, they won't give him the Calder, but he is the single best prospect in the world. FACT.

Old
10-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStache View Post
I think the third line is the best place for Couturier to develop, if it's 4th line duty, I'd rather see him back in the Q. There is a huge difference between 3rd and 4th line expectations and TOI. I wouldn't burn a year off an ELC for Couturier to be a teams 4th line center over some other defensive forward. Sure, he MIGHT be better at it, but by how much? It's not worth it.

I basically repeating myself, but I do not believe this is necessarily so. If the Flyers have 4 really dynamite lines, I would expect Lavy to roll them all. It's a smart thing that smart teams do in order to get through 82 games at optimum strength. No longer does the 4th line have to be a collection of replacement-level muckers and goons. As for TOI, this can be supplemented by special teams duties, which Couturier is already getting a lot of. Nearly half of his minutes last night were on the PK.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If Couturier sniffs 45 points with no PP time, all PK time, while remaining as defensively sound as he is right now as an 18-year-old, they won't give him the Calder, but he is the single best prospect in the world. FACT.
Could be argued he was a case of mono away from being #1 overall, most fans dont even know how lucky we are to get this kid at #8, just unbeleivable.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:51 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Hey, Staal got 31 points as a rookie and his wingers were Radim Vrbata and Jeff O'Neill. I don't think it's that far off at all with Couturier getting in the 40 to 45 point range with Hartnell and Read. And before the season is out, you know Laviolette will reward them with PP time.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Hey, Staal got 31 points as a rookie and his wingers were Radim Vrbata and Jeff O'Neill. I don't think it's that far off at all with Couturier getting in the 40 to 45 point range with Hartnell and Read. And before the season is out, you know Laviolette will reward them with PP time.
Matt Read has been seeing some powerplay time on the point on the first unit, has a harder shot then I thought he did, also knows when to sneak down into the slot or the back door.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
While he's been good overall, Read has Nodl'd a few good chances which is disappointing. Ideally that will improve with time, and it might have something to do with getting adjusted to the speed and level of NHL play. Regardless of that it seems clear that Homer has a steal on his hands with this signing.

10-13-2011, 04:14 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
That was also in the DPE.

31 points probably translates to latter 30s/early 40s these days, so yeah it seems like roughly the same range with stellar defensive skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
While he's been good overall, Read has Nodl'd a few good chances which is disappointing. Ideally that will improve with time, and it might have something to do with getting adjusted to the speed and level of NHL play. Regardless of that it seems clear that Homer has a steal on his hands with this signing.
He's an older version of Nodl with better skating and a little more developed offensive game honestly.

Old
10-13-2011, 04:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Hmm. I remember it happening during preseason a few times when he was on a line with Giroux and Jagr, but honestly cant remember it during the regular season. I think there might have been a shorthanded goal that he didnt score on, but Couturier and Nodl both missed one of those also. Also there was that one slapshot where he missed high and wide, but I wouldnt consider that a Nodl but more of a Carter shot (I dont know if Nodl can even slapshot)

All I am asking is because Read's shooting % is 20% which is 3rd on the team at the moment, behind Voracek and Giroux. He has only taken 5 shots.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:22 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Hmm. I remember it happening during preseason a few times when he was on a line with Giroux and Jagr, but honestly cant remember it during the regular season. I think there might have been a shorthanded goal that he didnt score on, but Couturier and Nodl both missed one of those also. Also there was that one slapshot where he missed high and wide, but I wouldnt consider that a Nodl but more of a Carter shot (I dont know if Nodl can even slapshot)

All I am asking is because Read's shooting % is 20% which is 3rd on the team at the moment, behind Voracek and Giroux. He has only taken 5 shots.
Nodl is known for screwing up chances within 10 feet of the net; panicking.

So, he theoretically wouldn't be getting the opportunity to take many shots.

Old
10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I think I've only seen it twice in the regular season so far, and he was fumbling on a puck he didn't have control of. It wasn't on shots. (edit: it was while trying to take a shot and failing)

Perhaps it was more like Powe'ing it. I'm not really worried about it yet.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:24 PM
FlyersCup08

Quote:

Not saying having a good shooting % is bad, but it's a misleading stat b/c it doesn't take into account shots that miss the net.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Nodl is known for screwing up chances within 10 feet of the net; panicking.

So, he theoretically wouldn't be getting the opportunity to take many shots.
Yea so in that case the slapshot which went high and wide is really the only time he "Nodled" it. It was a one time slapshot and it went over.

Doesnt Nodl mean getting a pass and Nodl missing a shot or fumbling it? That is what I always took it as. This isnt me blinding defending Read here, but more of a sincere question. I honestly dont remember it. I dont really remember anyone Nodling so far.

Old
10-13-2011, 04:31 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Yea so in that case the slapshot which went high and wide is really the only time he "Nodled" it. It was a one time slapshot and it went over.

Doesnt Nodl mean getting a pass and Nodl missing a shot or fumbling it? That is what I always took it as. This isnt me blinding defending Read here, but more of a sincere question. I honestly dont remember it. I dont really remember anyone Nodling so far.
Nodl had a number where he had a wide open net and shot wide.

-Shooting wide on open net.
-Fumbling the puck in close.
-Whiffing on a shot.
-Handling the puck one second too long.
-Losing the puck behind the net.
-Needing to do something unbelievable just to get the puck in the net (spin-o-rama backhand).

That's a Nodl. Bold is the most common occurrence.

-Shooting hide and wide from the slot.

That's a Carter.

Old
10-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Oh. Then yes, I've definitely seen Read Nodl at least twice.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:38 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Nodl had a number where he had a wide open net and shot wide.

-Fumbling the puck in close.
-Whiffing on a shot.
-Handling the puck one second too long.
-Losing the puck behind the net.
-Needing to do something unbelievable just to get the puck in the net (spin-o-rama backhand).

That's a Nodl. Bold is the most common occurrence.

-Shooting hide and wide from the slot.

That's a Carter.
Quote:
Technically with those definitions, everyone has Nodled a few times. Even Jagr

Old
10-13-2011, 04:41 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Technically with those definitions, everyone has Nodled a few times. Even Jagr
The difference is that Nodl ONLY Nodles. Once in a blue moon does he actually get a goal, and they're always epic, like the backhand spin-o-rama.

The rest of his goals are deflections, perfect pass tip-ins, or goalie screw-ups.

It's a shame because he does his job. He's in the right position to produce points. I still think he's just extremely unlucky. He has more skill than what has been demonstrated so far. Not much more, but enough to be a consistent 3rd line scoring compliment.

Old
10-13-2011, 05:28 PM

vCash: 50
I had a bowl of Chinese food earlier and found myself repeatedly Nodling noodles.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:35 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I had a bowl of Chinese food earlier and found myself repeatedly Nodling noodles.
Funny...I'd liken Nodl within 10 feet of the net to trying to eat pasta with a spoon.

It's a shame because I know the offensive talent is there. It just hasn't worked.

Old
10-13-2011, 06:32 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Jets fan coming in peace

since we drafted ahead of Philly and our Staff in a shocker took Mark Scheifele ahead of Couturier I thought i would tune in to watch the Philly Vancouver game last night to assess our move. I was really impressed with Couturier last night. The kid can flat out play and looked completely at place in your line up. Anyone who thinks he's going back to junior's is mistaken in my opinion. He hit a post and had a nice helper so the offensive skills are there to go with his very solid defensive game. he plays well beyond his birth certificate.

really nice pick up for the Flyers

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:20 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Watching Nodl around the net reminds me of a certain sceen from American Pie. Ill leave it at that

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:57 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Jets fan coming in peace

since we drafted ahead of Philly and our Staff in a shocker took Mark Scheifele ahead of Couturier I thought i would tune in to watch the Philly Vancouver game last night to assess our move. I was really impressed with Couturier last night. The kid can flat out play and looked completely at place in your line up. Anyone who thinks he's going back to junior's is mistaken in my opinion. He hit a post and had a nice helper so the offensive skills are there to go with his very solid defensive game. he plays well beyond his birth certificate.

really nice pick up for the Flyers
Thanks. Though, it doesn't look like the Jets will be hurting with "just" Scheifele.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:57 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
But have you seen Nodl Read?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
But have you seen Nodl Read?
I have not, but I assume he can.