HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

stick length - yes its been discussed

Old
10-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
I just noticed when I put my stick down on the ice I need to close the face in order for the entire blade to come in contact with the ice, otherwise the toe doesn't touch the ice. I'm guessing that's a sign I should shorten my stick a bit?

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
You could try it, but it's not a hard and fast rule. A lot of blades have a rockered heel and toe so they won't ever lie flat until you close them (Sakic for example). That lets you stickhandle with an effective 5 lie and shoot in tight with an effective 6 lie for example.

I'd love to talk to a pro gear rep to see what they think about it. Do most pros use flat or rockered blades? Do they follow that blade flat on the ice rule to chop the sticks? What about the guys who use long sticks? Where do they like to shoot and how flat is the blade on the ice? Etc.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:04 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You could try it, but it's not a hard and fast rule. A lot of blades have a rockered heel and toe so they won't ever lie flat until you close them (Sakic for example). That lets you stickhandle with an effective 5 lie and shoot in tight with an effective 6 lie for example.

I'd love to talk to a pro gear rep to see what they think about it. Do most pros use flat or rockered blades? Do they follow that blade flat on the ice rule to chop the sticks? What about the guys who use long sticks? Where do they like to shoot and how flat is the blade on the ice? Etc.
This is very true, however isn't still somewhat the fact still at the least the middle or the flattest part of the blade should remain falt on the ice as well?

I've seen alot of players in the W play with rather long sticks, specifically D men... however the lie seems to be flat enough to be consive to the play... they still
stickhandle in the right position

so it still comes down to the stick blade/lie preference and then cutting it to be appropate for your height.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well, flattest on the ice when stickhandling in front or to the side? Or when shooting?

I did notice when shooting pucks last weekend, something interesting with a P88 curve compared to P92. The P92 is longer, more open, and with a rockered toe and heel. The P88 is shorter, more closed, and with a flatter toe and heel. I'm used to the P92; cup the puck, lean, and snap hard when the puck crosses the body. But with the P88, there's a little more meat at the toe, and when you cup the puck, it's not sitting on the lip of the blade but touching the middle of the blade (vertically), and if you cup too much the middle raises off the ice. Whereas the P92 stays in contact when you cup it. That little extra at the toe might help add a bit of spin or a dip when shooting. Overall it does shoot a little slower and lower.

I don't know what all that means, but that's why it'd be fun to meet with a pro stick rep and talk shop.

Old
10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
ponder

I've played around with a lot of stick heights, and have settled on roughly collar bone height for myself (in skates).

As for the pros, they use a wide variety of stick heights, but I'd say almost virtually all would fall somewhere between upper chest and lips on skates, with most using sticks within a couple inches one way or the other from the adams apple. No official source on this, but whenever I watch games I try to take note of players stick lengths when they're standing on the ice but by the bench, with their sticks standing vertically (talking to the coach, teammates, etc.), and they mostly look to be about adam's apple height (gotta catch them when they're truly standing up straight, not slouching). Defensive dmen are an exception, some of them will use longer sticks as they favor pole checking over stick handling, and shorter guys will sometimes use longer sticks (and lower lies) to make up for a lack of reach. However, for a rule of thumb I'd start with a stick at adam's apple height (on skates) and work from there, cutting more or adding extensions as necessary.

As for whether NHLers having their blades flat on the ice when holding it with one hand, like the OP suggested:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
stand straight on your skates, and hold your stick with the top hand where the blade is flat on the ice with your arm straight down.
At the end of your hand is the point to cut it.
I'd say that's quite a bit shorter than most NHLers would use. Guys stand in this exact position during national anthems, and you'll notice their blades are almost always sitting up on the heels, not flat on the ice, like this:

In my opinion the blade should be flat on the ice when you're in a fairly "neutral" position - knees at their normal bend, both hands on the stick, stick angled to the side (not straight forward) with the blade slightly closed. This is roughly the position you'll be in for stick handling, passing and shooting, so basically you pretend you're about to pass, shoot or stick handle and see how your blade sits on the ice. If it's too much on the heel, cut your stick and/or go with a lower lie, if it's too much on the toe use a longer stick and/or lower lie.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Greeneye

The older I get the shorter my stick gets. I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere.

Greeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:

Actually, I happen to use a Sakic curve, lie 5.5. The blade is rockered like you said, so there's no way the tape wear will be even throughout the blade unless I close my face on the shot... Which apparently I'm not doing from time to time, or it's because I'm lazy and leave my blade heel on the ice when I skate.

Either way, I use a longer stick. It goes up to about my nose when I'm on skates, eyes when I'm barefeet. I'm a beginner, so my stick handling isn't good enough anyway to tell the difference between short/long stick.

Last edited by Wilch: 10-13-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old
10-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My blade usually gets worn fairly evenly...maybe a little more at the heel because I stickhandle more than I shoot. I do close my blade up because the curve is open and it lets me lean on the stick a little more to get more power out of my shots.

For me, the more open the curve, the higher lie, and the more you want to cup the puck when you shoot. Otherwise it will go way over the net.

Old
10-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Either way, I use a longer stick. It goes up to about my nose when I'm on skates, eyes when I'm barefeet. I'm a beginner, so my stick handling isn't good enough anyway to tell the difference between short/long stick.
That is a really long stick, especially for a beginner. If you were a really skilled, experienced defenseman, maybe a stick like that would work for you, but for a beginner that long a stick is not good IMO. In order to keep that stick positioned right on the ice, you're probably standing too upright and not bending properly, and you're probably carrying the puck farther away from your body than you should, which is making it harder for you to stick handle well. Longest I would ever go for a beginner would be up to chin on skates. A good friend of mine is an experienced youth coach, and he strongly advocates very short sticks for beginners to force them to bend into a proper power skating position.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
In practice it seems easier to play with a shorter stick but in games I seem to want them a bit longer. I've been able to use sticks 3" below the chin in practice but as soon as warmups hit I'm shanking every puck and have nothing.
Well, you were spot on with this. I played with the short stick today and it is too short. Adjusting too much, passes slipping off the heel, shot is just off, killing my back. Going back to a longer stick.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
That is a really long stick, especially for a beginner. If you were a really skilled, experienced defenseman, maybe a stick like that would work for you, but for a beginner that long a stick is not good IMO. In order to keep that stick positioned right on the ice, you're probably standing too upright and not bending properly, and you're probably carrying the puck farther away from your body than you should, which is making it harder for you to stick handle well. Longest I would ever go for a beginner would be up to chin on skates. A good friend of mine is an experienced youth coach, and he strongly advocates very short sticks for beginners to force them to bend into a proper power skating position.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try and get my hands on some tools (eventually). I already put a tackimac command grip on there, and have no idea how to remove that

Old
10-13-2011, 08:18 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Well, you were spot on with this. I played with the short stick today and it is too short. Adjusting too much, passes slipping off the heel, shot is just off, killing my back. Going back to a longer stick.
I think like anything its what you're used to... the lie and such and really I think the skating position....

funny you should ssay that, any little changes take time to get used to, but the most tangable difference you should feel is the benefit to stick handling.

That being said, shooting is very different... but I find that now that I load better, by keeping my legs bent and truely doing proper weightshifts and learning to load the stick better for same-footed wristers.... I'm a better overall player.

I also find that I am much better at getting my blade to the right spot, again compensating reach by skating instead.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
As for the pros, they use a wide variety of stick heights, but I'd say almost virtually all would fall somewhere between upper chest and lips on skates, with most using sticks within a couple inches one way or the other from the adams apple. No official source on this, but whenever I watch games I try to take note of players stick lengths when they're standing on the ice but by the bench, with their sticks standing vertically (talking to the coach, teammates, etc.), and they mostly look to be about adam's apple height (gotta catch them when they're truly standing up straight, not slouching).
Interesting observation. That's right about where mine is. Adams on skates, chin in bare feet. I'm going to play around with stick length again, but it just seems like that's my happy medium. Shorter than that and my top hand is only half on the stick for wrist shots and my poke check suffers. Longer and my stick handling gets noticeably worse than it already is.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:30 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Question - if my stick's too long, can I just grip down a bit to where it's supposed to be? I do this golf and it changes my shot completely. Wondering if gripping down rather tha cutting down would work?

Old
10-14-2011, 05:21 AM
vapor11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Question - if my stick's too long, can I just grip down a bit to where it's supposed to be? I do this golf and it changes my shot completely. Wondering if gripping down rather tha cutting down would work?
Would it work? Yes technically .. Would I recommend it? No.. Besides looking goofy it is a dangerous if you were to hit somebody with the end on accident..or look even goofier if you managed to hit yourself

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx0101 View Post
Would it work? Yes technically .. Would I recommend it? No.. Besides looking goofy it is a dangerous if you were to hit somebody with the end on accident..or look even goofier if you managed to hit yourself
Yep. I'm planning to cut it soon. I got a game tonight, and had work in the morning. I'll need to find some tools this weekend. I'm guessing I need to sandpaper it too after cutting the end off right? It's also going to be a pain in the ass getting rid of the tacki mac grip I stuck onto it

Old
10-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

$15 for a hacksaw, a couple blades, and a cheap miter box will work wonders. A little bit of sandpaper to smooth the edges is nice. Between that, a $10 rasp file, and a $30 heat gun, those are my essential stick tools (along with a lot of spare end plugs).

Old
10-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Right now, I'm using an 85 flex stick. I think I'll need to cut it down by about 2 inches. I'm guessing it puts the stick at about 94 if I take out 2 inches. I weight about 175lb standing at about 5'9.5. I wonder if that flex would be too much for me to handle? I'm guessing stick height is more important than flex? I guess I'll just need to work on my strength...

Old
10-15-2011, 03:59 PM
vapor11

I was thinking there is no way someone plays competitive hockey with a stick up to his chest and then I saw this picture..

It looks like he is playing with one of my old street hockey sticks

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Guffaw

You simply cannot handle the puck effectively if the top hand is above your waist. Now maybe you don't have to if your a Chris Pronger type of defensemen or a defensive forward, but scoring forwards really should maximize puck handling ability.

I did a test today. The stick I use to practice stick handling with in the garage is the same length as the sticks I use on the ice. I'm usually in sneakers though so the stick is effectively longer because my skates put me 2-3" above that. I did my normal stick handling drills for 15 min. Then I cut 2" off it so that it was effectively the same length as my ice sticks are when I'm on skates. The difference is night and day. More speed, more control, etc.

You don't handle the puck for 15-30min. during games. More like 1-2 min so you may not notice the difference as much. Run through back to back 10-15min. worth of stick handling drills either on or off ice with two different length sticks and you'll find out pretty quickly how the length of a stick affects your ability to handle the puck.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:26 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 84
I've thought a lot about this the last week. There is no rule of which is better, or where most pros cut their stick.

Some forwards like Datsyuk, Stamkos, Stall, Simmonds... I notice have a very long stick for their size. Just look where there hands are at and how much frickin length is there to the blade. I would believe most NHL'rs tend to be longer than the chin or lip with skates on.

Ovi and Malkin I see use short sticks. Sorry but don't know who is that from the Avs, amazing how short his stick looks.

I've played for 16 years and have been trying longer sticks. Past my eyebrows in shoes. I'm only 5'8 so I have Federov curve 4.5 lie I think. I love the feel and different type of control, hands extended more from the body. I could never go back to the "old-school" length below the chin. Definately I agree it's important to experiment for yourself to find what you like.

hockeyisforeveryone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Ovi and Malkin I see use short sticks. Sorry but don't know who is that from the Avs, amazing how short his stick looks.
He's Peter Forsberg.

Old
11-08-2011, 03:46 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I've always used a rather long stick (straight up, it's right at eye level) and recently, my coach had me switch to one that was about 5 inches shorter. I've noticed my stick handling is vastly improved (as are face-offs), but my shot absolutely sucks now. I skate pretty high up (not a huge knee bend, just can't seem to change that though) and I was thinking that had something to do with it, because I tried going back to my longer one, and my shooting was world's better.

Kinda confusing, but I'm just trying to figure out which stick I should be using. I've been playing center for one team where I'm good mostly for goals (Prep hockey, my line mates can't finish a thing so it's mostly been me shooting), but on another, I rarely ever touch the puck, and when I do, I really have to make it count (High school, and I'm pretty low in terms of skill compared to the rest of the league right now).

As a sidenote, for faceoffs, it's really a non factor, I just move my top hand down a bit to take it with the longer one.

So what should I use? Longer one, or shorter one?

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would practice with the shorter one, maybe cut your longer stick down a couple inches and get used to the shorter length. I will say I lost some velocity on my shot with a shorter stick but gained on puck control and a quicker release. I'm scoring more now on average.

Old
11-08-2011, 05:28 PM
r3cc0s

My sticks are about my collar bone with a 5deg lie...

If I use a 4 deg lie stick, I can almost extend that by 3-4 inches... its that dramatic

Personally though, a shorter stick really lets me handle the best, and principly keeps me in better hockey position (knee bend, hand positions) especially when the puck is close to my feet.

There are alot of NHLer's who have good hands with long sticks, and I think alot of the gritty guys will use a longer stick (likely with a lower lie angle) just to get something extra when fighting for the puck...

i.e. Ryan Clowe...
if you watch his documentary on youtube, you'll see he has a long stick, still has great hands, BUT... it does seem kinda awkward, but obviously works for him