HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Performance shirts/socks

Old
10-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Ozolinsh_27

vCash: 500
Performance shirts/socks

Hi,

I'm a recent convert from wearing generic tshirts and socks to using Underarmour tshirts under my shoulder pads, also using some Bauer skate socks. Wish I made this investment before! The league I play in just switched venues this year to a more modern one and the rinks are significantly warmer to play in compared to the old ones so I'm loving my new stuff.

Just wondering if anyone has any similar products they use/enjoy.

Opinions on other brands performance wear such as Reebok, Bauer shirts, or compression socks?

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:20 PM
vapor11

I wear an UA longsleeve and UA hockey skate socks(got a $20 giftcard when I purchased skates so I went with the socks)

I love them..especially the top..It makes me feel like a pro..I wear it to the gym also... I know some will be mad that have never used one but I have only washed the top once.. I air it out with my gear after use and it doesn't smell .. same with the socks.. never washed

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury

UA also makes some good performance socks. This is what I wear:

I also wear long sleeve UA gear under my shoulder pads but I hear Bauer makes some good stuff

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:17 PM
ThisIsOilCountry

I just wear a cheap set of the shirt and pants I got from Sears for $25. Does the same job as Under Armour, for a third of the price. Forever, I was using an old long sleeve t-shirt and a pair of long johns under my gear, but switched to this last Christmas. I like them because they keep me cool and I don't feel as hot, making for a more comfortable game! I don't wear any special socks, just regular ones.

ThisIsOilCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:39 PM
beth

I wear cheap performance t-shirts from Target, and Easton skate socks. I've got 4 pairs of the knee-high ones, and I think I need to get a few more since I'm wearing them all the time.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:02 AM
shoeshine boy

I like the new UA Charged Cotton shirts. I just picked up a couple of the longsleeve ones for the winter.
for socks I use Nike dri-fit soccer socks. they do the same job as "skate socks" for about half the price.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just picked up a new Champion compression shirt. The ones I had before were a little looser and never seemed to help. Curious to see how it works. Normally just wear a cotton muscle shirt.

For socks, I had the Easton socks and they worked nicely but I lost one and now I just use cheap thin Champion socks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Rink Bum

Use to wear any old t-shirt and socks. Soaking wet after each game.

Moved to long sleeve UA to keep cooler and keep my elbow pads in place. Also to keep something between pads and my skin.

Also purchased UA knee high socks when I picked up my skates as the sales rep said I should stick with the same sock. Before I would be wearing any sock I was wearing to a game. Also good for keeping my shin guards in place and something between my skin and the shin guards.

Got everything on sale - long term investment in a sport I love to play! All good!

Rink Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:04 PM
noobman

I haven't invested in any high performance shirts or bottoms yet (usually wear long underwear and an old t-shirt) but I have switched to hockey socks.

I started using gel pads on my feet, and needed the thin and ventilated sock to get my foot to fit in the boot. With the pads on my toes just graze the top of the boot, and more importantly the giant bony growth coming out of my heel no longer hurts like a mofo during and after games.

Besides, a fat guy like myself has no business wearing skin-tight *anything*

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah at over 25% body fat I'm not looking like a UA model right now. It's sad.

Old
10-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Before I changed over I use to be like, it can't be that big of a deal - but now I'm super happy I did. No more drenched regular cotton tshirts.

I have an abnormality in my right foot called accessory navicular bone that looks larger than my inside ankle bone that would rub against my skates -- so I switched to the Bauer Vapor performance skate sock which has all kinds of nice extra padding and helps stop the irritation I would usually get from my skates. for 15$ taxes in, its a nice little luxury.

I only have an underarmour t-shirt style that I'm still liking a lot, I am curious about the long sleeve versions though. I'd like to buy one to try that out too and see which I prefer.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:45 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx0101 View Post

I love them..especially the top..It makes me feel like a pro..I wear it to the gym also... I know some will be mad that have never used one but I have only washed the top once.. I air it out with my gear after use and it doesn't smell .. same with the socks.. never washed
Why on earth is this a point of pride? Throw the damn stuff in the wash, MRSA can be pretty serious stuff, and the shirt sits right next to your skin.

I have some cheapo performance socks and a reebok compression shirt. Feels much better than cotton does.

And you don't need to spend a lot. Despite Underarmour's marketing and markup, the stuff isn't all that complex to make, and there are off brands or even major brands priced a good deal lower that work just as well.

Also, for the guys claiming to be too fat, try it. It's not about appearance so much as it is about effectiveness. If the shirts are sitting against your skin, they're better at what they do. You'll stay cooler and more comfortable. You may not want to wear them out of the rink, but under your gear, why not?

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 06:38 PM
vapor11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Why on earth is this a point of pride? Throw the damn stuff in the wash, MRSA can be pretty serious stuff, and the shirt sits right next to your skin.
Not really a point of pride.. I have only owned my UA for about 2-3 months and I air my gear out next to a dehumidifier after every use.. I was just complimenting the fact that it doesn't smell like normal shirts would.. It is not like I am not washing it because I think that is the "cool" thing to do.. the material is really thin and elasticity... It is my first one and I am unsure of the durability and want to make it last

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Stickmata

I wear the Reebok short sleeve shirts, not compression, called speedwick I think. Love em. I've tried the thin performance socks but I keep going back to my favorite socks - Asics volleyball socks. Not too thick or thin, tight fit so no loose spots and they go up the leg under my shin pads.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:02 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I play shirtless and use these for socks: Wigwam Thermax Liner

My feet stay put, the socks stay put and don't get soggy. Plus they're really thin so I can get a little better feel on my skates.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx0101 View Post
Not really a point of pride.. I have only owned my UA for about 2-3 months and I air my gear out next to a dehumidifier after every use.. I was just complimenting the fact that it doesn't smell like normal shirts would.. It is not like I am not washing it because I think that is the "cool" thing to do.. the material is really thin and elasticity... It is my first one and I am unsure of the durability and want to make it last
You can wash it as often as you'd like, just don't use fabric softener because it can clog up the pores of the material. I stopped using fabric softener in favor of cheap white vinegar a couple years back and it works great for taking the smell out.

Old
10-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Guffaw

I like the Easton skate socks. I don't wear a shirt underneath. More weight, more heat, more restriction.

$5-$7 performance wear at Kohl's or Target FTW. "Moisture Wicking" is a marketing term used to charge you $30-$40 for a $5 polyester shirt.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote