HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#3 Kings @ Kovalchuk (Devils) 10/13/11 - POST GAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
10-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Clifford definately needs to be bringing more energy. No excuse for him to be invisible
I've been surprised with his lack of energy to start the season. He's had trouble getting the puck out of the zone too.

It's like the entire team has no energy, yet Murray is happy with their energy level at practice. Where is the disconnect?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Asheru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Kopitar line makes things happen. Unfortunately, they are the only line that makes things happen.
It's because Richards' line is always out against the toughest competition.

They either need to make the third line a full shutdown unit, or bring in offensive punch that turns it into a genuine scoring threat. It's only three games in, but it's neither fish or fowl.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I still think

Clifford - Loktionov - Stoll

is the 3rd line I would like to see.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Clifford definately needs to be bringing more energy. No excuse for him to be invisible
Wasn't noticeable in the pre-season and has done nothing so far. Needs to get it together.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
When are the Kings going to stop settling for moral victories and start performing?
When Murray is gone. Can't wait for his quotes after another poor effort.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Bandit

Quote:
When are the Kings going to stop settling for moral victories and start performing?
Hang on one sec, I've got that answer in a box on the shelf next to the cookies...

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

They are obviously quite a bit more top heavy this season. They desperately miss what Handzus and Simmonds provided on the 3rd line.

I am hopeful that Clifford can replace much of what Simmonds provided, but he is still really young and raw and will never be the offensive player Wayne is.

There is no one to replace what Handzus provided.

This team won the last two years with lots of balance, I think we will still win this year but it's not going to be nearly as balanced. We are a 2 line team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
It's because Richards' line is always out against the toughest competition.

They either need to make the third line a full shutdown unit, or bring in offensive punch that turns it into a genuine scoring threat. It's only three games in, but it's neither fish or fowl.
They can't make the 3rd line a stopper unit. They don't have the personnel to do it. That was one of the appeals of getting Richards, his Selke level defensive play. There is not a single player in the bottom 6 that you want out there against guys like Getzlaf, Datsyuk or Thornton. Yet another thing we miss about Handzus.

Get used to seeing MRichards against all those star centers.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:15 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
They are obviously quite a bit more top heavy this season. They desperately miss what Handzus and Simmonds provided on the 3rd line.

I am hopeful that Clifford can replace much of what Simmonds provided, but he is still really young and raw and will never be the offensive player Wayne is.

This team won the last two years with lots of balance, I think we will still win this year but it's not going to be nearly as balanced. We are a 2 line team.
Really a One line team Herby, cause Richards line matches up against top lines of other teams. Stoll,CLifford,Lewis,BR really need to pick it up on the bottom six. They have to start chipping in. Clifford has looked slow so far.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:16 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I love all the Handzus praise now.

How many of you said last season that watching him skate was like watching a guy with two wooden blocks on his feet? Some of the same people that are saying look how much we miss Handzus.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:17 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

How many of you said last season that watching him skate was like watching a guy with two wooden blocks on his feet? Some of the same people that are saying look how much we miss Handzus.
I didn't want Zus to go, he is a complete player.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:18 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:

Not me, but I think the term that you are looking for was "concrete skates"

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:19 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I didn't want Zus to go, he is a complete player.
He was a complete player - unless movement was involved ...

Old
10-13-2011, 09:20 PM
fyrescorp

Just reading the HF Devils board...

NJ fans calling Kings a "boring" team. New Jersey Devils fans calling the Kings boring.

I feel dirty.

fyrescorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:21 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

I'm done with excuses and rationalizations - either perform or GTFO. Let some young buck give it a shot!

Old
10-13-2011, 09:22 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrescorp View Post

NJ fans calling Kings a "boring" team. New Jersey Devils fans calling the Kings boring.

I feel dirty.
They are right

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:

Zus did look slow last year and was a bit frustrating, I will admit. But now that he is gone and Stoll has replaced him you start to notice all those little things he did, with the strength in the defensive zone and puck control in the offensive zone.

I was somewhat ok with him leaving because I thought it opened up a spot for Loktionov. With Loktionov in the minors I am now left wondering why he wasn't brought back.

I just don't get managements obsession with Stoll and why he plays so much.

Quote:
I'm done with excuses and rationalizations
Exactly. It get's tiresome.

Just win baby

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:24 PM
scramble91

Quote:
I still think

Clifford - Loktionov - Stoll

is the 3rd line I would like to see.
Ive been preaching this line for awhile now. Stoll would be better suited using his speed being the first on the forecheck, then have clifford clean up with the sneaky little russian hanging back in the F3 spot. Clifford isnt fast enough to get there. He played well with Richie and Simmonds since both players have speed.

Its been pretty painful watching our 3rd and 4th lines all 3 games. And we cant knock on the richards line, he is the match up guy.

I am actually optimistic with the Top 2 lines and Defense. Top line is all over the place and the 2nd line is pretty solid and will just get better once Richards can find brown and penner spots. Drew was all over tonight which was great to see. THey had a few blunders on the dside, but the forwards just turned it over way too many times (could have been the bad ice).

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

This team won the last two years with lots of balance, I think we will still win this year but it's not going to be nearly as balanced. We are a 2 line team.
This is the biggest problem for Murray. He demands that everyone play the same board to dot style and it worked better when the Kings had Kopitar and everyone else. When the Kings had 2 third lines, the game style flowed a little better. But it is wildly inconsistent because it relies on too much luck and bounces.

Even though the Kings can ice a complete hockey team, Murray still wants 2 third lines and the same board to dot style. The Kings should play a possession game with the current lineup.

The Kings had several shifts of the Kopitar line agains the NJ 4th line and there was no change in the attacking style. Kopitar's line should have destroyed that matchup, yet you couldn't tell by their on ice play when they had the matchup. Frustrating.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:26 PM
fyrescorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
They are right
I think that's why....

fyrescorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:28 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
This is the biggest problem for Murray. He demands that everyone play the same board to dot style and it worked better when the Kings had Kopitar and everyone else. When the Kings had 2 third lines, the game style flowed a little better. But it is wildly inconsistent because it relies on too much luck and bounces.

Even though the Kings can ice a complete hockey team, Murray still wants 2 third lines and the same board to dot style. The Kings should play a possession game with the current lineup.

The Kings had several shifts of the Kopitar line agains the NJ 4th line and there was no change in the attacking style. Kopitar's line should have destroyed that matchup, yet you couldn't tell by their on ice play when they had the matchup. Frustrating.
Kopi's line was fine, you are simply nit picking to pop shots at Murray. NJ did a good job of keeping the Kings on the outside with sticks and bodies in the lanes.

You don't get into the crease or between the dots anymore in this NHL teams are dropping four guys in that area now. Kopi's line had plenty of possession. Murray can't make passes for them. I counted three times JW pass the puck in the crease with about 4 NJ players there. Pretty sure Murray is not telling him to do that.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrescorp View Post

I feel dirty.
That's because it's Terry Murray hockey. Slow the game down and fall asleep. One goal games is what Murray is all about, the lower the total score the better.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:29 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:

I had him skating like he was dragging an anchor.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
I had him skating like he was dragging an anchor.
Penner has taken over that anchor-role.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:31 PM
nki

the Kings might not be a perfect team, but we can't really cry about personnel anymore if the PP or scoring sucks or the team fails to perform, I imagine Murray is on a shorter leash now compared to when we had Parse and Stoll in our top 6.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Kopi's line was fine, you are simply nit picking to pop shots at Murray. NJ did a good job of keeping the Kings on the outside with sticks and bodies in the lanes.

You don't get into the crease or between the dots anymore in this NHL teams are dropping four guys in that area now.
Murray does a great job keeping the Kings to the outside. It's now the fourth season for Murray and the players keep getting better, yet the same problems continue. Why? Did you see Kopitar glued to the half wall in OT? Why? The middle is open, yet he's shooting from the wall.

Stoll is just fine as the third line center. Handzus wouldn't make a difference and I'm glad he's gone. The Kings only gave up one goal tonight and it wasn't the Stoll line out there. I thought the third line had some of the best shifts after the first period.