HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Walking Dead (Habs lose 4-1 in home opener)

Old
10-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Adam91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Blowmez is back
He left?

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Jesse Pinkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Really? I mean, come on, did you watch the game? He never shot the puck last year and always went for the cross-ice pass or something crazy. Tonight he took shots and went to the front of the net for rebounds.

He won almost 65% of his faceoffs according to a post from earlier, which are outstanding numbers in the dot. He set up his linemates once or twice for goals tonight but Gionta especially was simply off his game. Aside from a couple fanned passes there is nothing to complain about Gomez tonight. His all around game was solid.
Until he starts putting points on the board and actually creating scoring chances that end up in goals, my opinion will change on him. Until then, he's the same player that is good in between both blue lines, and not once he crosses it.

Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:38 PM
sheed36

I know how we can fix the PP.. We need to play Pleks more on the point.. As JM tried that this year yet?

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
HomaridII

Well .. was at the game .. what a waste of $$

Not in the mood to write a long summary, but in short:

Gomez was a complete disaster, you all know the drill.

Plekanec on the PP is beyond horrible, wtf is Martin thinking, seriously, it is embarrassing.

Welcome to the NHL Diaz, you WILL struggle against forechecking teams, you need to learn NOT to panic.

I thought Gionta gave his usual A+ effort, but wasn't very good in this game.

Gill was beyond horrible, painful to watch.

Emelin was our best defenseman. Weber had a good game also when compared to the rest.

Subban looked pissed off the entire game, he just looked off, played pissed off.

Price was down way early on the first two goals, great shots, but he was down early IMO.

I thought Eller had a good game, best of our forwards, he needs to play with better linemates.

Cole REALLY struggled tonight with the puck, a couple of good hits and good forechecking pressure, but with the puck he was a disaster.

That is it for now.

HomaridII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

2nd straight home opener I go to, second straight loss.

Really disappointed in Cole tonight. Price wasn't so good either. Hats off to Martin for putting Moen back on with Gomez-Gionta, because ya know, that worked so well last year. Moron.

And ROFL at the Gomez bashing tonight. You people are so ****ing predictable, and clueless. He made several great plays in his own end to jumpstart the offence and crashed the net consistently, but hey, we lost, let's pin the loss on him because our limited knowledge of how hockey works fails us.

On the plus side: Eller looked great, and I thought Diaz made some good strides.

Too pissed off to gather any more thoughts right now.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Good grief. It starts all over again... making excuses for the lack of results by Gomez. Why is it ALWAYS the fault of his linemates.
Stop with the whiny pessimism. Please state how Gomez had a bad game tonight and how you believe his linemates were good if you don't agree. I'd like to see your argument, especially for Gionta.

My God, it's the third game and people are already going crazy...

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs13

Ah more of the same! Still no effort, still nobody in front of the other team's goalie, still too many bodies crashing Price, still no grit, still too much Moen on the top line and still no killer instinct!

Mod edit:

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-13-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment
Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:39 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
3 ex coaches on AC saying the same thing. Get Pleks off the point on the PP and put Weber there. Why does JM not listen.
JM is trying to get Pleks comfortable there because he can't rely on Subban for everything, all the time. Pleks has vision and would make other teams change their gameplan. It's called coaching.

JM's in-game adjustments are horrible though, when it wasn't working he should've scrapped it but the idea behind it is still fine. Either they hammer it through in practice or they scrap the idea, no more trial-and-error in games

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:40 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Gomez is an elite center.

His vision and defensive acumen should be good on the point.

Darche-Desharnais-Moen
Gomez-Plekanec

New PP lines for next game.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:40 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf1n1te View Post
Until he starts putting points on the board and actually creating scoring chances that end up in goals, my opinion will change on him. Until then, he's the same player that is good in between both blue lines, and not once he crosses it.
Well, he did create scoring chances many times in the first three games. I vividly remember Gionta fanning on two of them. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I guess. I just find it silly how no one has any reasons of how Gomez sucked tonight, only that "same old Gomez was super lame tonight omgz!"

Old
10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
habsrule22

If it will make feel better - The professor in Tampa also lost tonight

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:42 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Well, he did create scoring chances many times in the first three games. I vividly remember Gionta fanning on two of them. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I guess. I just find it silly how no one has any reasons of how Gomez sucked tonight, only that "same old Gomez was super lame tonight omgz!"
Wanna know why Gomez sucked?
Turn-overs.
No results on the fore-check.
Found himself alone in front of the goalie (good) and then found himself in front of an open net TWICE (good) and missed twice (Gomez).
Bad angle weak shots breaking up and ruining offensive pressure.
Predictable.
Him and his line were a big minus on the night.
He also did not gain the zone very effectively tonight.
He did absolutely nothing on the power-play.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:42 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
2nd straight home opener I go to, second straight loss.

Really disappointed in Cole tonight. Price wasn't so good either. Hats off to Martin for putting Moen back on with Gomez-Gionta, because ya know, that worked so well last year. Moron.

And ROFL at the Gomez bashing tonight. You people are so ****ing predictable, and clueless. He made several great plays in his own end to jumpstart the offence and crashed the net consistently, but hey, we lost, let's pin the loss on him because our limited knowledge of how hockey works fails us.

On the plus side: Eller looked great, and I thought Diaz made some good strides.

Too pissed off to gather any more thoughts right now.
I'm so thankful there are some posters who can see the ridiculousness in this. Everyone is whining about "Same old Gomez" and he was definitely one of our better players tonight.

The blame the guy gets for other players sucking is ridiculous during these first three games. He dominated in faceoffs, played very well defensively and charged the net many times. Guy was definitely the best on his line, without a doubt.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Or rather:

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cole
Pacioretty-Eller-Gionta
Darche-Gomez-Desharnais
Moen-Engqvist-Palushaj

Emelin-Diaz
Gorges-Subban
Gill-Weber

Price
Budaj

As for the PP lines:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Diaz-Subban

Cole-Eller-Desharnais
Gorges-Weber

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:45 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
3 ex coaches on AC saying the same thing. Get Pleks off the point on the PP and put Weber there. Why does JM not listen.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."
--Steve Jobs

Habs are like Apple, selling an overpriced product and people just keep on wanting more.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:45 PM
TheBuriedHab

lol at people making Gomez a scape goat. The dude played well tonight. Get over your blind hate. Diaz was very good tonight too. He impressed me a lot.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:46 PM
HomaridII

BTW since there appears to be a discussion about Gomez (I am shocked) here is why I didn't like his game tonight -

2-3 weak bad angle shots, when he could have passed it back to the point. Now its not only that he took bad angle shots, but that he took them up high, at least if he had shot at the pads you could say he was looking for a rebound opportunity, but no, straight at Kipper's huge chest and more than once.

Too many times takes the puck, flies by his wingers, then dumps it in with nobody chasing along the boards, kills momentum, useless. He needs to slow down and wait for his wingers. He can't play by himself.

Had a few turnovers in the offensive zone passing to nobody. 2-3 of them he wasn't even under pressure.

etc...

HomaridII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Beakermania*

The only bad play by Gomez was the goal by Moss.

On the goal moss scored... it was a 2 on 2 and both Gill and PK had their man.... then Moss beat Gomez and snuck through to make it 3-1 Calgary.

Other than that, Gomez played a decent game.

Considering all the other mistakes our team made today... Gomez doesn't deserve this much hate.

Edit: I'd have to see the replay again, but that might have even been Gionta, and not Gomez.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Stop with the whiny pessimism. Please state how Gomez had a bad game tonight and how you believe his linemates were good if you don't agree. I'd like to see your argument, especially for Gionta.

You don't get it man.

Gomez doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore. Gionta, Subban and Gill do - they perform most of the time and they carry their weight in all respects - regular season, leadership, clutchness, playoffs, contract.

Gomez hasn't and he's coming of a career WORST year, there is no margin of error for him anymore - We have NO faith in him.

Gionta can have a bad game, and I'll say "meh, it's okay". Gomez can have a normal "gomez" game and it'll be considered bad and people will make reference to it. That's how it is.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Or rather:

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cole
Pacioretty-Eller-Gionta
Darche-Gomez-Desharnais
Moen-Engqvist-Palushaj

Emelin-Subban
Gorges-Diaz
Gill-Weber

Price
Budaj

As for the PP lines:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Diaz-Subban

Cole-Eller-Desharnais
Gorges-Weber

Impossible one of Darche or Moen must be on the ice at all times.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Bullsmith

I really, really missed Hamr tonight. Bunch of Markov wannabe's back there. Gill and Emelin excepted, but they had their own problems.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
The only bad play by Gomez was the goal by Moss.

On the goal moss scored... it was a 2 on 2 and both Gill and PK had their man.... then Moss beat Gomez and snuck through to make it 3-1 Calgary.

Other than that, Gomez played a decent game.

Considering all the other mistakes our team made today... Gomez doesn't deserve this much hate.
When you are the highest priced player on the team. When you cost the team a top prospect that is desperately needed on this time currently. There are expectations.

He deserves the hate. He deserves to be booed endlessly. Instead, he collects a humongous paycheck and delivers nothing.

Old
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Ah more of the same! Still no effort, still nobody in front of the other team's goalie, still too many bodies crashing Price, still no grit, still too much Moen on the top line and still no killer instinct!

Mod edit:
So, what you'r saying is you didnt watch the game.

If there's one thing they did well is that, in 2nd and 3rd they were crashing the net on pretty much every shot at Kipper.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I love Eller. That's all I'll say.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:49 PM
HCH

Quote:

Please stop telling me not to express my opinion. I am not pessimistic, I just happen to think that Gomez did not have a good game. He plays on the periphery most of the time waiting for the puck to squirt loose. He will dart into a scrum but quickly moves out of it. His shots are weak, from bad angles or from a long way out. He makes a ton of low percentage passes that leave his wingers trapped and going the wrong way when they don't work out. He circles lazily rather than changing directions when there is a turnover. He doesn't cover for his defensemen when they carry the puck in deep and is invariably the last man back.

He is the anti-Plekanec on this team but he does skate faster through the neutral zone.

I think you get the idea.

I didn't say his linemates played well but I don't think the play of his linemates should be an excuse for his own play. I'm sorry if I am holding him to a higher standard but he should be a team leader and his on ice effort should reflect that.

On the plus side, he won 65% of his face-offs.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote