HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Walking Dead (Habs lose 4-1 in home opener)

Old
10-13-2011, 09:50 PM
vad87

vCash: 500
''Sortir la rondelle par le centre au lieu du milieu de la glace'' WTF Martin is talking about?!?!

vad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
When you are the highest priced player on the team. When you cost the team a top prospect that is desperately needed on this time currently. There are expectations.

He deserves the hate. He deserves to be booed endlessly. Instead, he collects a humongous paycheck and delivers nothing.
When he has a bad game, i'll be the first to criticize him.....

Tonight there were many,, many more problems to focus on than Scott Gomez.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:51 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Wanna know why Gomez sucked?
Turn-overs.
No results on the fore-check.
Found himself alone in front of the goalie (good) and then found himself in front of an open net TWICE (good) and missed twice (Gomez).
Bad angle weak shots breaking up and ruining offensive pressure.
Predictable.
Him and his line were a big minus on the night.
He also did not gain the zone very effectively tonight.
He did absolutely nothing on the power-play.
How many turnovers? Two? I noticed those, but they weren't bad turnovers in bad areas, and never resulted in anything harmful. God forbid somehow turns the puck over. Subban turned it over easily five times tonight, and there are more people whining about Gomez. Simply clueless!

Gomez was playing great positional hockey all night as you pointed out. He took 4 shots tonight, tied for most on the team. Won about 65% of his faceoffs if I remember correctly. when did he ever somewhat dominate the faceoff circle and take shots when he had the oppurtunity last season? According to this board, never, so it was good to see him play well offensively.

Defensively, he made multiple solid breakout passes and was a -1 on the night. Or as someone like you would refer to it, "a big minus on the night" even if the game happened to be 4-1 for the other team. He played well on the powerplay, didn't do anythign wrong that's for sure, and your remark about "doing nothing" on the powerplay can be more attributed to mediocre play by teammates than himself, don't you think?

Anyways, it's fun to explain this step by step, but I don't think I can change the mind of whiny pessimists on this board because they have all made up their mind about Gomez before he even puts on his skates.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:53 PM
LeHab

Quote:
When you are the highest priced player on the team. When you cost the team a top prospect that is desperately needed on this time currently. There are expectations.

He deserves the hate. He deserves to be booed endlessly. Instead, he collects a humongous paycheck and delivers nothing.
Blame people who brought him here, habs knew exactly what they were getting at the time of the trade and they still proceeded.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Impossible one of Darche or Moen must be on the ice at all times.

Martin seems to like doing the opposite of fan reactions.

"Stop mixing up the lines!" - changes every line everytime we don't score on a shift.

"Take Plekanec off the point!" - Leaves him on there even though it's clearly not working.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:55 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
You don't get it man.

Gomez doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore. Gionta, Subban and Gill do - they perform most of the time and they carry their weight in all respects - regular season, leadership, clutchness, playoffs, contract.

Gomez hasn't and he's coming of a career WORST year, there is no margin of error for him anymore - We have NO faith in him.

Gionta can have a bad game, and I'll say "meh, it's okay". Gomez can have a normal "gomez" game and it'll be considered bad and people will make reference to it. That's how it is.
Look at it this way: Look at the posters saying Gomez had a good game tonight. Mostly level-headed and respectable posters on this site, right? (Not including me, I'm a nobody)
Now look at those claiming Gomez sucked tonight. It's all the knee-jerk fans that want to blow the team up after a loss, save for a few knowledgeable fans with reasonable arguments.

Read my previous post on Gomez's game tonight and what some of the more intelligent posters had to say about him. I understand what you're saying, but Gomez didn't have a normal "Gomez" game, it was simply a solid game by him. Not bad, not amazing. Just solid.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:56 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:

He deserves to be booed because a GM gave him a stupid contract? Should he have turned it down?

And he should be booed because our GM inexplicably gave up one of our best prospects for him? Ya, makes sense.

Our fanbase makes me facepalm.

Yea he had an awful season last year, and hes to blame. But he comes out this year and has an ok start, so we should boo him mercilessly? Yeah thats going to help him do better. And people wonder why most players shy away from coming here.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Well .. was at the game .. what a waste of $$

Not in the mood to write a long summary, but in short:

Gomez was a complete disaster, you all know the drill.

Plekanec on the PP is beyond horrible, wtf is Martin thinking, seriously, it is embarrassing.

Welcome to the NHL Diaz, you WILL struggle against forechecking teams, you need to learn NOT to panic.

I thought Gionta gave his usual A+ effort, but wasn't very good in this game.

Gill was beyond horrible, painful to watch.

Emelin was our best defenseman. Weber had a good game also when compared to the rest.

Subban looked pissed off the entire game, he just looked off, played pissed off.

Price was down way early on the first two goals, great shots, but he was down early IMO.

I thought Eller had a good game, best of our forwards, he needs to play with better linemates.

Cole REALLY struggled tonight with the puck, a couple of good hits and good forechecking pressure, but with the puck he was a disaster.

That is it for now.
He was for sure!!!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

and you know what, you could boo him 24/7 and he'd still get his paycheck...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:57 PM
LesHabsRock

Can someone tell me what happened? I get home from playing hockey and see Habs outshoot them badly including 13-1 in the 3rd period. How did they get killed on the scoreboard?

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Et le But

Well the good news is Eller is back.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
I just don't understand..

We're losing 4-1, why not experiment with the clearly HORRIFIC POWERPLAY. Jacques Martin juggles the lines (stupidly I might add).. and yet he keeps the powerplay units in tact.

Why not try Emelin on the point of the PP?
Why not give Eller a chance on the PP as a center?
Why not give Eller some offensive wingers?

I would've demoted Gomez and tried to see what Eller could do with some offensive wingers.

I would've realized my PP sucks ass and put my best center back down on the half-boards. I might try that offensive D from the KHL to run the PP and see what he brings to it.
Emelin has been atrocious all game long, the kid doesnt deserve to be in the line-up, even less on the PP..

Eller will be back down the middle, JM just wants to give all the chances to Gomer and DD to succeed, its pretty soon in the season, thats why you wont see drastic changes right now..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Megaforce

Somebody drop some John Kordic's vitamins into the water supply. These guys need to bulk up big time...buncha fleas, Gionta, Darche Desharnais.. I mean.. they looks like they got called up from Bantam.....

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Can someone tell me what happened? I get home from playing hockey and see Habs outshoot them badly including 13-1 in the 3rd period. How did they get killed on the scoreboard?
Calgary was a lot more opportunistic than us. Every chance seemed to squirt an inch wide of the net or off the post. One of those nights.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Look at it this way: Look at the posters saying Gomez had a good game tonight. Mostly level-headed and respectable posters on this site, right? (Not including me, I'm a nobody)
Now look at those claiming Gomez sucked tonight. It's all the knee-jerk fans that want to blow the team up after a loss, save for a few knowledgeable fans with reasonable arguments.

Read my previous post on Gomez's game tonight and what some of the more intelligent posters had to say about him. I understand what you're saying, but Gomez didn't have a normal "Gomez" game, it was simply a solid game by him. Not bad, not amazing. Just solid.
Solid? You are kidding right? I don't know if he sucked but he wasn't solid, just a Gomez type of game...meh

Old
JohnLennon

Quote:

I was taking your posts more seriously until this. Come on, man, that's just silly. Nobody deserves that and you're kidding yourself if you actually believe this. His paycheck is massive and nobody says he deserves his pay, but we are talking about how he had a solid game tonight and of course someone has to bring in how he is overpaid so a solid game will just not cut it.

The guy can completely dominate the ice for a full season and still it can be argued he doesn't deserve the paycheck. But it's not an issue with this team because we have lots of cap room right now.

He is certainly not costing the team a prospect right now, I don't even get that statement. Point is no one deserves to be booed, he is our second line center and we all know he has the talent. Booing doesn't help and if you got offered that contract, you would take it as well.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Teufelsdreck

The 19 men who played tonight were mostly an embarrassment. Price didn't have a good game but he wasn't as bad as most of the Dmen in front of him. Gorges isn't back in form after his long absence and when he killed penalties with Weber or Gill, the Flames had an easy time. Gill shouldn't have been re-signed and Weber looks like a hybrid of a defensively weak Dman and a mediocre RW. Subban has regressed to the days when Martin benched him. Only Emelin and Diaz played decently. Cole, Gionta, and Gomez have been total disappointments. A few weeks ago I predicted that Kostitsyn would pot more goals than Cole. So far, Andrei leads. Also, he didn't botch the clearing attempt that led to the 4th goal; Cole Slaw did. The brave talk about a comeback by Gomez amounts to a gust of cold Alaskan wind (I almost said hot air but that would have been meteorologically incorrect). And Gionta? Are the Bruins paying him to stink out the joint? Eller played better than I thought he would and I expect further improvement. Plekanec played hard but didn't get much support. I still wish Desharnais were a more robust specimen. Pacioretty played much better than his usual linemates. Moen and Darche were their usual selves. AK showed why it would be ill advised to trade him.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

380$ down the ****ing drain... what a lackluster.

The GF got a taste of how it is in the Bell Center within the first 2 minutes.... then she got a taste of how boring it can get...

WTF was that ? We outshot them by a wide margin, but it was all BS shots that any EHL goalie could sotp... very ****ing meh.

/drunken 10$ molson ex post
PS: if you count the food and beer, make it a good 500$ :S

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:01 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Emelin has been atrocious all game long, the kid doesnt deserve to be in the line-up, even less on the PP..

Eller will be back down the middle, JM just wants to give all the chances to Gomer and DD to succeed, its pretty soon in the season, thats why you wont see drastic changes right now..
I don't know what game you were watching, did he end up -3 tonight...atrocious right, lol

Old
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

I wouldnt say atrocious, but it shows that his new to the NHL for sure.

our best D tonight was Weber IMO and our worst were Subban and Gill, the former still trying to do it all by himself, the latter well...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
380$ down the ****ing drain... what a lackluster.

The GF got a taste of how it is in the Bell Center within the first 2 minutes.... then she got a taste of how boring it can get...

WTF was that ? We outshot them by a wide margin, but it was all BS shots that any EHL goalie could sotp... very ****ing meh.

/drunken 10$ molson ex post
PS: if you count the food and beer, make it a good 500$ :S
I feel your pain, brother.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I wouldnt say atrocious, but it shows that his new to the NHL for sure.

our best D tonight was Weber IMO and our worst were Subban and Gill, the former still trying to do it all by himself, the latter well...
Our worst D tonight were the forwards who didn't support the defencemen at all.

How many 3 on 2s down low did the Flames get?

Way too many fwds standing and watching.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ScottFC

Quote:
I just don't understand..

We're losing 4-1, why not experiment with the clearly HORRIFIC POWERPLAY. Jacques Martin juggles the lines (stupidly I might add).. and yet he keeps the powerplay units in tact.

Why not try Emelin on the point of the PP?
Why not give Eller a chance on the PP as a center?
Why not give Eller some offensive wingers?

I would've demoted Gomez and tried to see what Eller could do with some offensive wingers.

I would've realized my PP sucks ass and put my best center back down on the half-boards. I might try that offensive D from the KHL to run the PP and see what he brings to it.
Its only the 3rd game of the season... the lines havent even had a chance to click with eachother and create real chemistry so switching the lines and shuffling players will only cause confusion and be worst. Give them a chance and remember that the ultimate goal is to get in and compete in the playoffs (not to be the next Sharks or Capitals) and team chemistry has alot to do with that. Also there are alot of teams that don't do too well at the begining of the season but start picking it up around the 10 game mark so we should have a better view then of how this team will really look like this season.

ScottFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Solid? You are kidding right? I don't know if he sucked but he wasn't solid, just a Gomez type of game...meh
Yea, he was solid. I think that's a fair assessment. He was 65% in faceoffs, played very well defensively, made some nice passes and took 4 shots. He charged the net a lot for a change and made the most of his crappy linemates. I don't want to get into it too much but I think he was good tonight.

Of course, the rest of the team I was comparing him to was pretty mediocre. But I definitely don't see the harm in saying he had a solid game tonight.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:05 PM
habsrule22

as long as the teams to we are to contend with for a playoff spot keep losing, we can wait for our injured players to come back

habsrule22 is online now   Reply With Quote