HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Martin have a plan

Old
10-13-2011, 09:41 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Does Martin have a plan

Just wondering?

He seems to do more shuffling than a Vegas blackjack dealer.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:45 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He has a hard-time thinking when 21 273 voices invade those satellite ears of his.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Coldplay
Courage

He does have a plan!

And it revolves around Travis Moen.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
His plan is to bore me to death.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Bullsmith

Does he have a roster?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Zaide
Mind over Matter

His plan ?

Zaide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
StellerEller

vCash: 351
Plekanec and Eller should be the centres for the powerplay. At the very least, take Plek off the point. We need weber-subban and diaz-gorges(?) on the points. I hope eller keeps up his play, because he looked really good tonight depsite the score.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
JohnLennon

It seems like what we like to do is come out strong during the beginning of the game, score a quick goal or two, and play defensive, opportunistic hockey for the rest of thew game. I don't mind this style of play, it got us far in the playoffs that's for sure!

If we are lucky enough to have minimal injuries this season, we have a deep enough lineup top ensure our transition game is as solid as possible and our play in our own zone will be outstanding if Price can play like he did last season.

I don't have an issue with how Martin coaches, I think many of his decisions make sense. For example, promoting Moen was pretty much an example of playing the hot hand. The guy proceeded to score a goal and add an assist. Made sense against the Jets!

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Christ this team is boring. Mostly because of the players themselves, but Jacques is the perfect compliment to them. I can see why we hired him.

Thank god for Eller and AK. The only reason Habs games will be watchable, whether we win or lose.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Beakermania*

I think the plan is that the players don't **** the bed out there.

Unfortunately... the players couldn't execute that plan today.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:30 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Thank God this is the last year of JM's contract.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:33 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Christ this team is boring. Mostly because of the players themselves, but Jacques is the perfect compliment to them. I can see why we hired him.

Thank god for Eller and AK. The only reason Habs games will be watchable, whether we win or lose.
AK sucked after that first period!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Thank God this is the last year of JM's contract.
I thought he signed for 5 years?

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:00 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

PG & JM's plan is make the playoffs. Unlikely we win the Cup because we don't aim that high. But the soporific style will probably squeak us into the playoffs. IMO that's the plan: play the odds and make the playoffs.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

And here I thought that the signing of Cole would add some much needed depth for the Top 6 in case one suffered an injury... Moen on the first line again? Ahead of AK, Eller and/or Desharnais? Really?

It looked like Sutter had the last change. Every time Gomez stepped on the ice, he made sure to change his lines to put Iginla and Tanguay against him... and it worked!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:05 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

We're tanking without the tanking. This season is pretty much a learning season to get our under-25 core experience. We have 11 guys 25 or under right now who will all get better with experience. The downside is we have Gomez locked up for two more years after this. Hopefully we can pawn him off in the off-season or at the deadline. Gionta/Markov will be good mentors going into the future though. It seems to me like Martin's plan is to get this team ready for the next coach.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
No doubt you preferred Cole and Gionta. Maybe AK was turned off by what he saw from his inept teammates.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:25 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

I will no longer call JM by his initials. No, he earned a new nickname tonight. And in keeping with hockey tradition, his new name is.......

Jacques ONE TIMER Martin

One time, Plekanec looked good at the point so he stays there.

One time, Moen scored a goal on the top line so he stays there.

One time, Gill did not cough up the puck or get caught at the blue line as a forward streaked toward Price so he gets top pairing.

One time, A Kostitsyn made a mistake and now will never see the top two lines again.

One time, Martin grimaced after a penalty and now does it every time.

One time, Price gave up more than 4 goals so he stays in the whole game even if he is not having his best game.

One time, Martin actually thought that his old and tired system of hockey was actually effective so we see the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over.

One time, I changed channels to watch something else other than the Canadiens and did it again tonight to watch the Cardinals vs the Brewers.

How in the hell can Molson keep this crap coach and the crap GM who did basically nothing in the offseason except get us a forward who used to be at ONE TIME a legitimate top 6 forward.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:03 AM
G0bias

Please no more Darche or Derharnais on the PP. Specially not as a center. I like the kid but it's as if JM relies on him as a go-to guy.

I'd say put Plekanec back at the half boards where he should be, Cole down low to dig up those pucks in the corners with Kostitsyn in the slot and Subban-Weber on the points.

G0bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:07 AM
stubbadub

He mixes up the lines so much so that video coaches can't catch on to our plays (or lack thereof)

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:18 AM
OneSharpMarble

JM's Plan...

Step 1 - Carey Price

Step 2 - If Step 1 fails look confused.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:

At least no one can say you're a bandwagon hater.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Posted this in the PGT, I guess I'll just quote it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Now that PK is having a rather average-weak start, Gill's lack of skills and speed is being even more exposed. They need to be split up. Put PK with Gorges. Make Gill play with Diaz as our bottom pairing, and keep Weber with Emelin.
Weber and Gorges have been our best Dmen by far so far this year.

Up front, you would have thought that Martin would have learned after MaxPac's comments last year. If you're going to call an offensively skilled prospect, make him play with top players. What is the purpose of calling up Palushaj to make him play with Engqvist? While Moen and Darche get to enjoy playing with our more skilled players...
I don't care if Martin wants to keep playing both these bottom liners with our more skilled players, although I think it's stupid, but if you're gonna do that, then don't call up Palushaj. Call up a 4th liner type.

This was Eller's first game, but I thought he was one of our best player. I'm so pumped that we got this kid, he's going to be a beast. If Martin makes him play as little as last year, I'm gonna be really pissed. It was only one game, but he needs more than 11min of ice time, and don't waste his talent on the 4th line. At least Martin started moving him up later in the game. Now, if he can get his weirdly shaped head out of his butt and realize Eller is a center, it would be another step in the right direction.

I don't think it's as bad as plenty will say. I don't think the Flames won, I feel the Habs lost.

The defensive coverage of our forwards tonight was extremely poor. They left our D alone quite often.

And again, re-signing Gill over Hammer was such a mistake. Gimme Hammer for an extra year with another million any time over Gill. He looks horrible.

Our lack of discipline also needs to be fixed, but what's more annoying is that the penalties were taken by Darche, Gionta (x2), and Gill. I can understand if youngsters take penalties, they're young, they're adapting, and it's all part of the development. But two dumb penalties from your captain, and another one from your assitant, is just unacceptable.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:51 AM
One Trick Pony

Everyday he's shuffling

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Jacques Martin's apparent game plan.

Lines: Use a strong defensive unit to counter opposing team's best players as primary matchup line.
Moen-Plekanec-Cole (best defensive center, 2nd and 3rd best defensive wingers (Gionta best)
Use proven line as primary offensive unit and 2nd matchup line
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Assemble strong offensive third line to take relatively large amount of even strength icetime against weaker opponents.
Kostitsyn-Desharnais-Darche
Exile most uncertain players to limited minutes on the 4th line. If Eller plays well promote later in the game.
Eller-Engqvist-Palushaj.

Power play:
Use players with stronger track record of powerplay production over those with weaker

Power play performance over the past 4 years.
Desharnais
Points per 60 minutes 5 on 4: 5.33
Team Goals per 60 minutes 5 on 4: 8.38

Darche:
Points per 60 minutes 5 on 4: 5.33
Team Goals per 60 minutes 5 on 4: 10.63

Cole:
Points per 60 minutes 5 on 4: 2.65
Team Goals per 60 minutes 5 on 4: 5.73

Some of these decisions proved wrong but if you look for them you can find the reasons. Personally I would have gone with Kostitsyn on the first line, Eller centering the third line from the start and Moen down on the fourth. As well as a Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cole/Subban-Weber first PP unit (replace Weber with Emelin on the second) and subbed out Cole with someone else if it wasn't working. But that doesn't mean the coach's reasons are as unfathomable as some of you make them out to be.

Plekanec on the point definitely should be scraped though.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 10-14-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote