HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#3 Kings @ Kovalchuk (Devils) 10/13/11 - POST GAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
10-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Ollie Weeks

vCash: 500
We'll give it a bit. The teams strong enough that in time it should be producing even in spite of Murray's game plan. Chemistry will come. So far at times we've seen the Kings play a game that's far and away better than what we watched last year, they need to eliminate the lulls in intensity somehow, anyhow.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:21 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Exactly.

It's hard for Murray to let the Richards line open things up when he is matched up with Parise and Elias. But he has no other choice, unless you want to see the Stoll line or the Lewis line matched up against the other teams top centers, ya didn't think so.

If the Kings had a true stopper 3rd line they wouldn't have to match up Richards with the other teams best players, but we don't have that luxury. Hard to blame Murray for that, he can only do so much with the pitiful state of the bottom lines.
Which is why we are seeing the lose of Micheal Handzus hurt so much.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Well said LITN,

Loktionov is sent to the minors while they keep guys like Hunter and Moreau?

I think that tells you everything you need to know about what kind of guys the Kings want, especially on the bottom lines.

The Kings need to add something to these bottom lines, whether it's an infusion of talent (Loktionov, Parse), toughness (Westgarth) or energy (someone from Manchester) something needs to change. Those lines had absolutely no identity at all. What exactly are we looking for from a Clifford- Lewis- Moreau line or a Richardson-Stoll-Hunter line? Are these lines supposed to provide toughness, energy, skill, speed, grit...what?

Just so bland
THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The team has no direction anymore............
for a top6 bottom 6 we dont have the right player.
For top 9 bottom 3 we are using the wrong one.

from what i see it's

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Gagne - Richards - Brown
Parse - Richardson/Loktionov - ?
Clifford - Lewis - ?

these gaps are exsiting since summer.
I'm still convinced the trade for Richards is completely wrong.

The team would look a lot better with

Gagne - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Schenn - Brown
Parse - Loktionov - simmonds
Clifford - Richardson- Lewis

but in the end it doesn't matter.
You cant score goals when pinned to the board from 2 opponents.

I even would trade Stoll + for a 25+ goal winger for 3rd line.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:26 PM
TwoMinutesWellWorthI*

I'm just glad the Kings got a point. Gagne and Williams looked good out there.

I think TM should go with the original plan of Penner on the 1st and Gagne on the 2nd. To me that seems like a more balanced top 6. I'm not blaming the loss on that though, I just want to see how it'd pan out.

Checking the boxscores is kind of surprising. Scuderi lead the defense with the most shots. The 3rd and 4th lines didn't register even one shot, with Hunter being the exception.

TwoMinutesWellWorthI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:28 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The team has no direction anymore............
for a top6 bottom 6 we dont have the right player.
For top 9 bottom 3 we are using the wrong one.

from what i see it's

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Gagne - Richards - Brown
Parse - Richardson/Loktionov - ?
Clifford - Lewis - ?

these gaps are exsiting since summer.
I'm still convinced the trade for Richards is completely wrong.

The team would look a lot better with

Gagne - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Schenn - Brown
Parse - Loktionov - simmonds
Clifford - Richardson- Lewis

but in the end it doesn't matter.
You cant score goals when pinned to the board from 2 opponents.

I even would trade Stoll + for a 25+ goal winger for 3rd line.
No one is going to give you a 25 goal speed/skill winger for Stoll +.

those type of wingers don't grow on tree's. There are Jarret Stoll's everywhere in this league. If that type of deal was out there pretty sure the Kings would have jumped on it,

Old
10-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
No one is going to give you a 25 goal speed/skill winger for Stoll +.

those type of wingers don't grow on tree's. There are Jarret Stoll's everywhere in this league.
Thats the only thing you say after he says that?? Haha.

Does he expect the Kings to go in the playoffs with Schenn as a number two and still compete? That's beyond ridiculous.

Richardson third line center? Lolz

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:37 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Thats the only thing you say after he says that?? Haha.

Does he expect the Kings to go in the playoffs with Schenn as a number two and still compete? That's beyond ridiculous.

Richardson third line center? Lolz
For the first three games, Stoll has played pretty poorly. He deserves it. Pretty much the whole bottom six has sucked so far. Simmer was really that good I guess.

I love Stoll's faceoff's, but he needs to do more than that this year.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
So, what I have gathered from the Murray "supporters" is that he needs a perfect lineup to be successful. Wow, that's a tall order in the cap era. You are always going to have holes in your lineup. The Kings need a coach that can get the most from what he has, not play '90's hockey in 2011.

On paper, the Kings have their strongest team in decades, yet they are playing just like Murray's team from 2 seasons ago. At least Murray agreed with me that the Kings had zero energy in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Dallas and Colorado are both 3-1. Does anyone think Murray would have either team there? Yes, it's a marathon and not a sprint, but I sure hope we get to see more energy and possession soon from the Kings.

Go Kings Go!

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Through 3 games, one of the things that worries me is the severe lack of checking. It seems like nobody is taking the body (especially Brown). We are the most finesse grinding team I've ever seen.

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
So, what I have gathered from the Murray "supporters" is that he needs a perfect lineup to be successful. Wow, that's a tall order in the cap era. You are always going to have holes in your lineup. The Kings need a coach that can get the most from what he has, not play '90's hockey in 2011.

On paper, the Kings have their strongest team in decades, yet they are playing just like Murray's team from 2 seasons ago. At least Murray agreed with me that the Kings had zero energy in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Dallas and Colorado are both 3-1. Does anyone think Murray would have either team there? Yes, it's a marathon and not a sprint, but I sure hope we get to see more energy and possession soon from the Kings.

Go Kings Go!
It's been THREE games.. lol jesus.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:42 PM
bobafettish*

teh fact that there is TM surpporters is mind boggling.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:43 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
Not so much supporters, just people that know some things are out of His control; and bit$%% and moaning about said things is pointless.

Terry Murray can't make JW not pass the puck into the slot with FOUR defenders there. JW did that about three times tonight. Bitc$5 that somehow Terry Murray forces the players to make plays that like is so stupid.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Shellz

Quote:
For the first three games, Stoll has played pretty poorly. He deserves it. Pretty much the whole bottom six has sucked so far. Simmer was really that good I guess.

I love Stoll's faceoff's, but he needs to do more than that this year.
Give him time to adjust. He hasnt played horrible.

I'm going to go do something positive now.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
It's been THREE games.. lol jesus.
Last time I checked it's been over 3 seasons. Nothing has changed. The Kings still lack energy for full games. Lack any kind of creativity in the offensive zone not created by turnovers. Rely on their goalies to "keep" them in the game. Play for low scoring, close games.

When can we expect the real Terry Murray system to show up? After five seasons?

Pointing out specific by players just trivializes your argument. You have to look at the big picture to see that the players have changed, but the style and energy hasn't.

Of course, the team still has time to get it going and maybe the travel is a valid excuse, but after three seasons of Murray, i don't have a warm, fuzzy feeling that the Kings are going to be the dominant team we all want to see play every game. I don't want to keep reading quotes from the players saying that they didn't play "their" game and them didn't have the energy that they should for a full 60 minutes. Shouldn't they be mature enough to give an honest effort for 60 minutes in game 3 of the season?

When does it become a coaching issue? When does the lack of focus by the players become a coaching issue?

Last edited by Sydor25: 10-13-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
just like how there are fans that bash him when it's more on the players than him. Derp derp.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:47 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Last time I checked it's been over 3 seasons. Nothing has changed. The Kings still lack energy for full games. Lack any kind of creativity in the offensive zone not created by turnovers. Rely in their goalies to "keep" them in the game. Play for low scoring, close games.

When can we expect the real Terry Murray system to show up? After five seasons?
Talk to Dean Lombardi bro. You're not going to get creative hockey here. Don't know how many times you need to be told this.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:48 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Give him time to adjust. He hasnt played horrible.

I'm going to go do something positive now.
The whole bottom six probably just needs time.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:48 PM
SMantzas

good game kings fans. DD is awesome and quick was lights out.

I will say that I am pumped that the Elias line handled Kopi so well. you could tell that murray was trying to shy away from that matchup.

Oh yeah, and beat the pants off philly

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:50 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
good game kings fans. DD is awesome and quick was lights out.

I will say that I am pumped that the Elias line handled Kopi so well. you could tell that murray was trying to shy away from that matchup.

Oh yeah, and beat the pants off philly
Ditto Bro, Jersey has a solid team. No one is giving them credit. They played the Kings tough tonight.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Shellz

Quote:
The whole bottom six probably just needs time.
True. I am not confident in Moreau or Hunter yet. But, time will tell. I hope I'm wrong. I know it is still early, I do miss Handzus most of all.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Whiskeypete

where is all the "he's got a burst of speed he didn't have last season" I keep hearing when it comes to Penner. Fox was commenting on it before the game. I'm sorry Jim but I don't see it. to me he still always is in cruise control and when his feet are moving it looks more laborious than Luc skating.

the guy reminds me of all the big guys i played with over the years that were good because they had size/space over most other players on the ice. they relied on their bigger body for position, but you could usually beat them because of hustle and speed. his charging penalty was the hardest he skated all night.

after one game i still see the same guy coasting on the backside fringe of the play, just waiting for a turnover or a feed. he still needs to create chances, which i saw none of tonight.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Talk to Dean Lombardi bro. You're not going to get creative hockey here. Don't know how many times you need to be told this.
WTF are you talking about? Lombardi sure as hell has provided players for "creative" hockey. Gagne, Kopitar, Williams, Penner, and Richards are extremely talented and have proved they can play "creative" hockey -- most of them in other environments, however. Do they all of a sudden forget how to play "creative" hockey when they join the Kings?

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'd like to give this team a few more games to see where they truly stand. We've seen the Kings start off hot out of the game in the past only to fiddle away by December and the mid-way point of the season.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:55 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Dunno who on our board may have said the Kings played a "boring" game, but you should probably take that as a compliment. We love boring games

I think the regulation goal scorers were quite fitting. Gagne always scores against Marty wherever he plays and Elias always scores against the team that has Gagne.

Quick was exceptional, and after the first 10 minutes I thought the Devils were going to get blown out. Seemed like the game settled after that and the Kings lost a little energy. Fun game tonight. Best of luck going forward. Hopefully they can play like the first ten minutes tonight for the entire game against Philly. I'll be rooting for you guys for sure.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:59 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
WTF are you talking about? Lombardi sure as hell has provided players for "creative" hockey. Gagne, Kopitar, Williams, Penner, and Richards are extremely talented and have proved they can play "creative" hockey -- most of them in other environments, however. Do they all of a sudden forget how to play "creative" hockey when they join the Kings?
I don't have a problem with Terry Murray or Dean Lombardi. I have a problem with people thinking Dean Lombardi is going to hire ANY COACH that is not Terry Murray Lite.

I am willing to give Terry and Dean this post season. But if you get rid of Terry, Dean needs to go as well. Dean Lombardi may draft creative players or sign them. But they are going to be asked to play a Grind and Grit Defensive hockey first.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-13-2011 at 11:04 PM.