HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: The Walking Dead

Old
09-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post

Just watched this again and it gets me excited for the new season (despite all the worrisome reports behind the scenes).

Premiere is not that far off now, about a month. Also the premiere episode once again apparently will be 90 minutes long.
Check post 198. But thanks for the reminder.

I read WWZ in about 5 days, watta great book that was! Watched the original Dawn of the dead last night. I forgot how good a movie that was with regards to the human condition and what might happen to it in these types of circumstances. I was expecting it to be cheesy because I hadn't seen it for so long. But it's a classic that pretty much holds it's ground over time.

Looking forward to October and AMC this year. They also have a wicked looking new Western series starting.

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Check post 198. But thanks for the reminder.

I read WWZ in about 5 days, watta great book that was! Watched the original Dawn of the dead last night. I forgot how good a movie that was with regards to the human condition and what might happen to it in these types of circumstances. I was expecting it to be cheesy because I hadn't seen it for so long. But it's a classic that pretty much holds it's ground over time.

Looking forward to October and AMC this year. They also have a wicked looking new Western series starting.
Yep that is why I wrote just checked this out again. Put it in a fresh post to keep it in peoples minds that do not read back to previous pages.

Don't get me started on the original Dawn Of The Dead. One of my all time favourite movies of any genre. I have watched that movie probably literally a hundred times or more. I had a couple copies on VHS and wore them out. By the way for any fans of the movie that have not bought the Dawn Of The Dead Ultimate Edition box set with the different cuts of the film, different soundtracks, multiple commentaries, documentaries. Get it, awesome stuff.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Yep that is why I wrote just checked this out again. Put it in a fresh post to keep it in peoples minds that do not read back to previous pages.

Don't get me started on the original Dawn Of The Dead. One of my all time favourite movies of any genre. I have watched that movie probably literally a hundred times or more. I had a couple copies on VHS and wore them out. By the way for any fans of the movie that have not bought the Dawn Of The Dead Ultimate Edition box set with the different cuts of the film, different soundtracks, multiple commentaries, documentaries. Get it, awesome stuff.
That's the one I watched last night! Did they add a bunch of stuff to the movie or was it the original theatrical version? I can't remember it being quite that long. Took more than 2 hrs, so I haven't watched the extra's yet. Best $5 I ever spent, thanks for going out of business Blockbuster

Old
09-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
That's the one I watched last night! Did they add a bunch of stuff to the movie or was it the original theatrical version? I can't remember it being quite that long. Took more than 2 hrs, so I haven't watched the extra's yet. Best $5 I ever spent, thanks for going out of business Blockbuster
You get like three different versions of the movie. You get the original theatrical cut, the Directors Cut (my fave) and the European cut.

As I am not sure if you knew but the famous Italian filmmaker Dario Argento helped fund the movie to be made. So he had all rights for Europe or most of Europe and rights to edit his own cut of the movie, use his own soundtrack (more Goblin music) and the movie was called Zombi over there in some markets. He cut it differently taking out some of the character stuff and making the action scenes longer as I guess he wanted more of an action movie. All three versions have some different soundtrack stuff going on.

You get different commentary tracks for every version of the movie. So Dawn fanatics like me just love that. You get the awesome Document of The Dead soundtrack which was made back in the day by a college film student Roy Frumkes (who acted, wrote and directed later on some low budget movies like The Substitute 1 thru 3, Street Trash etc...) and he was on the set filming stuff back in the day with college funding. Plus you get a newer documentary about the movie, you get a tour of the Monroeville Mall where the movie was shot with star Ken Foree and a bunch more stuff. It is 4 discs worth.

I do not buy a lot of box sets, but that one is definitely a must have for big fans of that movie.

Talking about this is making me want to go watch it again right now.

Old
09-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Neat. Any episode we should be keeping an eye out for you on?
Unfortunately no, I'm usually at work

I've heard there was an episode with someone wearing a Thrashers shirt though. They should get a bunch of folks wearing Thrashers gear, lol Would be especially relevant.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
You get like three different versions of the movie. You get the original theatrical cut, the Directors Cut (my fave) and the European cut.

As I am not sure if you knew but the famous Italian filmmaker Dario Argento helped fund the movie to be made. So he had all rights for Europe or most of Europe and rights to edit his own cut of the movie, use his own soundtrack (more Goblin music) and the movie was called Zombi over there in some markets. He cut it differently taking out some of the character stuff and making the action scenes longer as I guess he wanted more of an action movie. All three versions have some different soundtrack stuff going on.

You get different commentary tracks for every version of the movie. So Dawn fanatics like me just love that. You get the awesome Document of The Dead soundtrack which was made back in the day by a college film student Roy Frumkes (who acted, wrote and directed later on some low budget movies like The Substitute 1 thru 3, Street Trash etc...) and he was on the set filming stuff back in the day with college funding. Plus you get a newer documentary about the movie, you get a tour of the Monroeville Mall where the movie was shot with star Ken Foree and a bunch more stuff. It is 4 discs worth.

I do not buy a lot of box sets, but that one is definitely a must have for big fans of that movie.

Talking about this is making me want to go watch it again right now.
Oops, I made a mistake. I just have the special edition, which was basically redone in HD version with a few extras, not the version you have. I have a question though, do you know of any good George A Romero box sets? Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Oilerdiehard

They have a series of The Walking Dead webisodes shorts directed by special effects guru Greg Nicotero. Check them out some cool stuff.

The UK promo for show which is seen on FX UK channel over there.

Behind the scenes interviews with the cast

Season two is only a couple days away now.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 10-14-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old
10-14-2011, 02:35 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
those things are horrendous.
i stopped on part II as soon as the kids were like "we thought you were dead :| " and had no emotion at all. and then the "weekend dad" comment for generic/lame drama during a zombie apocalypse.

season 2 better be written WAY better than those things.

and the gore graphics is hilariously bad. total After Effects particle generation laughs.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:47 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
those things are horrendous.
i stopped on part II as soon as the kids were like "we thought you were dead :| " and had no emotion at all. and then the "weekend dad" comment for generic/lame drama during a zombie apocalypse.

season 2 better be written WAY better than those things.

and the gore graphics is hilariously bad. total After Effects particle generation laughs.
Dude they are little webisodes short videos made strictly for the web and youtube. Not sure what you expected to be honest. It is not like those things even have a tiny fraction of the budget of the actual show. Not sure if you are familiar with webisodes or not? They are always like a cheap little free thing they throw up. Considering all of that I liked them personally.

By the way the director of those shorts Greg Nicotero and his company have probably done many and even most of the special effects you watch on all the big movies. Everything from Transformers through Spiderman and of course tons of horror movies.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 10-14-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old
10-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Oilerdiehard

I thought the premiere 90 minute episode of season 2 was pretty damn killer.

Some great character stuff going on like the scene between Dale and Andrea was pretty intense.

Totally loved it when the little girl got lost in the woods on the run from zombies. Rick and Daryl are tracking her trail and come across a hippie preacher zombie. They kill him and notice he seems to fairly fresh flesh in his teeth. So they cut him open, pull out his innards and finally his they slice open it's stomach to examine the contents to make sure whether or not any chunks of the girl are in there but it turns out to be a rodent. So awesome and I loved Rick's reactions when Daryl is going through the dissection.

Did Daryl cut off the widow zombies nose with that little hooked machete thing.

Emotional ending obviously as well. Two thumbs up from me. Hope the rest of the season is this good.

Old
10-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Klaus*

An excellent way to spend 90 minutes minus the commercials. Best episode of the series since the pilot last season in my opinion.

The ending was pure genius.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

I thought the episode was very well done as well. So much so that I watched it twice. Some interesting twists being setup for the future there.

Old
10-17-2011, 09:33 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Dude they are little webisodes short videos made strictly for the web and youtube. Not sure what you expected to be honest. It is not like those things even have a tiny fraction of the budget of the actual show. Not sure if you are familiar with webisodes or not? They are always like a cheap little free thing they throw up. Considering all of that I liked them personally.

By the way the director of those shorts Greg Nicotero and his company have probably done many and even most of the special effects you watch on all the big movies. Everything from Transformers through Spiderman and of course tons of horror movies.
its just poor writing and not worth the resources for an already poorly written series. its like throwing more manure on a pile just to admire how big the pile is.

watched last nights just to give it a second chance. its terrible.

a) zombie tropes are boring already. they sucked from the start unless they were supernatural zombies like the italian directors (Fulci).

b) the convoluted plot mechanisms of Murphy's Law for the Traveling Zombie-Avoiding Caravan is tired. i never got into the comics, but if the first 10+ issues were as boring and poorly written as the TV series i would have quit on the series already.

c) the attempts at character drama are C level. forced. poorly arranged. if theyre going to make bad TV, at least make it fun. add more pulp, 'sci-fi', esoteric elements instead of just boring turds who organize themselves bad and bicker. "its just like real life. but with zombies." yawn.

Game of Thrones is the only TV show worth watching. for now.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
I thought the episode was very well done as well. So much so that I watched it twice. Some interesting twists being setup for the future there.
I am with you. Despite it being 90 minutes long I have already watched it twice as well. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Great writing and acting as well. Jeffrey DeMunn as Dale does not have the biggest role but I have really enjoyed his work on the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Dogs View Post
An excellent way to spend 90 minutes minus the commercials. Best episode of the series since the pilot last season in my opinion.

The ending was pure genius.
Yeah I enjoyed the ending as well and it probably was my favourite episode as well since the pilot. But there are a couple others along the way that are up there for me.

They actually had a talk show about The Walking Dead afterward. Kind of cool they are doing that you get to hear from Kirkman each week, thought he was pretty funny in the interview.

Old
10-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
Game of Thrones is the only TV show worth watching. for now.
Game of Thrones is another excellent series. Judging from your post in this thread at the start of season one. It seems like you went into it kind of wanting to dislike it from the start. Which is fine it is your opinion of course.

Not sure why you bother to continue torturing yourself watching it (even watching the webisodes which are made for the die hards that can not get enough of the show or anything related to it) and spending time posting about it if you really dislike it that much. Be happy to join you in some good discussion of Game Of Thrones when the next season starts up. My wife and I both love that show.

Old
10-17-2011, 09:53 AM
CupofOil

1) Good episode, great first 30 minutes or so with the intense close encounter with the Walkers on the road.

2) Daryl is supremely badass.

3) Sophia is an idiot for not waiting for Rick, she's 12 and should know better.

4) Why did Rick and Shane let Carl walk up to a wild deer?

5) Shane is a complete tool.

5) Too many damn commercials.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:58 AM
copperandblue897

First episode was good. I thought the plot was decent. But the commercials. My god. Every four minutes. So painful. I wish it was like HBO with none.

copperandblue897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:59 AM
copperandblue897

The ending was good. But why did they let a kid walk up to a deer? I get thats what makes the storyline work, but who does that? It is a wild animal.

copperandblue897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:05 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Be happy to join you in some good discussion of Game Of Thrones when the next season starts up. My wife and I both love that show.
Fantastic show and that new show Homeland on Showtime is pretty damn good too.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Right now the biggest problem for me is that I don't really like most of the characters. And the couple that I do, I know would grate on me if they had anymore screen time.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:20 AM
misfit

Quote:
I thought the premiere 90 minute episode of season 2 was pretty damn killer.

Some great character stuff going on like the scene between Dale and Andrea was pretty intense.

Totally loved it when the little girl got lost in the woods on the run from zombies. Rick and Daryl are tracking her trail and come across a hippie preacher zombie. They kill him and notice he seems to fairly fresh flesh in his teeth. So they cut him open, pull out his innards and finally his they slice open it's stomach to examine the contents to make sure whether or not any chunks of the girl are in there but it turns out to be a rodent. So awesome and I loved Rick's reactions when Daryl is going through the dissection.

Did Daryl cut off the widow zombies nose with that little hooked machete thing.

Emotional ending obviously as well. Two thumbs up from me. Hope the rest of the season is this good.
It's comforting to know that I wasn't the only one who watched it twice last night. I was out when it came on, so I'd PVR'd it, but that actually worked out for the best since I was able to skip past the commercials.

But as much as I loved the scene where they opened up the zombie, I couldn't help but wondering how they'd even be able to tell if he had eaten the girl. I mean, chewed up little girl probably looks a lot like chewed up anybody by the time any part of it makes it to the stomach. The fact that the zombie had swallowed the rodent's head whole was fortunate though.

10-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
It's comforting to know that I wasn't the only one who watched it twice last night. I was out when it came on, so I'd PVR'd it, but that actually worked out for the best since I was able to skip past the commercials.

But as much as I loved the scene where they opened up the zombie, I couldn't help but wondering how they'd even be able to tell if he had eaten the girl. I mean, chewed up little girl probably looks a lot like chewed up anybody by the time any part of it makes it to the stomach. The fact that the zombie had swallowed the rodent's head whole was fortunate though.
I did the exact same thing. I did not watch it totally live. I let the DVR record it for about a half an hour before I started watching. So the numerous commercial breaks did not bother me as I fast forwarded through them. If I had not done that I could definitely see how that would have been annoying.

I was wondering the exact same thing. One chunk of flesh mixed with bile probably looks exactly like the chunk. I thought maybe shred of her clothing would be mixed in or something. But yeah the rodent was the out there for them to tell the zombie had not snacked on her.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Fantastic show and that new show Homeland on Showtime is pretty damn good too.
You know I kind of debated on whether or not to watch that series. I am definitely not a fan of the whole terrorism / Iraq plot lines, just do not interest me much. But I thought about watching it anyways as all the main actors in are some of my faves (huge fan of Damian Lewis in Band of Brothers which is maybe the best mini series ever IMO). So it was tempting.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:37 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
You know I kind of debated on whether or not to watch that series. I am definitely not a fan of the whole terrorism / Iraq plot lines, just do not interest me much. But I thought about watching it anyways as all the main actors in are some of my faves (huge fan of Damian Lewis in Band of Brothers which is maybe the best mini series ever IMO). So it was tempting.
You should really check it out. Damian Lewis plays the role to a T, the pilot episode especially was incredible IMO.
I think that the show is especially intriguing because it could happen in reality and is relevant to what might be happening in society today so that makes it even more chilling.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Right now the biggest problem for me is that I don't really like most of the characters. And the couple that I do, I know would grate on me if they had anymore screen time.
Don't worry Section337. The way Kirkman seems to do things, allot of the characters you don't like will be toast in no time anyways.