HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais...

Old
10-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Habs Junkie

vCash: 500
David Desharnais...

What is going on with David Desharnais so far this season? Is it a sophomore jinx? Did he come too over confident?

I have seen nothing good from him so far. He is very week on the puck and gets pushed off quite easily. A guy with his size normally makes it up in intensity,
but he hasn't shown that either. Quite a few times you see him give up on his check, or he runs around chasing the puck but is always one second too late.

He does not look like he did last year. I hope he can pick it up but right now he does not look like a regular NHLer. His preseason was bad, followed up by a very week 3 first games.
I just don't see the room for him on this team, behind Gomez, Gionta, Cammaleri and Plekanec. I would much rather have someone with size and grit in his position on a 3rd line.

This team has one or two small players too many, and DD should be the odd man out. He is not Martin St.Louis! I know most people want a Quebecois superstar, and so do I, but the truth is DD is not that.
I say give him 7 more games, in order to take a really good strong look at him, but if he keeps this up it's back to the AHL for him or waivers or trade. If our forwards wern't so small maybe we can keep him around but the truth is we are stuck with the others for quite some time and this team badly needs some grit and size up front.

Bash away...

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab junkie View Post
What is going on with David Desharnais so far this season? Is it a sophomore jinx? Did he come too over confident?

I have seen nothing good from him so far. He is very week on the puck and gets pushed off quite easily. A guy with his size normally makes it up in intensity,
but he hasn't shown that either. Quite a few times you see him give up on his check, or he runs around chasing the puck but is always one second too late.

He does not look like he did last year. I hope he can pick it up but right now he does not look like a regular NHLer. His preseason was bad, followed up by a very week 3 first games.
I just don't see the room for him on this team, behind Gomez, Gionta, Cammaleri and Plekanec. I would much rather have someone with size and grit in his position on a 3rd line.

This team has one or two small players too many, and DD should be the odd man out. He is not Martin St.Louis! I know most people want a Quebecois superstar, and so do I, but the truth is DD is not that.
I say give him 7 more games, in order to take a really good strong look at him, but if he keeps this up it's back to the AHL for him or waivers or trade. If our forwards wern't so small maybe we can keep him around but the truth is we are stuck with the others for quite some time and this team badly needs some grit and size up front.

Bash away...
Totally agree. We have too many players in the mold of DD. Palushaj is another.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

He's facing tougher competition/matchups.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Young Gun

if he can't make it on the pp and he only gets 3th or 4th line minutes, trade him or
cut him loose. enough of the smurfs, where have all the nilan's, lambert gone
the habs can't find anymore like'em..lol

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

People expected way too much of him after the way he played last year. Countless fans were saying how he was ready to take the 2nd line C position.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Aeneas

most of the team is playing bad hockey right now, desharnais isn't playing great but i wouldn't single him out as a problem

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:28 AM
neofury*

I've said it all along peoples expectations are far too high for DD and I knew it would come crashing down. But even if that's true it has only been 3 games. Gionta wasn't good at the start of last year either. Will give both the benefit of the doubt for now.

Also if you waiver DD you're just giving Tampa another weapon they can and will use.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Kriss E

I think he's been one of our better forwards.
We only have 8 players on this team that has at least 1 point. That is some lame ass production.
We're talking about a guy that has 57 games of experience. He is doing just fine. Personally, I want Eller to be moved to center ASAP. He has no business playing on the wing. Plek and Gomez can be considered small centers, we need to balance that with a bigger one like Eller, not an even smaller one in DD.
I want him to be moved to the wing to play with Gomez and Gionta, I liked them last POs. It's only been three games, but having this ''one big player on every line'' strategy seems to be taking away the effectiveness of these big players.
Cole was great in Carolina playing next to another big body in Staal. I thought he looked good with AK and Plek, but I'd be curious to see how these two play with Eller.
Give MaxPac to Plek and Cammy (once back from injury, so in the mean time, Palushaj).
Basically, I want to have one big offensive line, call it the power line. We can alternate AK with MaxPac as well, we haven't had that in ages.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
The topic is David Desharnais. Everyone knows by now where the toughness debate goes. You'll be removed from the thread if you can't stay on-topic. Thanks.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Young Gun

we need third and fouth liners that can go out there when needed and change the game around, like the bee's. Ok, our offense is not doing it on a given night. time to start the
banging and crashing. Wouldn't hurt to have a gamebraker in the lineup either, the go too guy

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I don't find he's been particularly good or bad...I think he'll be better with eller and AK and playing wing with less defensive responsibility. I experct 25-30 point maybe more if he thrives on the PP.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Andy

He plays too much, they need to limit his minutes until he's ready. I'd also prefer to see Plekanec on the PP in his spot as well. He's to predictable on the PP, he keeps looking for the same downlow cross crease pass.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:59 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

DD is very overrated by alot of people on here...

I mean he was playing good last season YES, but I don't see how he will be able to play on the same level as Gionta or any of those short guys.

I think he's really good at positioning himself...right place at the right time, but other than that he has a major disadvantage because of his size, speed and strength...

TRADE HIM!!!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Bob in Niagara

In my opinion he is in over his head...and thus far...has not been effective...but he is not alone...there have been many

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:00 AM
optimus2861

I've said it before, I'll say it again: he simply isn't that good and likely has no long-term future in the NHL. He's not skilled enough to be a mainstay top-6 guy, and is nowhere near big enough to be a mainstay bottom-6 guy. He might catch on as a cheap option for a bottom feeder but more likely he'll wind up in the AHL who gets stints to replace guys who are hurt. Once he tires of that he'll head to Europe.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Bob Cole

Just get him off the PP please...

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Aeneas

Im going to deviate from the norm here, and say he will come into his own, he will be an effective bottom 6 player for us

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pine*

10 minutes max per game. Not a second more.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:06 AM
capnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The topic is David Desharnais. Everyone knows by now where the toughness debate goes. You'll be removed from the thread if you can't stay on-topic. Thanks.
I think that a David Desharnais thread has a little to do with toughness no? The title of the thread is just "David Desharnais". Pretty vague...so it should also allow for some discussion on team toughness as DD is part of a team that has toughness issues. And by virtue of him not fitting into the mold of "toughness" I believe a discussion of DD contributing to a team that lacks toughness should be allowed.

capnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

There was an interview with DD not long ago after a very average training camp where he admited that the new position he was in, with a guaranteed contract, has alowed him to come in more relaxed and not fearing for his professional future every second. The downside, still according to him, was maybe the loss of that spark born of fear that is so far missing from his game. Said he needed to find that back.

I hope for his sake and the team's he indeed finds it back, because he'll realize soon enough status change quickly in the NHL, guaranteed contract or not. I like DD, his talent and intelligence on the ice, but he's in no position to think he's arrived.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
There was an interview with DD not long ago after a very average training camp where he admited that the new position he was in, with a guaranteed contract, has alowed him to come in more relaxed and not fearing for his professional future every second. The downside, still according to him, was maybe the loss of that spark born of fear that is so far missing from his game. Said he needed to find that back.

I hope for his sake and the team's he indeed finds it back, because he'll realize soon enough status change quickly in the NHL, guaranteed contract or not. I like DD, his talent and intelligence on the ice, but he's in no position to think he's arrived.
It's encouraging to hear him talking like that. I think he has what it takes to succeed in the NHL, although not to really be a star in the league, but with his size he's always going to need to put in extra effort or get dominated one-on-one. Whatever the reason, he has not shown his best so far this year.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Play him against the opposition's 4th line. Nothing more.

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:56 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

DD just seems too slow for his size. I was hyping him, to be like a future 2nd line center, who has good vision and playmaking abilities, but now he just seems too slow. Hope he begins to feed his wingers goals on a plate sooner rather than later.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Ketzlaf

DD can only win battles against lazy opponents. If the opponant ''wants it'' badly, DD will lose the battle. Every time. It is not an issue about skill, it is about muscular mass and speed. DD has neither.

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:11 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Plekanec on the point means Gomez is the center on the 1st PP-wave.
Which makes Desharnais the center on the 2nd PP-wave.

Easy to see why we're getting 0 results on the PP. Did Gomez even had a PP point last season?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote