HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The avs beat the **** out of us, and other panic-related stuff

Old
10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

vCash: 500
Michalek-Spezza-Butler
Greening/Zibanejad-DaCosta-Alfredsson
Foligno-Regin-Neil
Smith-Konopka-Condra

Phillips-Rundblad
Cowen-Gonchar
Kuba-Karlsson
Lee

That lineup should be competitive. ESPECIALLY against colorado. coaching staff needs to get it together.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:33 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
Michalek-Spezza-Butler
Foligno-Regin-Neil
Smith-Konopka-Condra

Phillips-Rundblad
Cowen-Gonchar
Kuba-Karlsson
Lee

That lineup should be competitive. ESPECIALLY against colorado. coaching staff needs to get it together.
13 million in salary needs to outdo 4.5 mil in salary on defence...or else we'll see this constantly.

Remember folks, this is a rebuild...one where people are expecting a lottery finish. You have to be bad to finish in the lottery. Tough concept...

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
13 million in salary needs to outdo 4.5 mil in salary on defence...or else we'll see this constantly.

Remember folks, this is a rebuild...one where people are expecting a lottery finish. You have to be bad to finish in the lottery. Tough concept...
maybe this team wouldn't be having so many problems on D if management hired the right veterans back there. That is the main problem right now. Money not well spent. at all.
point is the team does not have to be horrible this year.

Replace Phillips, Gonchar, Kuba with capable D and this team looks 10 times as good. I get that this is just 'rebuild' time, but BM screwed this transition up so far with those signings. it does not have to be painful.

Murray's been preaching you build from the back end, then he goes and gives all that money to those 3 losers.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
maybe this team wouldn't be having so many problems on D if management hired the right veterans back there. That is the main problem right now. Money not well spent. at all.

Replace Phillips, Gonchar, Kuba with capable D and this team looks 10 times as good. I get that this is just 'rebuild' time, but BM screwed this transition up so far. it does not have to be painful.
It was pretty unfathomable to think these 3 guys together could be THAT bad. But yes, they are the problem, they are facilitating the rebuild if anything.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
It was pretty unfathomable to think these 3 guys together could be THAT bad. But yes, they are the problem, they are facilitating the rebuild if anything.
so can we start the murray bashing again?
(or should we wait till he trades butler and a 2nd for brassard?)

Old
10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
I'm starting to think that I'm a curse to my team. Every time I go to a game live (as I did last night), they lose. Maybe I should get free tickets to all our home games the rest of the year... guaranteed last overall! LOL

Quote:

Replace Phillips, Gonchar, Kuba with capable D and this team looks 10 times as good. I get that this is just 'rebuild' time, but BM screwed this transition up so far with those signings. it does not have to be painful.

Murray's been preaching you build from the back end, then he goes and gives all that money to those 3 losers.
Kuba was traded for, not signed, and it was before the downturn.
Gonchar was signed before the rebuild began.
Phillips was signed as a mentor for the younguns, and to take some of the focus off of them.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Actually, it was not THAT unfathomable. It was clear Phillips had already lost a step and was not as effective as he once was, Kuba was terribad last year, and Gonchar seemingly stopped caring back when he was in Pittsburgh.

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:05 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Well, at least Rundblad played pretty good.

Should have saved my time and stayed home though. At least then I could turn off the game lol.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Kuba was traded for, not signed, and it was before the downturn.
Gonchar was signed before the rebuild began.
Phillips was signed as a mentor for the younguns, and to take some of the focus off of them.
Kuba was traded for, right. at the time not terrible either. fine.

But once you have this guy and you realize that he's not as good as he once was, THEN you don't go sign Gonchar for over 5 million. that was a big mistake.

THEN, once you have kuba AND gonchar and realize they are both not as good as they once were, you don't go and give phillips a 3 yr, 3 mil extension. that was a big mistake.

there are other defenceman out there. trade, free agency, anything but those guys.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:15 AM
koreaboy

i would say the "so-so" goals were the rush by winnik (i think it was him) where he backhanded it on net and it kind of went through him. it wasn't a terrible goal, it was from close in and it was through a defender, but ideally you don't want goals kinda going through you like that.

the other so-so goal i can recall was the last one. it was a bit unlucky, it was a shot from the point that got blocked in front and it deflected to a colorado player, but anderson was nowhere near the right position for it, he was kinda standing out of position and made an awkward little wave at it. it was unlucky the way it was blocked and deflected, it would have been nice if our defenders could have been in position to knock it away, but it also would have been nice if anderson had been a little more positionally sound to make a tough save. if he stays square there and sees the deflection, he's in a position to butterfly slide across and make a save.

i'm not saying he was brutal and he cost us a game that we otherwise should have won. i don't think that's true for any of our losses so far. but you can't be thrilled with your goaltending when you have a GAA north of 5.00 and a sv% just north of .800. he has made some good saves to keep scores down, but there have also been occasions where he has been off his angle, or let pucks get through him, or looked awkward in and around his net.

excellent goalies playing well almost NEVER look awkward in the net. as a goalie i watch this and study this closely. you take a look at ryan miller play goal. i am in absolute awe of the guy because he almost NEVER looks like he's scrambling in his net, he is almost never off an angle, he is almost never out of position, he almost never gives out an awkward rebound, and he almost never looks like he's really trying at all. anderson doesnt look like that right now.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:49 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
I doesn't matter if we lose every game, but to do it without showing any heart or any skating after a day and a half rest is disappointing to see.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:01 PM
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

vCash: 840
I wonder if McLean channelled Nic Cage in the dressing-room after the game.

As for Phillips being signed to take the focus off the youngins, I think mission is fully accomplished so far.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:04 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Kuba was traded for, right. at the time not terrible either. fine.

But once you have this guy and you realize that he's not as good as he once was, THEN you don't go sign Gonchar for over 5 million. that was a big mistake.

THEN, once you have kuba AND gonchar and realize they are both not as good as they once were, you don't go and give phillips a 3 yr, 3 mil extension. that was a big mistake.

there are other defenceman out there. trade, free agency, anything but those guys.
I agree with you. Kuba should have never been resigned. He's terrible.Gonchar has been terrible but i didn't predict it would be this bad. Phillips should have never been resigned and especially not at that price. I would have said "your game isn't where it was 2-3 years ago...either resign at 1.5-2 or don't let the door hit you on the way out"...and that would have been the wrong thing to do because money isn't the issue. Him being bad is the issue so he should have never been resigned.

Why is it that cowen looks more experienced and better positionally then phillips? And for the love of god phillips, PLAY MEAN! jesus, i forget who it was but they were trying to push anderson into the net when he had made the save, and phillips stared at this from 2 ft away and did nothing. I'm not asking him to be carkner but if someone touches your goalie, rip his ****ing head off! Especially when you're 6'3,216.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:05 PM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-07-2012 at 08:40 AM.
True Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Michalek-Spezza-Butler
Foligno-Regin-Neil
Smith-Konopka-Condra

Phillips-Rundblad
Cowen-Gonchar
Kuba-Karlsson
Lee

Spezza, Phillips and Gonchar are all playing poorly, Anderson hasn't played well, Kuba is better but he is still Kuba. The team is relying to heavily on the young defence to pick up the slack of the vets and relying on role players to score like Neil and Greening rather than having their offensive players going -aside from Michalek that is.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Berserker*

Well at least in a few weeks Carkner will be back and we will finally get to see a fame with Neil, Carkner, smith and Konopka in the lineup. That should give our team a bit of an identity and provide for some entertainment in our loses. Hopefully that toughness rubs off on Cowen, Greening, Folingo and Zibanejad.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:47 PM
CR15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
I doesn't matter if we lose every game, but to do it without showing any heart or any skating after a day and a half rest is disappointing to see.
This ^ , I know everyone who wants to feel better and shrug it off as this is going to happen in a rebuild..... if they lose 7-1 to a team that just outclasses them say the Caps despite working there ***** off fine I can accept that.

Not showing up and get embarassed at home the 4th game of the season is a joke, hopefully an eye opener that 110% is needed every night to be competitive.

CR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:48 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
No joke, I have been to 40 games over the last 6 seasons, including 1 game per round, of every playoff series.

The Sens record with me in attendance...35-5.
Okay, I'll go to the games during the rebuild, then when we're good again, we both go.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:06 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I would like to know what MacLean said to Alfie at the end. Alfie has a face ready to kill someone, amd it looked like coach was trying to get him to calm down or maybe it looked like he was trying to keep his hopes up?

That was a tough game, a very unlucky game. That 1st goal by Lidstrom? The holding on the Landeskog goal was it? The unlucky bounce right to Hejduk? Couldn't catch a break, that's for sure. Da Costa open net...Alfie missing some nice setups and Spezza just nowhere. He was dreadful and seemed resigned to the state of the game, like he already was thinking of washington.

Cowen struggled, and he will have games like this. Rundblad seems almost petulant and genuinely shocked at the pace of the game. It seems as he is surprised he can't play the same game here as he did there. He must adjust to the pace of the game.

Anderson? Looked like he didn't really care. I don't know why, he seemed resigned as well as Spezza was. At least he faced the music afterwards. He just came off as defeated after that 1st Lidstrom goal, till then he battled...everybody did.

I don't see Zibby sticking around. I just think yesterday was an example hoe Landeskog is ready and Zibby is not.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Suiteness

I think a lot of people are not making the difference between allowing bad goals and making big saves. A good goalie doesn't allow many bad goals but he also makes saves he has no business making. When your goalie has a GAA above 5 and sv% in the .850's, I'm sorry but he's not just making saves.

We signed Anderson so the youngsters didn't have to worry about every single mistake ending up in the back of the net (An Elliott trademark if I may say so). Well, we haven't seen that goalie yet this year.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:18 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I have yet to see the Sens win at home.

Saw them win in MTL, but no luck at SBP yet.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:32 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
I think a lot of people are not making the difference between allowing bad goals and making big saves. A good goalie doesn't allow many bad goals but he also makes saves he has no business making. When your goalie has a GAA above 5 and sv% in the .850's, I'm sorry but he's not just making saves.

We signed Anderson so the youngsters didn't have to worry about every single mistake ending up in the back of the net (An Elliott trademark if I may say so). Well, we haven't seen that goalie yet this year.
I would contend he did make the big saves up until the 3rd period began where it just all fell apart, and I'm not going to blame him for the falling a part where we were just thoroughly dominated with waves and waves of forechecking.

The analysis was before this season that Anderson needed to come in and stand on his head game in and game out for us to even have a shot at being successful, but the thing is, it wasn't GUARANTEED that he would do that, its what we were hoping for if we wanted a shot whatsoever. To me it's not shocking that Anderson hasn't stood on his head game in and game out because it was wishful thinking to begin with, nothing wrong with having wishful thinking, but it was just that.
We have the worst D in the NHL thus far.

Oh, and IMO Kuba is our best shot blocker as it's a decent skill he's always had, people rip on him all the time and even I have, but at least he can block a god damn shot or at least try to.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

vCash: 375
I expected to come here and see people losing their ****. I'm pleasantly surprised. I didn't get a chance to watch most of the game but from the sounds of it, the loss seems like a collective effort by the whole team. Someone said either yesterday or the day before that our team is going to play like world-beaters one night and get embarrassed the next, that's just the way of a rebuilding team, and I agree. Take every game as a learning experience and carry on.

Last edited by Golden: 10-14-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:39 PM
topshelfie

Having 7 defence and 11 forwards last night was a weird move.

What happens when Carkner comes back? Either Rundblad is sent to bingo(not likely) or Kuba is traded/waived.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote