HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please trade Seidenberg Pt 2

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2005, 01:15 PM
DuklaNation

vCash: 500
Please trade Seidenberg Pt 2

I wrote a while ago that Philly was not going to use him regularly and suggested that he be traded for the benefit of both parties.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=157849

Well, its almost the end of October and nothing has changed. Hitchcock doesnt like him. And wont use him.

Do him a favor and trade him.

Old
10-24-2005, 01:20 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation
I wrote a while ago that Philly was not going to use him regularly and suggested that he be traded for the benefit of both parties.

Well, its almost the end of October and nothing has changed. Hitchcock doesnt like him. And wont use him.

I don't think hicth ever liked him. However what are you expecting in return? can't see anymore than a 5th round pick or career minor league, depth type player. Unless soem team really likes him or is part of a package.

Old
10-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Banger

It doesn't make any sense to trade him right now. The flyers don't even know what they need at this point in the season. They have some players injured that will be coming back and others are going to get injured. Trading a player just to trade him doesn't really make sense to me.

At this point in the season the Flyers look good and seem to be gelling a little more each game.

Old
10-24-2005, 01:47 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Last I checked, Bobby Clarke and Ken Hitchcock aren't in the business of doing players favors. Seidenberg, even as a swing 6th/7th defenseman, is very valuable to this organization and the Flyers won't trade him unless they get something equally valuable in return.

Old
10-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:

It's yet to be determined who will be the 6/7th D, i could very well se Hitch alternating them, Seids when more speed/offense is needed, Therien against more physial teams.

And if the Flyers trade Seidenberg who are they gonna call up when/if a D-man is injured? There would be no depth at D.

Old
10-24-2005, 02:13 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:

In all fairness Dennis hasn't played better than Therien to this point. Minutes need to be earned.

Saturday in Toronto was also the first time Dennis was a healthy scratch all year.

Old
10-24-2005, 02:27 PM
VaFlyer

First, Hitch is the only NHL coach that Seidenberg has ever played for. Seidenberg was not supposed to make the team, but beat out St. Jacques for the final spot. His first season was 2002/2003. He played 58 games that year and was sent down only after the Flyers acquired Yushkevich. In 2003/2004 he broke his leg and missed significant time. There was no 2004/2005 season.

Second, it may just be a tad early to say that Hitch will not play him over Therien. They both have played 3 games out of a possible 6. Seidenberg missed 2 with a head injury and Therien had back problems.

Third, why don't we get a little further along in the season than 6 games before we determine who will and will not be playing the #6 defenseman on a regular basis. It is hard to believe that between injuries and suspensions we have already lost 8 man games.

Old
10-24-2005, 02:39 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFlyer
It is hard to believe that between injuries and suspensions we have already lost 8 man games.
I think you are forgetting Kapanen and Stevenson. Including them brings our total to 17.

As per the thread: I'm not saying there arent trades I would take, but I see his value to the team as generally greater than what we might expect back (I peg his value as a second round pick). He is about as good a 6th/7th D man as you will find for a guy making league minimum.

Old
10-24-2005, 03:42 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Boughner for Seidenberg straight up.

Old
10-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Dykhuis26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki
Last I checked, Bobby Clarke and Ken Hitchcock aren't in the business of doing players favors. Seidenberg, even as a swing 6th/7th defenseman, is very valuable to this organization and the Flyers won't trade him unless they get something equally valuable in return.
Clarke said publicly when he traded Bruno St. Jacques that he had a bright future, but no immediate place within our organization so he traded him to a team he'd play for.

Old
10-24-2005, 05:36 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dykhuis26
Clarke said publicly when he traded Bruno St. Jacques that he had a bright future, but no immediate place within our organization so he traded him to a team he'd play for.
I think getting Kapanen might've been a little more important than letting St. Jacques pursue his career elseware

Old
10-24-2005, 05:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Seidenberg was also hurt

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
10-24-2005, 07:18 PM
lynchmob450

No way you trade ANYONE just to make a trade. This is the NHL!!! If you trade Seidenberg, its because you get something in return that will help the Flyers...not because you feel you owe him anything. If Seidenberg were playing well, he'd be in the lineup. No matter what Hitch thinks of him. That is plain and simple. And Seidenberg should make things better for himself by trying to play a little more like a true NHLer so that he forces the Flyers hand to play him OR entices another GM to say "that Seidenberg kid would look great on our defence. I wonder if Clarkie would trade him for Crosbie?" The ball is in Seidenberg's court.

Old
10-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchmob450
No way you trade ANYONE just to make a trade. This is the NHL!!! If you trade Seidenberg, its because you get something in return that will help the Flyers...not because you feel you owe him anything. If Seidenberg were playing well, he'd be in the lineup. No matter what Hitch thinks of him. That is plain and simple. And Seidenberg should make things better for himself by trying to play a little more like a true NHLer so that he forces the Flyers hand to play him OR entices another GM to say "that Seidenberg kid would look great on our defence. I wonder if Clarkie would trade him for Crosbie?" The ball is in Seidenberg's court.

Good points!

Old
10-25-2005, 08:02 AM
DuklaNation

Quote:
The ball is in Seidenberg's court.
Is it? With Johnsson, Pitkanen & Desjardins logging more PP time than him, he gets squeezed out. Philly would be better off with a more defensive d-man in this slot. When a player isnt in a position to perform well, how is the ball in his court? It seems that he is stonewalled as far as progressing. Therefore, trade him.

Old
10-25-2005, 08:35 AM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
The boards are littered with so many threads like this one, you'd think it was April...

As JFF already pointed out, Saturday's game was the first time Seidenberg had been a healthy scratch all season. Playing against a team with Lindros and Allison up front, it made perfect sense that Therien would be in the lineup.

I honestly don't know where this "Hitch doesn't like Seidenberg" junk keeps coming from. During Seidenberg's rookie season, Hitchcock played Dennis at forward a bit just because he wanted to get the kid ice time. Does that sound like a coach who doesn't like a player?

The simple fact of the matter is that the Flyers aren't so desperate for PP quarterbacks that they're going to force Seidenberg into the lineup. If the Flyers are playing a big, physical opponent, chances are Therien's going to see ice time. We'll see if Seidenberg plays tonight against Montreal...

Old
10-25-2005, 09:01 AM
greatwhite101*

The only player I would trade Dennis S would be Semenov from Edm. Flyers would probably have to add a low draft pick. I believe Semenov would develop nicely under Hitch and he is Clarkes type of player. 6'5 good on his feet physical but Russian. If he play with Rico under Hitch system we could get another Rathje on our team. He is not doing too good in Edm right now and they have Pronger so why not? Thoughts?

Old
10-25-2005, 11:48 AM
lynchmob450

Quote:
Is it? With Johnsson, Pitkanen & Desjardins logging more PP time than him, he gets squeezed out. Philly would be better off with a more defensive d-man in this slot. When a player isnt in a position to perform well, how is the ball in his court? It seems that he is stonewalled as far as progressing. Therefore, trade him.
You're totally wrong when you say that Seidenberg is "stonewalled" (i'm assuming by Hitch). Do you honestly think that Hitch would hinder one of his player's progress by not placing him a position to succeed? That makes little sense for the success of a team.

On the other hand, if Seidenberg showed that he deserved to be on the point of the Flyers' PP, then he would have forced Hitch's hand.

The important point that i want to make regarding Seidenberg is this...IF he can't clearly beat out Therrien as the Flyers' 6th d-man, that should speak volumes about Seidenberg's abilities. Pointe finale!

Old
10-25-2005, 06:47 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
Boughner for Seidenberg straight up.

please stop coming here

Old
10-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_
please stop coming here
Speak for yourself.

Old
10-26-2005, 10:57 AM
DuklaNation

Quote:
You're totally wrong when you say that Seidenberg is "stonewalled" (i'm assuming by Hitch). Do you honestly think that Hitch would hinder one of his player's progress by not placing him a position to succeed? That makes little sense for the success of a team.

On the other hand, if Seidenberg showed that he deserved to be on the point of the Flyers' PP, then he would have forced Hitch's hand.

The important point that i want to make regarding Seidenberg is this...IF he can't clearly beat out Therrien as the Flyers' 6th d-man, that should speak volumes about Seidenberg's abilities. Pointe finale!
You're just proving my point. Low ice time in previous games that he played. This guy is useful only in an offensive position. Therien is more suited for the 6th d-man role on this team. Even if DS played, 3 other pp d-men are ahead of him on the depth chart. That is being stonewalled.

He didnt play against Montreal, a more "fast, mobile" club. WHat does that tell you? Hitch doesnt want to use him. Thats his decision as coach. Nothing wrong with that. However, for benefit of both parties, trade him. He's useless to Flyers at this point.

I think Alex Picard can step in next year anyways as the 5th or 6th d-man.

Old
10-26-2005, 08:56 PM
lynchmob450

Quote:
You're just proving my point. Low ice time in previous games that he played. This guy is useful only in an offensive position. Therien is more suited for the 6th d-man role on this team. Even if DS played, 3 other pp d-men are ahead of him on the depth chart. That is being stonewalled.

He didnt play against Montreal, a more "fast, mobile" club. WHat does that tell you? Hitch doesnt want to use him. Thats his decision as coach. Nothing wrong with that. However, for benefit of both parties, trade him. He's useless to Flyers at this point.

I think Alex Picard can step in next year anyways as the 5th or 6th d-man.
I understand where you are coming from. But i still can't see Hitch "benching" a player who could help this team the way he is right now. Hitch has always tried to pull the most out of his players. Could it be that the message he is trying to send is not be accepted by a stuburn player?

This being said, i do realize that Hitch has a tough reputation...which might play a part in this situation.

Closed Thread