HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

GM#3 = Hawks 4 - Jets 3

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2011, 10:21 AM
LandofLincoln

vCash: 500
no to the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascht88 View Post
Me too. The talent is obviously there, but IMO it's just too early for Kruger. A couple month in Rockford would be good for him.

After the return of Smith and Stalberg I would like to see the following lines:
Brunette - Toews - Sharp
Carcillo - Kane - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Frolik
Stalberg - Smith - Mayers

If the top line doesn't work like last night, we could try Stalberg there instead of Brunette. Stalberg had a great preseason and had good chemistry with Toews.
doesn't work what? Brunnette has 2 goals in 3 games. Your out of your mind. You better blame Sharp or Toews before you try moving brunno off the 1st line. he is perfect at cleanup around the net his hands around the net were missing last year also a garbage goal guy. I like stalberg just not to screw up the 1st line. Stalberg has no hands around the net and can not plant himself in front of a net gets pushed around easily. Stalberg bottom 6 unless Carcillo or Brunette injured. Stalberg would be ok with Hossa and Kane but not on 1st line Brunette is just to valuable to be playing elsewhere.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Sarava

I listened to the game at work last night, and then have since watched the replay. Wow Hossa and Kaner sure seem to play well together. The only potential problem is that leaves Toews and Sharp without a playmaker to set them up on the first line. It will be interesting seeing how this all shakes out.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:58 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
doesn't work what? Brunnette has 2 goals in 3 games. Your out of your mind. You better blame Sharp or Toews before you try moving brunno off the 1st line.
He has two power play goals, which (of course) have nothing to do with what line he is playing on.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:22 AM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Couple thoughts...

[...]

I really wish Kruger would just go to Rockford already.
As noted earlier, haters gonna hate.
One goal game, last 5 or 6 minutes, Kane's line played 2 more shifts ... Did you even notice?
Protecting a lead and trying to recreate that "home ice" advantage from the cup year Kane's line (technically) takes the ice.
Run the video Johnny;
Isn't that Patrick Kane in the Hawk zone staying on the right wing boards?
Why yes Gordie I think it is, and isn't that Hossa sliding over and covering the left wingers defensive tasks?
Yep, the numbers right, it is Hossa so who is that at center late in a one goal game while it's all on the line?
Who is that who just won the puck battle and got the puck out of the zone?

Yeah, I think you already know the answer but just in case here is a hint, it was not Brandon Pirri.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:24 AM
BobbyJet

/| Well yes and no MG. Brunette is still playing with Sharp and Toews on the PP.
I can't really put a finger on it, as to why, but it seems other than Kaner, new wingers seem to have trouble adapting their play to Toews. Even Sharp and Toews seem to be out of sync without Kane there. It is too early to say but maybe Brunette will be the exception, and they will click playing together. Brunette's ability to get those goals from in close, have emerged already as a Hawk and Stan looks like a genius by picking him up... so far that is.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:32 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
As noted earlier, haters gonna hate.
One goal game, last 5 or 6 minutes, Kane's line played 2 more shifts ... Did you even notice?
Protecting a lead and trying to recreate that "home ice" advantage from the cup year Kane's line (technically) takes the ice.
Run the video Johnny;
Isn't that Patrick Kane in the Hawk zone staying on the right wing boards?
Why yes Gordie I think it is, and isn't that Hossa sliding over and covering the left wingers defensive tasks?
Yep, the numbers right, it is Hossa so who is that at center late in a one goal game while it's all on the line?
Who is that who just won the puck battle and got the puck out of the zone?

Yeah, I think you already know the answer but just in case here is a hint, it was not Brandon Pirri.
LOL and lovers are gonna love! Pirri is in Rockford, where he and Kruger both belong at this stage.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Hawkaholic

I really don't like Sharp on his off wing. ANd I don't like Toews not having a good puck carrier on his line.

I know Hossa and Kane have shown chemistry, but what about getting Toews someone he can play well with?

I think these lines would help out Toews more.

Carcillo - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Kane - Brunette
BiBoFro (love that Bubba lol)
Olesz - Kruger - Mayers

replace Olesz with Stalberg, and Kruger with Smith when healthy.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Chelios

My thoughts on the game:

- To put it kindly, I was not impressed with Emery. It is true that he didn't have much of a shot on the first 2 goals, but the 3rd and the one called off he looked absolutely horrible on. To be fair he didn't let in the tying goal... so I guess that is something positive

- As has been said, the 3rd line looked downright dominant. My only concern is the fact that Bickell couldn't finish despite several glorious opportunities, hopefully that changes. Frolik also had a beauty chance and actually let a pretty good shot go but Pavelec made a nice save. This line does have the makings of one of the best 3rd lines in the league.

- Kane line looked excellent. I actually think that Carcillo, if he can keep his head screwed on right, is skilled enough to play with these guys. He actually made a few nice passes out there. I also like the idea of having someone like that on a line with Kane, you know there would be instant retribution for any liberties taken with him.

- Toews had a horrible game. It is games like this that makes me appreciate Toews even more. I have seen almost every game of his professional career and I think I can count on one (maybe 2) hand how many truely bad games he has had. Its one thing to not play well offensively, but to do that as well as play poorly defensively is extremely rare for him.

- I felt the defence as a whole were fine if unspectacular. No real issues one way or another this game which I suppose is a good thing.

- Kruger. I am beginning to like this guy on the 4th line. His positioning is virtually flawless, he is always in the right position. It seems Q agrees since he was out there in the last 2min with a 1 goal lead. He also actually had a couple nice plays in the offensive zone (one where he set up sharp, one where he fought off a defender behind the net and drew what should have been a penalty). I would like him to stay up since I think his offensive game will come. Even if it doesn't he is good enough defensively to put out there and not have to worry.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Mascht88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
doesn't work what? Brunnette has 2 goals in 3 games. Your out of your mind. You better blame Sharp or Toews before you try moving brunno off the 1st line. he is perfect at cleanup around the net his hands around the net were missing last year also a garbage goal guy. I like stalberg just not to screw up the 1st line. Stalberg has no hands around the net and can not plant himself in front of a net gets pushed around easily. Stalberg bottom 6 unless Carcillo or Brunette injured. Stalberg would be ok with Hossa and Kane but not on 1st line Brunette is just to valuable to be playing elsewhere.
I said IF the top line doesn't work, we have to try something else. Like a couple guys mentioned before, Brunette got his two goals in the PP. I really like Bruno at 5on4, but at even strength he wasn't something special.
That being said, we should give Bruno some time to acclimate.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:17 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
/| Well yes and no MG. Brunette is still playing with Sharp and Toews on the PP.
I can't really put a finger on it, as to why, but it seems other than Kaner, new wingers seem to have trouble adapting their play to Toews. Even Sharp and Toews seem to be out of sync without Kane there. It is too early to say but maybe Brunette will be the exception, and they will click playing together. Brunette's ability to get those goals from in close, have emerged already as a Hawk and Stan looks like a genius by picking him up... so far that is.
He's everything we've needed for our powerplay unit, but the reason he has trouble synching up with Toews and Sharp is because the play is 100 feet ahead of him all the time. Would suggest playing Frolik there, but the third line is just too good to break up right now.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:38 PM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
He's everything we've needed for our powerplay unit, but the reason he has trouble synching up with Toews and Sharp is because the play is 100 feet ahead of him all the time. Would suggest playing Frolik there, but the third line is just too good to break up right now.

Two games! And we have to break Break Bruno from Toews and Sharp.

I like the combo. Toews and Sharp will have to adjust a bit to not having Kane (a premier passer) but both are also decent passers as well as having shooting skills. Sharp and Toews both have puck skills and tend to be able to establish the zone and keep puck control. Bruno is the perfect guy for garbage goals in that scenario.
(BOLD PREDICTION) All 3 guys on that line will top 30 goals this year.

I really didn't see a "synching up" issue, what I do see is Toews playing poorly, making bad passes and giving away the puck a lot which he seems to do every October. Any rush to judgment about the viability of the line would be (IMO) premature.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:41 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

The only guy on the roster I'd even want to see get a shot in that role over Bruno is Smith, but Brunette hasn't done ANYTHING at even strength.

If Brunette pots thirty, I'll eat my hat.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
The only guy on the roster I'd even want to see get a shot in that role over Bruno is Smith, but Brunette hasn't done ANYTHING at even strength.

I'll add to the hat-eating if he puts in 10 goals at even strength.

I'm with you for Smith on the top line for ES, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Stalberg or Olesz up there just to try it out.

Both were reportedly looking solid with Toews in training camp, though I still have my doubts that they'd stick.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:50 PM
brevard*

Quote:

I hope Smith is everything everyone pretends he is.

NOTE**
Smith projects as an NHLer. nobody NOBODY prior to last years playoffs would have ever expected Smith to score more than 5 to 10 goals a year. He is a good mucker/soldier kind of guy. People are making rather lofty projections based on one hot week.

NOTE #2 **
If Smith does end up belonging on the 1st line you won't have a hat to eat because I'll eat it for you. If Smith does end up being top 6 material our prospect pool is F-ing loaded (it's strong now).

Old
10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
massivegoonery

These are different problems than we've had before, maybe they work out a rotation or something. Say, Bruno takes every other shift ES with the top line while still getting top PP time. Smith or Stalberg would take the other shift and play almost every shift with the fourth line and no PP time.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

vCash: 50
Never thought of Smith taking over Bruno's place on the top line. Move Bruno to the 4th line or something like that. Then, have Bruno play on the PP top line. Seems like he lumbers around and takes a while to set up in the O zone 5-5. As long as it takes him to get down ice I think he should make a bee line to the front of the net and park right there.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Sevanston

Quote:

NOTE**
Smith projects as an NHLer. nobody NOBODY prior to last years playoffs would have ever expected Smith to score more than 5 to 10 goals a year. He is a good mucker/soldier kind of guy. People are making rather lofty projections based on one hot week.

NOTE #2 **
If Smith does end up belonging on the 1st line you won't have a hat to eat because I'll eat it for you. If Smith does end up being top 6 material our prospect pool is F-ing loaded (it's strong now).
I don't think Smith has the skill or creativity most people associate with being in the top 6, but he does seem to have a dirty knack for finding rebounds.

That skill alone could make him a decent stand-in in any top 6.

I wouldn't expect him to stick there regularly, but we don't have too many options in terms of top 6 wingers now that Kane plays center.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:24 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:

NOTE**

NOTE #2 **
For somebody who defends Kruger as much as you do, a prospect who has proven something at the NHL level - and scored regularly in his limited minutes - should be right up your alley.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:27 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I don't think Smith has the skill or creativity most people associate with being in the top 6, but he does seem to have a dirty knack for finding rebounds.

That skill alone could make him a decent stand-in in any top 6.

I wouldn't expect him to stick there regularly, but we don't have too many options in terms of top 6 wingers now that Kane plays center.
Our top two left wings are currently Brunette and Carcillo. Neither have the skill or creativity most people associate with top six wingers. He's a better skating dirty goal scorer. Doesn't have Brunette's hands, but his ability to keep up 5v5 is worth a whole lot more.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Panzerspitze

y'all be eating your hats when Ben Smith pots 30 goals... This guy has "it". I know it, just like I knew Mark Buerhle got "it".

Old
10-15-2011, 07:01 AM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Emery sucks ,, But Hawks hold on
I try to reserve judgement but he sure looked an awful lot like Turco to me...how many times did he lose his net and was scrambling like a fish out of water? Is Salak worse then this guy? I hope not because if that was his best, which I'm not saying it was but...Crawford is going to have to play 65-70 games just to make the playoffs.

Old
10-15-2011, 07:46 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. If it comes to fruition our top 9 will be just as deep if not deeper than two years ago.

Also I hate Brunette on the first line...he's too slow to keep up with Toews/Sharp. I compare him to a smarter, more balanced (literally) Kopecky. The problem is that lines 2/3 look good and he's certainly not a 4th liner. Nice to have an actual net presence on the PP too.

I'm fine with the Bickell/Bolland/Frolik line but to compare it to Ladd/Bolland/Havlat is a bit absurd. Bickell is no where near the player Ladd or Havlat is/was. It's good to see his play stepped up a bit this year(laying big hits). He has the worst one timer shot on the team. He hesitates every time he's fed the puck. I like the guy and all, but mostly for his cap hit.

Old
10-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascht88 View Post
Well, I have to agree that your lineup actually looks better than mine.

But after Carcillos great game and seeing the 2nd line click out there it's hard to split those guys.
for me, I would put Bruno in the 4th line 5 on 5. He would be rested the whole season and would get a lot of PP Time

Old
10-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

vCash: 50
I agree Bubba. Put someone with Toews/Sharp who is fast and has a knack for being around the puck (and can finish....not Stalberg). Use Bruno for the PP.

Old
10-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
for me, I would put Bruno in the 4th line 5 on 5. He would be rested the whole season and would get a lot of PP Time
I agree there is a bit of a mismatch here. On one hand, his net presense should help Sharp/Toews, or Kane/Hossa, but his lack of speed really slows both of those lines down. You don't want him on the third line, so that leaves the 4th, but he isn't a 4th line player.

Ultimately, I think he stays where he is. Sharp and Toews will get used to working with him. Frankly those two need to get their own timing back. Toews hasn't been "on" yet this year, nor has Sharp. Although Sharp has a pass because he saw his first action of any kind during the season opener. Still, need to get those two going.

Closed Thread