HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The NHL Goalie Poll AKA "The Luongo Test" - #1

View Poll Results: Ignoring age, salary, etc. and based on play alone, which goalie is best right now?
Tim Thomas 68 40.96%
Ryan Miller 6 3.61%
Henrik Lundqvist 29 17.47%
Roberto Luongo 7 4.22%
Pekka Rinne 36 21.69%
Ilya Bryzgalov 1 0.60%
Carey Price 10 6.02%
Marc-Andre Fleury 2 1.20%
Cam Ward 0 0%
Martin Brodeur 1 0.60%
Niklas Backstrom 0 0%
Miikka Kiprusoff 0 0%
Jonas Hiller 2 1.20%
Jaroslav Halak 0 0%
Martin Brodeur 4 2.41%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
I went with price just because based on his team around him, (especially the D-men) he doesnt have a lot to work with, plus he starts 70+ games a year, if you put Carey in Philadelphia or Boston he would have a stellar year just because theyre so much better defensively than Montreal. and Carey has the best fundamentals and angles of any of these goalies by far. plus he still takes up a lot of net, if i were going for a cup run, Carey would be my guy because he's super reliable.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:04 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
how do you check who voted on who?

And this really sucks because it's going to be flooded by non canuck fans.

Old
10-14-2011, 04:25 AM
MightyPirate

vCash: 500
Why is Kipper on this list?

Old
10-14-2011, 05:17 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyPirate View Post
Why is Kipper on this list?
I would say because he's a damn good goalie. It's not his fault the team in front of him sucks. Not to mention he's not a drama queen. You never see him react after a goal, good goal or bad goal.

Send him to a good team and he'd be the talk of the town again.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Reign Nateo

Went with Pekka Rinne. Very calm, poised and consistant. Combine that with his size and quickness, and he's my choice.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:39 AM
InTentsProductions*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul View Post
Thats because we don't overrate him. He is a great goalie but not the best in the NHL.... I'd say Top 5.
but your fan base overrates: brodeur, miller, price, fleury, hiller, bryz, and rinne right?

Old
10-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Bleach Clean

From what I can tell, Luongo, Miller, and Howard are the only goalies to play in an offensive system. The others, are backed by teams that think D first. Van has great two-way play, but their MO is an attacking style. That has to factor into the decision IMO.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:39 AM
mossey3535

I am a fan of most of the guys on this list, but it just goes to show how 1) underwhelming 2) unproven and 3) homogenous the choices are:

Young goalies who really haven't accomplished much (2 or less playoff rounds) but are big and are technically strong: Rinne, Price, Hiller, Halak (Jaroslav is not that big though ). Also, noone on this list has consistently put up worldbeater stats - most have only one season of 30+ wins and >.920 save percentage.

Older goalies who have put up great regular season stats but no postseason success: Lundqvist, Backstrom. IMO they don't pass the Giguere test.

Older goalies with one good playoff run (conference finals or better) who have put up great regular season stats: Luongo, Miller, Kiprusoff.

Middle aged goalies with a single stanley cup and somewhat inconsistent regular season stats: Fleury, Ward, Bryzgalov (not as a starter)

Tim Thomas. Knock on him is that he can't play an entire regular season workload (never over 66 games, he averages around 50). He does have a Stanley Cup but he might be a product of Boston's defense. For example, his numbers are identical to Rask's if you flip flop their last two seasons.

Of course, Tim Thomas is still an exceptional goalie but just pointing out that this list is filled with a lot of question marks.

Finally, Martin Brodeur. Arguably the king but now past his prime, he has put up great regular season stats, won Stanley Cups but also has some terrible postseason performances to go along with his amazing performances (such as winning the Cup while going through a messy divorce).

When you look at past performance, Luongo doesn't look all that bad among this group but of course hardly anyone picked the poor guy.

I voted for Brodeur because I misinterpeted the question but I wish I could change my choice to Fleury. He has the experience, is technically good and amazingly athletic. He has a Cup from two trips to the Cup finals. Most importantly - he has shown last year and in the beginning of this year that he can carry a team without Malkin or Crosby.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:39 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
From what I can tell, Luongo, Miller, and Howard are the only goalies to play in an offensive system. The others, are backed by teams that think D first. Van has great two-way play, but their MO is an attacking style. That has to factor into the decision IMO.
Yup, and that's why Miller and Luongo, while generally very solid, will have occasional games where they just look bad and get embarrassed compared to some of the others. Bruins and Canadiens play very goalie friendly systems in particular.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:50 AM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Yup, and that's why Miller and Luongo, while generally very solid, will have occasional games where they just look bad and get embarrassed compared to some of the others. Bruins and Canadiens play very goalie friendly systems in particular.
How far back are we going to go calling the Buffalo Sabres an offensive team? Maybe this year but Lindy Ruff has always been known as a defense-first guy.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
I know there's a lot of Luongo threads and if there isn't an appetite to want to do this I'll delete the thread and forget about it.
This thread is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
The real test would be to take this poll to the other fan bases teams.
For the love of all that's holy, please don't.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:08 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
I would say because he's a damn good goalie. It's not his fault the team in front of him sucks. Not to mention he's not a drama queen. You never see him react after a goal, good goal or bad goal.

Nice fantasy. I wonder if "drama free" Mikka has given up smoking yet?

Old
10-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
How far back are we going to go calling the Buffalo Sabres an offensive team? Maybe this year but Lindy Ruff has always been known as a defense-first guy.

Ruff employs both. He's a very strong coach. Buffalo also tends to draft and use "skill" players throughout their line-up. I'd say Miller's teams have ranged from being offensive and defensive in nature, while others on the list play for D first teams.

Funny thing is, D first teams like Boston last year outscored the nucks handily throughout the postseason. So there's that to also factor in.

You bring up a good point though: if there are question marks about most of the goalies on the list, how do we judge elite goaltending talent? And if there is no clear signifier, why do teams elect to pay some goalies big money, while others go with cheaper alternatives and spend the money elsewhere?

Old
10-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post

Yes, that's why Vokoun sucked in Florida... oh wait, he was regularly posting Top 5 or Top 10 Sv% but had a bad GAA. You simply don't watch the Flames often enough or don't know what you're talking about when it comes to goaltending. Kiprusoff hasn't been a Top 10 goalie in this league for at least 3 or 4 years now, maybe not even Top 15 anymore.

Old
10-14-2011, 05:24 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Nice fantasy. I wonder if "drama free" Mikka has given up smoking yet?
i agree that anyone voting for kipper at this stage is out to lunch, but there's no doubt he's still a top 15 goalie deserving of being on the ballot. lets call him the michelle bachmann of goalies.

Old
10-14-2011, 05:37 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Ruff employs both. He's a very strong coach. Buffalo also tends to draft and use "skill" players throughout their line-up. I'd say Miller's teams have ranged from being offensive and defensive in nature, while others on the list play for D first teams.

Funny thing is, D first teams like Boston last year outscored the nucks handily throughout the postseason. So there's that to also factor in.

You bring up a good point though: if there are question marks about most of the goalies on the list, how do we judge elite goaltending talent? And if there is no clear signifier, why do teams elect to pay some goalies big money, while others go with cheaper alternatives and spend the money elsewhere?
Pretty easy when the Sedins and Kesler disappear for long stretches. Henrik really showed up for 1 series, same with Kesler. Daniel appeared and disappeared at random throughout the playoffs.

Closed Thread