HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens Claim Steve Webb

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 10:22 PM
Jacob

vCash: 500
I don't know, I thought McKenna played well tonight. Those 9 goals last season were no fluke, I think he's genuinely more talented than the average goon.

But neither Webb nor McKenna are every day players. And this team right now is all about competition.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Unholy Diver

another punching bag

Old
10-23-2003, 03:37 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

This explains a little further why things happened as they did....

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins...slog1023p5.asp
Quote:
He was signed by the Flyers out of unrestricted free agency last week, but NHL rules call for any player signed after the September waiver draft and before Dec. 1 to be put through the waiver wire first.

Old
10-23-2003, 04:09 AM
Langevin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
I remember he was an alternate captain for a little while with the Isles. Wasn't that in the playoffs?

The Islanders rewarded the players that were here the longest. After the Isles clinched 2 years ago they gave the 3 stars to Jonnson, Lapointe, and Webb. They also made Webb and "A" in one of the games at home againist the Leafs.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:09 AM
303Joe

I'll echo what Langevin26 said about Webb..

Watched for years. The guy gives what he has every shift he plays the problem is he maybe one of the least talented players in the league. Hes a great agitator as long as he doesn't drop his gloves hes alright. When the gloves come off lets say he can take a beating w/ the best of them. Problem has been he has been getting abck spams and missing 5-10 games a clip when this occurs. Isles didn't have to resign him after they got Godard a true heavywieght and they also had several younger players that they wanted to get some playing time to and Webb would just take up a spot. I saw a few questions on the board about him. 1st the question why the Pens just didn't sign him 2 days ago instead of letting Philly sign him. maybe the Pens waitied to see what he was going to sign for and if it was a 2 way contract. Also saw some guys talking about McKenna. McKenna is a little better players than WEbb is. Have fun watching Webb run around when hes running around he great to watch just don't expect much else from him other than some great hits.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:26 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I'll take 3 or 4 bone-crushing hits a game, over a 1 in 20 chance that McKenna will win a fight or tip the puck into the net on any given night. Maybe McKenna isn't going anywhere. Maybe he scratches every night Webb plays, and comes in when Webb has his back go out.

Anyway, as somenoe else noted, the idea behind a guy like Webb is to get the crowd involved every night... and the Pens need that badly. Last night's telecast sounded like it was being beamed into my home from a funeral parlor.

"Are the fans dead?" I wondered....

:p

Old
10-23-2003, 06:47 AM
303Joe

Well Webb will do a great job..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
I'll take 3 or 4 bone-crushing hits a game, over a 1 in 20 chance that McKenna will win a fight or tip the puck into the net on any given night. Maybe McKenna isn't going anywhere. Maybe he scratches every night Webb plays, and comes in when Webb has his back go out.

Anyway, as somenoe else noted, the idea behind a guy like Webb is to get the crowd involved every night... and the Pens need that badly. Last night's telecast sounded like it was being beamed into my home from a funeral parlor.

getting the fans into the game w/ his big hits. Have fun watching him hes is a fun player to watch. As an isles fan I have nothing bad to say about him. As I said earlier he gives it his all every shift he plays. Alot of fans were sad to see him not resigned. The Isles though got a bigger much needed heavyweight in Godard and then has several younger players they wanted to get a look at. Thats why Webb went unsigned. I'm gald he was signed by another team and has a chance to play in the NHL.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:30 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
I was hoping that the Wild would sign/pick him up. I like him...seems like Toronto fans hate him though.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:01 AM
look out for orpik

well apparently they've wanted him since the summer .... i really like this pickup, cant wait to see him in action

Quote:
He did say, however, that the Penguins had been considering signing Webb since this summer. "We talked about him all summer long, but we couldn't make the right decision back early in the summer because we didn't know exactly how our lineup was going to shake out."
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-.../s_161388.html

Old
10-23-2003, 08:14 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
For Simpson I'm fine with it.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:24 AM
Ticallion961

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib
I was hoping that the Wild would sign/pick him up. I like him...seems like Toronto fans hate him though.
its no wonder leaf fans hate him, in that series two years ago he was a menace, he had so many very hard hits. He looked as though he was out for tuckers blood during the series, even before the peca thing

Old
10-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Ric Flair

Send a message via AIM to Ric Flair Send a message via MSN to Ric Flair Send a message via Yahoo to Ric Flair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy

They were prolly all listening to a Bill Cowher press conference repeated for the 26th time on a set of headphones.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelBriere21
They were prolly all listening to a Bill Cowher press conference repeated for the 26th time on a set of headphones.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:56 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

the more i think about this, the more i really like it. the Pens really do need someone like this.

also, since i didnt really get to see him play, does Lefevbre play like Webb at all?

Old
10-23-2003, 06:45 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
the more i think about this, the more i really like it. the Pens really do need someone like this.

also, since i didnt really get to see him play, does Lefevbre play like Webb at all?

our Lefevbre?

hmmm
no

Old
10-23-2003, 07:25 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkouklos
our Lefevbre?

hmmm
no
yeah. all i really know about his style is a high speed checker, but i dont know how hard he hits or how often. i know he has some scoring touch to him. i was refering more to the energetic/hitting style, if he did this in a similar way to webb.

btw, webb will be scratched for the devils game, as the Pens want him to get some conditioning first.

Old
10-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Webb is a guy that can really hit and is an agitator. His fighting skills are sub par, but he does fight better than McKenna. He has no offensive skill, and he has problems staying healthy. I really enjoyed what Webb brought to the Isles, but with the emergance of Godard as the true heavyweight he really had no place.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:34 AM
CJHF13

Send a message via AIM to CJHF13
We're becoming the Pittsburgh Islanders.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Der Schweinehund

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHF13
We're becoming the Pittsburgh Islanders.
Given how players have almost universally blossomed after leaving Long Island (in the Mad Mike regime), count me in for saying "I don't mind being the Pittsburgh Islanders at all."

Old
10-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
besides Webb the only player we have that came from Long Island is Dick Tarnstrom...

Closed Thread