HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Status of Patrick Eaves

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2005, 08:50 PM
RTWAP*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Trade Fisher.
The reasons you want to trade Fisher now are exactly the same reasons why he isn't worth anything now.

If they decide they need to trade him, they'll probably wait until he back from injury and has put together a decent string of games.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:52 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone
We don't take the cap hit when he is on injured reserve.
Wrong. You always take a cap hit for a signed player ... always!

The injury exception allows you to exceed your cap by up to the amount of the injured players salary, if you are already at or near the cap.

Old
10-22-2005, 09:25 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheWiseNPowerful
Wrong. You always take a cap hit for a signed player ... always!

The injury exception allows you to exceed your cap by up to the amount of the injured players salary, if you are already at or near the cap.
I don't know if your right. For example the Maple leafs have Sundin injured and I was watching TSN and Dave Hodge and Glen Healy were talking about how the leafs are going to save 2 million dollars on the Sundin injury that doesn't count against the cap. Then they were saying at the deadline the leafs could use that 2 million dollars they saved on Sundins injury and use that money to upgrade there defense. Thus injured players salory does not count against the cap.

Old
10-23-2005, 10:50 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
I think I took a little heat for suggesting something like this just before the season began.

I love the player that Fisher is and all he brings to the team on and off the ice.

However......

I'm not sure at this point in his career if he's played more games than sat in the trainer's room, but I'm guessing the ratio is probably close to 60 percent healthy/40 percent injured.

In this new cap era it does hurt because the player called up to take his place on the roster (Eaves) does count against the cap. (from what I understand, but I'm not a capologist like Strachan or Healy)
Hey, I've called for it for a long time too, so you didn't take any heat from me.

Not including this season, Fisher's regular season numbers are 251 games played out of a possible 410 (regular season games). So, 61%. Good guess. I doubt that Fisher has ever been benched, so this is assuming that all the games he has missed are due to injury.

Old
10-23-2005, 11:04 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheWiseNPowerful
The reasons you want to trade Fisher now are exactly the same reasons why he isn't worth anything now.

If they decide they need to trade him, they'll probably wait until he back from injury and has put together a decent string of games.
Obviously it's difficult to trade Fisher, but the fact that Ottawa would get very little in return should tell you that he's known as consistently injury prone and only Milbury would trade for him. Surely we can't rip off the Islanders again?

Old
10-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Lonnie Loach

I believe Fisher has only missed 2 playoff games in his career - same as Chara. Everything that's being said about Fish being injury prone without a doubt has merit but as frustrating as his injury problems are, I'll stand up for Fish. I would not give up on him. Six games ago people were talking about what a promising future he has and how he might be a future captain of this team. Does another short term injury change all of that thinking ? He simply has too many intangible qualities that are really difficult to find in a player. He's more than just an energy guy. He's a character player with strong leadership qualities, committed to his teammates and the community. He's on the verge of breaking through and becoming a more effective offensive player. I think if he does not continue his development as an offensive player, then maybe you think much more seriously about trading him. Maybe it's just me, but I hate to give up on young, promising players that the Sens have drafted and developed. The Leafs gave up on Alyn Macauley for similar reasons, and they have lived to regret it (in fact they placed him on waivers at one point and no one claimed him). Now look at him in San Jose.

Old
10-24-2005, 03:29 PM
VanCanuck

i have a question:
what about schubert, still a healthy scratch? why not send him down to the baby sens for some playing time?

Old
10-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Pangu

No. he will be lost on waivers. That's why we have him on the big team and don't play him.

Old
10-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Excuse me for interrupting the Fisher discussion, but getting back to topic A of this thread...

Can you guys please give me an update on how Patrick Eaves is doing? I understand that he played in his first NHL game over the weekend(?). I'd love to know how he looked in his first NHL game and what you all liked (or didn't like) about him when watching him. Thanks in advance.

Old
10-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Excuse me for interrupting the Fisher discussion, but getting back to topic A of this thread...

Can you guys please give me an update on how Patrick Eaves is doing? I understand that he played in his first NHL game over the weekend(?). I'd love to know how he looked in his first NHL game and what you all liked (or didn't like) about him when watching him. Thanks in advance.
It's funny. He looked way out of his league in training camp and the preseason. Too small, too slow (top speed). I was kind of disappointed after following his great college career.

He lucked out with the injuries and suspension. He has been a hit, and has improved each game. Enthusiastic, finishes his checks, pretty good on the boards. He even got his first goal vs. Carolina.

I think he was shocked by the speed of the game at first, but is now learning to apply his skills. My only worry is his build. I wouldn't mind if he bulked up and became stronger on the puck. He could also get a tiny bit faster.

I see him as a 3rd line Peter Shaeffer type player with the upside of being a second line playmaking winger.

Old
10-27-2005, 10:48 AM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
It's funny. He looked way out of his league in training camp and the preseason. Too small, too slow (top speed). I was kind of disappointed after following his great college career.

He lucked out with the injuries and suspension. He has been a hit, and has improved each game. Enthusiastic, finishes his checks, pretty good on the boards. He even got his first goal vs. Carolina.

I think he was shocked by the speed of the game at first, but is now learning to apply his skills. My only worry is his build. I wouldn't mind if he bulked up and became stronger on the puck. He could also get a tiny bit faster.

I see him as a 3rd line Peter Shaeffer type player with the upside of being a second line playmaking winger.
Great call. Eaves looked entirely ineffective in camp. After playing relatively well in the rookie tourney, he just did not impress in camp. To my delightful surprise he has jumped into his first couple of NHL games looking sharp again. Gotta think there is some US blood chemistry between Eaves and Smoke, so from that standpoint Smoke looks slightly more desirable despite his lacklustre start. Needless to say Alfie just keeps the train chuggin along and holds that line together. However, Eaves has been very effective on the ice - using that good hockey head of his to make the smart play. His skating has much improved, I suspected that most of his skating issues prior to this was for lollygagging around in awe anyways. As long as he's hustling out there he can get around.

It will likely be an up and down year for him based on the numbers game, but if he continues to play well in the bigs then I could see them squeezing him in.

Closed Thread