HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tremblay speaks out against Don Cherry

View Poll Results: Do you think Don cherry should hang up the suit?
No he is pure entertainment and makes complete sense. 13 15.85%
Yes fire him he's finished! 69 84.15%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-15-2011, 02:16 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
5 leafs fans voted in the poll

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:17 PM
groovejuice

An anachronism shrouded in ignorance wrapped in furniture upholstery.

Should be "Drapes"

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:20 PM
BJG

I think CBC would open itself up to a disciminatory lawsuit, given Don Cherry's severe mental illness, namely his dementia and paranoia. They may be able to fire him, though, on the grounds that he's a racist and all-around *********.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:29 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

I believe Cherry could be gone by next summer. The decisive backlash is just waiting to happen, out there all across Canada -- it only needs to be defined and directed correctly.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Riggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainC View Post
Can you add the "he is entertaining but doesn't make any sense" option in the poll?
Yeah, these poll options suck

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:39 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think he should retire...but no way CBC fires him with the cash he's bringing in.
What cash ? You think that people will stop watching HNIC the day the guy gets off the air ? No way in hell...

Right now, he's costing us, tax payers, way too much and for what ? So he uses his air time to promote his political agenda ?

This guy should have been off the air (at least the public air) for a long time...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I believe Cherry could be gone by next summer. The decisive backlash is just waiting to happen, out there all across Canada -- it only needs to be defined and directed correctly.
All that means is that more people will tune in to CC and CBCs ad revenue will keep going up. No way they dump him because he is in the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
What cash ? You think that people will stop watching HNIC the day the guy gets off the air ? No way in hell...

Right now, he's costing us, tax payers, way too much and for what ? So he uses his air time to promote his political agenda ?

This guy should have been off the air (at least the public air) for a long time...
TSN is licking their lips thinking of Cherry retiring. Don is iconic and HNIC won't be the same once he is gone. I'm in the group that finds him entertaining but usually way off the ball.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-15-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: merged
Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:48 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
TSN is licking their lips thinking of Cherry retiring. Don is iconic and HNIC won't be the same once he is gone. I'm in the group that finds him entertaining but usually way off the ball.
Yeah, I heard that before with the theme song... won't happen...

Old
10-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Aeneas

"MONTREAL -- The CBC and much of English Canada are backing Don Cherry after his latest diatribe"

"But while commentators and fans in English Canada are backing the outspoken advocate of Rock 'em, Sock 'em hockey"

I don't know where they are getting this from, most people disagree with cherry, i know a lot of toronto fans love him because CBC loves the leafs, but most leaf fans i talk to in the area think he's an idiot too and he crossed the line with his comments. I can't speak for everyone, just like the author can't, but the majority of people i speak to in Hamilton don't like Cherry or his comments.

so the author can eff off trying to make it seem like its only Quebec who doesn't like cherry lol

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 03:14 PM
number72

There is only one way to solve the difference in opinion. Tremblay and Cherry need to drop the gloves out on the ice then we will know who is right.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
"MONTREAL -- The CBC and much of English Canada are backing Don Cherry after his latest diatribe"

"But while commentators and fans in English Canada are backing the outspoken advocate of Rock 'em, Sock 'em hockey"

I don't know where they are getting this from, most people disagree with cherry, i know a lot of toronto fans love him because CBC loves the leafs, but most leaf fans i talk to in the area think he's an idiot too and he crossed the line with his comments. I can't speak for everyone, just like the author can't, but the majority of people i speak to in Hamilton don't like Cherry or his comments.

so the author can eff off trying to make it seem like its only Quebec who doesn't like cherry lol
I live in "english Canada", and I don't know a single person who is backing Don Cherry. Maybe "french Canada" is sensationalizing this statement?

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Serious HABit

what a terrible article making this seems like a cherry v quebec issue...oh no

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:12 PM
glenn77

Quote:

So being from Hamilton what Leaf fans are there - the bums on Kenilworth or the prostitutes on Barton? Did I miss anyone......nope that's about it in Hamilton.

glenn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Habsfunk

Quote:

That's what i was going to write about. It seems ridiculous that the writer is trying to turn this into an English-French thing. The backlash against Cherry is widespread. The Globe and Mail, that bastion of English Canada's elite, is one of his biggest critics.

Really, this article is simply part of Quebecor's ongoing campaign against the CBC. That said, Tremblay is right and Cherry should be shown the door.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I don't think anyone should be fired unless they are doing a poor job. He's not. He makes CBC money and draws a crowd for his controversial opinions, therefore, he should not be fired over a couple of comments that hurt a few guys feelings.

I can't help but feel that a lot of the problems in the Habs fan base with Cherry stems back to his criticism of french players, was he over the top, sure, was he wrong, sure, get over it, most in the country enjoy Coach's Corner and take it for what it's worth.

Don Cherry may come off a bit fanatical and downright outrageous at times, but he has a lot of valuable information as well and is right more often that not, he's set in his ways, much the way most of us are, he just has a larger audience.
Personally, I think he should be fired or retire because he's an idiot. But if I'm going to use that logic, then Michel Bergeron, Gaston Therrien, Stephane Langdeau, Jean Perron, and a bunch of others from RDS/TVA should also be fired or retire.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:18 PM
zaluty

Cherry is what he is but do not think he is a dinosaur with no ideas on todays game. He is in the forefront of downsizing equipment, especially elbow pads which are like armoured weapons these days and he has always been outspoken about no touch icing. Yes he is outrageous and yes he has said things about Europeans and French Canadians but he also has his favourites among these groups also. You want Don Cherry off the air it is simple when he comes on change the channel, if enough people do this CBC will see a drop in ratings and sponsors will also but every one on here seems well informed about him so I can only conclude he must be watched regularly by everyone on here and that is what will keep him on air.

zaluty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
There is only one way to solve the difference in opinion. Tremblay and Cherry need to drop the gloves out on the ice then we will know who is right.
Haha I wish. The Blueberry would severely kick Cherry's ass. Food fight !

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Personally, I think he should be fired or retire because he's an idiot. But if I'm going to use that logic, then Michel Bergeron, Gaston Therrien, Stephane Langdeau, Jean Perron, and a bunch of others from RDS/TVA should also be fired or retire.
With the exception that the tax payers don't pay their salaries contrary to Cherry.

Old
10-15-2011, 05:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

About 15% of coach's corner makes sense. The other 85% is Don talking.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:57 PM
hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I think more people should speak up against Cherry's neanderthal opinions. Good for you Mario.

What I can't believe is your backlash
Fully agree

hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
So being from Hamilton what Leaf fans are there - the bums on Kenilworth or the prostitutes on Barton? Did I miss anyone......nope that's about it in Hamilton.
lol doesn't surprise me someone from burlington would say that, just cause your scared of hamilton. and as for leaf fans their the closest team to the city so why wouldn't there be any, the bulldogs have sparked some interest in the habs because they like seeing the players who do well here go on to the NHL, but majority are leaf fans sadly.

I'm sure there are many leaf fans too in the wanna-be oakville....oops i mean burlington

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Quebec's media aren't paid by taxpayers money.

At least, not directly.
Cherry brings tons of revenues to HNIC (more than what he makes, you better believe) with his show though.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:40 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Tremblay he was a tough guy for a middle weight when he played. I remember he took on John Wensink, Stan Johnthan, Pat Price among other league heavyweights

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
wtf are u guys talking about...its not Mario Tremblay who said that but REJEAN tremblay...big mistake from canoe

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:44 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If things were done this way, there wouldn't be a single politician still in office, not that i'm necessarily opposed to that

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote