HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Years Realignment Swap

View Poll Results: Detroit leaves the Central. Yay/Nay
Yay 9 29.03%
Nay 15 48.39%
Doesn't make a difference 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

vCash: 500
Next Years Realignment Swap

Just watching some late night TSN, Bob Mackenzie talking about next year's realignment. It's very likely that this time next season, we'll have a new team in our division.

He mentioned that most likely, Detroit would be coming out and going into the Southeast division, and Winnipeg would take their spot in the Central. He also mentioned Dallas or Minnesota as candidates to be moved into the Central as well.

It'll probably just be a straight DET/WPG swap. Going to suck to lose Detoilet as a rival, but it could be good for business if you know what I mean

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:51 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

What a stupid decision. Detroit in the same division as Florida, over Nashville? ridiculous.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:53 AM
DetRedWings109*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
What a stupid decision. Detroit in the same division as Florida, over Nashville? ridiculous.
It might help the attendance for Panthers though.

DetRedWings109* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:05 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Apparently Detroit was promised the first move to the Eastern Conference some years ago. I don't know how official that is or can be, but that's definitely part of why the speculation revolves around Detroit.

If it were up to me, I'd do away with east and west. Mix up the conferences, but keep regional divisions as best as possible within the jumble. However, that's pretty unlikely.

Detroit to the Southeast and Winnipeg to the Central works. However, as long as you're realigning, I think you take the opportunity to fix a couple problems. Colorado to the Pacific and Dallas to the Central, with Winnipeg going to the Northwest is a solid way to go. Then Detroit to the Southeast is fine. My initial motivation is to put them in the Atlantic, with Philly or New Jersey going to the Southeast, but Detroit really isn't that much farther.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:14 AM
ItsOnlytheRiver

I don't really see the teams in the West giving up their best road draw. I bet Columbus to the SE and Winnipeg comes to the central.

ItsOnlytheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:21 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

I think Dallas, Minnesota, or Colorado would be a more logical choice to move into the Central Division if this sort of move should happen. Winnipeg should be in the Northwest Division with the other Canadian teams.

Going purely on a geographical theme I think these divisions make the most sense...

Central:

St. Louis
Chicago
Nashville
Columbus
Dallas

Northwest:

Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Minnesota
Winnipeg

Pacific:

San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix
Colorado

* Underlined teams switch divisions

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:48 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Columbus or Nashville should move. Columbus is the team furthest to the east. I don't understand why Detroit would move, as it would pretty much end all the rivalries that it has in the West, us, the Hawks, and the Avs. I guess it would be good for our us standing wise, but if we win the division without them in it, it won't feel the same. I want to dethrone the Wings.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:36 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I thought the latest on this issue was a much larger realignment....maybe doing away with the 2 conference model.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:40 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377916

Ok, so Bob elaborated on what he said, or the OP didn't get the entirity of the post. It's way too long to quote, and you really do need to read the whole thing because it is interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I thought the latest on this issue was a much larger realignment....maybe doing away with the 2 conference model.
Bob addresses that, how it helps resolve alot of the regular season alignment issues but it creates a ton of playoff issues if they go from a 2 conference model to a 4 division model.

I am thinking there is going to be at least 2 more expansion teams on the horizon.

Old
10-12-2011, 01:45 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
I want them to go back to four divisions. Reason: It allows the return of division playoffs. The number and intensity of rivalries has died down since the NHL went to conference playoffs.

Central
St. Louis
Chicago
Minnesota
Dallas
Colorado
Nashville
Winnipeg

Pacific
LA
Vancouver
Anaheim
San Jose
Phoenix
Calgary
Edmonton

Northeast
Detroit
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
Boston
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

Atlantic
Columbus
New York R
New York I
New Jersey
Washington
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Florida

EDIT: In this scenario both Columbus and Detroit get to move east. I should add that this scenario makes it very simple to realign if Phoenix moves to Quebec City. Simply move Detroit back to the Central and Winnipeg to the Pacific.

1-4 in each division make the playoffs. Divisional playoffs in the first and second round to determine division champions. Then a Western Conference final between the Central and Pacific champions and an Eastern Conference final between the Atlantic and Northeast.

Scheduling may be a problem.

Last edited by DrVanntastic: 10-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.
DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
I want them to go back to four divisions. Reason: It allows the return of division playoffs. The number and intensity of rivalries has died down since the NHL went to conference playoffs.

Central
St. Louis
Chicago
Minnesota
Dallas
Colorado
Nashville
Winnipeg

Pacific
LA
Vancouver
Anaheim
San Jose
Phoenix
Calgary
Edmonton

Northeast
Detroit
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
Boston
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

Atlantic
Columbus
New York R
New York I
New Jersey
Washington
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Florida

EDIT: In this scenario both Columbus and Detroit get to move east. I should add that this scenario makes it very simple to realign if Phoenix moves to Quebec City. Simply move Detroit back to the Central and Winnipeg to the Pacific.

1-4 in each division make the playoffs. Divisional playoffs in the first and second round to determine division champions. Then a Western Conference final between the Central and Pacific champions and an Eastern Conference final between the Atlantic and Northeast.

Winnipeg in The Pacific Division is a big problem. Most of their games would have 2 hour time difference. If Phoenix moves to Quebec, move Detroit to Central, and Colorado to Pacific (only one hour difference, and same as Calgary and Edmonton).

But, I'd rather have Columbus move east rather than Detroit. Then, Columbus moves back to Central with Phoenix/Quebec move. Then, add Hamilton to Northeast,and Saskatoon/Regina to Pacific, and move Toronto to the Central.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:

[snip]

Scheduling and the fact that the Eastern Conference gets the bone since it is guaranteed more Eastern teams don't make the play-offs than Western that don't. The only way that makes sense to go to 4 divisions is if the number is bumped up to 32. Or I suppose down to 28 but then you open a whole new can of worms which I would prefer this thread not get into.

Even though I brought it in, lets keep talk of expansion/contraction out of the discussion.

Old
10-12-2011, 04:50 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Scheduling and the fact that the Eastern Conference gets the bone since it is guaranteed more Eastern teams don't make the play-offs than Western that don't. The only way that makes sense to go to 4 divisions is if the number is bumped up to 32. Or I suppose down to 28 but then you open a whole new can of worms which I would prefer this thread not get into.

Even though I brought it in, lets keep talk of expansion/contraction out of the discussion.
You can fix that by having each division separate, no conferences at all. Whatever teams make it out of their divisions seed against each other as normal. Or by having one east and one west division together in a conference. That's probably not going to happen, but there are a lot of ways to make divisional playoffs work without expansion.

Old
10-12-2011, 05:30 PM
byrath

Quote:

Central
St. Louis
Chicago
Minnesota
Dallas
Colorado
Nashville
Winnipeg

Pacific
LA
Vancouver
Anaheim
San Jose
Phoenix
Calgary
Edmonton

Northeast
Detroit
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
Boston
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

Atlantic
Columbus
New York R
New York I
New Jersey
Washington
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Florida

I like this. I could foresee a couple of somewhat legitimate arguments against it ... one being the uneven team distribution, as already mentioned... two being that the Northeast division is crazy tough. Five teams considered more or less a lock to make the playoffs this year, plus a decent Montreal team.

Personally I don't see either of those as good reasons not to do it. The NHL has had unevenness before, and other leagues still do. 50% of those divisions still make the playoffs, and its pretty tough to argue that you really deserve to make it if you're not in the top half. For the second, which teams are good is constantly changing, so alignment should not be based at all around that.

byrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377916

Ok, so Bob elaborated on what he said, or the OP didn't get the entirity of the post. It's way too long to quote, and you really do need to read the whole thing because it is interesting.

Bob addresses that, how it helps resolve alot of the regular season alignment issues but it creates a ton of playoff issues if they go from a 2 conference model to a 4 division model.

I am thinking there is going to be at least 2 more expansion teams on the horizon.
It was maybe discussed for 25 seconds, he didn't mention that whole essay he has written there, holy crap.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:48 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
You can fix that by having each division separate, no conferences at all. Whatever teams make it out of their divisions seed against each other as normal. Or by having one east and one west division together in a conference. That's probably not going to happen, but there are a lot of ways to make divisional playoffs work without expansion.
It doesn't fix that 2 divisions have 7 teams and 2 divisions have 8. Which guarantee's that 2 divisions will only have 3 teams miss the playoffs while 2 divisions will have 4.

Which puts more pressure on the bigger divisions teams because the odds of them making the playoffs isn't in line with the smaller divisions.

The only way to fix that would be to go with a sheer top 16 teams make the playoffs which would be a logisitical nightmare.

Old
10-13-2011, 01:49 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
It doesn't fix that 2 divisions have 7 teams and 2 divisions have 8. Which guarantee's that 2 divisions will only have 3 teams miss the playoffs while 2 divisions will have 4.

Which puts more pressure on the bigger divisions teams because the odds of them making the playoffs isn't in line with the smaller divisions.

The only way to fix that would be to go with a sheer top 16 teams make the playoffs which would be a logisitical nightmare.
I don't have a problem with that. Play a balanced schedule, enjoy the regional rivalries, and take the top teams for the post-season.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:50 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:

If you have top two or three from each division and then wildcards among the others it works. I'm not saying it's without flaws, but there are ways. It's not going to happen, so it's not really worth getting into. And I agree that expansion is the best way to get divisional playoffs back. Just not the only way that works.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:38 PM
BlueNhockeytown

re

This is talked about frequently here in Detroit. They desperately want to move to the East here and I understand why. They are in the Eastern time zone and the games out West come on so late. Plus most of the original six (which they take pretty seriously) are in the East but the NHL has hosed them from getting enough games against those teams. Being on the border to Ontario, there is demand to see Detroit v Toronto more often.

Anyway, I hope they get what they want, it also helps us. They do not consider the Blues any kind of rival up here, which when I moved here struck me as odd.

BlueNhockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 03:21 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNhockeytown View Post
This is talked about frequently here in Detroit. They desperately want to move to the East here and I understand why. They are in the Eastern time zone and the games out West come on so late. Plus most of the original six (which they take pretty seriously) are in the East but the NHL has hosed them from getting enough games against those teams. Being on the border to Ontario, there is demand to see Detroit v Toronto more often.

Anyway, I hope they get what they want, it also helps us. They do not consider the Blues any kind of rival up here, which when I moved here struck me as odd.
We've never knocked them out of the playoffs we're just a bump on the road to the Cup still. I don't know how long that will last with age being in the division's favor from here on out; but if they get relocated I won't consider it a loss of a rivalry either since we're at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to a full blown rebuild versus serious contender.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote