HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus Pens vs Caps 10/13/11

Old
10-14-2011, 04:26 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

vCash: 500
What Asham did was fine, IMO. It wasn't really all that offensive.. the only reason why it would be is because of how bad he ****ed up Beagle. He apologized right after the game was over. It's the Pens though, so obviously it's a huge deal.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:09 PM
HuskerTornado
A Bigger Boat

People need to pull the sticks out of their hindquarters if this gets them all worked up and in a tizzy.

Too many act as though he stood over Beagle and barked at him ala Trevor Gillies on Eric Tangradi.

This was also after a clean fight, not a dirty or cheap shot.

I've also heard "Beagle is a weight class below Asham!" Really? Since when does being 4 inches shorter and 10 pounds lighter equate a higher weight class?

I guess an apology for a 2 second subdued adrenaline rush celebration just isn't enough for some people. They want a suspension...Perhaps a public flogging is in order as well?

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:25 PM

Beagle clearly got KOed by the punch but did the bleeding come from him landing face first on his visor?

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:37 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

Ovechkin ticked me off with his rant at Asham when he got in the penalty box. Asham was right to tell him to F off. If Ovie was that upset by it, why didn't he or someone else get Asham the next time he was on the ice?

Because Boudreau told them to forget it, it wasn't important. It was a mutual fight, no-one got jumped and there was a winner and a loser, just like always. Sure, Arron was a little over the top in his celebration but once he saw that Beagle was hurt and then was able to get up and off the ice, he tapped his stick in respect.

He didn't mean to hurt him, but it happens. Like I said before, if Ovechkin was that upset over it don't just yell at him through the glass, go get him. Otherwise shut the hell up.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:47 PM
wej20

I don't mind Ovie shouting at Asham through the glass, I mean he's just seen one of his team mates get KO'd but it does come across as hypocritical for him to comment on show-boating.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:55 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I don't mind Ovie shouting at Asham through the glass, I mean he's just seen one of his team mates get KO'd but it does come across as hypocritical for him to comment on show-boating.
If he was that mad about it, he should have done something about it. Beagle got into the fight willingly and lost. Sure, Asham exagerated a little with the celebrations, I do agree, but Ovy had no case. Man up or shut up. It is easy to yap with a high pitch voice from the box.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Saku11

Im not sure if anyone agrees , but I actually think that that Ovie is pound for pound the biggest ***** in the league.The guy is huge, but his only fight was when he jumped Dubinsky.Yea Sid jumped a guy, but atleast he has like 3-4 legimate fights with guys that everyone didnt think he coulnt handle.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:16 PM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Asham deserves to take **** for that. I don't blame people for reacting that way.
Why exactly would he deserve it? Did Brad Marchand get crucified when he did his little gesture in the playoffs? What about Probert when he did his championship belt gesture? Its not a big deal and to sit there and say "hey lets fist fight and try to give each other concussions but then afterwards don't do anything mean" is just idiotic if you ask me. In fact, I thought Asham showed class when he tapped his stick after realizing that Beagle was hurt. Typical Canadian media like TSN is going to blow everything up like they usually do (not that American media is any better) and most people can see right past all the hype.

TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:20 PM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStinger View Post
Ovechkin ticked me off with his rant at Asham when he got in the penalty box. Asham was right to tell him to F off. If Ovie was that upset by it, why didn't he or someone else get Asham the next time he was on the ice?

Because Boudreau told them to forget it, it wasn't important. It was a mutual fight, no-one got jumped and there was a winner and a loser, just like always. Sure, Arron was a little over the top in his celebration but once he saw that Beagle was hurt and then was able to get up and off the ice, he tapped his stick in respect.

He didn't mean to hurt him, but it happens. Like I said before, if Ovechkin was that upset over it don't just yell at him through the glass, go get him. Otherwise shut the hell up.
He didnt do anything about it because hes a wuss. He can sit inside the penalty box and yap all day but this is a guy who couldn't even handle Dubinsky much less Arron Asham.

TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:54 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
If he was that mad about it, he should have done something about it. Beagle got into the fight willingly and lost. Sure, Asham exagerated a little with the celebrations, I do agree, but Ovy had no case. Man up or shut up. It is easy to yap with a high pitch voice from the box.
Most players in the league yap but don't man up. Cooke and Talbot spend the whole game talking trash.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 07:50 AM
The Old Master

Quote:
this is how it should be done.......if not, just shut up.

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Ovechkin ticked me off with his rant at Asham when he got in the penalty box. Asham was right to tell him to F off. If Ovie was that upset by it, why didn't he or someone else get Asham the next time he was on the ice?Because Boudreau told them to forget it, it wasn't important. It was a mutual fight, no-one got jumped and there was a winner and a loser, just like always. Sure, Arron was a little over the top in his celebration but once he saw that Beagle was hurt and then was able to get up and off the ice, he tapped his stick in respect.

to be fair, ovie's brand of physical intimidation isn't going toe to toe with another willing combatant. he's more of the wait-until-the-guy-is-in-a-vulnerable-position-then-take-3-strides-and-run-him-or-stick-out-my-knee type of player. he's an opportunistic "tough guy".

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Speaking of hypocrisy, there were a LOT of people bent out of shape last season when Gillies taunted Tangradi. I'm glad Husker mentioned that. Well, now the shoe's on the other foot. I wonder how many are defending Asham here, but were all over Gillies.

Personally, I don't like either gesture but it's not something I'd make a meal out of. It's bush league. But I loved Asham's quick and succinct apology afterward. That was great. Whether someone suggested he do so or whether it came from within him, I liked it.

As for Ovie, I wonder what the reaction would be had Mark Messier stepped up and said what he said in response. "Great Canadian captain, right there!" Or, "the best captain ever." Ovie and every other European captain in the NHL can't win with the media. Because he hasn't won the Cup, nobody ever gives him any credit even WHEN he acts like a leader. Mike Richards basically said the same thing about P.K. Subban early last season, and was praised for it.

To me, that's a total double-standard. I don't expect anybody on this board to agree, because everybody hates Ovie here. And that always amuses me as well, because he came dangerously close to becoming a Penguin in '04...and everybody here would love and adore him.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Speaking of hypocrisy, there were a LOT of people bent out of shape last season when Gillies taunted Tangradi. I'm glad Husker mentioned that. Well, now the shoe's on the other foot. I wonder how many are defending Asham here, but were all over Gillies.

Personally, I don't like either gesture but it's not something I'd make a meal out of. It's bush league. But I loved Asham's quick and succinct apology afterward. That was great. Whether someone suggested he do so or whether it came from within him, I liked it.

As for Ovie, I wonder what the reaction would be had Mark Messier stepped up and said what he said in response. "Great Canadian captain, right there!" Or, "the best captain ever." Ovie and every other European captain in the NHL can't win with the media. Because he hasn't won the Cup, nobody ever gives him any credit even WHEN he acts like a leader. Mike Richards basically said the same thing about P.K. Subban early last season, and was praised for it.

To me, that's a total double-standard. I don't expect anybody on this board to agree, because everybody hates Ovie here. And that always amuses me as well, because he came dangerously close to becoming a Penguin in '04...and everybody here would love and adore him.
the gillies and asham events are completely different on 2 levels.

first, gillies ran tangradi and jumped him. asham and beagle were willing combatants. in fact, beagle challenged asham.

second, gillies watched as tangradi was getting medical attention and proceeded to point at the guy and taunt. asham only knew he had won the fight and made (a foolish) gesture to the crowd. he immediately appologized, and based on his long standing rep as a respectable player, this apology has been accepted. even a few caps players, along with budreau deemed it acceptable.

as far as your mike richards and ovie analogy, the big flaw there is that i have never seen mike richards do a "stick on fire" dance. ovie didn't appreciate an excessive celebration. it's not a north amercian bias, it was flat out hypocrisy.

Last edited by Sour Shoes: 10-15-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Apples and oranges. Gillies cheapshotted Tangradi who had never done anything to any Isle past or present, and berated and taunted him while he was down and being treated. Asham knocked out a guy who was starting trouble, celebrated the win to the crowd and immediately recognized his mistake. Asham wasn't taunting anybody, he was showboating and apologized at the earliest opportunity.

Quote:
As for Ovie, I wonder what the reaction would be had Mark Messier stepped up and said what he said in response. "Great Canadian captain, right there!" Or, "the best captain ever."
On Coaches' Corner sure. On this board here? I doubt it. Pretty much everyone knows that Messier, while a very good and successful leader, was also dirty and self-aggrandizing with an ego the size of an aircraft carrier.

Quote:
Ovie and every other European captain in the NHL can't win with the media. Because he hasn't won the Cup, nobody ever gives him any credit even WHEN he acts like a leader. Mike Richards basically said the same thing about P.K. Subban early last season, and was praised for it.

It's not a double standard. No one hammers Lidström or Chara for their leadership, no one ever told Mats Sundin to shut up. Alfredsson is considered a very good leader (if he's not shooting pucks at people). On the other hand a guys like Thornton, Richards or Phaneuf have gotten tons of flak for their perceived lack of leadership. Fact is simply that Ovechkin is a showboating attention ***** with a history of dirty plays and never owning up to them. The first thing I thought when he made his comment about lack of respect was "Yeah like you're the one to talk".

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
. The first thing I thought when he made his comment about lack of respect was "Yeah like you're the one to talk".
Agreed.He is so "respectful" himself

Old
10-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Mondello
One, and out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
Agreed.He is so "respectful" himself
I thought it was funny.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 12:17 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
I thought it was funny.
But you left out the best part of that video sequence, Cindy complaining to the referees about the hats being thrown on the ice.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
But you left out the best part of that video sequence, Cindy complaining to the referees about the hats being thrown on the ice.
Meh, that was one incident.The players still think he is te best role model in the game so im happy.

Old
10-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Florentino Ariza

You can't compare what gillies did to what asham did. One guy stood over a player who was clearly concussed and the other punched a guy in the face in a fight and gloated immediately after, while the adrenaline was high. If you compare these two incidents, you are ********

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:15 PM
JTG

Had Beagle not been seriously hurt, Asham's move would have been held in the same regard as Talbot's move when he fought Carcillo.

Asham very clearly didn't know Beagle was as hurt as he was.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Florentino Ariza

Exactly, which is why there is nothing to see here. Even what ovechkin did...you would want your captain who doesn't fight to bark at the guy. I think there is nothing to see here

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote