HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

3 games in 4 days, which goalie plays which games?

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2005, 09:35 PM
easton122

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
3 games in 4 days, which goalie plays which games?

Personally, I would play Niittymaki against Florida, Esche against Carolina and Niittymaki against Ottawa.

Esche has blown it against the Rangers, Leafs and Habs.

Niittymaki played good against the Devils and almost blew it against the Pens but the point is he pulled out a win in OT unlike Esche.

I want to see Niittymaki get tested by possibly the best offense in the league on Sunday. If he responds great maybe Hitch should strongly consider a 50-50 rotation.

Old
10-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Brad*

I honestly don't know what I would do if I were coach, but I have a good guess as to what Hitchcock would do: Niittymaki against Florida; Esche against Carolina and Ottawa.

Old
10-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Esche vs Ottawa and Carolina.

Old
10-25-2005, 10:12 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
Esche has blown it against the Rangers, Leafs and Habs.
I dont know what games you were watching, but he most definately did not blow it against the Habs. The Flyers team defense was remeniscent of the Pens in that and the Toronto game. If he wasnt spectacular those games we would have lost by a large margin.

Old
10-25-2005, 10:16 PM
easton122

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I dont know what games you were watching, but he most definately did not blow it against the Habs. The Flyers team defense was remeniscent of the Pens in that and the Toronto game. If he wasnt spectacular those games we would have lost by a large margin.
I am talking more about that second goal when he let out that massive rebound. He played great and I would've been singing his praises but 1 weak goal and he lost it in OT.

Nitty let up a weak goal against Pittsburgh and the Flyers were playing just as bad. However, he held tight and made it so the Flyers could pull out an OT win.

Maybe blowing the Habs game was a bit harsh but he basically cancelled out his great game with that one bad goal.

Last edited by easton122: 10-25-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old
10-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Quote:

THANK YOU....where were u when i needed you in the GDT

Old
10-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
OT But Hexy made it on TSN's list of top 10 tough guy goals.

Old
10-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Brad*

Quote:
The Flyers played much better than Toronto in the 2nd half, and on the whole, controlled that game. Against Montreal, the Flyers weren't very good but the Habs weren't much better. There's a reason why it was 3-2 OT game; it was very close. I have absolutely no idea where you've come to the conclusion that the Flyers could have lost either of those games by "large margins." The Flyers beat the Leafs 5-2, and with the way Belfour was playing, could have completely blown them out of the water. With a couple of bounces tonight, they could have easily won 3-2. They weren't going to win out, they were going to lose some time, it just happened to be tonight.

Esche has been alright, but he is still a long way off from the way he was playing in the playoffs last season. One thing that worries me is that in the past, Esche could make the first save like he usually does, and with the rules the Flyers' defenseman could remove all of the opposing players from the slot area to keep off rebounds. This time around, when Esche kicks a fat rebound into the slot, the Flyers can't just mow people down to prevent them from getting to the puck or they'll receive a penalty 9 times out of 10. I don't want to sound like an alarmist or like I'm blaming Esche, because he is not the reason why the Flyers lost to Montreal and has been IMO solid for his last three starts, but I am concerned that he won't return to the form we want him to (i.e, the way he played last playoffs), and we just might have to live with him at the level in which he is playing now, or a little better.

Old
10-26-2005, 12:13 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
I finally understand what all the fuss is about Esche's rebound control.....yikes on the Ribiero goal.

Old
10-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
I finally understand what all the fuss is about Esche's rebound control.....yikes on the Ribiero goal.
Yeah, it's ugly. The frustrating thing is tools like Pierre McGuire screaming, "He needs to fix that!" He's not going to be able to fix it, he will always have a problem with rebound control. Unless he can find a way to turn back the clock to the time in which he was learning to play goal and completely change his style, rebounds will always been the weak point in his game. The team, and Esche, will just have to learn to minimize it's effect and live with it.

Old
10-26-2005, 12:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
My guess is Niittymaki plays in Carolina because thats the back end in a different city

Old
10-26-2005, 12:46 AM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

As a Sens fan , and going to the game on Sunday night , I would have to say Niittymaki , just cause I think it would only take a goal or two for the Sens to jump on him and get him playing "shaky". Although I would like to see a good game as I'm looking forward to the game and know Esche is capable of putting up a better performance. Than again Nittymaki could very well be capable of getting hot and playing a solid game for you guys , while Esche hasen't looked so great latley , especially blowing another lead to the Habs tonight. But hey you also want to give Nittymaki a chance and playing him against the Sens can prove to be quite the challange and big game for him , see what he can do!

I know that the Sens have the exact same situation , and will have to make a decision on who starts which games with 3 games in 4 nights against Montreal Thursday , Toronto Saturday and Philly Sunday. I would say give Hasek Montreal and Philly and let Emery see Toronto which would be a big game for him.
I know you guy's couldn't give a c*ap about the Sens situation , but just thought i'd bring it up.

So , just giving my 2 cents and making for some good conversation , but really , I'm really looking forward to the game Sunday as it should be a good one!

Go Go!! Sorry guys I had to throw that one in .....but speak to you guys Sunday!

Old
10-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike755
As a Sens fan , and going to the game on Sunday night , I would have to say Niittymaki , just cause I think it would only take a goal or two for the Sens to jump on him and get him playing "shaky".
Eh, I don't know about that. Niittymaki is rarely rattled, and hasn't actually had a "bad" game in his NHL career. The game against Pittsburgh wasn't pretty, but the goals (except for the infamous one) were all legit. Personally, I think Niittymaki is better than Esche right now, but is held back because of his lack of experience.

Old
10-26-2005, 02:30 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah, it's ugly. The frustrating thing is tools like Pierre McGuire screaming, "He needs to fix that!" He's not going to be able to fix it, he will always have a problem with rebound control. Unless he can find a way to turn back the clock to the time in which he was learning to play goal and completely change his style, rebounds will always been the weak point in his game. The team, and Esche, will just have to learn to minimize it's effect and live with it.
Those guys are funny. Esche at 27 is going to fix a flaw that has been in his game for years. His rebound control was poor when he was 16 years old. Professional Goalie Coaches have been working with him on his rebounds for years and while I'm sure it's helped him, he's past the age where goaltenders develop.

The Ribiero goal was ugly, but what the hell were Desjardins and Therien on that play? They were putzing around, not paying attention.

You go Esche, Niitty, Esche in that order if I'm Hitch.

Old
10-26-2005, 03:38 AM
PRB

Quote:
I am talking more about that second goal when he let out that massive rebound. He played great and I would've been singing his praises but 1 weak goal and he lost it in OT.
So he made one mistake.. how many mistakes did each oneof our defencemen, and forwards make? I bet ya it was more than Esche made. He gave up 3 goals in 65minutes on 29 shots with only one goal being his fault you say. Thats not such a bad preformance!!

Quote:
Nitty let up a weak goal against Pittsburgh and the Flyers were playing just as bad. However, he held tight and made it so the Flyers could pull out an OT win.
So had the flyers scored in overtime againt the habs, this would have been the exact same thing and Esche would have been fine?

Quote:
Maybe blowing the Habs game was a bit harsh but he basically cancelled out his great game with that one bad goal.
Right!!! Well what can I say, All our players who missed them scoring oportunities. That cancelled out the great games they where having.

Old
10-26-2005, 02:12 PM
easton122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast Giants
So he made one mistake.. how many mistakes did each oneof our defencemen, and forwards make? I bet ya it was more than Esche made. He gave up 3 goals in 65minutes on 29 shots with only one goal being his fault you say. Thats not such a bad preformance!!

So had the flyers scored in overtime againt the habs, this would have been the exact same thing and Esche would have been fine?

Right!!! Well what can I say, All our players who missed them scoring oportunities. That cancelled out the great games they where having.
Goaltenders can't win you games but they sure can lose them.

Old
10-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Kafka

I think also that Niitty will only play the game against Florida. However, if he plays well and Esche struggles, I expect Niitty to be given a real chance.

I got to watch Esche yesterday. He looked like Belfour during the last playoff run against Ottawa: the puck was hitting him. You could tell he didn't know were the puck was going (looking on the wrong side, etc), but he got lucky and kept his team in the game. That is not the kind of goaltending a team wants when it aims a Stanley Cup.

In Montreal, I guy named Jeff Hackett got injuried. 24 years old Jose Theodore took the job and won the Hart and Vezina awards. Niitty is 25, won the AHL MVP, won the Calder Cup: give him a chance!

Old
10-27-2005, 04:26 AM
PRB

Quote:
Goaltenders can't win you games but they sure can lose them.
And so can defensive mistakes infront of him. As I said, I bet they where as much at fault for goals as Esche was, infact maybe moreso.

Old
10-27-2005, 05:57 AM
Nacho
Special

Nitty should start tonight, and if he does a good job, then he should get next game too...

Old
10-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Esche will start tonight and Antero the next.

Old
10-27-2005, 11:46 AM
phlacheesesteak

i agree with Esche(florida), Nitty(Carolina), and Esche(Ottowa)..
http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...chman/2248.asp
- a little note about goalies n stuff

Old
10-27-2005, 12:16 PM
facts

The flyers should go with Esche for all 3. 2 reasons. 1. After the long layoff he needs some starts. 2. We are playing some good teams and this is his opportunity to show his stuff if he plays well in the 3 you go with him- if not you give Nitty the nod and see what happens- this wakes up the whole team and desperation turns into good performances.

Closed Thread