HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Forwards giving defenceman stick

Old
10-15-2011, 08:50 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
Forwards giving defenceman stick

When a defenceman loses his stick and a forward gives him his, is this a good idea? I see it done a lot, but i think sticks are much more useful to a forward than a defenceman in the defensive zone. Especially on the PK. Active sticks are key out high in the zone, in front of the net a defenceman should use their bodies more than their stick. Forwards also should try to get their stick in the way of shots, defenceman cant do this or they may cause a deflection in front. I just always thought it was a bad idea. Anybody else agree?

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:27 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
When a defenceman loses his stick and a forward gives him his, is this a good idea? I see it done a lot, but i think sticks are much more useful to a forward than a defenceman in the defensive zone. Especially on the PK. Active sticks are key out high in the zone, in front of the net a defenceman should use their bodies more than their stick. Forwards also should try to get their stick in the way of shots, defenceman cant do this or they may cause a deflection in front. I just always thought it was a bad idea. Anybody else agree?
They do it for a reason (well, multiple)

- Dmen need to lift sticks out of the way to prevent deflections
- quickly clear pucks away form the crease/slot area
- block cross-crease passes
- poke check players in deep

- forwards shouldn't really try to get their sticks in the way of shots (shooting and passing lanes yes, but not shots) as deflections might occur and you could score on your own net

Am I missing anything?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:21 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Forwards don't need a stick as bad in that situation, just get your body in the shooting lane.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:43 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

A lot of times a defenceman will go below the goal line to get the puck and dump it out of the zone, so you need a stick for that. Also, once the puck has been dumped it is easier for a forward already near the blue line to then either get off or get another stick from the bench.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote